Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I've seen businesses nearby with big NO CHEP PALLETS IN THIS FACILITY signs on the gate, they've got a pretty bad reputation

Edit:

quote:

BACK in 2002, when Brambles was woefully underperforming, its management admitted the European division of its CHEP subsidiary had somehow mislaid 15 million pallets.

''I don't think we have lost the pallets,'' then-chairman Don Argus told shareholders. ''They are just missing from the pool.''

quote:

The NSW Supreme Court last week ordered that Bunnings must pay CHEP $10.98 million plus interest for the daily hire of almost 65,000 CHEP pallets between January 2002 and mid-2007.

Bunnings has never been a CHEP customer. It uses pallets supplied by CHEP's rival, Loscam, or its own pallets.

But by October 2007, CHEP's informal audits indicated that the hardware retailer had accumulated 82,216 of its pallets. Of these, 64,690 were not subject to a hire agreement.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/bunnings-owes-11m-for-pallets-20100511-uuy8.html

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The door on my huge laser broke and we had to gently caress around with the safety interlock because the door wasn't closing right or popping up a couple mm enough to trip the interlock...
It's still safe, just don't like, stick you face in there!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

it costs so much more to ship pallets back from most places that $10,000 pallet disassembly machines exist.

This is true only for areas that are about 100% empty, such as the USA. And possibly Norway I guess since it is a bit more mountainous than most European countries. You still only have to ship them back to the nearest terminal, though.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Hollow Talk posted:

I am honestly disappointed that he isn't standing on a little ladder up there to reach that light more comfortably.

The railing of the bucket is all the ladder he needs.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What's more dangerous than one magnetron? Three focused magnetrons, and a handful of Ukranian kids who definitely aren't going to boil their eyes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XbLz0L6UdI

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBBkuyhKltE&t=192s

Reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsPqJOKmiQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I bet it didn't see that coming.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Officials release name of victim killed after anhydrous ammonia leak
Highway still closed Tuesday afternoon

The leak began Monday evening near Tekamah, according to Bruce Heine of Magellan Midstream Partners.

Terry Schroeder, an emergency manager for Burt County, confirmed that an anhydrous pipeline broke overnight in rural Burt County, forcing a number of families to be evacuated.

Schroeder said the call came in around 10 p.m. about the leak, which was reported about six miles north of Tekamah, less than a mile from Highway 75.

The State Patrol confirmed that Highway 75 between Tekamah and Decatur has been shut down until further notice.

http://www.ketv.com/news/1-dead-highway-shut-down-after-anhydrous-leak-near-tekamah/42150894

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Whoopsie-doodle.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/18/peterson-air-force-base-laced-water-spill/

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Kind of explains Colorado Springs though

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Lime Tonics posted:

Officials release name of victim killed after anhydrous ammonia leak
Highway still closed Tuesday afternoon

The leak began Monday evening near Tekamah, according to Bruce Heine of Magellan Midstream Partners.

Terry Schroeder, an emergency manager for Burt County, confirmed that an anhydrous pipeline broke overnight in rural Burt County, forcing a number of families to be evacuated.

Schroeder said the call came in around 10 p.m. about the leak, which was reported about six miles north of Tekamah, less than a mile from Highway 75.

The State Patrol confirmed that Highway 75 between Tekamah and Decatur has been shut down until further notice.

http://www.ketv.com/news/1-dead-highway-shut-down-after-anhydrous-leak-near-tekamah/42150894

that reminds me of the time some new engineer at the pork plant where my dad worked was loving with the ammonia refrigeration system (if I recall correctly it was one of those situations where the old hats at the plant told him that "we do it this way all the time it's fine, don't worry") and they had to evacuate a big part of the city for a day. ammonia is rough stuff

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

neonbregna posted:

Kind of explains Colorado Springs though

Col. D Schiess is on the case!

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I've seen businesses nearby with big NO CHEP PALLETS IN THIS FACILITY signs on the gate, they've got a pretty bad reputation

Edit:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/bunnings-owes-11m-for-pallets-20100511-uuy8.html

Conversely, just like CHEP pallets can disappear into thin air, you can also create them from nothing. Damaged pallets count for returns, even if only 3/4 of the pallet is there. At $25 or so a pop, creating CHEP pallets is a pretty profitable way to spend an afternoon.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

"What the gently caress! I thought it should be like steel ball, but there's some like, loving cheating inside."

