Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

straight up brolic posted:

I know it's California so this is irrelevant , but shouldn't the death penalty not be a referenda issue. If 49% of your electorate is against state supported murder and 51% is for it, it doesn't seem like a compelling mandate to make that ethical decision.

Forget about it Jake, it's California. It's just California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can we please stop acting like the Clintons had a chance to veto DOMA? It was passed with veto-proof majority.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I know it's California so this is irrelevant , but shouldn't the death penalty not be a referenda issue. If 49% of your electorate is against state supported murder and 51% is for it, it doesn't seem like a compelling mandate to make that ethical decision.

You could make it like Florida and require 2/3 of the votes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I would vote for HIllary over Trump if she was a lesbian, had parkinson's, killed Vince Foster or frankly, was dead.

Wouldn't be the first time the republicans lost to a literal corpse.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It makes about as much sense as putting a peace deal or your country's status as part of the EU up to a referendum.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

berserker posted:

Yeah but would you care if they were not human??
I'm guessing that if that were true that they would be a better sort of not human than Trumpster Fire.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

iospace posted:

Can we please stop acting like the Clintons had a chance to veto DOMA? It was passed with veto-proof majority.

I'm just waiting for someone to retread the DADT argument -- again.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

He still could've vetoed it as a symbolic gesture, though. Like Obama recently did with the "sue foreign countries" bill.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

comingafteryouall posted:

Most surprising thing Trump could do: come out, and spend every minute apologizing for everything he has said and done. Just a real tearful, snot-nosed, ugly cry in the middle of the apology. Then give Clinton a hug and thank her for giving him courage to repent for all of his sins by standing up to him.

I can't decide if this would get him elected or make the landslide worse.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

NewMars posted:

Wouldn't be the first time the republicans lost to a literal corpse.

I'm drawing a blank here.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
gently caress you idiots who think Mainers want him because whiteness, most don't. There were two left options and only one right. Maine is pretty well left leaning and has been pretty non partisan in the past. Hell we had for a period an independent governor, with Rs in the Senate and Ds in the house.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

iospace posted:

Why do we have to pretend that? If anything that makes their defense of signing it that they were trying to "prevent a constitutional amendment from being passed instead" even more tenuous.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

He still could've vetoed it as a symbolic gesture, though. Like Obama recently did with the "sue foreign countries" bill.

You know how people say they admire political courage? They are mostly lying.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/788538743950938112
Trump: 'Hillary is sooooo corrupt. Look at this quote from known authority Donald Trump, who completely agrees with me'.

Drain the Swamp? Guess Trump is bound and determined to lose Florida.

Boon posted:

Anyone know what the impact of a cycle like this is over the long-term?

Like. I have to imagine that Arizona, Texas, Georgia, all registering D's and voting in this cycle is going to drive long-term gains as more people are now registered, have bought in, etc.. etc...

Donald Trump may have very well accelerated the demise of the modern GOP just by being himself if there is any statistically significant relation between this cycle and upcoming ones.

Theoretically it could be a hastening of the Republican Demographic Apocalypses. But since Donny is the standard bearer of the Republicans it's really hard to tell and most likely it doesn't transfer at all. Maybe post President Obama can inspire Democrats to turn out for midterms, but probably not and we'll have to wait and see just how close to their groin the Republicans decide to shoot themselves in 2020.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Has there been any talk of how accurate these polls are regarding the Hispanic community? That seems pretty relevant in places like AZ. I would assume 'likely voter' weighting would downplay some of their impact since historically their turnout has lagged behind other groups, but OTOH they haven't had an opposition candidate like Trump before so any idea which way pollsters go with it?

The Hispanic vote is usually underrepresented in polls, especially polls that are English only. This plays a big role in every single Nevada cycle looking real bad for the Democrats and then it turning out they were OK the whole time. Likely voter screens are most likely going to be getting a thorough post election examination, because a lot of assumptions that seem to be being made are odd considering the current climate.

Internet Webguy posted:

"I'm curious if my opponent has read the terrible story on the cover of this week's National Enquirer."

"Is Bat Boy on the loose again?"

Still tormenting Florida from his Tallahassee lair, yes.

