Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is the best movie Ghibli ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Th-that's a lot of recs...

Anyone want to pitch Kaguya vs Mononoke?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They're very different films

watch both.

(mononoke is the more traditional adventure film of the two, if that changes anything)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is the best Isao Takahata movie. Porco Rosso is the best Hayao Miyazaki movie.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Princess Mononoke was the first Ghibli film i got to see in the theater, so that makes it the best. The English dub is pretty good ('cept Billy Bob Thornton) and the script was done by Neil Gaiman, if that's a selling point as well.

It's beautiful, it's got a strong ecological message and

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Actually, forget what i just said and watch Kiki's Delivery Service first.

Kiki's, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away are in a constant rotation for my favorite Ghibli film

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hmmm...I think it'll be Mononoke next for me, then Kiki's. Thanks, goons.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the real answer is, yeah, you gotta watch just about all of them

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Mononoke is my fav but Porco Rosso is hella good, even though it made me realise that the bad guy in every Ghibli movie has the same weird shaped head.

E:

Porco Rosso is great because at the end of the day almost everything that happens is due to totally loving stupid machismo and nothing is even slightly important. It's a nice change to the more sombre (or at least somewhat melanchony) tone of most Ghibli.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 19, 2016

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

a kitten posted:

Actually, forget what i just said and watch Kiki's Delivery Service first.

Kiki's, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away are in a constant rotation for my favorite Ghibli film

Agree'd with this. Kiki's has always been my favorite. Also, if you aren't a billy bob thorton fan then you should watch Fargo, the tv series, as he's absolutely brilliant in it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Agree'd with this. Kiki's has always been my favorite. Also, if you aren't a billy bob thorton fan then you should watch Fargo, the tv series, as he's absolutely brilliant in it.

Thornton's done a lot of great work, but that dub isn't one of them.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

a kitten posted:

Thornton's done a lot of great work, but that dub isn't one of them.

Haven't heard the dub in almost 10 years but I remember liking jigo, thought the VA did a good job at capturing his ambivalence for the situation.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the dub recs. Definitely going to check out Stein's Gate, and I'll probably check out P4 sometime. It'll be a good way to revisit the game, without suffering through the dungeons.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, thanks to whoever recommended Birdy the Mighty: Decode. I've just run out of episodes to watch. That was not only much better than expected, but also genuinely great.

S1 was ok. Likable cast, especially the sleazy journalist, and all of Shyalaman's drivel was worth it for how he goes out, but I didn't like Sayaka very much. Also, GODDAMN YOSHIE, I did not feel sorry for her. Overall, the dynamic of the main duo was great, and there were some tremendous fight scenes, so I wanted to watch S2 as well. There's two episodes which really stand out to me as the best - and both are somewhat isolated from the rest of the plot: the first on Birdie's home planet with the insane Anubis alien dude, and the one with the hugging puppet which is sudden excellent horror out of nowhere. Fun, but hm. Also, I expected a lot more skeeviness than there actually was! (Positive or negative? I'll never tell)

Then, there's S2.
:stare:
Still can't get the opening theme out of my head. Really, REALLY good look at the devastation of S1, great "villains", and possibly the greatest gag of the show with the fate of the bird alien girl from S1. :haw: Really worth it for the super-distorted fight scenes - now THAT'S what two super aliens duking it out should look like, holy poo poo! The style looked really familiar - could that be the same dude behind similar scenes in OnePunch Man and Mob Psycho 100?

Aaaaand now I've run out of show. Too bad - S2 had a great conclusion, but the story is obviously not finished (there's still Revi and Gomez AKA "Worst Anime Moustache" out there). I suppose there's the (...several?!) mangas out there, anyone read those?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's quite the coincidence, I've been watching Decode as well and I'm one episode (plus the special) away from finishing S2.

S2 is GREAT. Just top to bottom a great time, with an extremely compelling story with a strong emotional core for both old characters and new. I had started the first season back when it was first airing and got maybe halfway before I think fansubs dried up (for some reason it was really hard to get decent fansubs of Birdy for a long time), but at the time S1 just wasn't interesting enough for me to want to revisit it again.

And yeah S2's OP is pretty great, I thought it sounded familiar and sure enough it's by the same group that did the cool 4th OP of Eureka Seven.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You'll be happy to hear that the next episode is the best one of both seasons, then

Mind you, I have no idea how the story continues from that point, or how close it is to the manga to begin with, but right now I would murder for a S3... which hasn't happened for eight years and probably will never happen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

You'll be happy to hear that the next episode is the best one of both seasons, then

Mind you, I have no idea how the story continues from that point, or how close it is to the manga to begin with, but right now I would murder for a S3... which hasn't happened for eight years and probably will never happen

Hey now, Blue Exorcist is getting a second season outta nowhere so anything's possible :v:.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Thats just cuz they are still moving merch isnt it? The end of that first season was reeeeally bad.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
im actually not sure how that'd work unless they go the FMA route and reboot it, pretty sure the Blue Exorcist adaption went anime original for the ending

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Im pretty sure they did. It certainly felt like it was pulled outta someone's rear end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Torquemadras posted:

Man, this is just twisting the knife.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I still want Spice & Wolf S3, can we knife fight for it?

