Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The big issue with 5e isn't that it is a big step backwards or that it has no actual mechanical underpinnings, it's that it was created by belligerent sociopaths and serial harassers. Do not support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ProfessorCirno posted:

The big issue with 5e isn't that it is a big step backwards or that it has no actual mechanical underpinnings, it's that it was created by belligerent sociopaths and serial harassers. Do not support them.

make sure to never watch a Roman Polanski movie too

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Kibner posted:

This link still works for me: http://ddi.wizards.com

I don't know if they take new subscriptions, but my existing one is still going strong.

You can still get new subs. I did just a month or so ago using this link: http://gc.digitalriver.com/store/dndi/html/pbPage.wizards

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

This is unironically a good moral position as well, yes. Are you advocating we should just ignore the shitheels responsible for 5e?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arivia posted:

This is unironically a good moral position as well, yes. Are you advocating we should just ignore the shitheels responsible for 5e?

yes
hate the writer , not the game

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

but what about all the shitheels responsible for everything else in the world?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

yes
hate the writer , not the game

I'm glad that you feel you can do this, mister white cishet guy who's never encountered a problem in his life

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
instead of spending money on d&d 5th edition please consider d&d next

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

mormonpartyboat posted:

instead of spending money on d&d 5th edition please consider d&d next

Perhaps D&D previous instead.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How is WotC so loving bad at the internet and online offerings?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

FAT BATMAN posted:

One of my friends wants to play a necromancy-type character, someone who summons skeletons and such (he's leaning towards death cleric) but he doesn't want to be evil or stereotypically edgelord (unless it would be funny).

Do you guys have any suggestions for what kind of person a good or neutral skeleton summoner might be? All I've got is John Constantine and "priest who helps ghosts with lingering grievances pass on to the afterlife."

this was with 13th age, but i played a necromancer that was a circus leader and the skeletons were performers :3:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arivia posted:

I'm glad that you feel you can do this, mister white cishet guy who's never encountered a problem in his life

I identify as a wizard who shapeshifts into a dragon when he wants to have sex with an exotic hypercar

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Ummm yes? This is unironically a good piece of advice.

Like, is anyone really going to contend that we shouldn't play MYFAROG because it was written by a convicted arsonist?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ummm yes? This is unironically a good piece of advice.

Like, is anyone really going to contend that we shouldn't play MYFAROG because it was written by a convicted arsonist?

I like how Varg's internet infamy has gone on for so long people have forgot the murders.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Arivia posted:

I like how Varg's internet infamy has gone on for so long people have forgot the murders.

Varg is such a well-rounded rear end in a top hat that it's entirely reasonable to forget about stuff like that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Skeletons not under necromancer control start trying to kill any living things nearby, which can tend to make people a bit nervous even with the best of intentions.

My own necromancer believes that in the tri-fold mind-body-soul model of existence that DnD-worlds (in his mind) follow, skeletons are missing key parts of the body, still have bits of the mind (hence why they can open doors and use martial weapons) but are wholly missing the ego-support-structure known as the soul, and have to substitute negative energy themselves. Their violence towards living beings is more of an instinctive attempt to extract their soul and stuff it into themselves. This generally doesn't work, but does explain why skeletons will occasionally wear the belongings of beings they've killed - they've either grabbed a bit of their soul, or think they have.

The character himself is a skeleton that managed to hang onto just enough of the soul to not need the negative energy (and is, rulewise, a human).

Ghosts in this model are, naturally, parts of a mind and soul but missing a body. A mind without a soul is just a bundle of knowledge that may retain some basic instincts.

edit:
this grand unified model also explains why Animate Objects is a higher level spell than Animate Dead when you'd think it would be the other way around from an in-world point of view. When you animate dead, you're taking an existing mind and shoving it into an existing body, and since you don't have a soul on hand you're just shoving negative energy in there. When you animate objects, you're shoving a human-ish mind that you've created whole cloth into a non-human body and who knows where the soul bit is, if anywhere - they presumably have none and fall apart quickly when the spell ends.
It's the difference between pouring water into a cup with a bit of a leak in it, and taking water from a well with your bare hands.

