Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Just get an iPhone 7 which looks to be cheaper per month compared to the v20 and then flip it for a Pixel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

bronin posted:

Got an email saying that my order is on hold because my card was not accepted. Had to use my wife's credit card because google wouldn't accept mine. Gotta call my bank what was up with that.
Bank fuckery or Google fuckery? Can't wait to find out.

Did you have to use 3d-secure? If not, you just put through a big Card Not Present transaction coded as high value electronics. Puts it high up the suspicious scale to begin with. If they ran the transaction at the small hours of the morning, even more so.
Same thing happened for the last few iPhone releases.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Pixel has an estimated ship date of November 24. Guess we'll see if I can hold out that long or end up cancelling the order and getting an Axon7...

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Kerbtree posted:

Did you have to use 3d-secure? If not, you just put through a big Card Not Present transaction coded as high value electronics. Puts it high up the suspicious scale to begin with. If they ran the transaction at the small hours of the morning, even more so.
Same thing happened for the last few iPhone releases.

Didn't have to use any additional security stuff. Funny thing is it went through without a hitch with my wife's credit card.
Important part is it's processing now :dance:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

How long until Trillian resurfaces to group all other chat products together again?
http://meetfranz.com/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's awesome to get your mother and mother-in-law successfully hooked on using Hangouts for everything, only for them to get confused about it not working for SMS anymore. I fear they'll never trust software again

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

I fear they'll never trust software again

Sounds like you taught them well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Wait, what the hell is this? I added a Facebook account, but it just asked for my name, no other credentials. I would say this seems like a joke application, but it's been mentioned by Lifehacker, Wired, Make Use Of, etc.

Edit: nevermind, I just didn't explore enough (and it's not terribly intuitive).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
In another case of Google being Google, a device with an unlocked bootloader (but otherwise unmodified) will no longer pass Safetynet checks.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/mZAQzjtREKg

This should be interesting to watch!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Really, that's fine. Unless you want to do a dirty flash of a system image (and that usually causes more problems than it fixes), there's no reason to run around with the bootloader unlocked all the time. Unlock it when you need to and relock when done.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Really, that's fine. Unless you want to do a dirty flash of a system image (and that usually causes more problems than it fixes), there's no reason to run around with the bootloader unlocked all the time. Unlock it when you need to and relock when done.

My user data :qq:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

In another case of Google being Google, a device with an unlocked bootloader (but otherwise unmodified) will no longer pass Safetynet checks.

How dare google not want people running hacked insecure operating systems to handle sensitive credit card and financial transactions. The nerve!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How dare google not want people running hacked insecure operating systems to handle sensitive credit card and financial transactions. The nerve!

Or just wanting to flash a completely stock image provided by google?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Skarsnik posted:

Or just wanting to flash a completely stock image provided by google?

You can still do that, just re-lock when you are done.

Flashing OTAs don't require an unlocked bootloader and if you are flashing a full system image, you pretty much need to wipe anyways.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I literally just used Android Pay on my stock but unlocked Nexus 6, no trouble at all. SafetyNet helper shows CTS profile match: false though.

Edit: Pokémon Go is fine too.

Rusty! fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 19, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nimper posted:

It sucks but that was announced a while ago. It's the right decision.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nimper posted:

This is the correct thing to do.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nimper posted:

Well that's stupid

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

It sucks but that was announced a while ago. It's the right decision.

I don't disagree; it just comes as a surprise as now I have to re-lock and set up this phone again if I want to use Android Pay or play pokemen.

Really, I doubt I would have ever taken advantage of having the unlocked bootloader but it was nice to have the option if necessary.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

Verizon seems to be throwing their full support behind it too which is good for me. For example, the native Android visual voicemail appears to be working just fine from what some people were posting on Reddit. I'm expecting wifi calling to show up eventually too.

Soooo...does this mean it native VVM should work on the 5x/6p? Or is that another special snowflake feature for the Pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't really know yet.

Verizon has always been weird with their visual voice mail. They relied the phone manufacturers to make the app. I don't have my Nexus 5x line setup with voicemail at all at this point so I don't know how it acts. I know it didn't work in the past, but I haven't tried since 7.0

I uninstalled the Moto voicemail app from MXP and called myself and left a voicemail to see if the system would handle it natively. An interesting thing happened, I got the same sort of prompt you get with Allo when you get a message without having the app installed. The notification gave me a choice to either listen to the voicemail or gave me a link to install the moto voicemail app from the store.

I know they discontinued the paid "premium" tier which allowed higher message storage back in July. It seems like removing that feature (which required the app to support upgrading to premium) might have been the first step to standardizing the visual voice mail.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nimper posted:

What's stopping a rooted device from just intercepting whatever safetynet is doing and making it reply that the device hasn't been tampered with? Is this already a thing or has no one bothered making something like this yet?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tamba posted:

What's stopping a rooted device from just intercepting whatever safetynet is doing and making it reply that the device hasn't been tampered with? Is this already a thing or has no one bothered making something like this yet?

