Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Ignite Memories posted:

I know this is not helpful feedback, but for some reason when my eyes scanned past the thumbnail my brain identified it as a photo of doritos. I'm sorry if this ruins your devilfish.

The devilfish? Friend, you have ruined my army-wide colour scheme. On the plus side, I didn't have a name for my tau faction yet. Something Doritos based maybe?

Edit: T'aako Ran'Tch Ko'Lishons from the far flung D'Rito system?

Nichol fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

amazing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nichol posted:

The devilfish? Friend, you have ruined my army-wide colour scheme. On the plus side, I didn't have a name for my tau faction yet. Something Doritos based maybe?

Edit: T'aako Ran'Tch Ko'Lishons from the far flung D'Rito system?

Sounds good and it's much better than the lame super-serious backgrounds people typically make for their 40k stuff. You're in good company, friend. I've been doing 80s style tropical skittles for my sci-fi ships recently. I probably would have some tau done in this style too if I were painting Tau right now.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted a unit of Swamp Shamblers for my WMH Minions:

I really wish I could get better pictures because I think they look really dope in person.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chill la Chill posted:

Sounds good and it's much better than the lame super-serious backgrounds people typically make for their 40k stuff. You're in good company, friend. I've been doing 80s style tropical skittles for my sci-fi ships recently. I probably would have some tau done in this style too if I were painting Tau right now.

Those are awesome

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Fyrbrand posted:

I painted a unit of Swamp Shamblers for my WMH Minions:

I really wish I could get better pictures because I think they look really dope in person.

Your photos of them are dope too, don't worry.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

My Winter themed Wood Elf army for AoS has finally gotten its first unit completed. This was the first time I've painted this many models at the same time and I still have five more soaking in soap for a scrubbing and repaint.

Also apologies for lovely tablet picture. Turns out the battery on my proper camera had lost its charge completely.

But painting those last five comes later, now I want to paint something a lot more fun. Mostly because I'm incredibly bored of painting some of the dullest filler models ever.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Having mastered the art of "actually mess with settings instead of just placement and position" i've managed to wrangle a half-decent daylight pic of my barrow warden:

Finished drybrushing, most of the highlights, only thing I might go back to would be the sword, but besides that and the base (doing after I finish his rust monster) he's pretty much ready for a satin and then matte seal.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Attestant posted:

Your photos of them are dope too, don't worry.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've been working on my Imperial Knight for over a month now, during which time it's eaten up a lot of my painting space, I've learned how much I hate painting yellow, and I've had a few crises where I considered scrapping the model altogether. I'm still working on it, but today after I added the checks and dryfitted the thing, I'm finally coming around to liking it. I have to ask though, does anyone know how to get the big checks that usually appear on Knight shoulderpads? I've got checker transfers and stencils but none big enough for the shoulderpads that you usually see on Knights.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hot drat, there's that tasty orange-on-yellow I love so dearly. That thing's a pretty similar scheme to my MAWboss

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SRM posted:

I've been working on my Imperial Knight for over a month now, during which time it's eaten up a lot of my painting space, I've learned how much I hate painting yellow, and I've had a few crises where I considered scrapping the model altogether. I'm still working on it, but today after I added the checks and dryfitted the thing, I'm finally coming around to liking it. I have to ask though, does anyone know how to get the big checks that usually appear on Knight shoulderpads? I've got checker transfers and stencils but none big enough for the shoulderpads that you usually see on Knights.

Looking f'ing great.

Any detail/freehand to go on the upper carapace/mantle thing?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

At that size masking with tape and an airbrush

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeast posted:

Looking f'ing great.

Any detail/freehand to go on the upper carapace/mantle thing?

The upper carapace is just yellow, there's enough junk up there that I don't want to work around all the various bits and bobs on it. The shoulderpads are gonna get some more attention though.

Skarsnik posted:

At that size masking with tape and an airbrush
I was hoping I wouldn't have to measure out checks and cut them out of masking tape but I think that's gonna be the case.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm painting my Deathwatch mans following the guide on Warhammer TV and he suggests painting over the black primer with another black so that you can use the non-spray black to clean up mistakes without a different finish on the layer. I didn't do this and now I'm not liking my small patches of shinier black where I've had to tidy up.

My question is, if I hit the finished mini with a gloss and then matt varnish will it even out these different patches of black or am I SOL for this mini?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

I was hoping I wouldn't have to measure out checks and cut them out of masking tape but I think that's gonna be the case.

The relevant bit from imperial armour 1

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ineptmule posted:

I'm painting my Deathwatch mans following the guide on Warhammer TV and he suggests painting over the black primer with another black so that you can use the non-spray black to clean up mistakes without a different finish on the layer. I didn't do this and now I'm not liking my small patches of shinier black where I've had to tidy up.

