Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I ask this question every time this comes up and I never get an answer, but why would Garland turn down a coveted appointment to his dream job at the very pinnacle of his life's work and career because he would apparently prefer Hillary to appoint someone "more liberal".

If Garland thought a "more liberal" philosophy was the correct one, he would be that more liberal judge! It's not like he insulted Athena's lawyering skills or something and she cursed him to always pen centrist opinions while pining for more liberal ones that his arm refuses to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Because he’s not selfish?

Garland knows as well as anyone that he’s on the older end of the scale. A younger justice with a somewhat‐less‐perfect judicial philosophy (in his view) might accomplish more.

He surely would have welcomed a confirmation in the past few months, but would he not feel guilty gaining his dream job via a spiteful midnight appointment by a lame‐duck Congress? That’s got to be bittersweet.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You could tell me I'm being appointed to my dream job because the previous incumbent and his entire family were murdered by a deranged serial killer, and I'm still going to take the job.

I don't think Garland is going to let perfect be the enemy of good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PredictIt traders currently see Garland as about 40% likely to be confirmed during Obama’s term, 60% confirmed next justice under any president.

I’m not saying that they’re always right (if they were I wouldn’t be making a killing on PI), and that probability also includes the scenario where Garland’s name isn’t withdrawn but the Senate still doesn’t vote on him, but I don’t think I’m alone in thinking withdrawal is a possibility.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dead Reckoning posted:

You could tell me I'm being appointed to my dream job because the previous incumbent and his entire family were murdered by a deranged serial killer, and I'm still going to take the job.

Okay, but what if the serial killer told the press that he murdered the incumbent and family specifically to open the job for you?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm pretty confident Garland and Obama are smarter than the people trying to play 3048374th chess ITT.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If Garland wanted a younger judge on the court why would he have accepted the nomination at all. Did he still have 8 months to go before the little red light on his hand started blinking or what.

"He might have accepted because he knew he was a compromise candidate," you say. Okay if the Republicans had confirmed him, do you think he would be planning to resign in January so Clinton could appoint the youngest judge ever? Seems unlikely.

E:

Platystemon posted:

Okay, but what if the serial killer told the press that he murdered the incumbent and family specifically to open the job for you?

If I were a federal court judge?

Even if I investigated and discovered proof that it was I who unknowingly murdered the previous Supreme Court Justice in my sleep I would still take the job, come on.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 18, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Platystemon posted:

Don't care, still taking it.

Rygar201 posted:

You don't need an amendment or a law to require votes on nominees, just a Senate rule. The chambers set their own rules on administrative matters guys.
Require is a weird word. There's not really anyone that can enforce Senate rules other than the Senate itself (outside of an amendment). The Senate can require itself to do things, but then if it doesn't want to do that, it can not do that at will.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Platystemon posted:

PredictIt traders currently see Garland as about 40% likely to be confirmed during Obama’s term, 60% confirmed next justice under any president.

I’m not saying that they’re always right (if they were I wouldn’t be making a killing on PI), and that probability also includes the scenario where Garland’s name isn’t withdrawn but the Senate still doesn’t vote on him, but I don’t think I’m alone in thinking withdrawal is a possibility.

he's not going to withdraw.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

twodot posted:

Don't care, still taking it.

Require is a weird word. There's not really anyone that can enforce Senate rules other than the Senate itself (outside of an amendment). The Senate can require itself to do things, but then if it doesn't want to do that, it can not do that at will.

If we were approaching a full on constitutional crisis where we barely had enough justices for a quorum would the president suing the Senate for not doing their job be an option?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Garland is not going to withdraw and Obama is not withdrawing him; also consider that if the Dems nakedly use a SCOTUS nomination as a political football, liberal judges are less likely to want to go through the wringer of a SCOTUS nomination in the first place. There's no reason to burn that bridge. Sure, you might say, "well the Republicans do it all the time and conservative judges have no compunctions about that sort of thing" and you'd be right, but you have to work with the judges you have and want on the bench, not any dream judge who is okay with getting thrown to the wolves and then withdrawn a year later for opportunist reasons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

reignonyourparade posted:

If we were approaching a full on constitutional crisis where we barely had enough justices for a quorum would the president suing the Senate for not doing their job be an option?