(I should really watch Birdy, it gets recommended a lot)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please watch birdy, the best character-driven action sci-fi anime of the late 2000s

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Colonel posted:

please watch birdy, the best character-driven action sci-fi anime of the late 2000s

I started watching it and it's real good.

For years every time I heard the name "Birdy the Mighty" I figured it was some Fist of the North Star knockoff about an ugly brawler, probably by association with this dude:

needless to say, it is not that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RabidWeasel posted:

I still want Spice & Wolf S3, can we knife fight for it?

(I should really watch Birdy, it gets recommended a lot)
At least with Spice & Wolf there are the LNs out in English and they're pretty great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I started watching it and it's real good.

For years every time I heard the name "Birdy the Mighty" I figured it was some Fist of the North Star knockoff about an ugly brawler, probably by association with this dude:

needless to say, it is not that

Honestly I think Birdy's design is actually a real disservice to the show at-large, because at a glance it tends to look like the show is going to be something fan-service driven when it's anything but.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Yeah Birdy is just hells of good. I heard there's been some movement on fan translations of the manga, but who knows if it will last.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I'm not really an anime man but I've been watching the JoJos and enjoying them. I'm kind of considering subbing to Crunchyroll because it sucks to always be a week behind, and I guess abstractly it would be good to support the show/site since I don't watch the ads... but I kind of don't want to sub just for something that gives me like a half hour of entertainment a week and is also ending in a few months maybe? I don't actually know how much is left of the series.

So, what shows should I watch to justify the subscription? I would like things with a generally upbeat tone (doesn't have to be looney tunes 24/7 but I'm not really in the mood for depressing poo poo atm.) With some sort of fantastical setting, be that fantasy, sci-fi or real world with a twist. Preferably with some level of action/adventure, I'm not so much interested in watching a show about the mundane life of Japanese schoolkids unless the schoolkids also have punch-ghosts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kuno posted:

I'm not really an anime man but I've been watching the JoJos and enjoying them. I'm kind of considering subbing to Crunchyroll because it sucks to always be a week behind, and I guess abstractly it would be good to support the show/site since I don't watch the ads... but I kind of don't want to sub just for something that gives me like a half hour of entertainment a week and is also ending in a few months maybe? I don't actually know how much is left of the series.

So, what shows should I watch to justify the subscription? I would like things with a generally upbeat tone (doesn't have to be looney tunes 24/7 but I'm not really in the mood for depressing poo poo atm.) With some sort of fantastical setting, be that fantasy, sci-fi or real world with a twist. Preferably with some level of action/adventure, I'm not so much interested in watching a show about the mundane life of Japanese schoolkids unless the schoolkids also have punch-ghosts.
E: Actually this reply of mine is kind of dumb since you could just watch these now given that they're finished, but gently caress it I'll keep it up. Running through the their catalog this is what I came up with with that criteria (omitting a lot of shows that I thought were great but were either super serious and/or didn't really have much out of the ordinary with the setup):

Amagi Brilliant Park
Angel Beats
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Bakemonogatari and other -gatari shows
Bodacious Space Pirates
Chaika
Durarara!!
Flying Witch
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Girls und Panzer
Gunbuster 2
Gurren Lagann
Re:Zero

Some of those might not be available in a given region, I didn't check. I think in particular you should give FMA, Durarara!!, Re:Zero, and Bodacious Space Pirates a look. And if you do want something that is a bit more "grounded" then go for Shirobako, Chihayafuru, Sound! Eunphonium, and the currently airing March comes in like a Lion because all of those are sooooooooo great and some of the best CR has to offer.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 25, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kuno posted:

HxH isn't Jojo's and is more overtly "anime" in some respects but it's a good followup if you enjoy the combination of good character writing and fights based on elaborate logic. There are four protagonists who range from 13-year-old kids to adults, the main two are the kids but it sets aside time for each of them. It's set in a sort of vaguely-defined fantastic setting that's kinda modern in some respects and less so in others.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is about a young man who enlists in the military in the hope that they'll help him and his brother recover from a horrifying supernatural accident they caused when they were kids, which cost him two of his limbs and his brother's entire body. It has a really optimistic and positive attitude about bleak subject matter, sort of a "look at this poo poo we just overcame by clinging to human decency" deal.

If you want to lean more into the comedy stuff maybe check out One-Punch Man or Mob Psycho 100.

