Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any IEMs with Apple Lightning connector out or to be released soon, that I should be aware of? Nothing with noise cancellation or anything, just some earbuds, some better inline DAC an optional plus.

I've an iPhone 7 inbound over the next week, and I'd like some isolating IEMs that connect natively and not without a connector. I've been fond of the Sony MDR range of IEMs, because I like generally their more pronounced basses, and they work well with the sort of electronic music I listen to. Something similar would be nice, ideally from Sony themselves. No Bluetooth, I'd prefer no additional degradation over the compression already applied to the audio files (also, I'll probably forget to charge them all the time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I tried the QC25's at a store a couple months ago and I couldn't believe how bad they sounded. I don't know if maybe they were using FM radio as the source or something but they sounded like headphones you would pay $20 for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I decided to get a pair of barely used 770BN's from ebay, so we'll see how those work out. If the result is "poorly" I may have to suck up for something more expensive.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hit up the Bose Outlet store after watching Shin Godzilla (Worth watching if you are a fan of the classics).

The Sony's are going back to Crutchfield. After testing out the demo, they fit much better and I can deal with the lesser audio performance judging by the demo songs on the store iPod. Technically, I've always been since I've had the QC15's for years already. Heading home with the QC35 now in tow.

Sony just made it too durable. I ended up with a headache because of the pressure this morning while listening to some random tracks.

There's something to be said about QuietComfort.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I impulse bought the DT770 80ohm and while I'm loving it, did I miss out on not getting the 250ohm?

I have an amp/DAC so I wouldn't have a problem running them. If there's no big difference I'm fine with keeping these, but if I'm missing out, should I return them and get the 250ohm model?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Could you recommend me some earbuds that have at least a degree of isolation (I need to do coding practice in a space with noisy people in it), with about 50$ for max budget? Also, a set of full headphones with some isolation (for online gaming) for 100$ at most (I have understood that you should buy headphones and mic separate, and and that a headset is not good value-for-money)?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Carbo Tenore are pretty great IEMs for a low price. Cable is kind of flimsy but if you're just at your desk it shouldn't be an issue. I think they're like $35-40 in the US.

And yes you are correct, don't buy a gaming headset.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
You can also get headphones that are marginally worse than the Boses at noise cancelling, but infinitely better at music and build quality.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I ended up buying the Beoplay H7s because I loved the cocoa brown color they just released and like the idea of the gestures on the ear cups. The reviews of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's said that the sound quality wasn't a significant step forward from the Momentum 1.0's that I already own so it didn't represent as much of an upgrade.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

evobatman posted:

You can also get headphones that are marginally worse than the Boses at noise cancelling, but infinitely better at music and build quality.

Which ones would these be? What models should I be looking for? And thanks for the hint about the plugs.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
ATH-ANC9, PSB M4U 2, ATH-MSR7NC, Sennheiser PXC450, just to begin with. There are probably others out there too, including the options from Sony.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I primarily use my HD598s for my pc (mostly gaming). I'd like to add a mic.

2 questions:
1. Is a modmic still the best option? Anything else I should consider?

2. I'm thinking of picking up the magni/modi stack later this year. Can you hook the mic up to the stack or does it have to connect directly to the pc (which I imagine would be weird since you'd have 2 cables going to different places).

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lowness 72 posted:

2 questions:

2. I'm thinking of picking up the magni/modi stack later this year. Can you hook the mic up to the stack or does it have to connect directly to the pc (which I imagine would be weird since you'd have 2 cables going to different places).

everyone says the boompro is better, i'm not quite sure how you go about adding one though http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

drat NIGGA posted:

I impulse bought the DT770 80ohm and while I'm loving it, did I miss out on not getting the 250ohm?

No, you're not really missing anything.

prom candy posted:

Carbo Tenore are pretty great IEMs for a low price. Cable is kind of flimsy but if you're just at your desk it shouldn't be an issue. I think they're like $35-40 in the US.

If you're willing to wait for the Slow Boat From China, there's a shitload of amazing IEMS available via aliexpress. Senfer 4 in 1, KZ ZS3, anything Vsonic are worth looking into.

Lowness 72 posted:

Modmic is a hassle, use this:
https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Universal-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-150CM-Black/dp/B01IRCRCL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476891077&sr=8-1

Lowness 72 posted:

Yep, it'll be a tad weird, but the thing I linked comes with a splitter. You'll need a headphone extension cable as well.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have a take on KAM HP-1s? Could you use a BoomPro with them?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Lowness 72 posted:

2 questions:

emdash posted:

everyone says the boompro is better, i'm not quite sure how you go about adding one though http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

On sound the quality difference between a Modmic and a Boompro is marginal at best, meaning the Boompro wins out due to price, but since the HD598s have a lovely 2.5mm jack with a twist lock because gently caress you. You'd end up having to buy a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter and maybe break the twist lock to make the Boompro work.

