Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Im not the one defending a loving racist you rear end in a top hat

"Maybe minorities are the real racists"

-A Person on the internet

unless you want to argue that Ahmed Best is not in fact a minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

"Maybe minorities are the real racists"

-A Person on the internet

Again where am I ever saying or implying that.

Whats next you gonna defend blackface? Gonna defend Watto?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Don't claim people in here are calling you a minstrel or whatever you said and then when asked about it ignore it cause it never happened the way you presented it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Im not the one defending a loving racist you rear end in a top hat

Firstly minstrel and sambo arent even coded words.

Secondly I use those words because Jar Jar evokes those racist images because jar jar the character IS one of those racist images.

Buddy, I'll swear right here and now to insanely and brutally torture George Lucas to death for being a racist if it will get you to stop mewling for five minutesm

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rear end Catchcum posted:

Don't claim people in here are calling you a minstrel or whatever you said and then when asked about it ignore it cause it never happened the way you presented it.

Is he playing the race card?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why do you refuse to back up your claims?

There's a thing called post history, if you're so loving obsessed with my words, go look them up yourself. I'm not the one citing made up interviews and behind the scenes footage only my uncle from nintendo saw where George and Ahmed conspired to hide old timey racism in their star wars.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
No, they're stating something as fact that never happened and refuses to simply quote their source.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Show your work, as you dumbfucks like to say.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Here's a cool vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNYK5lhAzvg

(Start at 5m0s)

Ahmed Best posted:

A lot of Jar Jar Binks comes from Buster Keaton. George and I would watch a lot of Buster Keaton. [...] A lot of the things that I did, I would do my own version of a Keaton movement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I hate to be the rear end in a top hat who rains on everyone's parade, but doesn't this seem like the kind of thing that could easily get the thread shut down, at least temporarily? Maybe a course correction is needed...

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No, they're stating something as fact that never happened and refuses to simply quote their source.

Why are you so lazy, you fuckface? You can just hit the little question mark under one of his posts and check for yourself.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
*claims to be racially insulted*
"Oh, who said that?"
"I DON'T HAVE TO PROVE ANYTHING CHECK MY POSTS."

You're a baby.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ruddigers claim was lazy. I checked the post history. What they said didn't happen. They're a liar.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Star Wars TPM is racist and you should feel bad for so tenaciously trying to deflect its obvious defamation of several minority and ethnic groups

I narrow my focus to TPM because these things disappear after TPM. Jar Jar changes drastically afterward.

Almost as if the wave of criticisms of antisemitism and racism made Lucas change his poo poo fast

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ruddigers claim was lazy. I checked the post history. What they said didn't happen. They're a liar.

I remember people repeating the claim that broken English is minstrelsy after ruddiger talked about his grandmother. Maybe they didn't read, maybe they share your cowardice, but it definitely happened.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Star Wars TPM is racist and you should feel bad for so tenaciously trying to deflect its obvious defamation of several minority and ethnic groups

Your parents should feel bad for dropping you on the head so many times.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

I remember people repeating the claim that broken English is minstrelsy after ruddiger talked about his grandmother. Maybe they didn't read, maybe they share your cowardice, but it definitely happened.

Post them. I read them. No one called them or their nana that, which is what they claimed.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

*claims to be racially insulted*
"Oh, who said that?"
"I DON'T HAVE TO PROVE ANYTHING CHECK MY POSTS."

You're a baby.

Tezzor said this

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=465501909#post465501909

Tezzor posted:

Lol why is it so hard for you people to admit the obvious

poo poo we even got people saying racist minstrel speak is just the way other people talk.

I have never heard anyone say "yes massuh, meesah is free!" Before. Jesus christ.

After Ruddiger had mentioned his grandmother talks in a similar way. The implication in Tezzor's post ("we even got people" that'd be Ruddiger "just the way other people" that'd be his grandmother) is that she's talking like a minstrel show.

Is that enough for you you pendantic idiot

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There is no such implication.

In fact Ruddiger is trying to pass off minstrel performance as an accent. An accent that, despite whatever Ruddiger says, does not exist in the real world. Such an accent Jar Jar uses was used in minstrel shows and is deragatory

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People evidently don't understand what racism even is. Racism is an ideology. If you are not engaged in ideological critique, you are appropriating antiracism and using its terminology for purposes that have nothing to do with socioeconomic justice.

There is nothing 'problematic' about a person having an accent or speaking a different language. Egalitarianism does mean that people should all talk the same.

To be very clear: you are not engaged in any sort of antiracism. You are writing in terms of multicultural tolerance, declaring Jar Jar 'intolerable' because of his voice. Best's voice is "awful", and it is evidently "awful" because it threatens your narrative of progress away from the 1950s.

The irony here is that this specific fixation on the 1950s, the narrative of the 50's as a 'dark age' before revolutionary spirit of the 60's led us to neoliberalism, the deconstruction of 'Leave It To Beaver' - this is painfully 1990s. This is Clinton-Era stuff. This is 'end of history' stuff. You're at least 20 years out of date.

Your language is the language of identity politics, and (in this context) that means the conflation of 'strong characterization' with literal physical strength and purity. You know the people who can't stop talking about Ellen Ripley as the model minority. You can't have a clumsy character. Minority characters have to be inspirational at all times.

