Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Google is so loving confused... Hangouts works great, is integrated with Gmail, incorporates a non-confusing video chat interface, etc. Why give up on a good thing to chase several other things?

So now we'll have 4 different chat offerings from Google (Hangouts, Messenger, Allo, Duo) in addition to Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Skype, etc. etc. etc. good lord. How long until Trillian resurfaces to group all other chat products together again?

I get everyone wanting their own chat product, I don't get Google feeling like their products are too confusing to users so they have to break them into several new different things so they can cram worthless functionality like stickers and poo poo into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Haven't we reached a point with OS integration and smart notifications or whatever it's called that it doesn't matter? I don't even think about what type of messaging notification/platform I'm replying with. It can be an SMS, iMessage, Facebook Messenger, GroupMe, KakaoTalk, WeChat, etc. and I just look at who it is and reply as needed. Beyond the initial setup of remembering which apps to download and log into, I don't feel like it's that difficult to maintain a presence on different message platforms.

For us in this thread I absolutely agree. For people like my mom or non-technical friends, I think it still does matter.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My friends and I use Hangouts for most non-SMS chatting. Both for individual messages and various ongoing group chats. The main reason we gravitated to Hangouts is the Gmail/Inbox integration. Everyone has Gmail open at work already, so it was just the path of least resistance. With > 20 people in our main group chat, the path of least resistance is incredibly important. Trying to coordinate that many people to create new accounts and download/setup new apps is almost a non-starter.

I think Allo needs more than a web app to get us to switch. It needs to replace Hangouts as the Gmail integrated chat client. Looking at the Allo landing page, I see how it could be a bit better than Hangouts, but at the end of the day Hangouts still works well and has all the features we need. I don't understand why Google created a new app for these incremental improvements, rather than just updating Hangouts.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MMD3 posted:

Google is so loving confused... Hangouts works great, is integrated with Gmail, incorporates a non-confusing video chat interface, etc. Why give up on a good thing to chase several other things?

Everything I've heard suggests that it's down to Google favoring the development of new things over refining existing things among their employees.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Apparently Google steals all the best programmers and then feeds them performance destroying drugs to get an almost working product out the door with 0 internal documentation, then fires them and hires a new set of best programmers to fix the project they screwed up, but instead they scrap the old project and start a new one while Google feeds them performance destroying drugs so they ship a new almost working product out the door with 0 internal documentation, then Google fires them and....

For as much as Google is awesome at search, and Now is decent, and Android is decent, and Gmail is decent, the rest of their product portfolio rather sucks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

docbeard posted:

Everything I've heard suggests that it's down to Google favoring the development of new things over refining existing things among their employees.

I read an article somewhere about their messaging app strategy actually making sense when looking at their push into markets like India.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

For as much as Google is awesome at search, and Now is decent, and Android is decent, and Gmail is decent, the rest of their product portfolio rather sucks.
It's almost like they invest in products that make them the most money from advertisers.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I read an article somewhere about their messaging app strategy actually making sense when looking at their push into markets like India.

Someone just on the last page claimed that the entire world outside of the USA uses Whatsapp, so it makes sense that Google would focus on a Whatsapp alternative. I don't think Hangouts is going anywhere; it's just not going to be a priority anymore (as if it ever was).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well didn't they say it was going to transition to being business-focused?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nimper posted:

We already knew that Hangouts will (allegedly) be repurposed as a business collaboration tool.

We already had this discussion back when Allo was announced and then again when it was released. So naturally it's time to talk about it again, because Android thread

3 pages later it's still going Jesus Christ you goons

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just got an e-mail from Motorola for the unlocked Z Play @ $449.99 w/ a free extended battery. Any thoughts?

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 19, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Make a new app every three years to flood the market with their own products? :tinfoil:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one here uses WhatsApp. Not trying to humblebrag here or anything so please don't take it as that, but I have a lot of friends in many varied social groups, and no one uses WhatsApp.

I can confirm this. We exclusively communicate through GW2.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

docbeard posted:

I get this mentality. At work, sometimes we favor chucking a codebase in the trash rather than trying to upgrade it because it just took on so much that it wasn't initially designed to handle. At the same time, though, our user interface remains mostly unchanged, just with new features. We scrap the internals but keep the customer facing part the same.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

I get this mentality. At work, sometimes we favor chucking a codebase in the trash rather than trying to upgrade it because it just took on so much that it wasn't initially designed to handle. At the same time, though, our user interface remains mostly unchanged, just with new features. We scrap the internals but keep the customer facing part the same.

That's the correct way of doing it, and every big software product has to go through this cycle at a certain point. Google's way is just scrapping everything and coming up with a new product lacking all the important features. Over and over again.