Nate RFB posted:

Some of those might not be available in a given region, I didn't check. I think in particular you should give FMA, Durarara!!, Re:Zero, and Bodacious Space Pirates a look.

I can't speak to Bodacious Space Pirates but the rest of this shortlist is good.

*monogatari will probably scare you off anime forever, Gunbuster 2 should be watched alongside the original even though it's a new story with new characters (if you like Jojo's you can handle the 80s-ness, trust me) and while I don't personally like Gurren Lagann you might.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 26, 2016

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Kuno posted:

Some enjoyable shows on Crunchyroll that (at least mostly) fit your description are Mob Psycho 100, Kill La Kill, Durarara, Kyousougiga, Gurren Lagann, and Cowboy Bebop. None of these stay upbeat all the time, but they aren't trying to make the audience go smoke clove cigarettes and listen to Elliott Smith in a dark room or anything. Cowboy Bebop and Kyousougiga are especially worth watching in my opinion.

All of these are completed, and therefore free to watch, but watching in 1080p with no ads and supporting officially licensed shows that you would otherwise have to torrent is worth it!

If you want to try before you buy, head over to the Crunchyroll Guest Pass thread and grab one for yourself.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 26, 2016

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Ah, I should have mentioned, I've read quite a bit of the OPM manga, the one with the nice art and watched the Mob Psycho anime as well and they were real good.

That looks like a pretty good bunch of stuff that should make me feel less bad about adding another subscription service to my life. Thanks dudes. Since you both recommended it I guess I'll go with the Full Metal Alchemist one to start with.

Oh. Like a year ago I tried Attack on Titan but didn't get more than an episode or two in. I can't exactly remember what made me stop but I remember the main character being a little too intense and all the shouting turning me off but I don't know if that was a dumb criticism and I just happened to be in a bad mood or something when I tried the first two episodes. Would that be worth trying again? It is a show that I have actually heard of so I guess it must be pretty popular?

Thank you new anime friends. ~Ganbare~ or whatever. I don't really know what that means

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

attack on titan is OK but I wouldn't super recommend it since it basically just keeps getting worse as time goes on

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Attack on Titan's all right but it's pretty much all betrayal and rage and Mikasa's abs and Armin whining a lot. It's not exactly upbeat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kuno posted:

Thank you new anime friends. ~Ganbare~ or whatever. I don't really know what that means

good luck, do your best, etc.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you like Jojo you should give Kaiji a shot, it's a show about super over-the-top gambling.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

devtesla posted:

If you like Jojo you should give Kaiji a shot, it's a show about super over-the-top gambling.

He said he wants something with an upbeat tone, Kaiji is literally the bleakest poo poo imaginable

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there such a shounen or action show where women aren't either patronized at or sexualized? I've been binge watching One Piece lately and got through Dressrosa and it reminded me why I started to get a bit turned off the series - Oda just comes off as someone who thinks women are dainty delicate flowers should be locked away from the world lest a cloud block out the sun for a moment causing them to wilt and die instantly. Men are heroic and strong while women cry or are wacky. Only women who are aggressive are his standard "big lady" types so no one feels bad that the tits and rear end got beaten up badly by the bad guy.

It's a shame he's been moving in this direction for a while since he wasn't like this in the beginning. I still like the series but his conservative views on gender are starting to show in his art which is getting distracting.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Jimbot posted:

Is there such a shounen or action show where women aren't either patronized at or sexualized? I've been binge watching One Piece lately and got through Dressrosa and it reminded me why I started to get a bit turned off the series - Oda just comes off as someone who thinks women are dainty delicate flowers should be locked away from the world lest a cloud block out the sun for a moment causing them to wilt and die instantly. Men are heroic and strong while women cry or are wacky. Only women who are aggressive are his standard "big lady" types so no one feels bad that the tits and rear end got beaten up badly by the bad guy.

It's a shame he's been moving in this direction for a while since he wasn't like this in the beginning. I still like the series but his conservative views on gender are starting to show in his art which is getting distracting.

Weirdly the first thing I thought of was Keijo!!!!!!!

But I'm not entirely sure that's what you're looking for. It is a really fun show if you think you can handle the premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Monstrous Crow
Jan 29, 2009
Unfortunately, shounen is written for teenage boys and just about all of it reflects that in the worst ways. Shaman King and Zatch Bell are the two that come to mind as having female characters who are more or less on par with most of the men. Neither is completely free of stupid panty gags, but Shaman King has minimal fanservice as far as I remember, and while Zatch Bell basically limits the girls to defense or healers, they are allowed on the battlefield and they get to take a beating. (I don't recall the girls in Shaman King doing much direct fighting.) Hunter x Hunter also has women in pretty varied roles, although there are way more male characters.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Blue Exorcist, D.Grayman and Magi are all based on manga written by women, but I'm not familiar enough with them to say how they handle things.