Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
This isn't a request to stop posting it by any means, but I don't think I "get" Jaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1940, click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Ninger

Huh, interesting. One of the main characters in Finnegans Wake is Shem the Penman -- I never realized Joyce borrowed the name from an actual person.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I like this one. It's from a storyline where Charlie Brown is cracking up over his obsession with the baseball team's continual failure. People claim Snoopy took over the strip at one point, but actually reading it from start to finish (thanks, Fantagraphics!), it really isn't so. His strips are the simplest ones, usually quick, repeating gags, but I still enjoy their daffiness. And the other characters maintain Schulz's theme of semi-adult neuroses in child-size characters. Peppermint Patty deals with single-parent households and feminine body issues (a topic that would be noteworthy today, let alone in the 1970s). Sally is about school anxiety and not really knowing what's going on when you're young. Rerun's about that last part, too, often in a very good way. Linus, Lucy, Charlie Brown, and Schroeder are pretty much the same as they were in the "classic" period, and with the addition of Marcy as Peppermint Patty's foil, we get the crush triangle between her, Peppermint Patty, and Charlie Brown. Schulz also cuts a lot of dross around this time; Violet, Original Patty, Shermy, and even Frieda had outlived their usefulness (this Head Beagle story is pretty much the last major thing she'd be a part of), to say nothing of 3, 4, and 5. ("Who?" Exactly.) Franklin rounds out the cross-town cast, and around now we also get one of my favorite Schulz creations: Spike. There's something about Spike that's just so bizarrely existentialist that I can't help but love him. I would read a strip just about Spike.

Congratulations! You're the first person I have ever known who liked Spike. You win a cookie through the internet.

I still don't like Spike. As a kid, I was already used to Peanuts being disappointing in its cliched way (He missed the football again! That tree ate another kite! Time for the Great Pumpkin!) but I had to count it worse when it turned into retarded mustache Snoopy talking to cactuses all the time. Spike made Peanuts awful in an entirely new, worse way.

I'm still grateful for the early strips being posted. I'd never read Peanuts and enjoyed it before.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

There's nothing at the smallbleakscenes.com website! :qq:

And that's the bleakest thing of all

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

There's nothing at the smallbleakscenes.com website! :qq:

Truly, the bleakest scene of them all...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I spent the day at the North Carolina State Fair, and as I walked around, a particular sign caught my eye.

So I went in and told Guy Gilchrist he was a hack that was making Ernie Bushmiller spin in his grave, and everybody stood up and clapped. I actually didn't see him at all, I wasn't there at those times.

No idea if this was a one day thing or not.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Out Our Way (December 16-17, 1929)

Peanuts: The Ones That don Jaime Likes (July 18-20, 1955)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 19, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set are a hard sell.

Working Daze doesn't respect the chain of command.

Super-Fun-Pal-Comix doubles your entendre...if you know what I mean. :pervert:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Addled Dames Adam Ames

That Rookie from the 13th Squad

Ella Cinders

And that's the end of this storyline. Next I'll jump back to the beginning of Ella Cinders, where fewer things fall into her lap.

Myra North, Special Nurse

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Transmodiar posted:

I am legitimately curious to know how Woody Wilson would have wrapped up these plot line, if for no other reason than to see exactly the opposite of what is happening now. Any idea why they took Wilson off the strip mid-story?
Because there were like 8 simultaneous stories going on at various stages of development. I don't think there would ever be a good time to change writers.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Ugh. Cancel the engagement right now.
All those things also rhyme with just "Toni."

sweeperbravo posted:

This isn't a request to stop posting it by any means, but I don't think I "get" Jaf.
I don't either. Maybe it's a Zippy the Pinhead type thing. I enjoy that though. I keep expecting to enjoy Jaf but I don't think I ever do.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wait, so Everett went to a fancy restaurant that served french food and got mad at the waiter listing the french names of the french dishes? Is there even an English word for pate?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

RandomPauI posted:

Wait, so Everett went to a fancy restaurant that served french food and got mad at the waiter listing the french names of the french dishes? Is there even an English word for pate?

Also, Everett is okay with referring to food as "grub" but calling a Frankfurter Sausage a "hot dog" is right out?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't either. Maybe it's a Zippy the Pinhead type thing. I enjoy that though. I keep expecting to enjoy Jaf but I don't think I ever do.

I think Jaf is delightfully surreal. I enjoy looking for the ways in which the artist has taken our expectations and turned them on their head by playing with gestalts or perspective. It's not a comic, per se, but a little sketch.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

...This was a man who got an offer to coach for a college team? And he got set off by roughing the passer of all things? That's big in the NFL mainly because quarterbacks are expensive and hard to replace. Practically the whole point of football in a high school context is that it's a controlled environment for teenage boys to smack each other around. If you don't want the poo poo kicked out of you then be the kicker, although rest assured everyone in the locker room will talk poo poo about you to compensate.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Peppermint Patty deals with single-parent households and feminine body issues (a topic that would be noteworthy today, let alone in the 1970s).

