Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Rufus Ping posted:

Uninstall Flash. If you actually got infected with something, this is almost certainly how it happened.

Also
  • upgrade to Windows 10 if your hardware supports it
  • install EMET
  • preferably use Chrome rather than Firefox
  • get rid of your third party antivirus software (but leave Windows Defender enabled)
Good work on running uBlock

Win 10 supersedes emet iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's worth mentioning that uBlock Origin supersedes uBlock, too.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Samizdata posted:

Also, as far as expertise goes, I think it makes more sense to stick with a company that specializes in AV as opposed to it being yet another in a line of products.
Try thinking about this another way. Given that AV works with the OS quite initmately, the company that makes Windows is likely to have in-house expertise about said OS that other AV vendors could only dream of. Same goes for Office, too - knowing how that works means you can make your AV play better with it.

Malcolm XML posted:

Win 10 supersedes emet iirc
Not really. One of EMET 5.5's main points was that it included win10 support. If you're running 10 Enterprise on UEFI hardware with TPM enabled, Device Guard & Applocker turned on, and only using binaries compiled on recent Visual Studio versions you probably won't gain much from it. Otherwise it's still potentially useful.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MS' own literature suggests EMET is useful for older applications that haven't been recompiled for Win10 specifically.

Samizdata posted:

How's this from last year?
https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/avc_fdt_201509_en.pdf

They use the Defender as the out of box baseline with the worst detection rate.

Even if you assume this is 100% true, which it isn't, 3rd party AV introduces more problems than it solves.
From those test sites:
Industry average slowdown for web: 21% (AVG 33%)
Industry average slowdown for common programs performance: 6%
Industry average slowdown for common program launch: 15%
Industry average slowdown for file access: 13%
Industry average slowdown for installation: 30-50%
Number of 3rd party AVs without major root-level access exploits in the last 12 months: 0

The whole free-AV industry has been repeatedly broiled in controversy after being caught doing MITM attacks on your browser, and selling browsing data to third parties.

Now if you were to define a program that worsened system performance by 15-50% per scenario, opened backdoors to exploits, reduced browser security and sold your data, would I be talking about an AV or the malware it's designed to stop?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

Now if you were to define a program that worsened system performance by 15-50% per scenario, opened backdoors to exploits, reduced browser security and sold your data, would I be talking about an AV or the malware it's designed to stop?

Both. :3:

Relevant side-question from the discussion on the last page, anyone got a good breakdown of HTML5 vs. Flash in terms of security and vulnerabilities? Is it sandboxed better to prevent egregious poo poo, less long-standing known security flaws, smaller current userbase, etc.?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Relevant side-question from the discussion on the last page, anyone got a good breakdown of HTML5 vs. Flash in terms of security and vulnerabilities? Is it sandboxed better to prevent egregious poo poo, less long-standing known security flaws, smaller current userbase, etc.?

They're really two different things entirely.

HTML is just a markup language which your browser parses and feeds into its layout engine to render the page. Videos are simply embedded using the <video> element which contains a URL to the video file which the browser downloads and plays back. The browser doesn't actually "execute" anything (Ignoring JS).

On the other hand, Flash objects (SWFs) are essentially compiled applications which are executed by the Flash Player plug-in. This is the main reason why Flash is inherently dangerous, you're executing untrusted code on your machine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cheese-cube posted:

They're really two different things entirely.

HTML is just a markup language which your browser parses and feeds into its layout engine to render the page. Videos are simply embedded using the <video> element which contains a URL to the video file which the browser downloads and plays back. The browser doesn't actually "execute" anything (Ignoring JS).

On the other hand, Flash objects (SWFs) are essentially compiled applications which are executed by the Flash Player plug-in. This is the main reason why Flash is inherently dangerous, you're executing untrusted code on your machine.

How do games in HTML5 work then?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Squeegy posted:

How do games in HTML5 work then?

HTML5 introduced the <canvas> element which allows you to draw graphics using javascript.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Isn't Javascript also notoriously insecure?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Squeegy posted:

Isn't Javascript also notoriously insecure?

What gave you this impression?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jabor posted:

What gave you this impression?