I'm sure XDA has their best people on it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tamba posted:

What's stopping a rooted device from just intercepting whatever safetynet is doing and making it reply that the device hasn't been tampered with and stealing personal data and sending it off to the NSA? Is this already a thing or has no one bothered making something like this yet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What's stopping a rooted device from just intercepting whatever safetynet is doing and making it reply that the device hasn't been tampered with and stealing personal data and sending it off to the NSA? Is this already a thing or has no one bothered making something like this yet?
They generally go to China or Russia, but I suppose the NSA could be doing this, as well.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

They generally go to China or Russia, but I suppose the NSA could be doing this, as well.

Probably not, the NSA would just ask Google.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Pixel XL 128 arrives tomorrow according to FedEx.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moey posted:

Did you order from Verizon or the Google store? (guessing Verizon since it's FedEx)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Moey posted:

What was your date on the order? I ordered the day after the launch, and it says: Pending October 26 – 28, 2016. Is that date the ship date or estimated arrival?

Also where is it shipping from?

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

bull3964 posted:

Did you order from Verizon or the Google store? (guessing Verizon since it's FedEx)

For the record, my Nexus 6P came via Fedex too. Could be Google Store.

My Pixel XL 128 (Google Store) changed from "Pending" to "Processing" today.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

Google provide an endpoint to validate SafetyNet responses are genuine. So the app asks for the SafetyNet details via Google Play Services, sends the response to its own server and then has the server validate with Google that these details actually came from SafetyNet. Root doesn't help.

Edit: Since shipping chat is so exciting, I am also expecting my Pixel XL tomorrow (from Google Store UK).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 19, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Google store only uses FedEx. In my area at least. I know quite well because most of my FedEx packages get stolen because they are so incredibly lazy with shipping.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What was your date on the order? I ordered the day after the launch, and it says: Pending October 26 – 28, 2016. Is that date the ship date or estimated arrival?

Also where is it shipping from?

bull3964 posted:

It was ordered through Verizon (due to my work scenario). It was ordered last week, picked up by FedEx in Memphis this morning.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Google provide an endpoint to validate SafetyNet responses are genuine. So the app asks for the SafetyNet details via Google Play Services, sends the response to its own server and then has the server validate with Google that these details actually came from SafetyNet.

From a security point of view, especially considering financial data, you have to expect 100% end to end security with no unknown points. The bootloader being unlocked opens the phone up to unknown variables that Google would be fooling to just go "eh whatever credit card data is fine". I'm also betting the decision was not Googles, but was instead from the credit card or pay processors.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ilkhan posted:

Its the complete lack of documentation or whatever that fucks everything up. Especially if retention is *that* poor.

There used to be a dedicated internals documentation team; I was on it. Wildly overstretched, of course.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

From a security point of view, especially considering financial data, you have to expect 100% end to end security with no unknown points. The bootloader being unlocked opens the phone up to unknown variables that Google would be fooling to just go "eh whatever credit card data is fine". I'm also betting the decision was not Googles, but was instead from the credit card or pay processors.
Sorry I quoted the wrong post since they were similar, I was replying to the other guy.

As someone with a bootloader unlocked 6P I totally approve of Google making this change. Even as a developer I no longer have any need for an unlocked bootloader. The only thing left that I needed it for was flashing preview builds and Google sorted that with the Android Beta Program.

I won't be unlocking my Pixel bootloader tomorrow. The last time I had a device with a locked bootloader was my HTC Desire which was my first ever Android device (and even that that lasted about a month before I discovered XDA/MoDaCo/etc.)

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 19, 2016

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What the heck? I ordered within minutes of it being available and mine says Nov 8-10. Maybe because I bought the 128GB XL? Maybe because I also ordered a Home? Scroogled again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

Lucky. 32GB for both models and 128GB seem to be shipping in Canada, but there are no 128GB XL models to be seen :negative:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Quadrapellegiance posted:

the LG V20, thoughts? I'm hoping it has an unlocked bootloader and root is easy to get.

Getting a nexus phone/pixel is out - I'm poor and use the ATT Next program currently - there aren't many good options.

So I'm hoping the V20 is good?

Google does 0% financing I think. If you qualify for Next, you'll probably qualify for Googles thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

Don't really know yet.

Verizon has always been weird with their visual voice mail. They relied the phone manufacturers to make the app. I don't have my Nexus 5x line setup with voicemail at all at this point so I don't know how it acts. I know it didn't work in the past, but I haven't tried since 7.0

I uninstalled the Moto voicemail app from MXP and called myself and left a voicemail to see if the system would handle it natively. An interesting thing happened, I got the same sort of prompt you get with Allo when you get a message without having the app installed. The notification gave me a choice to either listen to the voicemail or gave me a link to install the moto voicemail app from the store.

I know they discontinued the paid "premium" tier which allowed higher message storage back in July. It seems like removing that feature (which required the app to support upgrading to premium) might have been the first step to standardizing the visual voice mail.

I'm pretty sure verizon visual voicemail is still unavailable for for nexus devices. It annoys me.