Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching Rules of Engagement, is this Vulcan admiral the worst judge ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

nerdman42 posted:

Worf is kind of a weirdo by Klingon standards. He's always so serious and controlled and acts like that's the Klingon way, but the Klingons are mostly arrogant, boastful party animals

I am not sure there is a time in the series' history where the Klingon government isn't hilariously corrupt and WITHOUT HONOR though.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

Worf is kind of a weirdo by Klingon standards. He's always so serious and controlled and acts like that's the Klingon way, but the Klingons are mostly arrogant, boastful party animals

Worf is forever this meme guy, trying to fit into a culture that doesn't exist.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Please don't doxx me

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Due to a labelling mishap Worf's Kobayashi Maru test at Starfleet Academy involved going to a barbecue with Rawhide.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

MorgaineDax posted:

Worf is forever this meme guy, trying to fit into a culture that doesn't exist.

This is amazing. "Texas and Oklahoma dialects"
I bet Worf's Klingon has a really bad accent, and there's a ton of slang he doesn't get or misuses. Why yes, my fellow warrior, I AM a son of a targ!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Pwnstar posted:

Due to a labelling mishap Worf's Kobayashi Maru test at Starfleet Academy involved going to a barbecue with Rawhide.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

UnquietDream posted:

Pogo has a new thing out, it may be of some interest Data & Picard

Another proud graduate of the Lambert Wilson School of Weird Mouths, I hear he roomed with Cumberbatch

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

This is amazing. "Texas and Oklahoma dialects"
I bet Worf's Klingon has a really bad accent, and there's a ton of slang he doesn't get or misuses. Why yes, my fellow warrior, I AM a son of a targ!

Yeah, poor Worf doesn't even talk like the other Klingons. They're always hissing and growling and swearing and he just does his stiff, sonorous thing. They drink and slouch and backslap and shoot the poo poo while he's just standing there drinking his prune juice. He's like the uptight guy at the party who brings everyone else down, but for his entire species.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, poor Worf doesn't even talk like the other Klingons. They're always hissing and growling and swearing and he just does his stiff, sonorous thing. They drink and slouch and backslap and shoot the poo poo while he's just standing there drinking his prune juice. He's like the uptight guy at the party who brings everyone else down, but for his entire species.

I also have to wonder if this isn't mostly a product of bad TNG writing. They couldn't figure out what Klingons were supposed to be like and before they realized it they made Worf, the Orthodox Klingon, totally unlike every other Klingon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would argue that Klingons in general weren't really finalized until midway through TNG. They're distinct from TOS Klingons and even Kruge in III doesn't quite act like what we recognize as Klingon after TNG.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would argue that Klingons in general weren't really finalized until midway through TNG. They're distinct from TOS Klingons and even Kruge in III doesn't quite act like what we recognize as Klingon after TNG.

Well, to be fair, in TOS the Klingons were basically Space Soviets, and in III they were originally written as Romulans.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I kinda hate TNG Klingons because they're mostly dumb as rocks and ludicrously one-note. Every TOS/movies Klingon was a little different, but their defining features were pride, cunning, and ruthlessness -- usually in that order. They make fantastic villains because there's a lot of old-school tragedy inherent in their personalities. The very same qualities that make them so formidable and dangerous also wind up being their undoing. Worf couldn't really be cunning or ruthless and a good guy at the same time (though they tried from time to time), so all that was really left was the pride, which was repurposed into this monomaniacal obsession with honor. I think valuing honor fits with who the Klingons are, but making it the cornerstone of their society always felt wrong to me. They also fell into the trap of making the Klingons be good guys (sort of), but still trying to use them as villains, which meant that their whole culture comes off as schizophrenic and tainted by a pretty serious show vs. tell discrepancy.

All the TNG klingon villains are utterly un-Worflike (IE without honor), but they don't really have the qualities that made TOS Klingons compelling, either. The Duras aren't proud, they're treacherous cowards who are really just toadies for the Romulans. They aren't cunning because most of their plans are idiotic and short-sighted. And as for ruthlessness, they do a lot of bad poo poo, but it's mostly half-measures and manipulations. Meanwhile, the rest of the Klingons, who have supposedly grown since the TOS era, bend over backwards to accommodate this pack of selfish, dangerous idiots when they really don't need to. It's all just "wah wah their family is too powerful" and it's bullshit. Later on, they at least acknowledged that all this talk of honor was mostly just talk, but that's not really the part I have a problem with.

Of course Klingon honor is just bullshit (to everyone but Worf), but if they're not honorable like Worf and they don't have the qualities that made TOS Klingons so formidable, what the hell do they have going for them? A love of battle? Except for during the civil war, the TNG Klingons didn't even have anyone to fight. What's the point of all this robes and swords metal album crap anyway? Do they just drink and listen to opera and have tournaments and hang out at weird cloning monasteries all day? Doesn't anyone in the "Empire" have a real loving job? Seriously, don't they do anything besides fight, party, and talk about Kahless? Is that why they murder each other at the drop of a hat -- because they're bored out of their skulls?