Only this time you can make the text small

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
FYI for people looking to upgrade, Amazon Warehouse has been having like new $225-270 (32-128 GB) Nexus 6Ps trickling out. I think a bunch got released October 1, then a handful get released each day for the last week or two. Should see a more sustained sale around that price as Thanksgiving approaches, of course.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FogHelmut posted:

I use Hangouts because it uses SMS integration with Google Voice, but I often wonder why I still use Google Voice.

I use Google Voice because it lets me answer phone calls on my laptop if my cellphone is in another room. It also provides excellent voicemail with text recognition, so that half the time I don't even need to listen to the call.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ilkhan posted:

Apparently Google steals all the best programmers and then feeds them performance destroying drugs to get an almost working product out the door with 0 internal documentation, then fires them and hires a new set of best programmers to fix the project they screwed up, but instead they scrap the old project and start a new one while Google feeds them performance destroying drugs so they ship a new almost working product out the door with 0 internal documentation, then Google fires them and....

Google's employee turnover is quite high. It's about 1.1 years on average. So someone cranks out Allo, wipes their hands of it, and now we're stuck with a half finished product until another genius comes along and starts a new project. :smithicide:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I use Google Voice because it lets me answer phone calls on my laptop if my cellphone is in another room. It also provides excellent voicemail with text recognition, so that half the time I don't even need to listen to the call.

Sometimes I think I should go back to the old ways and have my actual number be on my sim and have my calls forward to Google voice for voicemail, rather than Google voice being my main number.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FogHelmut posted:

Sometimes I think I should go back to the old ways and have my actual number be on my sim and have my calls forward to Google voice for voicemail, rather than Google voice being my main number.

That's what I did. I never used Google Voice as my main number, because too many people knew the cell already and I didn't even know who all of them were (doctors, people who reminded me that the gutters needed cleaning, and like that.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whelp, Amex just warned me of a large purchase from Google. People who purchased from Verizon already had their phones ship out, but it looks like the Google Store ones may be close as well.

Fingers crossed that 26th-28th is overly pessimistic.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, Amex just warned me of a large purchase from Google. People who purchased from Verizon already had their phones ship out, but it looks like the Google Store ones may be close as well.

I see the $822 auth on my card, dated today, but it hasn't been posted yet. Order status is "processing" rather than pending now so the gears are indeed spinning.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

Did you order the regular or XL? If the former, have you been able to find any information regarding battery life? Most of the reviews I've watched are for the XL. Part of me is really curious about this phone. I like the size of the regular iPhone 7 so I'd get the regular Pixel but I know how long android phones tend to last with less than 3000mAh batteries, but I'm hoping maybe this one has a couple extra tricks up its sleeve.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'll be interested to see what happens once people who ordered from Verizon start getting their devices tomorrow. It's looking like the fears of bootlaoder locking were unfounded as PC World said they were able to unlock the bootloader of their Verizon model.

The probability is going up that there's absolutely nothing at all different or distinct about the version Verizon is selling. It's could very well be normal stock just sold through Verizon stores.

Verizon seems to be throwing their full support behind it too which is good for me. For example, the native Android visual voicemail appears to be working just fine from what some people were posting on Reddit. I'm expecting wifi calling to show up eventually too.

comper posted:

Did you order the regular or XL? If the former, have you been able to find any information regarding battery life? Most of the reviews I've watched are for the XL. Part of me is really curious about this phone. I like the size of the regular iPhone 7 so I'd get the regular Pixel but I know how long android phones tend to last with less than 3000mAh batteries, but I'm hoping maybe this one has a couple extra tricks up its sleeve.

Regular. Most of the reviews are saying that it's about 20% less SoT. It should be on par or better than my MXP and with today's fast charging, that's plenty good enough for me.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 19, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

comper posted:

Reviews seem to be all over the map (but in the top tier of contemporary flagships if that's not too broad a category) as far as battery life goes, unfortunately. It looks like the reviews that reported groundbreaking battery life were using it like regular people (I did this for X hours, that for a couple more hours, then I streamed music until bedtime and had XX% left) whereas the benchmark-style (lasted this many minutes doing this one task nonstop) put it comparable to (but a tick shy of) iphone so take it as you will.

E: I think I misread your question, you were probably asking how the Pixel compares to the XL in which case I am pretty sure the XL has better life in every comparison, but the above post already laid it out more precisely.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 19, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My XL got charged. Order status went from "pending" to "closed" to "processing". lol. 32GB black XL, Cali.

