Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I just R5'd Alexander for this event.

It's one of the easier summons to hone, though it does cost as much Major Holy Orbs as it does to craft an average 5 star ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Do dual-element SB's count towards both Mastery Conditions?

Example:

This Event's Ultimate, Taharka, has two mastery conditions for use Fire and use Wind. If I were to use Fang's SSB which is Fire and Wind damage, would that count as fulfilling both conditions or would I need an alternate source of one of them to cover it? And if so, which one?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bilperkins2 posted:

Do dual-element SB's count towards both Mastery Conditions?

Example:

This Event's Ultimate, Taharka, has two mastery conditions for use Fire and use Wind. If I were to use Fang's SSB which is Fire and Wind damage, would that count as fulfilling both conditions or would I need an alternate source of one of them to cover it? And if so, which one?

No. the one that is listed first counts.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Counterpoint: I used Celes' BSB in the Zombie Dragon battle and the holy/fire command counted against the medal condition of "don't use fire during phase 2", even though it should have only counted the holy part for the purposes of weakness.

Edit: nevermind can't read CaptainPsyko is right.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CaptainPsyko posted:

No. the one that is listed first counts.

Incorrect. They all count. Note that this means if there's a mastery condition for not using Earth on an enemy, casting Meltdown will fail that condition.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
11-pulled on Keepsake Ribbon 2, in an attempt to complete my Freya for the moment.

2/11

Tin Armor
Bistro Fork

Ah well, maybe next time it shows up.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I decided to pull on the banner with shield book and scream sword. I. I love this game sometimes.

I got both of them. The rest was 3 and 4 star junk, but I got them. Praise RNGesus or something.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

xanthan posted:

I decided to pull on the banner with shield book and scream sword. I. I love this game sometimes.

I got both of them. The rest was 3 and 4 star junk, but I got them. Praise RNGesus or something.
Congrats on being fully self sufficient for a physical team :toot: Now you can pull entirely for damage relics or characters you like, and bring along stuff like medica BSBs as your RW.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Congrats on being fully self sufficient for a physical team :toot: Now you can pull entirely for damage relics or characters you like, and bring along stuff like medica BSBs as your RW.

Would that work well with a Tyro healer? I've avoided bringing Ramza and Tyro together (have SG and Shout) since that would leave only two slots for DPS, or would lose my medica. If Tyro was a healer and RW'd my medica, that might be very interesting...

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
That meltigemini bio doesn't gently caress around. A-team clear was a bit of a struggle. Not bothering with cm without a clear gimmick to exploit...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bilperkins2 posted:

Would that work well with a Tyro healer? I've avoided bringing Ramza and Tyro together (have SG and Shout) since that would leave only two slots for DPS, or would lose my medica. If Tyro was a healer and RW'd my medica, that might be very interesting...

Curaja has high enough base power that as long as Tyro packs synergy +MND gear he'll do just fine as your white mage. I wouldn't recommend it ungeared, mind you, and he loses about 500-1000 per heal over a dedicated WHM (like 3800 vs someone like Selphie healing for 4500), but for most content you'd either use the medica for big heals or wouldn't need big heals.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah, Tyro is a good healer for nightmare stuff because he and all his gear gets auto-synergy but I wouldn't recommend him as a main healer. I typically bring a support, two DPS, a healer, and Tyro to fill any holes when I'm doing non-U++ content anyway.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Didn't even know the new Nightmare dungeons were tonight.

The Lucky Relic Draw for White Magic isn't even half-price? Pass. Even though not all the relics on that banner are strictly healing-related, I don't think it's worth it right now after pulling Eiko's Hamelin

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shock Trooper posted:

Didn't even know the new Nightmare dungeons were tonight.