The whole thing is just so shallow and trite and pointless and if it weren't for crazy-eyes Gowron and a couple other decent guest stars I'd be tempted to write off TNG Klingons entirely.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Duckbag posted:

I kinda hate TNG Klingons because they're mostly dumb as rocks and ludicrously one-note. Every TOS/movies Klingon was a little different, but their defining features were pride, cunning, and ruthlessness -- usually in that order. They make fantastic villains because there's a lot of old-school tragedy inherent in their personalities. The very same qualities that make them so formidable and dangerous also wind up being their undoing. Worf couldn't really be cunning or ruthless and a good guy at the same time (though they tried from time to time), so all that was really left was the pride, which was repurposed into this monomaniacal obsession with honor. I think valuing honor fits with who the Klingons are, but making it the cornerstone of their society always felt wrong to me. They also fell into the trap of making the Klingons be good guys (sort of), but still trying to use them as villains, which meant that their whole culture comes off as schizophrenic and tainted by a pretty serious show vs. tell discrepancy.

All the TNG klingon villains are utterly un-Worflike (IE without honor), but they don't really have the qualities that made TOS Klingons compelling, either. The Duras aren't proud, they're treacherous cowards who are really just toadies for the Romulans. They aren't cunning because most of their plans are idiotic and short-sighted. And as for ruthlessness, they do a lot of bad poo poo, but it's mostly half-measures and manipulations. Meanwhile, the rest of the Klingons, who have supposedly grown since the TOS era, bend over backwards to accommodate this pack of selfish, dangerous idiots when they really don't need to. It's all just "wah wah their family is too powerful" and it's bullshit. Later on, they at least acknowledged that all this talk of honor was mostly just talk, but that's not really the part I have a problem with.

Of course Klingon honor is just bullshit (to everyone but Worf), but if they're not honorable like Worf and they don't have the qualities that made TOS Klingons so formidable, what the hell do they have going for them? A love of battle? Except for during the civil war, the TNG Klingons didn't even have anyone to fight. What's the point of all this robes and swords metal album crap anyway? Do they just drink and listen to opera and have tournaments and hang out at weird cloning monasteries all day? Doesn't anyone in the "Empire" have a real loving job? Seriously, don't they do anything besides fight, party, and talk about Kahless? Is that why they murder each other at the drop of a hat -- because they're bored out of their skulls?

The whole thing is just so shallow and trite and pointless and if it weren't for crazy-eyes Gowron and a couple other decent guest stars I'd be tempted to write off TNG Klingons entirely.

I think it would be cool if they expanded the "empire" idea by showing conquered, enslaved races doing all the honorless paper-pushing and science type jobs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think it would be cool if they expanded the "empire" idea by showing conquered, enslaved races doing all the honorless paper-pushing and science type jobs.

Yeah for a race that's apparently always conquering all the time we never really see anyone they've conquered. I can understand them keeping everyone as oppressed tributaries that can't join the military. I could also see their society actually being a "warrior society" because a huge chunk of their species has to serve in the military to keep all their conquered population in order. Which makes it extra weird the federation would ally with an empire like that. But if they don't have an empire of conquered tributaries and vassals then they're pretty lovely warriors I guess.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

If they ever do post-Voyager Trek, I would kind of love to see a new version of the Borg... take the idea of Locutus to an extreme, where they try to create a more personable face to the Collective... and now they sell people on the idea of assimilation instead of forcing it on people. What would the Federation do if people were willingly joining the Borg because of their new friendlier sales pitch?

"Join the Collective! You will never be lonely again, and you get a free ocular implant!"

Work as a drone by day, escape to Unimatrix Zero at night! It can't be much worse than working a 9-5!

They're supposed to be able to adapt to anything... I think this would be a sensible adaptation after all of their encounters with humans. They take a page out of the Federation's playbook, basically.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 18, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

If they ever do post-Voyager Trek, I would kind of love to see a new version of the Borg... take the idea of Locutus to an extreme, where they try to create a more personable face to the Collective... and now they sell people on the idea of assimilation instead of forcing it on people. What would the Federation do if people were willingly joining the Borg because of their new friendlier sales pitch?

"Join the Collective! You will never be lonely again, and you get a free ocular implant!"

Work as a drone by day, escape to Unimatrix Zero at night! It can't be much worse than working a 9-5!

They're supposed to be able to adapt to anything... I think this would be a sensible adaptation after all of their encounters with humans. They take a page out of the Federation's playbook, basically.

http://angryflower.com/349.html

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ha, exactly!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Duckbag posted:

Most of the Klingons we get to see and deal with are the elite of the elite of the elite. Basically Downton Abbey.

Plus this:

Baronjutter posted:

I could also see their society actually being a "warrior society" because a huge chunk of their species has to serve in the military to keep all their conquered population in order.