FogHelmut posted:

Just be aware when I did that the port back to t-mobile hosed up somewhere and it took a week and a couple trips to t-mo to get it cleared up (I could only receive calls from t-mo customers, VZW/sprint would get an error) and when I tried to port to VZW the same thing happened (but with verizon customers able to call me). Dunno if its related, but... yeah. :(

SB35 posted:

Google's employee turnover is quite high. It's about 1.1 years on average. So someone cranks out Allo, wipes their hands of it, and now we're stuck with a half finished product until another genius comes along and starts a new project. :smithicide:
Its the complete lack of documentation or whatever that fucks everything up. Especially if retention is *that* poor.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Watch it turn out that everyone gets a call from their bank at the asscrack of dawn to make sure about the transaction because Google started running cards in the evening and they probably pended the transactions until the morning when the AM shift gets in and can call.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If they leave documentation, it's easier to fire and replace them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I use Hangouts all the time both for work and personal use. I pretty much exclusively use it, through Google voice, for phone calls, chat, and video calls.

It's a perfect app for me. I don't see the appeal in whatsapp, allo, etc at all.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

So I'm looking to replace an aging HTC one M8. I was considering getting the Note 7 until the whole exploding thing happened, but today a family member purchased a Moto Z to replace a dead phone. Since we're on the same Verizon plan, I can now get one for half price. First impression is that I like the phone, and have two weeks to think this over before the deal ends. What is the general consensus on the Moto Z? Worth grabbing or should I wait for something else?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

If they leave documentation, it's easier to fire and replace them.

That's why the trick is to document nothing so you're invaluable :getin:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This is really dumb, but I'm really pleased with the flashlight color on my 5X. It's a much warmer white compared to my 5, and it feels more like an old school incandescent flashlight.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Taffer posted:

That's why the trick is to document nothing so you're invaluable :getin:

The BOFH rule to live by :hfive:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love how The Verge has two separate reviews of the Pixel where one says battery life is poor and the other says it's fantastic. I also have no idea why Walt Mossberg insists the phone only works on Verizon. Dude is old please get rid of him.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 19, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

I love how The Verge has two separate reviews of the Pixel where one says battery life is poor and the other says it's fantastic. I also have no idea why Walt Mossberg insists the phone only works on Verizon. Dude is old please get rid of him.

To be fair, he said it that it seemed to be an anomaly.

I find anecdotal battery "impressions" to be pretty useless in reviews. The only real way to compare consumption is a completely synthetic test suite. Otherwise, things like waking the phone up to check out that little home button animation every few minutes gets lost in "I didn't really use the phone much, why is the battery life so bad?"

Do an idle test with a fixed rate of notifications coming in from a number of sources. Do a web browsing test on wifi and cellular using a fixed script against a server with consistent performance. Do a local video rundown test at a specific NIT level.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

This is laughably wrong, starting with the employee turnover numbers and ending with "Google employees just like to create new stuff". Fact is, Google is getting its rear end handed to it in messaging by WhatsApp/Facebook Messenger/iMessage/Wechat/LINE/etc etc and decided Hangouts was too overloaded of a product to try to compete with all of the above and so created a bunch of one use case focused products (Allo, Duo) designed to appeal to non power users (simplicity). Whether or not they are right on that decision, the reason behind it is not "Google employees wanted to create something new".

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Which new messaging app will let me idle on IRC like I've been doing for 20 years? None? Pass.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Evil Robot posted:

This is laughably wrong, starting with the employee turnover numbers and ending with "Google employees just like to create new stuff". Fact is, Google is getting its rear end handed to it in messaging by WhatsApp/Facebook Messenger/iMessage/Wechat/LINE/etc etc and decided Hangouts was too overloaded of a product to try to compete with all of the above and so created a bunch of one use case focused products (Allo, Duo) designed to appeal to non power users (simplicity). Whether or not they are right on that decision, the reason behind it is not "Google employees wanted to create something new".

It's certainly true that their culture rewards starting anew over maintaining the old.

Also from what I've heard from people who work there that there's a bit of a bubble, where people inside seem to believe in a weirdly wrong set of facts while the rest of the world is working from another, true, set of facts. (One example that comes to mind was a belief in the company line that the Motorola acquistion and sale was a carefully planned out, three-dimensional chess move that was a success all the way around, when the truth is that it was a kneejerk reaction that resulted in nothing but losses and a bucket full of FRAND-encumbered, worthless patents.)

When it comes to (poorly executed) messaging platforms though you aren't exactly wrong about their asses being kicked. I'd still say it's more of a cultural problem because at Google it's either an instant overnight success or a complete failure which is a weirdly autistic way to view things until you realize that Google has corporate autism.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Got an email saying that my order is on hold because my card was not accepted. Had to use my wife's credit card because google wouldn't accept mine. Gotta call my bank what was up with that.
Bank fuckery or Google fuckery? Can't wait to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

the LG V20, thoughts? I'm hoping it has an unlocked bootloader and root is easy to get.

Getting a nexus phone/pixel is out - I'm poor and use the ATT Next program currently - there aren't many good options.

So I'm hoping the V20 is good?