My question is, if I hit the finished mini with a gloss and then matt varnish will it even out these different patches of black or am I SOL for this mini?

It will help. If that doesn't work you can try doing a thined Null Oil filter over eveything, which will give it all a satiny finish.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm following Duncan's guide on Blood Warriors as a test mini for painting my Gorechosen dudes. This is my first time doing this really detailed edge highlighting. This guy isn't done (skin, wraps, boots, leather, and bone parts are not done), but can I get some constructive feedback for where I am? I think it's not terrible, so I need some criticism to focus me on getting better. I see in the photo a few things I need to clean up, like the arrow tip on his helm and his jaws.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Skarsnik posted:

The relevant bit from imperial armour 1

Golly, that's neat. Thanks for sharing!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not painting related, but its a pretty solid deal so I figured I'd share:

Star Saga by Mantic Games has two days left, and the core pledge is currently $100 for 83 miniatures (some look quite large), 40 pieces of sci-fi scenery, some generic space station floor tiles, and a full fledged 1-4 player game.

I'm currently on the fence since [for me] its a big price for something I wont see until october '17. Can anyone with experience with Mantic describe the quality of their minis, their games, what other games they're in scale with, etc?

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
More Glade Guardians and hopefully a better picture for you guys!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Not painting related, but its a pretty solid deal so I figured I'd share:

Star Saga by Mantic Games has two days left, and the core pledge is currently $100 for 83 miniatures (some look quite large), 40 pieces of sci-fi scenery, some generic space station floor tiles, and a full fledged 1-4 player game.

I'm currently on the fence since [for me] its a big price for something I wont see until october '17. Can anyone with experience with Mantic describe the quality of their minis, their games, what other games they're in scale with, etc?

I backed the fantasy game, Dungeon Saga, and am happy with my pledge. Mantic are firmly a 28mm scale type company, and from what I can tell these figures can be used in their Deadzone and warpath games (much in the same way the Dungeon Saga minis could be used for Kings of War). You can google pictures of the figures from the Dungeon Saga kickstarter, but they are on par with their Mars Attacks! line, and the scenery was very well done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

rjderouin posted:

More Glade Guardians and hopefully a better picture for you guys!

I'm digging these guys, and I think you mentioned you were going for speed with them, but it would be nice if you picked out the soulstones on them. It would add a nice spot color and break up the big areas of just one color.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I have no mini painting experience (or painting experience in general) and have purchased Mansions of Madness and am getting Imperial Assault, so I have a lot of minis and want to paint them but I'm worried about messing up. I was wondering if it is common at all for experienced mini painters to give lessons or classes or anything like that. I'm in a big city so I figure if it exists, it would exist in this area.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I have no mini painting experience (or painting experience in general) and have purchased Mansions of Madness and am getting Imperial Assault, so I have a lot of minis and want to paint them but I'm worried about messing up. I was wondering if it is common at all for experienced mini painters to give lessons or classes or anything like that. I'm in a big city so I figure if it exists, it would exist in this area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUsfAtyEM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WPJ1r8ztLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBuTwFSqbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG9LGTs2kPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twWddr1YTsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAtgBLy5VEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je0zpTdwyjQ

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
You can go to games workshop stores and they often have lil workshops for painting etc.

Also as far as imp assault, check out Sorastro's vids on YouTube. They show the basics and go through most of the characters in the box (I think all of them from the main box now)

Get rid of mould lines (file or scrape away)
Prime mini
Thin paints and don't load the brush

And have fun

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Before you do any painting, pick up some spray primer; Rustoleum Grey primer is cheap and available at michaels, AC, Home Depot, pretty much any construction or art store.

So long as you prime the minis well you can be as bad as you want with painting and still have the option to strip them for a do-over later on.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Thanks for the tips. I've been watching the Sorastro vids and they are really well done and he makes it seem so accessible but I worry that I'll screw it up regardless. I'll check out Games Workshop stuff and maybe get some cheapo models to gently caress around with before I dive into the ones I actually care to look nice.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

It is fun to paint with a buddy or really any company though. I'd go check out a could of local game shops and see what goes on there. Some have structured classes on occasion, some have painting/modeling nights, some have helpful people who can give you pointers. I really liked painting/modeling night. I paint more stuff with company but I know some people hate packing up their kit and carting it to the shop or just plain prefer painting alone.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I'm sort of in the same boat with Blood Rage, Fury of Dracula and Inis sitting in my cupboard unpainted. I want to paint them but I have zero experience, and it seems kind of stupid to mess around with minis that are expensive to replace if I gently caress them up.