Oh my god I'm dying. Finns are the best.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing is right here.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

goodnight mooned posted:

Conversely, just like CHEP pallets can disappear into thin air, you can also create them from nothing. Damaged pallets count for returns, even if only 3/4 of the pallet is there. At $25 or so a pop, creating CHEP pallets is a pretty profitable way to spend an afternoon.

We had a mexican guy that worked for us and on days with little other work he would rebuild pallets and we would pay him a cut. He would literally pull them apart with a crowbar and rebuild them with reused nails so it cost nothing but time. Some weeks a day of that would double his weekly pay.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Costco stores hoard their pallets in an empty trailer until it's full then some lucky route driver gets to take them back to the DC as his backhaul. Getting paid loaded mileage to carry a trailer that's barely got any weight in it like that is a good day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Nothing is right here.

the gently caress is even going on?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

the gently caress is even going on?

This trashy woman is refuling the vehicle an attendant approaches, them the driver drives off pulling the fuel line off.

My guess is they were trying to steal the gas.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

tater_salad posted:

This trashy woman is refuling the vehicle an attendant approaches, them the driver drives off pulling the fuel line off.

My guess is they were trying to steal the gas.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/30/the-best-video-of-a-fuel-heist-gone-wrong-you-will-see-all-day/

God bless Google Image Search. Something else I saw indicated the attendant approached when he noticed the front and rear plates didn't match.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The below happened at a Caltex station in Mount Warren Park near Brisbane, Australlia

oh right.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Last night I dreamed I was a fairground guy responsible for one of these things: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout_(play)

Except it was suspended on a pole about 10m high. Instead of using your feet to push yourself around, there was a rope suspended from a nearby pole around 12m tall, to pull yourself around. No safety rail.

Access either by climbing a ladder straight up, or hauling yourself up the rope, which dangled all the way to the ground.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 19, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Nothing is right here.

Is the fire extinguisher for extinguishing or hitting?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

bitcoin bastard posted:

Is the fire extinguisher for extinguishing or hitting?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Javid posted:

Costco stores hoard their pallets in an empty trailer until it's full then some lucky route driver gets to take them back to the DC as his backhaul. Getting paid loaded mileage to carry a trailer that's barely got any weight in it like that is a good day.

Back when I was a warehouse manager, I never spent a penny on pallets. Whenever we needed pallets, I'd get them from UPS. They always had leftovers. We'd stack the lovely ones outside and our cardboard guy would take them for firewood or neighboring warehouses would steal them.

Pallets are a strange commodity in the shipping industry. I once got a pallet that was made of 3/4" Baltic birch. I made two nice boxes out of it. It must have been a $50 pallet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When I was working at a logistics terminal sometimes a customs officer would wander in and try to interrogate me because some crisps were on CHEP pallets. I'm assuming customs were involved because crisps are made in Åland which, while in the same country and inside the EU customs zone, is not in the EU revenue zone and excise duties are handled by customs until the end of this year. Or something like that. No idea what CHEP has to do with it :shrug:. Well that's my CHEP story god bless the United States of America.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Say Nothing posted:

Nothing is right here.

I think all the gas hoses in the 'States have a disconnector on them so there's no spill if someone drives off with the nozzle still inserted.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

I think all the gas hoses in the 'States have a disconnector on them so there's no spill if someone drives off with the nozzle still inserted.

All the ones I've ever seen, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised it it's a state by state thing and somewhere like Wyoming lacks them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

All the ones I've ever seen, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised it it's a state by state thing and somewhere like Wyoming lacks them.

New Jersey* doesn't need them because civilians aren't allowed to pump gas.

*) Did I remember that right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oregon as well.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Platystemon posted:

Oregon as well.

As a person that worked in a Colorado gas station I can confirm this, and confirm that people from Oregon did not get this when visiting another state. They would beep their horn and expect me to come out and pump gas then come in and ask me to pump gas and it's like "no dude I can't leave the register, pumping the gas on your own is not hard"

And yes, I did see more than one person drive off with the hose in and those disconnects do work, but have to be replaced and are not cheap.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Three-Phase posted:

By federal law, all Australian fuel bowsers require an automatic cutoff - but it has 30 seconds to activate.

So you get servos letting their maintenance go all to hell because if the valve hasn't turned in thirty seconds it's never going to. Meaning a lot of pumps' safety features are just barely working and probably haven't been tested for months.

Then, if someone rips off the hose, that's a hell of a lot of petrol on the ground.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 19, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Gorilla Salad posted:

By federal law, all Australian fuel bowsers require an automatic cutoff - but it has 30 seconds to activate.

