Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

straight up brolic posted:

I know it's California so this is irrelevant , but shouldn't the death penalty not be a referenda issue. If 49% of your electorate is against state supported murder and 51% is for it, it doesn't seem like a compelling mandate to make that ethical decision.

The death penalty there is weird anyway. There's almost 750 people on death row, but only 13 people have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated in 1982. And 0 people have been executed since 2006.

More death row inmates have died from disease or old age in California since 1982 then from execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy hell this is gonna be a shitshow.
1) Moderated by Fox News
2) Has all the conspiracy mongers invited
3) Trump unchained, probably gonna rant about media bias and poo poo nonstop.

Can...can we just stop it? Too much is too much. Like even Jerry Springer would call this a farce.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Goatman Sacks posted:

Small private planes aren't nearly as safe as commercial jetliners, and politicians fly a lot.

Yeah, but it seems like even by general aviation standards they have a lot of incidents. Get-there-itis leading pilots to take off in marginal conditions, maybe?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

2spooky4me posted:

far lower? it was single digits iirc

this ex-post-facto condemnations from two decades ago that were prior to a paradigm shift in acceptance of gays and lesbians are tedious.

Liberal pragmatism is cold comfort for people who grew up then and spent their youths fighting for poo poo that ended up being a knock-on effect of the late 90s way of doing thing. Canada had gay marriage in every province before there was a paradigm shift. Same with Mexico and Argentina's federal gay marriage laws.

Ultimately compromising did less than nothing if there was a veto proof majority.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Eh, they fly a lot, possibly more than any other career short of pilot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/788448383799169024
Dems are stealing this election, y'all. Now text me to vote for HRC

also let's be loving real the worst candy are those wax bottles

Oh cool, its the infamous "it was just a joke!" defense. We have a regular James O'Keefe over here.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Holy shot piiiissssss I had no idea The Dana Carvey show had anything of value and that Colbert was in it. The wrong guy from Wayne's World got botched heart operations and a hobbled career.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

I just found out there's a German version of the Daily Show and also found a guy on youtube who posts the whole show with english subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMfcMGLmLNk

Just thought some other people in the thread might get a kick out of it.

Proest click ever

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

1) Moderated by Fox News

Can...can we just stop it? Too much is too much. Like even Jerry Springer would call this a farce.

Jerry Springer has called this a farce. Or at least unamerican bastardry that belongs on his show.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Theoretically it could be a hastening of the Republican Demographic Apocalypses. But since Donny is the standard bearer of the Republicans it's really hard to tell and most likely it doesn't transfer at all. Maybe post President Obama can inspire Democrats to turn out for midterms, but probably not and we'll have to wait and see just how close to their groin the Republicans decide to shoot themselves in 2020.

The Hispanic vote is usually underrepresented in polls, especially polls that are English only. This plays a big role in every single Nevada cycle looking real bad for the Democrats and then it turning out they were OK the whole time. Likely voter screens are most likely going to be getting a thorough post election examination, because a lot of assumptions that seem to be being made are odd considering the current climate.

I don't know man. African Americans are the most staunch Democratic demographic precisely because of poo poo like this. LBJ basically saw to that. It makes sense that an entire voting generation have become Democrats due to this election and we already know that D voter registration is way up.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Just remember that Trump is going to go hard for his pants-on-head crazy base. He has shown nothing else recently. The most success he can likely have is on par with debate 2--that is, no significant success.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I actually did a paper on the shift in college, and I think a good amount of it was media representation. In relatively short succession, the Simpsons had an episode with John Waters as an openly gay protagonist in a story that wrangled with homophobia, Ellen came out on TV and in the media without her career completely collapsing (only, y'know, mostly), and Will and Grace started up with gay protagonists. These all had cultural impacts, and all served to dismantle a long-standing stereotype of gays as threats, predators, or punchlines. It didn't quite get there, but it provided a foothold.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

candy chat

The worst candy is candy cigarettes.

I hear you say, "But I don't live in a rural-Gothic novel with a dilapidated gas station staffed by a dower old man with a thousand yard stare waiting on the usual clientele of ghost truckers and blues musicians on their way to meat the devil. I have never had a candy cigarette." Next time you down some ibuprofen, chew it. There's your candy cigarette.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NewMars posted:

Jerry Springer has called this a farce. Or at least unamerican bastardry that belongs on his show.