If you don't absolutely need it to be a headset the Samson Go Mic is a good cheap condenser option in that price range even if it does look funny.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Unhappy Meal posted:

On sound the quality difference between a Modmic and a Boompro is marginal at best, meaning the Boompro wins out due to price, but since the HD598s have a lovely 2.5mm jack with a twist lock because gently caress you. You'd end up having to buy a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter and maybe break the twist lock to make the Boompro work.

If you don't absolutely need it to be a headset the Samson Go Mic is a good cheap condenser option in that price range even if it does look funny.

The go mic is great if you don't mind it picking up every background noise there is. The modmic unidirectional ended up being way better for me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just use this Zalman, works fine https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_457ilpguwk_b

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Any good bluetooth earbuds in the <40 USD range you guys would recommend? Most of the lists I see cite things like the Jaybird X2s being worth their ~$80 tag. I'd be using them for commuting (I hate lugging my full sized cans in my bag) and workouts.

EDIT: I'm not against the idea of springing for the Jaybirds, but I just don't see myself this pair often enough to warrant it.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 20, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Unhappy Meal posted:

You don't have to do any of that, I linked a 2.5mm twist lock compatible boompro clone two posts above yours. It's even a bit cheaper than a boompro, and works just as well.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Just got my massdrop k7xx and I think the hd650s are on another level. Anyone interested if I decide to sell them?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I am absolutely loving the DT770's.

My 598's are still great, but I needed a pair of closed-ears and needed bass. The 770's are clear sounding, have bass that I like, and the soundstage is pretty great. The mids aren't as great I guess, but it's not bad at all.

Compared to the 598s, the 770's feel like there's more depth to music (bass probably), and is "funner" sounding.

I much prefer the build of the 770. It feels really solid but not heavy. And holy crap, these pads are so nice.

These are also way more unforgiving of low/bad quality mp3s

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Lowness 72 posted:

2 questions:

1. Get the BoomPro knockoff on Amazon that was posted as it's just cleaner with one cable.

2. You'd have to use the splitter and connect one to the Schiit stack, and the other to your sound card's mic in. One problem here though is you might get a ground loop and get stupid buzzing due to the 2 different connections. This is actually the situation where a ModMic would work best since it's completely separate, but again, 2 cables is pretty messy. I have both, but I mostly go with a BoomPro now and just have it all go through a Xonar U3 for gaming.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
In-ear sports headphones, with hooks on the ears ala beats wireless except not awful, wired and around $50 to $60

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Budget - $150
Source - PC (dedicated sound card -> front panel)
Isolation Requirements - If possible. I'm mainly looking for something that will remain comfortable with prolonged use.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear/closed back. Detachable cable & ability to use a BoomPro with is required.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Looking for a more neutral/warm sound. I'll be using them for a variety of things, mostly gaming/discord chat.
Past Headphones
Monoprice 108323 Premium Hi-Fi DJ - My main phones as of late. Sound is reasonable with them but they tend to make my ears sweaty after prolonged use and the headband cushioning leaves something to be desired.
Noontec Hammo S - Light and compact, but the smaller cups on them pressed on the edge of my ears after using them for a while.
Philips SHP9500 - The most comfortable headphones I've ever tried on, but too much sound leakage from them being open-back made BoomPro use a no-go. :(
Preferred Music - Gaming/voice chat, symphonic, classic rock

iastudent fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 24, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Powerbeats 3 are available to order.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Budget - $150-200 CAD
Source - PC onboard sound to mini amp / laptop at work
Isolation Requirements - Not really - I'm planning on using them at home and the office, but not loud enough to annoy anyone.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear open back. Boom mic optional but nice, I'm open to using one of the adapters.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Mostly gaming/discord chat, music at work.
Preferred Music - Gaming/voice chat, pop/rock, ambient.

Past Headphones:
Some real old Sennheisers from 15 years ago or so. They died on my most recent trip, prompting this journey of discovery. Over ear, comfortable, decent sound quality.
Current headset - a hand me down set of Razers. They're fine.

