Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

World Rally is very bad. World Rallycross is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm actually going to confess that for whatever reason I find rallycross boring as poo poo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aside from the start I tend to find Rallycross races boring as well

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Someone has their difficulty settings turned way too low.

julian assflange posted:

Aside from the start I tend to find Rallycross races boring as well
Aside from the start, they generally are.

But when they do have something happen after the start, it's always amazingly good.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 17, 2016

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Rallycross would be better if it had thoughtfulness and consistency on joker lanes. A lot of the time they just feel like they laid down a cone in that extra bit of asphalt over there and went "hey look, a joker lane!!!" There needs to more to it other than guys at the back take it early, guys up front take it late.

For example, it could be a short, fast bypass around a complex slow section that guarantees speed will be carried into a passing zone so a large gap can be made up more quickly. Or you could make the joker much more hazardous than the normal route, such as burying it in sand or flooding it with water/mud. You get one chance to get it right, or there goes your race.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

WindyMan posted:

Meanwhile, in Rallycross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXJwiWsvNE

My right eyeball nearly jumped out of my skull watching this for the first time.

WRC did it first :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWwzJ4mWUA

But I agree, modern rallying is dull.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Alain Post posted:

I'm actually going to confess that for whatever reason I find rallycross boring as poo poo

I want to like rallycross so much and I just cannot make myself care even a little bit

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Just caught up with WEC; finally some redemption for Toyota. Great race too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The V8 Supercars have thrown out Triple 8/Red Bull's protest over Whincup's penalty from the Bathurst 1000

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/10/19/whincups-bathurst-appeal-dismissed/

Of course Triple 8 have taken the protest to the FIA. Bunch of sooks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
WRC died when McRae left Subaru

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WRC died when the French became involved with it and moved it away from having production AWD cars to cars specifically made for WRC

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You Am I posted:

WRC died when the French became involved with it and moved it away from having production AWD cars to cars specifically made for WRC

The French ruin everything

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And the Corsica rally

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As much as I like the guys like McRae and Sainz, WRC should have always been a car-focused series rather than a star-driver focused series. People remember the Impreza, Lancer Evo, and the Celica GT-Four. Who the hell is going to remember the Hyundai i20 in ten years time?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody even remembers the i20 now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
WRC died when they went from idiosyncratic events of endurance with character to easily digestible homogeneous events designed to placate the Television Gods.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pablo Bluth posted:

WRC died when they went from idiosyncratic events of endurance with character to easily digestible homogeneous events designed to placate the Television Gods.

Yup. It's stupid that WEC can sell a long endurance format fairly successfully but WRC just bitches and moans about how the stages need to be 30 seconds long and the team gets cranky if they're not in bed by 8pm.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nobody even remembers the i20 now.

Really the emphasis on attracting more manufacturers with the World Rally Car is what did it. Completely removed the homogolation special element of the sport for what, the SEAT Cordoba? the Hyundai Accent?

(The Skoda Octavia is still cool though)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also the WRC coverage used to be good, but now seems to be bad. at least the coverage i have access to.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

Really the emphasis on attracting more manufacturers with the World Rally Car is what did it. Completely removed the homogolation special element of the sport for what, the SEAT Cordoba? the Hyundai Accent?

(The Skoda Octavia is still cool though)

yet another example of homologation being Cool and Good

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

also the WRC coverage used to be good, but now seems to be bad. at least the coverage i have access to.

what coverage?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wicka posted:

what coverage?

yeah, also that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
WRC actually has a streaming service but you get like, four stages live and it's usually a lovely super-special at that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yup. It's stupid that WEC can sell a long endurance format fairly successfully but WRC just bitches and moans about how the stages need to be 30 seconds long and the team gets cranky if they're not in bed by 8pm.

Maaaaaybe. I'm the world's biggest WEC booster but I'd be surprised if they have more than 50k subscribers and their US TV ratings are worse than Indycar iirc.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
They play WRC on TV in the US? News to me. They did a decent show on Speed back in the day.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drgitlin posted:

Maaaaaybe. I'm the world's biggest WEC booster but I'd be surprised if they have more than 50k subscribers and their US TV ratings are worse than Indycar iirc.

WEC has the built in handicap of being on Fox Sports, who seemingly have a vendetta against endurance racing given what I read about their WEC and IMSA coverage.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

njsykora posted:

WEC has the built in handicap of being on Fox Sports, who seemingly have a vendetta against endurance racing given what I read about their WEC and IMSA coverage.

Its real bad (TM)

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I stream it from FSGO and I don't think it's too bad. Video quality is typically excellent. They didn't bother with commercials during the last round at Fuji either.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

George Zimmer posted:

I stream it from FSGO and I don't think it's too bad. Video quality is typically excellent. They didn't bother with commercials during the last round at Fuji either.

For the portions of the race when it wasn't also being broadcast on FS1/FS2, it was pretty cool since it was just a straight feed from the official WEC feed. However, when it was also being broadcast on FS1/FS2, they scaled the pic to add their little crawler thing at the bottom and cut to commercials way too often.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Watching the goldcoast v8 supercars now, Tander did a massive PIT maneuver on Coultard down the straight at about 250km/hr

E: Someones already uploaded a screen capture, doesn't show how many times Tander hit the rear before the hit that turned him, he banged into him at least 3 times beforehand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHt-1m4b1ds

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 22, 2016

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
While I'm happy with the penalty Tander got (drive through penalty, 10 grid spots for tomorrow), I do kind of agree with Skaife's analysis that Coulthard did have a portion of the blame - although nowhere near 50/50 like Skaife was saying, more like 90/10.

edit: Helicopter shot is the most damning of Tander, and because of the curve of the track it's the only vision that doesn't give an optical illusion of Coulthard squeezing him.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 22, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Skaife used to run the HRT team as well as race for them, so his analysis of that incident should be ignored.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I think Tander & HRT have read the mood of pit lane overnight and are much more contrite today (and no appeal was lodged).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

A condensed 2 hour broadcast of bathurst is about to start on CBS Sports if you got nothing to do until F1 comes on

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So remember the MacNeil's who got pissy that the Porsche was BoP'd down and went to Pirelli World Challenge, well they're coming back with their own team... kind of. Rumor says it'll be the WeatherTech team which is most likely going to partner with the Riley team which one of the drivers Marc Miller said he'll race what he sells which is Mercedes.

Now with Alex Job, it's all up in the air.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And there's fire for the smoke -- apparently another Riley customer, Ben Keating with the Viper through this year, will also be running a Mercedes AMG-GT next year out of Riley's stable. So a two-team GTD operation, and possibly more. Not bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Double post, but Audi has confirmed they're leaving WEC and LMP1.

Link: https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/press-releases/audi-with-new-motorsport-strategy-formula-e-instead-of-wec-6980

quote:

Audi is realigning its motorsport strategy. The premium brand will terminate its FIA WEC commitment, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans, at the end of the 2016 season. Instead Audi is taking up a factory-backed commitment in the all-electric Formula E racing series.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
15 years (at least) is a pretty good run for a manufacturer in any series

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

someone tell this moron http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/why-im-so-tired-of-the-annual-rumor-that-audi-is-quitti-1787821470

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Don't be sad it's over, be happy it happened. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/10/audis-legendary-le-mans-program-to-end-in-2016/

Actually, it's OK to be sad.

• Locked thread