Which would make them literally Spartans.

In conclusion, Downton Abbey + Sparta + Space = Klingons

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

That could actually bring scary back to the Borg.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Borg as the Cult of Thulsa Doom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When the Borg were first introduced all they gave a poo poo about was tech and assimilated Picard for the sake of communication(+getting his knowledge about the Federation and poo poo, I guess). The switch to converting organic life made them a lot dumber.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They became space zombies led by a zombie queen, it's poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hugh made them space retards its canon.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
So what do you guys think of the new "fast" Borg

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

They became space zombies led by a zombie queen, it's poo poo.

One episode of blowing up queens, one episode of the borg thanking starfleet for freeing them from slavery, no more borg episodes.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think the Borg got better with every development. The pasty seizure-prone model-kit-gone-overboard look was pretty lame compared to what we got later.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I could have standed to see them go a little more body horror space zombie, like the organic components were juuuust barely alive still. You could have a mix of freshly assimilated and then some are almost walking cadavers riddled with tech.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I think a lot these issues come from Trek being very much a writer's show. They've had great effects teams and the people writing it knew enough to use them, but the show is also pretty famous for being something you can basically follow with your eyes closed. Voyager tried to get less stagey and make the action and visual effects more prominent, but they still never really got a handle on visual storytelling. No one ever shuts up in Star Trek and half of what they're saying could be readily inferred from just what we're seeing on screen. Take the scene in Q Who where they find the borg baby. The image is creepy enough on its own and having the characters discuss what they're seeing at length actually lessens the effect.

It's sort of like those old marvel comics where Kirby or Ditko or whoever are basically telling the story through their art, but Stan Lee still crowds every panel with word balloons and narrative boxes telling us what we can already see. Maybe it helps kids and inattentive adults follow along a little better, but it also makes it feel less important to pay attention in the first place. I think a lot of the problems come from having this rotating roster of directors, half of whom were serviceable at best. If you can never totally rely on your vision making it to the screen intact, then you have start building redundancy into the dialog, because at least then people can still follow the story. Exposition quickly becomes a crutch, however, and in many, many episodes it feels like the actual images on screen were something of an afterthought. Many of the forehead aliens, for instance, seem to have been written without anyone involved knowing what their makeup would look like. If the borg had started out in a movie, where directors call the shots, I think they would have had a bit more visual flair to start with. They did become much more dynamic looking in First Contact (budgets help), but, by then, their basic look was pretty well established.

The same thing goes for Klingons, who, I still contend, never looked better or more alien then that one scene in TMP. The whole thing has no (english) dialog at all, but it's still easily the best part of the movie. It doesn't even really need subtitles, you can just see what's happening on screen. Too bad the rest of the movie had to have so much blather.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

thexerox123 posted:

Aggressive Hegemonising Swarm Objects are so passé. They assimilated someone who'd read the Culture novels and were instantly converted into an Evangelical Hegemonising Swarm.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Duckbag posted:

If the borg had started out in a movie, where directors call the shots, I think they would have had a bit more visual flair to start with. They did become much more dynamic looking in First Contact (budgets help), but, by then, their basic look was pretty well established.

I remember reading that had they the budget, the Borg were supposed to be an insectoid race and the inside of their ships were supposed to basically be big beehives.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Free occular implant is nice, and all. But it's no giant whirring claw. Or robot diaper.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm not signing anything until I'm guaranteed a holographic Pog eye.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm not signing anything until I'm guaranteed a holographic Pog eye.

The Collective had the best slammers. Made of the finest duranium.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gonz posted:

Free occular implant is nice, and all. But it's no giant whirring claw. Or robot diaper.

Where do I put my cyber shits?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cojawfee posted:

Something Awful

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Cojawfee posted:

skasion posted:

Something Awful

:vince:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thexerox123 posted:

But people in the Federation don't work 9-5s. :confused: Also "can't be much worse" isn't exactly a hot selling point.

I mean, the basic premise you're presenting is "what if a big spacefaring civilization rolled up one day and said 'hey free citizenship for anyone who wants to come along!'" so I guess the question is what would make the Borg doing this particularly scarier than if it were, say, a bunch of random not-cyborgs who just happened to like tooling around on a giant spaceship all year long? Should the Federation be so afraid of brain drain that they would implement Soviet-style emigration control?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

But people in the Federation don't work 9-5s. :confused:

The Federation is more than just Earth. And anyways, even if there isn't money, people still clearly have professions and schedules on Earth. Even in Starfleet, we see Barclay working on the Pathfinder project, and going home to his apartment. And people outside of Starfleet working as professors, scientists, farmers, chefs, geo-engineers... are you suggesting they don't have work/life balance because they don't work for currency?

And what would make the Borg scarier for doing it is that they used to be the Federation's implacable enemies. Hell, the enemies of every sentient, advanced species.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm suggesting that most Federation citizens would probably see 40 hours of work a week as being an unusually long work schedule.