Like a decade of hearing it slagged by people who hate Java.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Squeegy posted:

Java and Javascript are two extremely different things.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Squeegy posted:

Java and JavaScript are about as similar as car and carpet.

Java browser applets are horribly insecure because they can do way more to your computer than you might like, and Oracle (company that owns the Java language) actively discourages them, partially by making it nearly impossible to run them. Java is one of the most popular languages for businesses because for back-end applications such as webservers it's a perfectly fine language. Of course, in that case they're mostly running code they're familiar with on machines they own or rent, so there's no point in using it to gently caress up a server. And in that case the code itself isn't executed on the end-user's machine so he's safe too.

To be clear, both Java browser applets and Flash run their own code on your computer, which means that with a little bit of trickery they can get into your file system.

JavaScript is basically executed by your web browser. That's one of the reasons why you hear webdevs complain about older version of Internet Explorer so often: it doesn't understand a lot of JavaScript syntax, breaking loads of modern websites. On most sites, JavaScript does tiny stuff like validate if a form is filled in correctly, or dynamically showing parts of the page if you click on "view more". But it is possible to run complete applications in JavaScript.
Because the browser executes it, it's basically up to the browser to not allow a script to do any evil things. But you have to trust browsers anyway because they are programs installed on your computer which means they can access your filesystem no matter what. And browsers have a reputation to keep up. It doesn't run on its own like Java or Flash so the risk isn't as high.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Subjunctive is a really good person to comment on JavaScript's past and present really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

Subjunctive is a really good person to comment on JavaScript's past and present really.

I hate you.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

OSI bean dip posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

I thought callout posts were frowned upon.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
AV is bad and I wont defend it. To the AV defenders though.... at least don't rely on some report which is touting insane levels of detection (99%+ lol).

Here is the data from VirusTotal, detection rates on the entire corpus for files with a detection rate of 5+ of the scanners listed:

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 24, 2016

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015
I shouldn't be surprised that there are that many AV products and they have stupid names like "ALYac" but here I am.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

yoloer420 posted:

Here is the data from VirusTotal, detection rates on the entire corpus for files with a detection rate of 5+ of the scanners listed:

Qihoo-360 is the third best AV? This Qihoo 360? I'm sceptical. The first- and second-placegetters are the latest additions (two months ago, according to the blog), so they probably have a temporary advantage, but Qihoo's been there for much longer...

e: Going back and reading the picture description properly, the 'temporary advantage' I suggested doesn't actually make sense, at least in the way I assumed. Still suspicious of Qihoo though.

uvar fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 26, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uvar posted:

Qihoo-360 is the third best AV? This Qihoo 360? I'm sceptical. The first- and second-placegetters are the latest additions (two months ago, according to the blog), so they probably have a temporary advantage, but Qihoo's been there for much longer...

e: Going back and reading the picture description properly, the 'temporary advantage' I suggested doesn't actually make sense, at least in the way I assumed. Still suspicious of Qihoo though.
An AV product can be very good at virus detection and also very bad at a great many other things. This is one of the reasons antivirus programs are considered harmful.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Plenty of those top-scoring AVs on VT will just flag almost any unsigned exe as a virus.
So not surprising they catch most.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So I'm a retard and accidentally clicked on a spam link in Skype one of my friends sent me after he had his account stolen.

Should I assume my computer now has mega aids or is that the sort of thing that typically is less immediately harmful? It linked to a mostly blank page that was presumably full of blocked adds, so I'm sort-of hoping it was just aiming to rack up views, and anything more malignant would've gotten blocked by adblocker.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Cuntellectual posted:

So I'm a retard and accidentally clicked on a spam link in Skype one of my friends sent me after he had his account stolen.

Should I assume my computer now has mega aids or is that the sort of thing that typically is less immediately harmful? It linked to a mostly blank page that was presumably full of blocked adds, so I'm sort-of hoping it was just aiming to rack up views, and anything more malignant would've gotten blocked by adblocker.

Change your passwords and do a scan. Did you friend tell you what they found? I'd be weary that it could be a timed crypto malware so you may want to make sure your backups are in order.

Also can you PM me the link? I'd like to see its contents.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

Change your passwords and do a scan. Did you friend tell you what they found? I'd be weary that it could be a timed crypto malware so you may want to make sure your backups are in order.