Squeegy posted:

Yeah, DOMA was pretty iconic

Always nice when people who know absolutely nothing about the 90s try and make a point.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What the actual gently caress? Is he prepping for a debate or recruiting for some kind of crazy reality tv show

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

iospace posted:

To be totally fair, Bill Clinton could have done the better thing, which would have been to do what Obama did - veto the bill and let Congress overturn the veto. It would have sent a much better message from the President, even if it meant he'd have the "stain" of an overturned veto on his record.

But honestly those were different times. We forget that nationally support for marriage equality was far lower than it is these days.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Guy A. Person posted:

What the actual gently caress? Is he prepping for a debate or recruiting for some kind of crazy reality tv show

I'm guessing the Fox News debate committee is not going to be as firm about this stuff as the last one was.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Squeegy posted:

I'm guessing the Fox News debate committee is not going to be as firm about this stuff as the last one was.

What do you mean it's the same committee

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

berserker posted:

But honestly those were different times. We forget that nationally support for marriage equality was far lower than it is these days.
Matthew Shepard's death was still 2 years away. There's been some pretty serious changes over the last 20 years.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Guy A. Person posted:

They're really the same thing this election.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Yeah I'm not sure how many times this needs to be said but this is not a "Fox News" debate, it's a debate that's hosted by someone employed by Fox News.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Squeegy posted:

It's the exact same committee, it's just moderated by a fox news anchorman.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
hillary has actually done a lot as secretary of state for lgbt people, plus as a community we've come a long way in a short time in terms of public image.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

berserker posted:

Interracial marriage was made legal in all 50 states 28 years before it had majority approval.

It turns out that marriage isn't any more applicable for public referendum than the death penalty.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Squeegy posted:

Fox News has nothing to do with the debate other than loaning Wallace out to an ungrateful world.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Guy A. Person posted:

This is Trump we're talking about.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

berserker posted:

To be totally fair, Bill Clinton could have done the better thing, which would have been to do what Obama did - veto the bill and let Congress overturn the veto. It would have sent a much better message from the President, even if it meant he'd have the "stain" of an overturned veto on his record.

far lower? it was single digits iirc

this ex-post-facto condemnations from two decades ago that were prior to a paradigm shift in acceptance of gays and lesbians are tedious.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

GalacticAcid posted:

john ashcroft

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Missouri,_2000

The democratic candidate died several weeks before the election finished and still won a majority.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

This is Trump we're talking about.

the bar is literally on the floor

he is tunneling under the bar

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

GalacticAcid posted:

Most recently, in 2000 Mel Carnahan won the Missouri senate election over John Ashcroft despite having died in an aircraft accident several weeks before the election.

edit: beaten like Carnahan beat Ashcraft. WP article about dead Congress critters that have won elections.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Squeegy posted:

Interracial marriage was made legal in all 50 states 28 years before it had majority approval.

Yes, everyone remembers when LBJ vetoed Congress and made Gay Marriage gay because he really dug how in love that couple from Virginia was.

Edit: Obviously I meant Gay Marriage legal. Not even the President can make Gay Marriage gayer.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 19, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What do you mean it's the same committee

I don't know that much about the inner workings of the debates, I only show up to see blood since I generally already know who I'm voting for well in advance of them. :shrug:

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Rip Testes posted:

He's pre-admitting to committing voter fraud? I'd never heard of this guy until yesterday with his suspicious video. It didn't seem to be very responsible thing put online, but hey, if it makes a buck. Capitalism did this.

The Salad man is one crazy dude. There are pictures of him putting his ding dong in a hot dog bun and a video of him peeing into his own mouth up on tumblr.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

NewMars posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Missouri,_2000

He died several weeks before the election finished and still won a majority.

Ahh that's right, thanks goons.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LGBT rights have in the last 20 years move forward tremendously in the USA which is pretty amazing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Christ, a frightening number of politicians or ex-politicians die in plane crashes, I'm going to refuse to fly with politicians on board.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

LGBT rights have in the last 20 years move forward tremendously in the USA which is pretty amazing.

Fox news even has gay presenters now

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Christ, a frightening number of politicians or ex-politicians die in plane crashes, I'm going to refuse to fly with politicians on board.

Small private planes aren't nearly as safe as commercial jetliners, and politicians fly a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Guy A. Person posted:

the bar is literally on the floor

he is tunneling under the bar

Dumb bastard probably thinks he's playing limbo.

• Locked thread