I don't have a link to the tweet but

Jerry Springer posted:

Hillary Clinton belongs in the White House. Donald Trump belongs on my show

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dis astranagant posted:

:thurman:

Emote's gonna get a lot more work before November, I think. Hopefully it's in full force tomorrow.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

emdash posted:

Just remember that Trump is going to go hard for his pants-on-head crazy base. He has shown nothing else recently. The most success he can likely have is on par with debate 2--that is, no significant success.

I think he stands to gain ground with people pleading, begging, searching for reasons to feel good enough to vote for him this year.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Found it

https://twitter.com/jerryspringer/status/780601736327208960

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NewMars posted:

Jerry Springer was also a really good politician.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

dis astranagant posted:

Link here for the curious.

Btw it pays to learn the Twitter search operators if you ever have to look for old tweets.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Agnosticnixie posted:

Liberal pragmatism is cold comfort for people who grew up then and spent their youths fighting for poo poo that ended up being a knock-on effect of the late 90s way of doing thing. Canada had gay marriage in every province before there was a paradigm shift. Same with Mexico and Argentina's federal gay marriage laws.

Ultimately compromising did less than nothing if there was a veto proof majority.

Again this doesn't jive with my experiences talking to people in the community about it. Most folks care more about what a politician thinks about LGBT people in the year 2016 than what they thought in 1992 -- especially considering that there's plenty of folks on the other side of the aisle who are more than willing to roll back advances.

The whole thing smacks of axe-grinding tbqh.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

berserker posted:

Even SNL got in on that; I remember some skit where one of the men on the show was playing Reno and he busts through a wall like a linebacker.

edit: it was Will Ferrell

From a few pages back but that was actually Janet Reno, bursting into a sketch called Janet Reno Dance Party where she was played by Ferrell.

Insanely bad quality but you get the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyACwczjGTs

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SSNeoman posted:

1) Moderated by Fox News

The more of a shitshow is the more Trump loses. The conservative echochamber has convinced itself that the key to beating Clinton is for Trump to be an aggressive rear end in a top hat to her - it's why they think he won the 2nd debate in spite of every poll afterwards saying he lost. The people on fox have no idea that the poo poo he's spewing are furthering his gender gap because they keep interrupting their female cohosts mansplaining why Trump is a genius.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The second debate had way fewer viewers than the first one. I feel like this one is going to be an even bigger drop off. There are no crazy rumors flying for this one and it is on a week night. Plus, no big revelations since the Trump Tapes.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

From a few pages back but that was actually Janet Reno, bursting into a sketch called Janet Reno Dance Party where she was played by Ferrell.

Ah, the 90s. "The AG has short hair so SHE'S A MAN that's the joke"

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

comingafteryouall posted:

The second debate had way fewer viewers than the first one. I feel like this one is going to be an even bigger drop off. There are no crazy rumors flying for this one and it is on a week night. Plus, no big revelations since the Trump Tapes.

The general mood seems to be that people are just depressed by this election season. Why make it worse? It's not like there's going to be anything substantive on the table from at least one of the candidates.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Aesop Poprock posted:

That was actually the last in a series of skits involving Janet Reno, played by Will Ferrell. SNL likes to do that where after a while of lampooning someone they get the real person on to lampoon the impersonator.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

comingafteryouall posted:

Also, CNN had an article on how the American public is just plain getting sick of Trump's poo poo. Like, he's become boring for them.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

roymorrison posted:

Proest click ever

Hmm bye thread I found a bunch of episodes of my new favorite show to catch up on over the next week.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Agnosticnixie posted:

Liberal pragmatism is cold comfort for people who grew up then and spent their youths fighting for poo poo that ended up being a knock-on effect of the late 90s way of doing thing.

I mean, except for all the people who did grow up then and say the Clintons are just fine.

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
I don't get it. A couple days ago there was a poll showing McMullin ahead of Clinton ahead of Trump in the lead in Utah's polling but when you go to 538 he's not leading in any of them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fishmech posted:

The death penalty there is weird anyway. There's almost 750 people on death row, but only 13 people have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated in 1982. And 0 people have been executed since 2006.