Oh for the love of...Peppermint Patty is a tomboy who's not very smart. Those are the distinctive character traits which give rise to jokes not possible with the other characters, and that's how she became an important character. Identity politics critical theory is stupid in general, and I can't imagine why you decided to take that particular tact with that particular character when everything else in your post focused on actual content, rather than background trivia no one has ever heard of.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

...And now the actual reason I come to this thread. Which come to think of it is also a form of sperging about my work experience, just more well-disguised. This is one I've already translated before. The file was on the computer I'm currently using, so I wanted to update it to current standard.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (September 26, 1951)

Nancy (November 10, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (July 10, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (August 8, 1923)

Lil' Abner (April 7, 1937)

Barney Google (August 9, 1922)

Alley Oop (November 8, 1933)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pal-Comix doubles your entendre...if you know what I mean. :pervert:

treasureplane posted:

Heh ... boner.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Some Guy TT posted:

I'll always love the way he draws white people as slightly unsettling.

Like the time the boss hired a white guy to wander around the place, scaring the staff with how not-Korean he was.

EDIT - the Chief in the second last panel looks like he's going to punch the Italian guy in the butthole.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

Yay, he won a fight! And probably got a severe brain damage.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

F-Minus

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Henry

Kliban

Marmaduke

Office Hours

Reply All

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (August, 1915)
I love how the waiter just looks confused.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

In which the Phantom is a smarmy dick to his wife

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Poor tree! Also R.I.P. Mark Trail, crushed between hog and the said tree.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Ugh. Cancel the engagement right now.

quote:

AnyFace said, 1 day ago
Not particularly vegan-friendly.

quote:

ORMouseworks said, 1 day ago
Well, I am guessing Luann and family and friends have never been through a Coast storm…OK here (leaves and tree branches everywhere!), but Manzanita is a mess. They had a nasty tornado that tore up part of the town. Luann and family and friends live in a rather boring town weather-wise, don’t they?! Well, at least everything is still in One Piece in Pitts! :)

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
This is Silly.But Since it being put on by Brave Firefighters who Risk Their Lives for Strangers, I’ll let it slide.
……And I’ll have a Baloney Sandwich with Cheese and a bowl of chips, Please…..,

quote:

JPuzzleWhiz said, about 23 hours ago
@ć˛
I’ve got that Larry Williams song in my head: “I got a girl named Bony Moronie / She’s as skinny as a stick of macaroni”

You beat me to that one, but I’m wondering if they’ll also play “Mony Mony” by Tommy James and The Shondells?

quote:

Luanaphile GoComics PRO Member said, about 21 hours ago
Saints Commemorated on December 11
St. Acepsius, St. Barsabas, St. Cian, St. Damasus, Pope Saint Damasus I, St. Daniel the Stylite, St. Eutychius, St.Fidweten, Bl. Martin of Saint Nicholas, Bl. Melchior of Saint Augustine, St. Pens, St. Sabinus, St. Sabinus, St. Trason, St.Victoricus, Fuscian, and Gentian

No titles for a couple of days....

fort knox

Flying McCoys

Shoe

Dustin

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

That sure is some fresh material there. Or is this the middle of a story-arc where Dustin's dad and that kid switched bodies?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is there a strip with a higher body-count than And He Did?

Tiggum posted:

Frog Applause

I'm going to need Mr Beeg to explain what appears to be some very inside gossip inexplicably used as the subject for a comic strip presumably intended for wider consumption.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 13-14, 1929)

In case anyone wants some context for this (dunno about you, but I always learn some cool poo poo from this thread, of all places)... on a military base, when they raise the flag at Reveille (0630) or lower it for The Colors (1700), if you're outside, you're expected to stop whatever you're doing, face the direction of the flag, and just stand there. I'm a civilian contractor for KP, and this confused the hell out of me when I first started night shifts --- literally, all traffic on base stops at 1700, and people get out of their cars to salute a flag they can't even see. So yeah, this poor KP dude got caught taking the garbage out in the cold when they started playing The Colors, and that's why he's freezing his rear end off. Been there, done that. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mastersord posted:

My guess is that she had Daddy wrapped around her finger the whole time and set this up as some kind of test.
Maybe we'll find out in a few months after some more piano sex and repetitive confrontations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Addled Dames Adam Ames

I had to read this a few times to decipher that they weren't saying the injured man was owned by Grace Semble.

treasureplane posted:

Tee hee

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 19, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm going to need Mr Beeg to explain what appears to be some very inside gossip inexplicably used as the subject for a comic strip presumably intended for wider consumption.

My first thought was Scott Adams, because he has been caught sockpuppeting before and of course he has a lovely attitude toward women. But I haven't heard anything about him trying that stuff again recently.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange, Still Catching Up

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

My God. Does anyone under 35 even get this joke?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

um ... I laughed. But then I am most certainly not under 35.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

I don't think it matters, because nobody under 35 reads Shoe.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Aleph Null posted:

Uh, yes. Although when I was growing up Tang was less of an "astronaut food" and more of a "powdered orange drink with chimpanzees advertising it for... some reason."

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Aleph Null posted:

I'm 29 and I got it.

It's not funny to me, though. :shrug:

Also since I'm already posting about Shoe, that cold turkey joke they made a bit ago I know I'd seen before. This joke may also be a slightly redrawn comic from a decade or more ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Not even a new page yet..? Ah gently caress it I've been out lately and I can't get any sleep.

• Locked thread