Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Doesn't cost too much so I would get it if I were you. "Free wifi everywhere" is definitely misleading as while it would be possible to do if you were on a tight budget, would be kind of a pain to look for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nervana posted:

Doesn't cost too much so I would get it if I were you. "Free wifi everywhere" is definitely misleading as while it would be possible to do if you were on a tight budget, would be kind of a pain to look for one.

I mean, there's a saying in Korean: "There's dogshit everywhere until you need it" so I guess it just depends how plugged in you need to be 24/7, but literally every coffeeshop, mcdonalds, etc. has free wifi so...

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nervana posted:

Yeah the "free wifi" thing has been a dying trend as more and more businesses gate their poo poo. I'm seeing more of those KT/SK/U+ hotspots that require having an existing account to use it. Also most chain coffee shops now will keep the wifi on the receipt instead of on display.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

There's a new express bus app that is nice.

What is the app's name?

Milksteak
Dec 1, 2002

DontAskKant posted:

There's a new express bus app that is nice.

why are you tracking korean bus schedules

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Bugblatter posted:

What is the app's name?

Express bus in Korean and then something else. 고속버스 blah blah

Was using it to get to makgeolli breweries my last couple weeks.

Edit: [공식] 고속버스모바일

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 7, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hey this app sucks a lot less than the website. Strange I've never seen anyone using it before.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
It only works for certain routes. Basically if it doesn't include Seoul it gets confused.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxsmart posted:

It only works for certain routes. Basically if it doesn't include Seoul it gets confused.

I'd be confused too. You want to go somewhere not Seoul???

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Gildiss posted:

I'd be confused too. You want to go somewhere not Seoul???

how else can you hunt deathclaws or meet those Mutant girls from Daegu (because they eat apples theyre immune to cyanide probably)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Went to the apple festival last year in 문경 and was severely disappointed in the absolute lack of apple based food. Thought I would see some ~traditional~ apple butter, cider, jelly, sauces, etc. It was just a bunch of raw apples. Wtf

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Maxsmart posted:

It doesn't include the terminals that aren't also on the webs-site, but otherwise seems fine?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Gildiss posted:

Went to the apple festival last year in 문경 and was severely disappointed in the absolute lack of apple based food. Thought I would see some ~traditional~ apple butter, cider, jelly, sauces, etc. It was just a bunch of raw apples. Wtf

There was an amazing korea times article last week about apples in korea that involved Jesuits and burning a kids face with acid. Korea loves apples.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This was a pretty much verbatim convo my students and I had in class last week.

Them - "Teacher do you play PC games?"
Me - "Yeah, I love games."
Them - "Teacher, do you play Overwatch?"
Me - "Yep, I love that game."
Them - "Teacher you're too old to play Overwatch. You're noob."
Me - "Nuh uh :smith:"

I am constantly chuckling at the lack of filter on things they'll say out loud to someone.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 10, 2016

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Unfunny Poster posted:

I am constantly chuckling at the lack of filter on things they'll say out loud to someone.

yeah, that'll wear off real loving quick when you realize adults do it too

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

ladron posted:

yeah, that'll wear off real loving quick when you realize adults do it too
Koreans are nothing if not blunt with one another very often, and very often in very immature ways - a lot of it having to do with status and so on. Everything seems to be a pissing contest. That was my experience in Gangwon, anyway. I saw it less in Seoul, at least in English conversations in places of business.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

This was a pretty much verbatim convo my students and I had in class last week.

Them - "Teacher do you play PC games?"
Me - "Yeah, I love games."
Them - "Teacher, do you play Overwatch?"
Me - "Yep, I love that game."
Me - "Nuh uh :smith:"

How old are your students? Overwatch is not for elementary school kids. Notify police.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

How old are your students? Overwatch is not for elementary school kids. Notify police.

yeah totally do this

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

you playing on KR? theres a whole kakao chat for english speakers who play OW.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

Mostly elementary and middle school aged.

AmbientParadox posted:

you playing on KR? theres a whole kakao chat for english speakers who play OW.

I dont yet but might. I imagine the ping to the US servers is bad. I do know I need my ARC card to get a cell plan to then get kakao.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 10, 2016

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The US servers are playable, but unless you are queuing with people in the US there's no reason to not just play on KR.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

It's time for the no effort Thanksgooning post 2k16!

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 26th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going super simpler, with down home catered cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Most of the standards will be catered from on base leaving the cooks time to make special sides. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 10, 2016

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

TreFitty posted:

Koreans are nothing if not blunt with one another very often, and very often in very immature ways - a lot of it having to do with status and so on. Everything seems to be a pissing contest. That was my experience in Gangwon, anyway. I saw it less in Seoul, at least in English conversations in places of business.

In Seoul they just use their cars in place of conversation.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

astr0man posted:

The US servers are playable, but unless you are queuing with people in the US there's no reason to not just play on KR.

Yeah all my friends still play on the US but its nbd. I still play Hearthstone and World of Warships because you can't transfer your unlocks etc. on my laptop on the US servers and the ping isn't awful but its definitely noticeable.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 11, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone ever hike Seoraksan during the Fall Colors thing that happens? I'm going this Saturday with some co-workers and it looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

Anyone ever hike Seoraksan during the Fall Colors thing that happens? I'm going this Saturday with some co-workers and it looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

Yes. It's busy at the lower levels, less so when you get higher. But also very pretty. Eat all the pajeon and drink all the makgeolli.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeoh posted:

Yes. It's busy at the lower levels, less so when you get higher. But also very pretty. Eat all the pajeon and drink all the makgeolli.

I don't think we'll be bringing any of that. I was planning on hitting up a Kimbab place on my way home from work Friday and throwing it into my bad when I go in on Saturday.

Edit - Unless you mean I can get that there, then yeah sure I'll probably gorge on that after hiking all day.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Stop drinking makolli it is gross.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

E_P posted:

jokes like that are why you were the funniest in chat

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

poly and open-minded posted:

jokes like that are why you were the funniest in chat

I don't know why but I keep forgetting that most of you goons are in a kakao clique or whatever.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Every one is in some kind of clique though. Heck this is the biggest clique, you gotta pay 10 bucks to chat with internet strangers

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why is makigolli gross. I dont get it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

E_P posted:

don't cut yourself on that edge bro

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlgXOM2N5fo

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Best ways to continue learning Korean after moving back to the US? I found a good course in SF that I'll take starting in January. Any other good resources?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

dantheman650 posted:

Best ways to continue learning Korean after moving back to the US? I found a good course in SF that I'll take starting in January. Any other good resources?

if you're in SF, just go to one of the million Korean churches and find someone to practice with

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anyone from California have any troubles with their oversees voting?

I had two identical voting packets come in, a few weeks a part from each other, for some reason. Yesterday was the only day I would have time to drop it off at the embassy, and I figured I'd just fill it out while I was there to drop it off.
Well it turns out both of my packets are missing the "official ballot card" and "ballot secrecy sleeve" that say they should be included.

I asked the embassy and they just gave me a write in candidate form. That's all fine and dandy, but there's a lot of California propositions I wanted to vote on.
The voting office in CA is closed for the weekend and I doubt they'd be able to get me another packet before the deadline.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Wtf is this? Keep that poo poo to the koreaboo threads.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Plz limit kpop posts in this thread to Sistar dance practice vids. For all other kpop related media, there is a link to the appropriate thread in this thread's OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

don't cut yourself on that edge bro

At least Max and OB can go with a meal. How can you drink expired rice milk with some choice cuts of 먹살? You cannot because it tastes bad and it gives you a stomachache and only a nerd would drink it.