You keep your personality when you get Polymorphed because your body and mind get swapped out (so that you know how to use your T-Rex body) but you keep the soul.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 19, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

lol dude, even setting the ethical issue here aside, comparing 5e to any Polanski movie is hilariously lofty

Is there a better comparison I wonder? Like a crappy webcomic drawn by a date rapist or something?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I only feel comfortable consuming media from reprehensible assholes if I know I'm not monetarily supporting their awfulness. Buying a Next book second hand for example is something I wouldn't be ethically conflicted about. I mean I'd be conflicted in other ways because it's a poo poo game and I'm almost certainly paying too much for something that's just 3.pf but with less options, but not ethically so.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Guy A. Person posted:

lol dude, even setting the ethical issue here aside, comparing 5e to any Polanski movie is hilariously lofty

Is there a better comparison I wonder? Like a crappy webcomic drawn by a date rapist or something?

touché

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Guy A. Person posted:

Didn't Tim Buckley show his donger to a 16 year old girl? CAD and 5e is probably a good fit.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

Razorwired posted:

Didn't Tim Buckley show his donger to a 16 year old girl? CAD and 5e is probably a good fit.

D&B^U

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FAT BATMAN posted:

One of my friends wants to play a necromancy-type character, someone who summons skeletons and such (he's leaning towards death cleric) but he doesn't want to be evil or stereotypically edgelord (unless it would be funny).

Do you guys have any suggestions for what kind of person a good or neutral skeleton summoner might be? All I've got is John Constantine and "priest who helps ghosts with lingering grievances pass on to the afterlife."
If hes not glued to "death cleric" let him be a woodland cleric that makes "stick men" that just happen to have skeleton stats. (Or whatever type of cleric, and whatever type of parts.)

If it has to be bones then maybe hes into "waste not want not" and his parents were taxidermists.

e: super beaten. Dont any of you have jobs?! :mad:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Mordiceius posted:

They historically have had (and been able to have) the attitude that "working here is a privilege for people who really love gaming and love our stuff" because, seriously, every kid who grew up playing D&D and/or Magic would love to work at WotC making D&D and Magic stuff. So they don't pay very well, have tolerated an above average turnover, and also are located in Seattle where their competition for IT talent is Microsoft and Amazon.com.

More recently, they were purchased by Hasbro, which cut their staff down to the minimum possible crew to make 3 D&D books a year, to keep that trademark alive, and whatever is needed to operate the Magic cash-printing machine.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
My PCs are hexcrawling through an enchanted forest that's been haunted/ruled over by a coven of hags. So far they've fought lots of spiders, wild animals, and animated plants. They seem to be getting bored of this, so what other sorts of things could they encounter in the woods?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

DrSunshine posted:

My PCs are hexcrawling through an enchanted forest that's been haunted/ruled over by a coven of hags. So far they've fought lots of spiders, wild animals, and animated plants. They seem to be getting bored of this, so what other sorts of things could they encounter in the woods?

A crowd of animal rights activists upset that they've murdered all that wildlife.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

slap me and kiss me posted:

A crowd of animal rights activists upset that they've murdered all that wildlife.

A pseudodragon lawyer serves them papers, they're due to appear in Forest Court for multiple counts of murder; the PCs now have to defend themselves against a bunch of illogical creatures who are out for blood and amusement.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

St0rmD posted:

located in Seattle where their competition for IT talent is Microsoft and Amazon.com.
This doenst mean as much as it sounds like. Seattle is awash with tech people if you are willing to tolerate pay them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

A giant spider that is actually made out of bears, with each bear fighting independently as each limb of the "spider" is severed.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Barudak posted:

A giant spider that is actually made out of bears, with each bear fighting independently as each limb of the "spider" is severed.

Would you rather fight a spider made of bears or a bear made of spiders?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BambooEarpick posted:

Yeah, I guess all the extra calculations would bog things down. It'd be like playing Final Fantasy Tactics but you have to figure everything out by hand. "Oh, ok, my zodiac sign is Pisces which gains +5% chance to hit against Virgo but reduces damage by 3% against Gemini, hmmm...."

There's also the issue that combat in 4E is *supposed* to take a while so everyone has the chance to bust out a couple of cool moves. 4E combats work best as big action movie sequences, as opposed to "you bump into five kobolds as you round the corner, roll for initiative" trash fights.