More death row inmates have died from disease or old age in California since 1982 then from execution.

Unfortunately we also have a proposition this year to speed up the death penalty, and unlike the one to ban it this one looks like it will actually pass. It sucks.

Teddybear posted:

I actually did a paper on the shift in college, and I think a good amount of it was media representation. In relatively short succession, the Simpsons had an episode with John Waters as an openly gay protagonist in a story that wrangled with homophobia, Ellen came out on TV and in the media without her career completely collapsing (only, y'know, mostly), and Will and Grace started up with gay protagonists. These all had cultural impacts, and all served to dismantle a long-standing stereotype of gays as threats, predators, or punchlines. It didn't quite get there, but it provided a foothold.

I still love that graph where the popularity of "Ellen" as a name for Christian baby girls plummeted twice in the past two decades.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 19, 2016

Florida Ghost
Apr 5, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Apologies if I missed this being posted - Florida government getting slapped around on mail-in voting etc. HARD by the Judge.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/10/17/federal_judge_florida_s_obscene_war_on_voting_rights_is_unconstitutional.html

gently caress Rick Scott with a hammer.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

2spooky4me posted:

Again this doesn't jive with my experiences talking to people in the community about it. Most folks care more about what a politician thinks about LGBT people in the year 2016 than what they thought in 1992 -- especially considering that there's plenty of folks on the other side of the aisle who are more than willing to roll back advances.

The whole thing smacks of axe-grinding tbqh.

I don't really care either, except when someone tries to claim that they're a gay icon. Then I've got an axe to grind, because I don't really think they deserve that moniker. People should be honored for speaking against the grain, not conveniently supporting gay rights when the time finally comes where it is politically convenient for them to do so. We should forgive, but not forget.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lamb Chowder posted:

I don't get it. A couple days ago there was a poll showing McMullin ahead of Clinton ahead of Trump in the lead in Utah's polling but when you go to 538 he's not leading in any of them.

that was a no-name poll and 538 only aggregates well respected national-level pollsters. The most recent Utah poll showed a 3-way tie, though - but it takes more than 1 poll to move the 538 dial.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Boon posted:

I don't know man. African Americans are the most staunch Democratic demographic precisely because of poo poo like this. LBJ basically saw to that. It makes sense that an entire voting generation have become Democrats due to this election and we already know that D voter registration is way up.

Yes, but it's still to early to tell if this is a whole sale shift, or if the demographic goes back to just being 60/40 for Democrats. Donny is really bad and it's probably prudent to wait and see if a less openly and proudly racist against various ethnic groups does nearly as poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm sorry you got bent out of shape over a glib response to an internet troll.

Really slaying dragons for the cause.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

Yes, but it's still to early to tell if this is a whole sale shift, or if the demographic goes back to just being 60/40 for Democrats. Donny is really bad and it's probably prudent to wait and see if a less openly and proudly racist against various ethnic groups does nearly as poo poo.

Romney did not do too well with Hispanics either, the electorate was just whiter then.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

2spooky4me posted:

I'm sorry you got bent out of shape over a glib response to an internet troll.

Really slaying dragons for the cause.

It was only glib until you went on to stubbornly defend it and claim that the LGBT community has been fawning over the Clintons for the past 8 years. Then it's a little more than a passing remark.

Also not sure why you're bothered by people debating & discussing in Debate & Discussion?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Squeegy posted:

I don't really care either, except when someone tries to claim that they're a gay icon. Then I've got an axe to grind, because I don't really think they deserve that moniker. People should be honored for speaking against the grain, not conveniently supporting gay rights when the time finally comes where it is politically convenient for them to do so. We should forgive, but not forget.

okay but like,

her actions as secretary of state measurably and demonstrably made my life easier as a trans woman and as a lesbian. so i have no qualms calling her an lgbt ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Instant Sunrise posted:

okay but like,

her actions as secretary of state measurably and demonstrably made my life easier as a trans woman and as a lesbian. so i have no qualms calling her an lgbt ally.

I have no problem with that either and I don't recall saying I did. Ally is a little different from hero.

• Locked thread