Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

2spooky4me posted:

>spends 100 hours doing monotonous grinding

"Guys this game is boring. :frontear:"

Nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was looking at a trading Anaconda build with 432 cargo space and checking on EDDB, right now the best loops with L pads are something around 3,2k/ton per roundtrip, which means 1.3 million per roundtrip

Assuming 10 minutes per roundtrip, it would take 100 to repay the investment, which is 1000 minutes ... 16 hours worth of jumping/docking/looking at menus :stare:

Roundtrips for any kind of pad top out at 4.3k/ton, which in a Python with 260 cargo space amounts to around 1.1 million so not a huge difference, and the Python is quite a bit cheaper to outfit for trade (I already own one outfitted for mining, as soon as storage space is in and I don't have to go around looking for 5A limpet controllers I'll be able to switch it over easily).

All in all I think you can expect to make about 6-7 million/hour by trading, compared to about 3-4 million/hour by mining, 2-2,5 million/hour by bounty hunting in a RES, and peanuts/hour by exploring.

Sothis blows this out of the water with 40-60 millions/run (in my experience taks about 2 hours), but even if it's not going to be nerfed it's fun to do 1-2 times then it's kind of a pain in the rear end, because it's a time commitment - you can't jump in, play 30 minutes and get out to resume the next evening or you'll probably fail the missions, you have to stay on top of it for the full 2 hours.

The real question here is, since I am pretty sure it's not worth it to get an Anaconda for normal trading when I already have a Python, what do I do with the 130 millions burning a hole in my pocket? I already have an explo-Asp (that I use for missions in the bubble), a trade/mining-Python, a combat-Vulture and a Clipper which isn't seeing much use but will probably make a nice passenger carrier.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

StarkRavingMad posted:

Nice meltdown

get a load of this tired and worn out meme 😂

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

The real question here is, since I am pretty sure it's not worth it to get an Anaconda for normal trading when I already have a Python, what do I do with the 130 millions burning a hole in my pocket? I already have an explo-Asp (that I use for missions in the bubble), a trade/mining-Python, a combat-Vulture and a Clipper which isn't seeing much use but will probably make a nice passenger carrier.

You just play the game until you decide you want another ship to add to your collection. Go explore. Go to Jacques, explore the nebula along the way, jump out into areas where people have seldom traveled, back a minor or major faction or dabble in power play.

Your question is kind of why I stopped playing all the time and, while I keep the game patched/ready to go, I have no urge to play it before 2.2 drops or Frontier injects something worth doing into it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

He looked at me! He looked right at me! I AM AWAITED IN VALHALLA

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HE WAS SCANNING THE EVENT HORIZON

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

2spooky4me posted:

get a load of this tired and worn out meme 😂
Nice made you look!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gort posted:

Now you just have to do the really tiresome bit…

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gort posted:

Congrats! Your long nightmare is finally over.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Gort posted:

I'm on my way back to the bubble as well

We will ride eternal shiny and chrome!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Now if only I didn't have a compulsion to get my name on every unexplored object I encounter on the way back as well.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Alzion posted:

I'm on my way back to the bubble as well

We will ride eternal shiny and chrome!

Did galmap get updated? What is with the crosshairs?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

You just play the game until you decide you want another ship to add to your collection. Go explore. Go to Jacques, explore the nebula along the way, jump out into areas where people have seldom traveled, back a minor or major faction or dabble in power play.

Your question is kind of why I stopped playing all the time and, while I keep the game patched/ready to go, I have no urge to play it before 2.2 drops or Frontier injects something worth doing into it.

Ok then since shooting mans is my favourite thing I guess getting an fdl and engineering it a bunch is the next logical step. Sucks though that we still have so few actual missions and stuff to do.. I don't need an eve or x style detailed simulation but something more than "go to res, shoot wanted" would be welcome.

Really hopeful for thargoids.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Now if only I didn't have a compulsion to get my name on every unexplored object I encounter on the way back as well.

Yeah, don't do that. I started out that way too, until it quickly became apparent that I was wasting ten minutes slowboating through a system to stick my name on a worthless shitball for like 70 credits. I still go further out of my way than the real money-minded explorers probably do for planets that are a gamble, but obvious iceballs I just pass up completely.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

LCL-Dead posted:

Did galmap get updated? What is with the crosshairs?