Last time I asked this question here people recommended Bones as cheap practice minis but that would omit the priming step, which is apparently something even experienced people have bad luck with from time to time.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I heard some GW stores were a little weird about you painting non-GW stuff or using non-GW paints. Is this a ymmv thing?

They used to sometimes offer a how to paint class where you got a brush and a fig and they had paints you could use. Do they still do this?

I worked at a non-GW store for a while and GW had painting class support. I think you had to register it well in advance so it would show up on their website but they sent you a box of Tactical Marines or Wood Elf Archers or something, a bunch of brushes and maybe paint? I don't remember about the paint.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

theroachman posted:

I'm sort of in the same boat with Blood Rage, Fury of Dracula and Inis sitting in my cupboard unpainted. I want to paint them but I have zero experience, and it seems kind of stupid to mess around with minis that are expensive to replace if I gently caress them up.

Last time I asked this question here people recommended Bones as cheap practice minis but that would omit the priming step, which is apparently something even experienced people have bad luck with from time to time.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Thanks for the tips. I've been watching the Sorastro vids and they are really well done and he makes it seem so accessible but I worry that I'll screw it up regardless. I'll check out Games Workshop stuff and maybe get some cheapo models to gently caress around with before I dive into the ones I actually care to look nice.
Reaper has a starter set with paint, brushes, and a few Bones models.

Army Painter has a paint set with brushes.

Bones are good to learn, or, if you want the full experience, get your hands on some metal figures that have clothing and exposed skin (i.e. not Space Marines in full armor.) With the metal models, you can learn how to prime and paint, with the added bonus of being able to toss the model in paint stripper or thinner once you're done and ready to give it another try.

Skin and armor will allow you to practice washes; fur, hair, and clothing will allow you to practice drybrushing. Don't worry about screwing anything up, because you have the easy reset button of stripping - after a soak and rinse, you're ready to go again.

Painting can be a very deep and expensive hobby, and you don't want to get overwhelmed early on. Just get a decent paint starter set with the basic colors and brush, a couple of models, and go. Make sure you have good light as well - painting in a poorly lit space is going to end up in failure every time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I heard some GW stores were a little weird about you painting non-GW stuff or using non-GW paints. Is this a ymmv thing?

They used to sometimes offer a how to paint class where you got a brush and a fig and they had paints you could use. Do they still do this?

I worked at a non-GW store for a while and GW had painting class support. I think you had to register it well in advance so it would show up on their website but they sent you a box of Tactical Marines or Wood Elf Archers or something, a bunch of brushes and maybe paint? I don't remember about the paint.

Yes it's very YMMV, my local GW manager was very chill and said use whatever works for you, but a guy that came in and assisted from time to time was a total "CITADEL TOOLS ONLY" bastard, which the actual manager hated because it didn't only cause unnecessary drama and extra work but drove away the non-neckbeardy regulars.

The main guy left a while back and only met the replacement once, the day before he was leaving himself.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Skelly's pet Rust Monster, pretty satisfied with how it came out, just need to touch up the metallic green and maybe another dark wash, but besides that I'm happy. After those touch ups he's ready for sealing, a greenstuff collar and leash, and a base.

Also speaking of Reaper's how to paint kit, I just got one in the mail (22 dollars for 3 minis, 2 brushes, a carrying/sorting case for reaper paints, and 11 paints is a pretty great deal). Apparently it doesn't have the cool warlord looking guy in the pictures, but instead a brutal looking giant knight with horns that curve under the head. I don't mind too much, since he's quite bigger and cool looking in his own right. The skeleton archer is so thin and flimsy that I need to boil 'n bend him just so he can stand, but hes a skeleton archer, whaddaya expect.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hello, I'm channeling rejection into finishing tiny plastic things that have been sitting on my craft table for three months.

Well, that's my story.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Star Man posted:

Hello, I'm channeling rejection into finishing tiny plastic things that have been sitting on my craft table for three months.

Well, that's my story.

Thin your paints.

With tears.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Thin your paints.

With tears.

Salt from my tears makes for a great weathering effect.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Star Man posted:

Well, that's my story.

There's no photos so I assume the channelling isn't going well?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yeast posted:

There's no photos so I assume the channelling isn't going well?

I took a nap while waiting for modeling paste to dry and now I need to shower and get ready for bed and stuff so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
FYI fantization.com has a 25% off everything sale between now and the end of the month. I mention it because along with having minis from several European manufacturers that are less common in the states, they also carry the Scale 75 paint line. I used the sale as an excuse to finally pick up their metallic packs and give them a try.