So you get servos letting their maintenance go all to hell because if the valve hasn't turned in thirty seconds it's never going to. Meaning a lot of pumps' safety features are just barely working and probably haven't been tested for months.

Then, if someone rips off the hose, that's a hell of a lot of petrol on the ground.

When I worked a gas station in my teens, we were required to be within 5 seconds reach of the main emergency cutoff either inside or outside for the pumps whenever someone was fueling.

Of course, being alone at the station meant ignoring that to actually do your job, but we did have some fires and driveoffs where we had to cut off quick. We had an electronic one on the register and a physical, big red button that cut power to the pumps and closed valves so that no petrol could come through on any of the pumps.

As for OSHA content, we had a dumpster parked right next to the building with a bit of the roof overhanging it close to the AC system. The AC system ducts were full of grease, because the cooking vents were crap and the AC sucked up everything airborne inside.

The dumpster got lit on fire by some moron and I had to empty a couple of fire extinguishers into the damned thing to prevent the flames from reaching the roof while fire services got there. Couldn't put it out for the life of me though, it was filled with burning plastic that emitted some nasty fumes (probably took a few years off my life expectancy there). If the flames had reached the roof and the vents, though, that place would have gone up like a lit match, I assure you.

Adding risk to insult was the fact that in addition to a very flammable station surrounded by oil, petrol and such, we carried propane tanks for camping. Unlike propane for cabins and houses, these were not in fire-proof cabinets but on display next to some oily rags and flammable liquids. Any one of those cantaloupe-sized things could take out a small house if on fire (I had this demonstrated at a fire-department mandated and organized fire safety course). We carried several dozen in store.

Luckily no fires occurred and all I had to do was survive drunks, drug dealers and terrible drivers.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Pumped gas in NJ growing up, all pumps had disconnectors because idiots gonna idiot and people still drove off with it in their cars.

That's one of the big reasons we were told not to accept payment until we took the nozzle out. People would pay for $10, see the pump stopped at $10, and go "welp, done" and drive off.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Some stations in NJ will let you pump your own diesel, which I guess is legal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

The disconnector is normally where the hose meets the handle and is supposed to be the weakest spot in the chain (because if it's where the hose meets the pump body, you still have to deal with all the fuel in the hose leaking out which is more than enough to change your plans for the day if it hits something hot). The top of those siphon-style fillers is supposed to be the very strongest point, for exactly that sort of situation (and also there's supposed to be overspeed/underpressure protection on the pump for that matter, it shouldn't piss fuel like that even if you do pull it).

Most pumps now (at least in the UK and Europe) use a retractable reel inside the pump, and it cuts off when the reel moves and at the end of it's travel. I've never understood why so many places stick with the old-fashioned siphon-style system because it's a lot harder to handle and inherently less safe in these sorts of circumstances.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

I've got a working at a gas station story that isn't an OSHA story but is still hosed(although that job was OSHA as gently caress, go check the tank levels with no gloves etc). One day I'm working the register, the owner is loving about doing whatever and his wife is working the little food stand outside the station. She hears meowing in the waste oil bin (the station was also a mechanics, it's not like a vat but anything contaminated with oil goes in) there were kittens in there, some rear end in a top hat had dumped kittens into waste motor oil. The owner was like "meh" but his wife put her foot down and took them to a shelter that was a whole ten minutes away and I went back to the register. I would have walked away from that job with the cats right then if she hadn't batted first.

^What he said about US pumps is correct

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
What is it with oily rags? I mean those things are always around.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

wjs5 posted:

What is it with oily rags? I mean those things are always around.

where I worked they just tossed rags when they got really gross but other things like filters and absorbent mats and junk went in that bin too. gently caress all knows what else went in there, probably just a measure of plausible deniability that poo poo wasn't being put in a storm drain or the garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I kind of want to go back to Oregon on my motorcycle and just stare at the guy at the gas station, back and forth between the pump handle and the gas hole next to my groin, and see what happens

e: huh, what do you know, they changed the law

quote:

On June 11, 2001, Oregon motorcyclists won the right to pump their own gas. Governor John Kitzhaber signed House Bill 3885 into law, which gives motorcyclists the choice of fueling their own bikes. Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states which prohibit "Self-Serve" gas pumps, and now motorcycles will be the only class of vehicle allowed to actually dispense fuel into their own tanks in Oregon, effective January 1, 2002.

The law recognizes that the special fueling requirements of various bikes made the rider the expert at fuel dispensing. This bill also removes a liability for gas station owners who permitted the common sense practice of allowing bikers to fuel their own.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 20, 2016