4E (IMO) works better with fewer, but bigger, fights per adventure, while 5E goes the opposite direction and calls for more, but shorter, fights.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Selachian posted:

There's also the issue that combat in 4E is *supposed* to take a while so everyone has the chance to bust out a couple of cool moves. 4E combats work best as big action movie sequences, as opposed to "you bump into five kobolds as you round the corner, roll for initiative" trash fights.

4E (IMO) works better with fewer, but bigger, fights per adventure, while 5E goes the opposite direction and calls for more, but shorter, fights.

I know that this is the accepted wisdom, but my group found that our 5e combats were nearly as long as the ones we had in the previous edition.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

St0rmD posted:

They historically have had (and been able to have) the attitude that "working here is a privilege for people who really love gaming and love our stuff" because, seriously, every kid who grew up playing D&D and/or Magic would love to work at WotC making D&D and Magic stuff. So they don't pay very well, have tolerated an above average turnover, and also are located in Seattle where their competition for IT talent is Microsoft and Amazon.com.

More recently, they were purchased by Hasbro, which cut their staff down to the minimum possible crew to make 3 D&D books a year, to keep that trademark alive, and whatever is needed to operate the Magic cash-printing machine.

More recently? Weren't they purchased by Hasbro before they put out 3.0?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If someone complains about you raising skeletons, point out their leather armor. They're wearing a dead cow's skin, how is that different?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

slap me and kiss me posted:

I know that this is the accepted wisdom, but my group found that our 5e combats were nearly as long as the ones we had in the previous edition.

I know its cut down a ton of time on my end because as GM my monsters can't really do very much, unless they're a spell caster. Combine that with classes like fighter and rogue being basically "Do the same thing every turn because doing the optimal thing is painfully obvious and unchanging" and I've cut out like half of what used to make combat take so long. The other factor is the game seems to think that somehow if 4 Goblins were an appropriate challenge at Level 1 (they weren't) then 8 goblins will be an appropriate challenge at level 3 (they aren't, but the opposite way).

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

They have zany forest misadventures/regular adventures with a big ol' colony of friendly sapient wolves that can talk and are kinda okay with the hag rule, but not so okay with it that they're opposed with the PCs who are likely going to topple the hags.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

food court bailiff posted:

Didn't Kobold Press do the Wrath of Tiamat books? Those ranged from pretty cool to godawful from chapter to chapter. The first book ended with your party crashing a giant floating castle into a mountain range and the next one assumes you somehow ended up in some major FR city like Neverwinter or something like that, with the sidebar "if your characters aren't in $city for whatever reason (like, there not being any reason at all for them to end up there based on the published adventure), I don't know, a magic raven with a note teleports them there."

We're about to finish this adventure up. I'm wondering how we will survive the finale.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
WotC has always been terrible at tech, ESPECIALLY if it's web-based. It was that way long before 5e came out.

FRINGE posted:

This doenst mean as much as it sounds like. Seattle is awash with tech people if you are willing to tolerate pay them.

As I understand, WotC pays a good amount below industry standard, especially for the area, and has little to no opportunities for vertical movement in-company.

WotC - not just the D&D department, but the whole company - ends up with the dregs, because that's all they're willing to pay for.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BambooEarpick posted:

Having not played 4e I've heard numerous people complain about really long combat. Why is that? Is every PC and mob just a HP sponge? If that's the problem then can you just half everyone's HP and call it a day or are there too many mechanics that something like that would interfere with?

BambooEarpick posted:

Does anyone have some resources for 4e I could look at? I'd like to one day run my own homebrew campaign but give certain classes more fun stuff. I know 4e has attacks that move enemies and that sounds neat. I think maybe having a threat mechanic would be neat, too. Like, what's to stop ranged guys from just peppering the PC's backline? A caster usually doesn't have very good AC so a few shots past the Fighter and suddenly damage output drops dramatically. Maybe have the Fighter taunt a mob so it can only attack him or can attack other things but with penalty or something.

Or, really, just any tabletop style resources where combat is a bit more interesting than it is in 5e. Watching two melee based guys taking turns hitting each other is really boring and I'd like to be able to spice that up.

I wrote responses to both of these, but I would like to redirect you to the 4e thread, so that we don't derail this thread any further: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605446&pagenumber=160#post465507388

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

After an unfortunate murder-suicide incident, they kind of backed out of doing anything more than the barest web presence.