Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I never really cared for Kingdom Hearts, but if TWEWY is the sort of game those guys can do when they aren't chained to the Undying Franchise, now I'm kind of annoyed. Like, it's been eleven years since KH II, go make something new.

How many TWEWYs could have been made in the span of the development of KH III

How many, Nomura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

what is The World Ends With You and is it good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's the best game square ever made

yes, even better then [your favorite square game]

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My favorite square game is Picross 3D haha

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ayy lmao

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

LODGE NORTH posted:

My favorite square game is Picross 3D haha

Those are cubes not squares, genius.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I would rank SE's ouvre as follows:

1. Final Fantasy 9
2. TWEWY
3. SMRPG

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The S&M demo is ridiculous.
- Come tomorrow!
- Something good will be here in 4 days!
- Something good will be here in 17 days!
- Something good will be here in 23 days!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Looper posted:

I would rank SE's ouvre as follows:

1. Final Fantasy 9
2. TWEWY
3. SMRPG

I loving loved ff9 and smrpg and I consider SMRPG my favorite rpg of all time so I'll pick the game up. Is the DS version the best one?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Super stylish and unique JRPG that a sequel for was teased that never happened

Also I mean stylish like literally it takes place in the fashion capital of Japan

Edit: Play it on DS if you can, iOS version keeps breaking and also takes out some features but adds others

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 19, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I loving loved ff9 and smrpg and I consider SMRPG my favorite rpg of all time so I'll pick the game up. Is the DS version the best one?

Yes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TWEWY is the game where you grind fast food to work up enough courage to wear a dress.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

TWEWY is the game where you grind fast food to work up enough courage to wear a dress.
Lol i forgot how progressive some of that stuff was

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I remember a guy who said he hated TWEWY because he had to change clothes every time he entered a new area to match the trends and that was annoying

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Lol i forgot how progressive some of that stuff was

Even purely in gameplay terms there are some brilliant ideas in that game that if it didn't pioneer refined perfectly.

You have complete control what level you're at for a random fight, whether or not you have a fight in the first place and how difficult your fights are. That paired with neat ideas like bonuses for taking a day off from playing and the really rhythmical battle system make for a phenomenal game.

And the partner system as a whole has to be one of the most natural integrations of gameplay with the story in any game I've ever played. You may not necessarily be sympathetic to Neku's overall character but in the same way he does you'll have trouble adjusting to the partners as they come in and integrating their unique playstyles into the already established rhythm you have with Neku.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is TWEWY one of those games that destroys touch screens or am I thinking of something else?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is TWEWY one of those games that destroys touch screens or am I thinking of something else?

Nah, nothing is anywhere near as intense as, say, Elite Beat Agents's spinners, it's mostly simple touch motions.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I recall liking TWEWY but finding the combat kinda eh at best and that being the general vibe others thought at the time.

Nowadays it's heralded as the second coming and I kinda wonder if I should play it again.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I have no interest in replaying TWEWY personally. I'm not a fan of the battle system. I played it start to finish, it was alright, but eh.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's pretty harsh on your touchscreen if you don't have a screen protector, yeah. You're fine if you do have one, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Terper posted:

I remember a guy who said he hated TWEWY because he had to change clothes every time he entered a new area to match the trends and that was annoying

It's actually really accurate in parts of Tokyo though, getting off at a different station feels like a whole new city really frequently. I was actually confused when I walked from like, Ginza to Shibuya because in my head they are distinct places

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Terper posted:

If you get into battles, the clothes you wear in those battles will rise in popularity in the area.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Isn't there a puzzle like 103 + 10 and then the game just tells you to go to the shop called 113 in case somehow that was too complex.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

If you get into battles, the clothes you wear in those battles will rise in popularity in the area.

Yes the point of the post was how silly that was

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

The S&M demo is ridiculous.
- Come tomorrow!
- Something good will be here in 4 days!
- Something good will be here in 17 days!
- Something good will be here in 23 days!

I think that is neat. A demo you keep coming back to!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Terper posted:

you gotta wear the trends, don't let them wear you!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terper posted:

Yes the point of the post was how silly that was

You set the trends by being awesome and popular :cool:.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_5EzzOMLs

What are the odds of this being localized

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

mabels big day posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_5EzzOMLs

What are the odds of this being localized

Well Tokyo City Rumble just came out so anything us possible. But then again this series has been stuck in Japan for most of its sequels and spin-offs. Those sprites look super cool though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You set the trends by being awesome and popular :cool:.

No not how silly the game mechanic was but how silly he was for feeling he had to go and change clothes every time he changed area

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

So I tried out the Sun/Moon demo on my regular 3DS. I'd heard that games like Hyrule Warriors and the latest Fire Emblems ran like rear end on 3DSes and really needed a New 3DS to enjoy, so I was concerned that in Sun/Moon there would be a noticeable loading time for wild encounters and trainer battles.

Thankfully this doesn't appear to be the case! Battles and areas load up fine. But sometimes during trainer battles, or elaborate attacks, the game will struggle to keep up with what's on screen and the animation will get a little choppy. And the picture-taking portion was a little choppy too.

So it doesn't really affect gameplay as far as I can see, but I'm still torn on if it's worth getting a New 3DS for a smooth experience.

Please talk me into getting a New 3DS. I want one but it's so expensive I need someone to enable me :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fire emblem is fine on a normal 3ds

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Have you played/have in interest in playing Xenoblade? Or Hyrule Warriors? They're both great games, only playable on the New Nintendo 3DS. Buy one today!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just buy whatever you want who cares

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FAT BATMAN posted:

Please talk me into getting a New 3DS. I want one but it's so expensive I need someone to enable me :(
just do it if you want it, life's too short for ifs and buts. make sure you can pay your bills if you buy one and just buy it because you want it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Please don't buy a New 3DS if it means you won't be able to pay rent or bills.

If you can afford it then feel free to buy one but there's really not a huge benefit over a regular 3DS. Xenoblade, Hyrule warriors, SNES Virtual Console, some performance improvements in Smash 4 and Pokemon S&M, and the super-stable 3D.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

But every Nintendo system variant as a weight loss method.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Rent/bills isn't an issue. It's just that I'd pretty much just be getting it for Pokémon. Most of the graphics-intensive games don't interest me (yet), but I could see myself wanting a future one down the line.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

irlZaphod posted:

SNES Virtual Console

This would have been my tipping point if I hadn't bought one at launch :v:
It's a limited selection, but it's a really good limited selection. Earthbound, Super Punchout, Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Super Metroid, and several others. I'm holding out to see if they put Super Mario RPG on there before I just buy it on Wii U next month to play over Thanksgiving weekend. I'd much rather have these games in a portable format if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Portable Super Metroid owns.