Also can you PM me the link? I'd like to see its contents.

I sent you the link. I haven't actually talked to the friend since that happened, as they've been at work.

Anyways I'm doing a scan now, and I'll change my passwords once I have access to something that isn't potentially compromised to do it on. I disconnected my computer from the internet, but I'm computer illiterate and not entirely sure what that timed crypto malware thing means. :v:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Cuntellectual posted:

I sent you the link. I haven't actually talked to the friend since that happened, as they've been at work.

Anyways I'm doing a scan now, and I'll change my passwords once I have access to something that isn't potentially compromised to do it on. I disconnected my computer from the internet, but I'm computer illiterate and not entirely sure what that timed crypto malware thing means. :v:

I look at the URL you sent me and it looks like it may be sending you to a fake Forbes news site. The fact that it didn't do anything is interesting.

If anyone is curious:

code:
<script>window.location.replace("http://khabcash.ru/")</script>
<noscript><META http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL='http://khabcash.ru/'"></noscript>
(Don't visit the URL unless you are aware of what you're doing)

The URL in question redirects to a random spam page that looks like this:

It looks like your friend is infected but a cursory look at the page shows nothing that jumps out at me that'll lead you to getting infected yourself--I am sort of crunched for time here so I cannot go further. I'd just change the password to your computer, Skype, and anything else that was logged in at the time and just keep an eye on your computer to ensure that no funny business is going on.

Regarding the crypto stuff, I meant ransomware that encrypts the data on your storage.

Pancakius
Sep 2, 2011
Apparently I'm also a retard since I drunkenly opened a link from a bot on Twitch chat to a sketchy image site.

I'm running NoScript and uBlock on my browser and I was faced with a white page with nothing on it before I exited out. Scanning brought up
nothing and it doesn't look like any of my accounts have been compromised, but how paranoid should I be about something stealthy being on my system?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you've got noscript and ublock and you didn't allow anything you should be okay.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rexxed posted:

If you've got noscript and ublock and you didn't allow anything you should be okay.
lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

remember kids even the run of the mill exploit kit allows for single-serve exploits, don't trust a second check on an url

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, the fact it didn't seem to do anything is part of what concerned me, being neanderthal who can barely figure out how to turn a computer on. :v:

Regardless I did a scan with MSE (am I going to get laughed at for that :saddowns:) which didn't show anything and changed my passwords. I don't do any banking on my computer but I've bought stuff off of Amazon and Steam with a credit card. Going off my limited knowledge, that should be encrypted and probably okay even if I got a keylogger since I haven't re-entered it? I'll keep an eye out, at any rate.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was gonna post here because I was having weird issues with embedded redirects, ads at the end of posts, and the inability to view SA pages that had &userid involved. But then I cleared my cookies and that fixed it. :welp:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Very helpful.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Forgall posted:

Very helpful.
Thank you.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's better security for a gmail account, 2 step verification where you need a password and a code, or using my phone to sign in where it asks for my fingerprint?

Is the phone sign in easy to spoof? Are they both easy to spoof?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BigFactory posted:

What's better security for a gmail account, 2 step verification where you need a password and a code, or using my phone to sign in where it asks for my fingerprint?

2 step authentication is always better. Many phone manufactures have been caught storing fingerprints as unencrypted bmp files.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Phone has a lot of benefits and is easier since you'll probably have your 2fa on that phone.

E: fingerprints aren't secrets

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

apseudonym posted:

Phone has a lot of benefits and is easier since you'll probably have your 2fa on that phone.

E: fingerprints aren't secrets

Biometrics aren't secrets. :)

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Biometrics aren't secrets. :)

If I never go outside of my basement my face is totally a secret. Goons are secure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I have a stupid question -- I'm trying to finally get a password manager, and I was looking into KeePass cause it's free. I have a windows desktop, a mac laptop, and a linux machine at work. Is KeePassX legit? It seems to cover all of my platforms and people seem to hate KeePass less than the other free options.

Edit: Actually nevermind, 1Password has a family option so I'm just gonna go in on it with my parents. Seems like the best way to go at the moment.

Neurostorm fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 23, 2016