The Lucky Relic Draw for White Magic isn't even half-price? Pass. Even though not all the relics on that banner are strictly healing-related, I don't think it's worth it right now after pulling Eiko's Hamelin

Nightmare banners from here on out are themed normal banners with infinite pulls. Half-off Lucky Draws will be used for other things.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So what makes it a "lucky" banner anyway? Higher drop rates? And is this one worth pulling on? I only have 60 mythril saved up so far and I want to definitely pull on Onion Knight, Alphinaud, and the XIII banner that are coming up, with maybe one or two others that look pretty cool. I still have quite a few regular and elite dungeons to do also, so I have some extra mythril coming in from there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So what makes it a "lucky" banner anyway? Higher drop rates? And is this one worth pulling on? I only have 60 mythril saved up so far and I want to definitely pull on Onion Knight, Alphinaud, and the XIII banner that are coming up, with maybe one or two others that look pretty cool. I still have quite a few regular and elite dungeons to do also, so I have some extra mythril coming in from there.

Any 5* you get is a SB/SSB/BSB relic, and in this case will always be for someone with WHT5. Same ~14% chance for a 5* as normal banners.

The "lucky" part comes from the fact that there's no "unlucky" off-banner/generic 5*s in the pool. (Mild disclaimer that some relics are still wet farts, like, say, Healing Grimoire.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Perfected the CM with a Vivi BSB :toot: Managed to kill Z&T with Garnet while Vivi and Kuja were charging a doublecast fira so meltigemini was at like 2/3 HP before it even got to act

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I suppose the Guy event is also being moved back to Thursday.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Tried the Nightmare fight the way it was meant to be fought. After 2 minutes I decided the gimmick was awful and garbage and just brute forced it, which is 100 times easier.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If I can barely squeak by in regular Ultimate fights, should I even attempt any of the Nightmare dungeon stuff? Pretty tempted by all the major orbs and neat accessories, but that's a lot of stamina to spend if I'm just gonna get stomped.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

If I can barely squeak by in regular Ultimate fights, should I even attempt any of the Nightmare dungeon stuff? Pretty tempted by all the major orbs and neat accessories, but that's a lot of stamina to spend if I'm just gonna get stomped.

A lot of the nightmare trash fights are much easier than actual ultimates.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wtf is this 50 gem lucky draw garbage <:mad:>

On the bright side, I think my party is nightmare capable now, so I should be able to spend the next however long Nightmares are open to farm goodies

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KnoxZone posted:

Tried the Nightmare fight the way it was meant to be fought. After 2 minutes I decided the gimmick was awful and garbage and just brute forced it, which is 100 times easier.

Not easier. Hot Potato is super loving easy. It's just not especially interesting.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

Not easier. Hot Potato is super loving easy. It's just not especially interesting.

Is there any reason to explicitly bring Hastega or Wall if you're playing Hot Potato? I'm one of the ones unfortunate enough to not have Wall native, and my hastegas are all on non-WHT5 characters. Brute-forcing it might be feasible but it seems boring in an entirely different fashion than the "intended" way, plus I don't think two Sheepsong casts will be enough if I'm relying purely on summons; I grossly underestimated just how high the Guardian's RES was.

(Edit: For the record, my medicas are Dreamstage, Healing Wind, Flames of Rebirth, Intercession, and both Oerba's Boon and Miracle Prayer. Any recs on which to use? I know FoR is good in this case for if you mistime the hot potatos, at least.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 19, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wow, had no idea there was a Nightmare tonight.

Also this one didn't have much of a gimmick, I even used my usual physical team. Fire resist accessories meant I could just power through the Atomic Rays counters, and the constant barrage of that meant Lenna could throw out Medicas almost non-stop. Mastered it too.

What a weird Nightmare.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

What is going on with the programming in this game, anyway? My phone is newish and not weak specs-wise (Oneplus 3) and I'll get creamy smooth 60fps in maybe one fight a week, randomly. I know the game is capable of it, it just seems to almost never actually use my phone's power.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

What is going on with the programming in this game, anyway? My phone is newish and not weak specs-wise (Oneplus 3) and I'll get creamy smooth 60fps in maybe one fight a week, randomly. I know the game is capable of it, it just seems to almost never actually use my phone's power.