Its a 3rd party tool Elite Dangerous Star Maps : https://www.edsm.net/user/travel-map/id/12040/cmdr/Alzion

You can use VoiceAttack witth the EDDI plugin to auto upload the locations you go to EDSM servers.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/226649-EDDI-A(nother)-Voice-Attack-Plugin

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
My bank account certainly didn't mind Sothis/Ceos but it'll be nice to have a few weeks just doing whatever until someone discovers the next goldmine and all other activities become meaningless. I'll probably bank enough on top of my nest egg for a Corvette in case it takes a bit longer for people to min/max The New Thing and I feel like grinding fed rep. At the very least I'll finally be able to get rid of all the interdiction bait in my hold.

Also,

2spooky4me posted:

What about playing the game? :monocle:

2spooky4me posted:

>spends 100 hours doing monotonous grinding

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Valatar posted:

Yeah, don't do that. I started out that way too, until it quickly became apparent that I was wasting ten minutes slowboating through a system to stick my name on a worthless shitball for like 70 credits. I still go further out of my way than the real money-minded explorers probably do for planets that are a gamble, but obvious iceballs I just pass up completely.

I think if you want money you just google for black holes and such. I just want to put my name on a lot of poo poo.

Exploring will never get you the same kind of cash money the exploit du jour will.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Here is something new-ish.

1. The wear and tear on paint finally works.
2. It is coded to happen in real time for some reason (as in, real time smooth degradation, no step increments).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRiFWFZgTwc

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Valatar posted:

YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!!!!!11

Honestly though, sometimes I find a system with 100+ objects, 60-70 of which are iceballs, and I like to scan ~everything~ just so if anyone else ever visits that system they might marvel at my madness.

Dante80 posted:

2. It is coded to happen in real time for some reason (as in, real time smooth degradation, no step increments).

Neat! Guess I'll be taking my anaconda with the white paintjob out to the black if they don't make some colors for the corvette.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dante80 posted:

Completely unironically, this has been bizarrely important to me since I started playing and I'm super glad it's gonna work now! :sun:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Neat! Guess I'll be taking my anaconda with the white paintjob out to the black if they don't make some colors for the corvette.

Why do people pay real money for paint jobs in a game without real multiplayer or a decent third person camera?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why do people pay real money for paint jobs in a game without real multiplayer or a decent third person camera?

At least you have a functioning game here. Look At star shitizen. They pay $750 for picture of a space ship for a game you can't even play yet.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why you tryin' to e-shame, bruh? :ese:

I primarily play this game through exploration, which means lots of debug-camera screenshots. The paintjobs cost about as much as a soda and while I may be poor I'm not ~that~ poor. They go on half-price sale all the time and you can get packs with six paintjobs for $3.50USD.

I'm sure you've spent more money on stupider things. :shrug:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
So, I bought my Anaconda tonight. Holy poo poo do I feel like I'm driving a supertanker. That mail slot felt so small and narrow. The bridge is enormous.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MoraleHazard posted:

So, I bought my Anaconda tonight. Holy poo poo do I feel like I'm driving a supertanker. That mail slot felt so small and narrow. The bridge is enormous.

Aim higher than you think is appropriate. You get used to it. Now save up to A-rate the power plant...

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Any currently good locations for lazy trading on M or L pads? I've taken a long break and it's too soon to get serious about anything.

EDIT: Right now I'm doing the rare commodities CG, only 1h53m left on the clock to dock at Hutton Orbital.

EDIT EDIT: Made it. What dumb station. Got 45 mugs and 11 gin tho.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 19, 2016

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm going to try to get to 1.4b liquid and Rear Admiral before FDev flushes the toilet on Sothis/Ceos.

The Great Flush is coming! Soon we will be saved from the Brown Sea!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ferg posted:

Aim higher than you think is appropriate. You get used to it. Now save up to A-rate the power plant...

Which costs more than the ship. I bought an 8D plant and overcharged it to the point that the ship sets on fire after every jump. Worth it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MoraleHazard posted:

At least it's no Type-9 :laffo:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

MoraleHazard posted:

That's a ship that needs Grade A thrusters, preferably with top tier Dirty Drives.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Reinstalled to check out 2.1 , still grindy as gently caress. I don't have this kind of time :(

I just want to fly around and find cool poo poo, not have to worry about having millions of credits. Exploration is fun but not enough to check out.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm just coming back to the game after a long hiatus. Should I fly my Asp to Sothis and be a shitlord? Should I start the Engineer grind? Or can I just head back into the black and ignore all that (literal) poo poo?