Recess appointments would probably fill the gap until elections.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gyges posted:

I'm still not sure why people are so insistent that Garland should be withdrawn and the immortal ghost of Communism be nominated.

Because the only thing the Republicans understand is fear, and they need to be punished or we will end up in a situation where they simply refuse to confirm Democratic nominees - a scenario they are already seriously considering adopting as policy, apparently.

That said, I don't think Garland withdrawing or Obama withdrawing Garland are at all likely. I think the outcome where the Republicans never confirm another Democratic appointee to anything is more likely than that. They can rely on the Democrats to be sane and moderate, and thus have full license to continue doing whatever horrible self serving things they want, and thus continue to win politically even if the Democrats are ahead of them in the electorate.

But the Democrats giving up sanity to put the fear of god into them is hardly going to have a better outcome here.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Is a failed toxx a ban or perma ban? I'm about this close to toxxing for Justice Garland, hah

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Because he’s not selfish?

Garland knows as well as anyone that he’s on the older end of the scale. A younger justice with a somewhat‐less‐perfect judicial philosophy (in his view) might accomplish more.

He surely would have welcomed a confirmation in the past few months, but would he not feel guilty gaining his dream job via a spiteful midnight appointment by a lame‐duck Congress? That’s got to be bittersweet.

This is ridiculous. It's not selfish from his perspective because 1) if he takes the seat he knows exactly who will be making decisions instead of trusting that a future president will nominate someone he agrees with, 2) he doesn't know that someone younger will be nominated or confirmed, 3) even if someone younger is confirmed they could die in an accident at any moment, 4) even if he serves a decade less than some theoretical younger nominee the president who nominates his replacement could easily be just as in line with his judicial philosophy as Clinton or Obama.

People suggesting he withdraw are basically asking him to trade guaranteed returns for some theoretical better that depends on a hundred unpredictable factors. It's absurd fantasy.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Is a failed toxx a ban or perma ban? I'm about this close to toxxing for Justice Garland, hah

Just a ban. Go for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'll toxx that Garland will be confirmed in the lame duck if Clinton is elected. I really think it happens before the end of November, honestly.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'll toxx that Garland will be confirmed in the lame duck if Clinton is elected. I really think it happens before the end of November, honestly.

Seconded. Judge Garland will be be conformed in the lame duck session :toxx:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

reignonyourparade posted:

My best understanding is that the composition of the Supreme Court doesn't have anything to do with whether the President can sue the Senate, because it wouldn't be a case under the Supreme Court's original jurisdiction.

Trillary Flinton
Aug 3, 2016
I'll :toxx: for Justice Garland in the lame duck as well, with the addendum that MPR played a great Q&A with Justice Sotomayor at the U of M law school today and I think she's got the best stage presence:allears:

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
A President suing Congress instead of just acting and having Congress sue the President is losing the battle before it even begins.

What I'm saying is that a President would likely take one of those crazy "silence is consent therefore my nominee is now a Justice" theories and let the Senate bring suit rather than going to court complaining about the mean ole Congress not doing its job (met with a insta-kick on political question).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
A presidential lawsuit claiming silence is consent would be downright hilarious.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trillary Flinton posted:

I'll :toxx: for Justice Garland in the lame duck as well, with the addendum that MPR played a great Q&A with Justice Sotomayor at the U of M law school today and I think she's got the best stage presence:allears:

I hope she really enjoyed the shithole basement of Mondale Hall.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I hope she really enjoyed the shithole basement of Mondale Hall.

She was a goddamn student bar bouncer in her college days, I can only assume it brought back fond memories.

The only reason that Sotomayor is not the best is that Notorious RBG exists.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
McCain walks back pledge to block Clinton supreme court nominees

quote:

“Senator McCain believes you can only judge people by their record, and Hillary Clinton has a clear record of supporting liberal judicial nominees,” spokeswoman Rachel Dean said. “That being said, Senator McCain will, of course, thoroughly examine the record of any Supreme Court nominee put before the Senate and vote for or against that individual based on their qualifications as he has done throughout his career.”
[...]
“There’s estimates as many as three vacancies could be coming over the next three years,” he said. “That can affect us for decades. So it’s my passionate argument for keeping the United States Senate in Republican hands, as a check and balance to whoever the president of the United States is.”

