Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

Sometimes yeah

If I do actually laugh out loud it's usually a single Edna Krabapplesque "HA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
literally lmao over here

please help me find my butt

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The weapon wheel in DOOM is for console players because of the limited buttons of controllers. If you're using a M+K you don't ever have to use it.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

boy are my arms tired posted:

literally lmao over here

literally lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

credburn posted:

Also, I'm playing with a proper mouse and keyboard, not the NES Advantage or whateverthefuck incarnation of that homophobic racist Linkin Park kids use with their 30 FPS games.

...okay?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

credburn posted:

Hey, all you old-school Doom and Quake players, I have a question about Doom...um, the new Doom. Not called "The New Doom" but just "Doom" for some stupid reason. That's strike 1, new Doom! :argh:

I've never been into multiplayer games because I'm a misanthropic agoraphobic human hating fire bombing loner. So this question is specifically about the single player. Also, I'm playing with a proper mouse and keyboard, not the NES Advantage or whateverthefuck incarnation of that homophobic racist Linkin Park kids use with their 30 FPS games.

I want to pick up Doom, but I'm not entirely sold on it. I haven't actually seen any videos of it since a little bit before its release, and I wasn't really liking what I was seeing. What I saw was some frantic, wonderful running and gunning, jumping and splattering and blowing away demons and it looked like a proper update to the Doom classic, a Doom for the new generation. But then I saw that switching between weapons brought up a weird UI and it brought the game into slow motion. Well, this offends me. Doom didn't slow down for nothing. Leaping behind cover and swapping your weapon and then leaping back was part of the chaotic fun. I know it was pretty simple back then; you didn't have to reload your gun or anything. But I don't LIKE the idea of time slowing down to swap out my weapon. So I am wondering, 1) can this be disabled and 2) if it can't be disabled, do you find this hurts the gameplay, especially coming at this from the thirst for Doom-like nostalgic ultra-violence?

My next question pertains to finishing moves. I think I saw a Youtube video with a guy playing a beta of it (or something) and he said that doing finishing moves makes you invulnerable during the animation, and he went on to say that that becomes a rather necessary gameplay element, with so much going on one needs a brief break of random invulnerability. This offends me. I've been playing some other games wherein performing finishing moves makes you invulnerable, and I use this to my advantage. If it's part of the game, I'm going to use it, but I sure don't like it. I think it pulls me out of the immersion. Not the finishing moves -- that's fine -- but let me be at risk doing it. So I am wondering, 1) Does it still make you invulnerable, or was that an early build feature, 2) are there multiple finishing moves for various monsters? I don't want to see the same finishing move 100 times, and 3) do you have to initiate the finishing move, or does it just happen mid-combat?

Oh, and final question: How is health handled? Is it like classic FPS games where you have to monitor your health and go get medikits and such, or is it like pussy boo-hoo modern FPS games where you just squat behind a table and wait for your health to come back you loving pussy wimp?

I didn't read your rant but you mentioned DOOM and DOOM owns ergo get DO4M.

literally lmao over here

*Points to ur head*

I kid, I kid. I couldn't help myself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked Do4m a hell of a lot, but I did end up resenting the glory kills and usually only used them if I was clearing a challenge or really needed the health.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

He's trying real hard.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
He's saying controllers are for subhumans.

*nods*

He's right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mordja posted:

I liked Do4m a hell of a lot, but I did end up resenting the glory kills and usually only used them if I was clearing a challenge or really needed the health.

I find the rune that makes them faster makes them a little easier to bear after hours and hours of gameplay.

The very initial footage we saw of the game had them happen sooooo sllooooowly, I can't imagine how unfun that build would've been to play.

For me Doom 4's big flaw is that the extremely long stages with mandatory arenas that you have to clear to proceed make replaying stages to find all the secrets pretty unappealing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

To me a bigger problem was cutting off parts of the level sometimes so you couldn't come back to search for secrets. Also some of the challenges weren't really fun like finishing a particular type of enemy using a particular move. Other than that I had much fun with the game. I'd say that my first playthrough would have been better if I just ignored collecting anything and doing any challenges, having those in mind broke the gameflow for me and were mudding the enjoyment a bit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

To me a bigger problem was cutting off parts of the level sometimes so you couldn't come back to search for secrets.
To be fair, I think that only happened in two levels, but I agree that it shouldn't happen in any.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Get Doom also get Shadow Warrior 2.