Also, how do people deal with using a HOTAS? I got a Thrustmaster T-Flight a while back and it just feels weird to me compared to the PS4 controller. I'm worried I'm going to slam my ship into the side of the mailslot and be out 700k. Deceleration via the throttle is better though, so I don't worry about crashing into the sun when I use it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you want more money to buy something new, go to Sothis and haul poop until they nerf it. If you want to pimp your Asp to go faster/further, do engineers. If you're happy with the Asp as it is just go and take pictures in space.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I am perhaps doing it wrong, but how do I find these pirates I am supposed to hunt? I got 15/16 but now I can't find "mission targets". Neither in free space, nor at nav beacons nor at RES.

Also, are there BGS factors that determime whether a faction offers pirate hunting missions? It's not like war/civil war afaik.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Also, how do people deal with using a HOTAS? I got a Thrustmaster T-Flight a while back and it just feels weird to me compared to the PS4 controller. I'm worried I'm going to slam my ship into the side of the mailslot and be out 700k. Deceleration via the throttle is better though, so I don't worry about crashing into the sun when I use it.

In what way does it feel weird? The longer throw to get quick reactions out of the ship?

A lot of it could just be down to the null zone, sensitivity settings, and any response curves you may have set up for it. It took a good while for me to get my setup tweaked to “feel right”, but it was a whole lot more responsive to what I wanted to happen compared to what I managed to get out of a controller. Now, granted, a lot of that might just be down to familiarity and long-time use.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Einbauschrank posted:

I am perhaps doing it wrong, but how do I find these pirates I am supposed to hunt? I got 15/16 but now I can't find "mission targets". Neither in free space, nor at nav beacons nor at RES.

Also, are there BGS factors that determime whether a faction offers pirate hunting missions? It's not like war/civil war afaik.

Any ship belonging to a pirate faction should be fair game. You may just be falling foul of the RNG. Have you tried quitting to the main menu and re-entering the game? Failing that, try dropping into a different game mode (private/solo) and just give it a bit of time for the system to populate.

Not sure about your second question.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

Any ship belonging to a pirate faction should be fair game.

Ah, I have to hunt the "pirates of the xyz faction". So not any purate will do. Or is pirate simply another word for "our opponents"?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

In what way does it feel weird? The longer throw to get quick reactions out of the ship?

A lot of it could just be down to the null zone, sensitivity settings, and any response curves you may have set up for it. It took a good while for me to get my setup tweaked to “feel right”, but it was a whole lot more responsive to what I wanted to happen compared to what I managed to get out of a controller. Now, granted, a lot of that might just be down to familiarity and long-time use.

Mostly has to do with the fact that any subtle movements I try to do tend to be too little, so I overcompensate and that results in rolling/pitching a bit more than I'd like. I'm sure it's mostly just a case of no muscle memory along with "How am I going to map all these controls?", but I'm tempted to fly around in a cheaper ship for a bit to get a feel for things and figure out how I want to map everything before I set out for real in my Asp, especially since I can't mess around with an SRV in the Training missions for whatever reason (why wouldn't they add a Training mission for the SRV? :psyduck: )

Using the HOTAS also means I have to push my keyboard back on my desk to accommodate the throttle while the stick sits on my mousepad, so the mouse only has a small corner to work in and the keyboard is awkward to access for anything beyond single key presses (i.e. typing). I'm also not looking forward to dealing with interdictions while I'm getting used to everything; I kinda stopped playing last year because the AI was dumb and would interdict you for your non-existent cargo in your non-existent cargo hold and I'm not confident they ever fixed that. :frontear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Einbauschrank posted:

I find 95% of those interdicting or being interdicted by them, rather than at zones where pirates spawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Einbauschrank posted:

Ah, I have to hunt the "pirates of the xyz faction". So not any purate will do. Or is pirate simply another word for "our opponents"?

Ahh, yeah then the first part of my statement was erroneous.

Morter posted:

I find 95% of those interdicting or being interdicted by them, rather than at zones where pirates spawn

In cases where you have to target a specific faction, Morter has the right idea here. Interdict. If you're still not seeing members of that faction, try relogging or leaving the system then re-entering.

• Locked thread