After a second stop Monday, with the leaders of the Arizona Farm Bureau, McCain said in an interview that a Republican Senate would temper the types of justices Clinton could get confirmed as president — not that it would prevent the confirmation of any Clinton nominee.

“Hillary Clinton has supported all the liberal nominees that have come before the Senate when she was in the Senate,” he said.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

He probably doesn't want his last words on the matter to be clear grounds for a dereliction of duty suit. They'll still stonewall.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rygar201 posted:

Seconded. Judge Garland will be be conformed in the lame duck session :toxx:

Yeah i will 30 day prob toxx garland getting in :toxx:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

She was a goddamn student bar bouncer in her college days, I can only assume it brought back fond memories.

The only reason that Sotomayor is not the best is that Notorious RBG exists.

I have a hunch that a good number of the "party line" majority opinions of the next court are going to be a bunch of concurrences seeing who can drop the sickest proseburn on the assholes in the minority. Like Breyer would write the opinion but then you'd have Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan (when her purgatory ends and all the cases she argued as solicitor get bled out of the docket) writing separate slam concurrence poetry all busting different dance moves on Scalia's grave just to try making Alito cry.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Confirming garland is a no-brainer and I don't know why anyone would expect Clinton to start nominating extremely leftist judges when some of the most common complaints against Clinton from the left is that she's got blue-dog tendencies/isn't a true leftist.

e: additionally Clinton can expect to be able to nominate 1-2 judges of her own choosing in addition to garland over the next four years.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

El Mero Mero posted:

Confirming garland is a no-brainer and I don't know why anyone would expect Clinton to start nominating extremely leftist judges when some of the most common complaints against Clinton from the left is that she's got blue-dog tendencies/isn't a true leftist.

e: additionally Clinton can expect to be able to nominate 1-2 judges of her own choosing in addition to garland over the next four years.

The semi-conventional wisdom of some on the left that she's going to choose blue dog and centrist judges is flying in the face of the actual record.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I fully expect Hillary to pick the judges that will piss the right off the most.

Whether this is because they are liberal as hell or because Hillary Clinton picked them is up for some debate, of course.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I fully expect Hillary to choose Supreme Court Justices on the basis of their qualifications first and foremost, and their politics second. That is how it should be.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

He probably doesn't want his last words on the matter to be clear grounds for a dereliction of duty suit. They'll still stonewall.

Now that Trump's defeat is clear, he's hijacking the "vote Trump to prevent Hillary from appointing liberal SC judges" line and using a slightly modified version of it to try to motivate GOP voters to show up to the polls anyway and support downballot Republicans by saying that even if Hillary wins, Republicans can still control SC appointments as long as they hold the Senate. He probably didn't intend to be making any promises on SC nominees, which is why he walked it back so quickly - he was just trying to repurpose and retarget existing rhetoric to drive voter enthusiasm among the hardcore conservatives, and somehow managed to gently caress it up really badly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Iron Rose posted:

I fully expect Hillary to choose Supreme Court Justices on the basis of their qualifications first and foremost, and their politics second. That is how it should be.

That tends to piss off the right.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

McCain walks back pledge to block Clinton supreme court nominees

quote:

“There’s estimates as many as three vacancies could be coming over the next three years,” he said. “That can affect us for decades. So it’s my passionate argument for keeping the United States Senate in Republican hands, as a check and balance to whoever the president of the United States is.

McCain getting out ahead of the pack and just calling it for Hillary. Or just saying the Senate in their hands will be all no all the time regardless of who becomes President.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Is that before or after the tea party with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?

She's going to select based on payouts from the finance industry foremost and by record of supporting government authority second.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Zoran posted:

A presidential lawsuit claiming silence is consent would be downright hilarious.

Boy oh boy you'd get to see some hot takes on rape from the usual corners if that happened.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mors Rattus posted:

I fully expect Hillary to pick the judges that will piss the right off the most.

So you're saying there's still a chance of Supreme Court Justice Barack Obama :getin:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Diane Reamed posted:

So you're saying there's still a chance of Supreme Court Justice Barack Obama :getin:

Maybe! Sri Srinivasan would be my choice. A Hindu on the supreme Court would drive the right crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Diane Reamed posted:

There is no way that would happen.

Michelle wouldn't let it.