I've been looking at SteelSeries Siberia 200, the Sennheiser HD 559 with the mic attachment, and the Audio Technica ATH-PG1 or ATH-M50x. I'm open to suggestions though.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'd wait until Amazon has a sale on the HD598's again, which could be pretty soon. They're open headphones, but doesn't get too too loud so they're OK for office use I guess. They usually go for about $110 CAD. I don't know much about the new HD 500 series that Sennheiser put out, but the older generation is still great.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Constellation I posted:

I'd wait until Amazon has a sale on the HD598's again, which could be pretty soon. They're open headphones, but doesn't get too too loud so they're OK for office use I guess. They usually go for about $110 CAD. I don't know much about the new HD 500 series that Sennheiser put out, but the older generation is still great.

Man if I can get them for $110 I'll be damned happy. Amazon has them for $220 right now. I'll keep an eye out.

The microphone attachment linked up page isn't available in Canada, is there another microphone attachment you would recommend? I'd like to be able to take them out so the ModMic isn't really an option.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I know people open up the 598s and take out some plastic piece so that regular 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters can fit in it, then they use a V-Moda BoomPro. I doubt it's something you'd want to do though. That same mic on Amazon is actually available on eBay with free international shipping from China, so if you don't mind waiting a month, I'd go that route.

Yeah, the 598s almost always goes on sale on Amazon Canada during random times of the year. I'd set up a price alert on ca.camelcamelcamel or something.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Constellation I posted:

I know people open up the 598s and take out some plastic piece so that regular 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters can fit in it, then they use a V-Moda BoomPro. I doubt it's something you'd want to do though. That same mic on Amazon is actually available on eBay with free international shipping from China, so if you don't mind waiting a month, I'd go that route.

Yeah, the 598s almost always goes on sale on Amazon Canada during random times of the year. I'd set up a price alert on ca.camelcamelcamel or something.

Done and done. Thank you for the advice.

I ended up purchasing a Blue Snowball on sale for $70 CAD, which will work well because the wife wanted to do some voice recording as well. Now to wait for a sale on my cans.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are Beats still pretty bad or are the powerbeats3 worth a look?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're probably only notable in using the W1 stuff in iPhones 7.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

priznat posted:

Are Beats still pretty bad or are the powerbeats3 worth a look?

I ordered them but they won't be in for a week still. Looks like stores don't have them until around the 11th.

The only major complaint about the old ones was quality control on some of them. That and nerds loved to stroke themselves over how you could get Jaybirds for $40 less (which are pieces of poo poo, for the record).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
After a few weeks with the Comply tips I switched back to the silicone tips, I just can't get a comfortable fit or good isolation with foam.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I ordered them but they won't be in for a week still. Looks like stores don't have them until around the 11th.

The only major complaint about the old ones was quality control on some of them. That and nerds loved to stroke themselves over how you could get Jaybirds for $40 less (which are pieces of poo poo, for the record).

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts when you get them! The smaller beatsx are also of interest to me, just as another option.

Yeah I am pretty skeptical of the jaybirds too. I haven't tried them but after the nuforce ones I tried (terrible) any BT earbuds are very suspect. The Beats ones too of course, there don't seem to be any sure bets yet.

I am getting an iphone 7 so a set of decent wireless iems would be great.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The old Powerbeats seem to be hit or miss. If they work they work great, but there were a bunch of early failures from sweat or rain. I'm blind buying the 3's hoping the problem was resolved. Apple is usually good about fixing things like that with the new product.

I had a set of Jaybirds and they died in a month and Jaybird were complete shitters about it because it wasn't sold by "Amazon LLC" (but was bought and shipped fulfilled through Amazon). All the reviews about them dying in three months and Jaybird telling you to gently caress off aren't lying. There's a reason they've got three stars.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 27, 2016

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I'm gonna be that dick that doesn't read the thread, and asks the same question you get 300 times a page.

I need some headphones. Suitable for gaming, but not 'gaming headphones'. Must have a microphone.
Ideally good bass response.

Budget - <$200
Source - Straight into computer line in (possibly into an m-audio firewire 410 audio interface, but probably not)
Isolation Requirements - Probably not
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM preferably, but over ear is acceptable.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bass heavy
Preferred Music - I've been listening to a lot of Motown, you've probably never heard of them :smug:

TheMaskedUgly fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 27, 2016

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Don't limit yourself to headphones with a mic, just run a separate mic. I love my ATH-AD700s for gaming. Very comfortable, nice wide sound stage. Bit light on bass but that's a bonus to me since bassy gaming can get annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If sound leak is a problem, Audio Technica ATH-M40x with this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-U...s=ketdirect+mic and these pads: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...OkAAOSw65FXtskD

If it isn't, Sennheiser HD598, with the same mic thing as above.