Shadow Warrior 2 is the game of the month in my opinion. Very funny dialog and really good gameplay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 is the game of the month in my opinion. Very funny dialog and really good gameplay.

Same, surprisingly fun. The co-op and diablo loot really adds a ton for me over SW1, although I can understand why some people prefer SW1.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone played the Metro games/are they good (Metro Redux is on sale on PS4 for £9.50 which seems like a good deal)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Also Murdered Soul Suspect is a game I've seen on sale at least 800 times, is that any good? It sounds like Ghost Trick

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Help Im Alive posted:

Also Murdered Soul Suspect is a game I've seen on sale at least 800 times, is that any good? It sounds like Ghost Trick

its ok at best, its short and doesn't really make much of the idea of a ghost detective, either for gameplay or story

also the only "threat" involves a minigame where you hop from bush to bush, except its ghost bushes and its boring

like, i'd pay 5 bucks for it but not much more

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Help Im Alive posted:

Has anyone played the Metro games/are they good (Metro Redux is on sale on PS4 for £9.50 which seems like a good deal)
Both Metro games are really good and the redux version of the first one is especially nice because they replaced the original combat system with the superior one from the sequel. Valve would have to work really hard to make a better Half Life 3 than Metro: Last Light.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I have to add though that I can imagine some parts of Last Light being difficult if you're not really used to playing FPSes with a controller. What I have in mind are the spiderbug sections.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's nothing like Ghost Trick. It's super boring.

The only gameplay it has should have been removed because it's terrible.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I might, if the stars align, get a new job by Friday, and be able to take some time off before the new job starts, in which case I am going to convince my brother to buy Civ 6 so that I can play online games with him for like 8 hours at a time. Pray to great Rosalina to make the power stars grant me the new job, gamers.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

It is a great game but the dialog is awful lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I might, if the stars align, get a new job by Friday, and be able to take some time off before the new job starts, in which case I am going to convince my brother to buy Civ 6 so that I can play online games with him for like 8 hours at a time. Pray to great Rosalina to make the power stars grant me the new job, gamers.

Fingers crossed! :)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

It's nothing like Ghost Trick. It's super boring.

The only gameplay it has should have been removed because it's terrible.

its ok at best, its short and doesn't really make much of the idea of a ghost detective, either for gameplay or story

also the only "threat" involves a minigame where you hop from bush to bush, except its ghost bushes and its boring

like, i'd pay 5 bucks for it but not much more

Both Metro games are really good and the redux version of the first one is especially nice because they replaced the original combat system with the superior one from the sequel. Valve would have to work really hard to make a better Half Life 3 than Metro: Last Light.

Thanks, I guess I'll pass on Mudered Soul Suspect and pick up Metro Redux before the sale ends. I might also buy Resident Evil 0 because it's been a long time since I played that one

I'm still busy with Dragon Quest Builders and Rhythm Paradise Megamix is finally out in Europe this Friday. Also I still need to play the Spirit of Justice DLC case. And I haven't bought Paper Mario or XCOM 2 yet. There's too many video games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rhythm Heaven Megamix is sick so enjoy. It's got a butt load of songs

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anybody tried out Atlas Reactor?

P good game. I'd say it's my game of the month.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Does the PSVR have a theater mode, where one can wear the headset and play non-VR games on a large screen? I've got a decent TV but if I'm interested in knowing if I could play something like Battlefield 1 on the equivalent of an AMC projection screen from my couch.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Does the PSVR have a theater mode, where one can wear the headset and play non-VR games on a large screen? I've got a decent TV but if I'm interested in knowing if I could play something like Battlefield 1 on the equivalent of an AMC projection screen from my couch.

Yes, I believe so, though I don't know how it compares to the same type of modes on other headsets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yes it does, and in fact you can even plug other consoles and things into the HDMI input on the PSVR unit and use them in theater mode!! :aaa:

You also get to pick between 3 different sized screens. It works pretty well. If you had to let somebody else use the TV or something you could get by, like WiiU playing on the gamepad. But in general for 2D content its probably gonna be more comfortable to watch a normal screen for long term playing. VR's best when you're in proper VR.