The Droid port is a victim of a sloppy porting that isn't always well-optimized. It runs a lot better on iOS, but that doesn't much help your own situation.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
CM went pretty smooth. Beatrix built 3 bars against Torn/Zorn, Vivi and Eiko slammed them with Chain Blizz and Bahamut, Garnet got my hastega running, Quina hit the magic breaks and used Sheepsong. Then just Vivi hammering with Chain Fire, Eiko with Alexander, Beatrix using Seiken Shock every turn, and Eiko bursting.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

You could probably at least take the first fight in each Nightmare dungeon, which is fine if you really need orbs since the harder fights replace some of the orbs with crystals anyway. Looking for bosses with easy gimmicks and/or ones which you have a lot of synergy for between your party and your gear can also go a long way. Nightmare dungeons are great for stocking up on just about any type of orb you might need if you haven't done any of them yet, so it's definitely worth attempting.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Heads up to other JP players: they just put up a Lucky Draw over there too, and this one is a one-time only 25 Mythril one.

Appears to be mostly Thief stuff, at a glance? Not really sure, all I know is I pulled Locke's BSB and Yuffie's BSB out of it.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Went back and murdered evrae after all this time. Kaiser dragon is next in the list, I need me some meltdown.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know people say always pull on lucky draws but I have Aerith BSB and like 3 other medicas (Rosa SSB, Yuna SB, Penelo SB)

I should probably skip this yes

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know people say always pull on lucky draws but I have Aerith BSB and like 3 other medicas (Rosa SSB, Yuna SB, Penelo SB)

Don't always pull on the full price ones! "Always pull on lucky draws" refers to 25 myth pulls

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Specifically people meant you should always pull on HALF-PRICE lucky draws, which this is not. It's a very skippable banner. After another month or two in Japan, they changed these new full price lucky draws to always be SSB or better, to remove the risk of getting awful first-generation SBs. But that time has not yet come.

Anyway, brute forced my way through the Nightmare. It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Don't always pull on the full price ones! "Always pull on lucky draws" refers to 25 myth pulls

Yup, at full price you evaluate it just like you would any other banner: do I need/want anything on this?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh yeah, uh... I did the 100 gem pull on the new banner and somehow got Kuja's glove.

When the gently caress was Kuja a white magic user.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

widespread posted:

Oh yeah, uh... I did the 100 gem pull on the new banner and somehow got Kuja's glove.

5* wht, due to using Holy in the game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

widespread posted:

BLK5/WHT5/DRK5. He and Exdeath both technically count.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

widespread posted:

Always, he debuted with Black/White/Darkness 5. Or if you need game basis, he did use Holy in the original game.

Anyway Guardian down, but that was a bit of a slog. Was never in any real danger (Lenna was twiddling her thumbs for most of it), but its RES was impressively high - Kuja with Strange Vision buff, Darkflare Star buff and +40% Fire damage was only doing about 8k with Firajas.

Honestly, if you don't need the Hastega (and Guardian is so slow you very well might not need it) I'd consider RWing Selphie BSB - it's AoE entry to help clear out the Launchers, its got a stacking MAG/MND buff, and Moonstone has a Dispel effect, saving you a slot for Mastery medals and letting you bring something like Haste.

Only switch I'd have made is given Selphie the Healing Staff instead for the +Holy boost, and replace Dispel on Lenna with something else, but she literally had nothing else to do and I wasn't gonna craft Diara/Diaga again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I have Selphie's BSB and enough healers with SBs to make a party (with Tyro), so this may be my first nightmare dungeon cleared :toot: I'll give it a shot later. It's a shame Garnet only has White 4* so she doesn't count, otherwise I'd have a hastega.

• Locked thread