But it does definitely work and looks pretty dang good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

credburn posted:

Hey, all you old-school Doom and Quake players, I have a question about Doom...um, the new Doom. Not called "The New Doom" but just "Doom" for some stupid reason. That's strike 1, new Doom! :argh:

I've never been into multiplayer games because I'm a misanthropic agoraphobic human hating fire bombing loner. So this question is specifically about the single player. Also, I'm playing with a proper mouse and keyboard, not the NES Advantage or whateverthefuck incarnation of that homophobic racist Linkin Park kids use with their 30 FPS games.

I want to pick up Doom, but I'm not entirely sold on it. I haven't actually seen any videos of it since a little bit before its release, and I wasn't really liking what I was seeing. What I saw was some frantic, wonderful running and gunning, jumping and splattering and blowing away demons and it looked like a proper update to the Doom classic, a Doom for the new generation. But then I saw that switching between weapons brought up a weird UI and it brought the game into slow motion. Well, this offends me. Doom didn't slow down for nothing. Leaping behind cover and swapping your weapon and then leaping back was part of the chaotic fun. I know it was pretty simple back then; you didn't have to reload your gun or anything. But I don't LIKE the idea of time slowing down to swap out my weapon. So I am wondering, 1) can this be disabled and 2) if it can't be disabled, do you find this hurts the gameplay, especially coming at this from the thirst for Doom-like nostalgic ultra-violence?

My next question pertains to finishing moves. I think I saw a Youtube video with a guy playing a beta of it (or something) and he said that doing finishing moves makes you invulnerable during the animation, and he went on to say that that becomes a rather necessary gameplay element, with so much going on one needs a brief break of random invulnerability. This offends me. I've been playing some other games wherein performing finishing moves makes you invulnerable, and I use this to my advantage. If it's part of the game, I'm going to use it, but I sure don't like it. I think it pulls me out of the immersion. Not the finishing moves -- that's fine -- but let me be at risk doing it. So I am wondering, 1) Does it still make you invulnerable, or was that an early build feature, 2) are there multiple finishing moves for various monsters? I don't want to see the same finishing move 100 times, and 3) do you have to initiate the finishing move, or does it just happen mid-combat?

Oh, and final question: How is health handled? Is it like classic FPS games where you have to monitor your health and go get medikits and such, or is it like pussy boo-hoo modern FPS games where you just squat behind a table and wait for your health to come back you loving pussy wimp?

Go back to gbs

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Help Im Alive posted:

They're really good. I'm biased though. :v:

I have to add though that I can imagine some parts of Last Light being difficult if you're not really used to playing FPSes with a controller. What I have in mind are the spiderbug sections.

It's not that bad, honestly; my first time through LL I played with a controller since I was playing from my couch and I don't remember any section being particularly hard, even the spiderbug ones.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm a little late to the convo but the best video games writing is Ace Attorney, only a master can come up with that many jokes about step ladders.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I :love: Yakuza 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFZ4U_HJIo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm a little late to the convo but the best video games writing

I'm sorry but the correct answer is "The Witcher", every year, forever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Getting references is extremely stressful and somehow I forget this every time!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Getting references is extremely stressful and somehow I forget this every time!

Feel free to list me, your friend and associate Looper

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The new doom is actually called Shin Doom in Japan. They take that kind of stuff seriously there, unlike the Creed listening fools in the west.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looper posted:

Feel free to list me, your friend and associate Looper

Done. You'll receive a PM from my new boss shortly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The new doom is actually called Shin Doom in Japan. They take that kind of stuff seriously there, unlike the Creed listening fools in the west.

Shin Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

It doesn't really matter how good the writing is if the story you're trying to tell isn't good. The story is basically "Joel and Ellie go from A to B" with very little else going on in the overarching story.

That's a really disingenuous way of phrasing the story and a really bad way of looking at writing.

The story of The Last of Us is about Joel and Ellie's personal growth and development. The post-apocalyptic-zombie-cordycept setting is nothing more than an excuse for providing a thematically appropriate background for the game and that development. It was never about the zombies in the same way that very few zombie films are about the zombies. They are there to provide a setting. If you only look at stories to see the literal events (or god forbid to be 'surprised' ) you're never going to encounter a good story. Certainly not in games and especially not outside of games.

• Locked thread