FN's only negative trait is that he has low self-esteem. You know, he's recovering from trauma and he doesn't yet realize how strong he is - how good he is at killing drones. He's got the Ellen Ripley arc. From 1986.
TPM was produced in a racist society and can only reproduce racism.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

In fact Ruddiger is trying to pass off minstrel performance as an accent

Or you could apologize for it. Didn't mommy and daddy teach you to apologize when you gently caress up? Or did they give up on trying to teach their little hellspawn anything about proper behavior?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phi230 posted:

In fact Ruddiger is trying to pass off minstrel performance as an accent

you have yet to demonstrate what Jar Jar and a Minstrel Performance have in common, including the accent

you can't simply take for granted that everyone grants the premise of Jar Jar being a minstrel. demonstrate how.

also probably apologize to ruddiger for calling his grandma's accent a minstrel accent

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Or you could apologize for it. Didn't mommy and daddy teach you to apologize when you gently caress up? Or did they give up on trying to teach their little hellspawn anything about proper behavior?

I apologize for the ambiguous verbiage that you selectively heard but the point of Ruddiger trying to defend minstrel shows by saying that somehow that is a legitimate accent stands.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

you have yet to demonstrate what Jar Jar and a Minstrel Performance have in common, including the accent

you can't simply take for granted that everyone grants the premise of Jar Jar being a minstrel. demonstrate how.

also probably apologize to ruddiger for calling his grandma's accent a minstrel accent

temple posted:

And he had a jive walking and gullah talking buffoon played by and modeled after a black man in his movie.

Stephen from Django is satire. He's outrageous and gets his comeuppance. He even has a moment of humanity. Jar Jar is the comic relief sidekick. He's an alien version of Short round or Data (from the Goonies). Edit: The ethnic sidekick.

The reaction to Jar Jar was well documented. I don't see how people can deny that the criticism existed prior to last night.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

I apologize for the ambiguous verbiage that you selectively heard but the point of Ruddiger trying to defend minstrel shows by saying that somehow that is a legitimate accent stands.

I see they did not.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

I see they did not.

So minstrel accents, which were created and existed solely to berate minorities, are ok and real?

I never said nor implied his grams talked like a minstrel

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger posted:

As far as "meesa" goes, my grandmother still says me instead of I despite speaking English for the past 80+ years, I'll be sure to call her a disgusting racist stereotype the next time I see her.

phi230 posted:

Lol why is it so hard for you people to admit the obvious

poo poo we even got people saying racist minstrel speak is just the way other people talk.

I have never heard anyone say "yes massuh, meesah is free!" Before. Jesus christ.

ruddiger posted:

Again, Jar Jar had no masters and you're arguing with a false equivalency.
Thanks for saying my grandmother speaks like a minstrel tho. That goes up there with "minorities are the real racists" in poo poo that can only be read on the Internet.

He's directly responding to my post and making a direct correlation between broken english and "mistrel speak" while also using a false equivalency to back up his racist claims. gently caress YOU, forums user rear end Catchcum, for trying to make it looks like I was screaming fire when it's clear one side wants to have a serious discussion about racism and the actual messages as presented in the movies, while the other side is "lol nope, george loves the minstrels".

Again, I'm not the one saying people who speak in foreign accents are racists stereotypes. THESE PEOPLE EXIST. It's you idiots that are offended they're being presented in your white-speak only Star Wars.

The way some of you have clutched onto the words "minstrel" and "sambo" is pretty loving disgusting, by the way.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 19, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

So minstrel accents, which were created and existed solely to berate minorities, are ok and real?

Actually, I'm talking about you thinking "you are wrong" is something that should ever be in an apology, you wretched sack of poo poo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Where am I ever offended at accents?

I have always been focused on Jar Jar and Watto. My nematoads point was debunked

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

temple posted:

The reaction to Jar Jar was well documented. I don't see how people can deny that the criticism existed prior to last night.

Just because it existed doesn't mean it's valid. Again, the actor himself has responded really eloquently to the criticism.

That aside, here's a compilation someone made of all of Jar Jar's scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLhO7ZnKHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bebyFYIhIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_ow1HYrts

When is he "jive walking"? It looks like he's just...walking?

Also he's self-describedly "clumsy", which isn't a racial trait I'm aware of, but is otherwise a character not unlike Finn or 3PO, who themselves get into awkward situations. He proves to be a valuable, loyal and insightful companion once the characters see past their own bigotry

Much like one would think audiences would. But apparently nerds have a deep seated hatred of characters who talk with a funny voice

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 19, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Actually, I'm talking about you thinking "you are wrong" is something that should ever be in an apology, you wretched sack of poo poo.

Im a wretched sack of poo poo for thinking a racist caricature is offensive ok buddy

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lucas is more sexist than racist imho.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

In before ruddiger comes in with the "well, actually"

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Im a wretched sack of poo poo for thinking a racist caricature is offensive ok buddy

it's genuinely not cool that you're continuing to do this after ruddiger has time and time again said that his own very real grandmother speaks like this

what the gently caress is wrong with you

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

Just because it existed doesn't mean it's valid. Again, the actor himself has responded really eloquently to the criticism
Ahmed Best is dead. Context matters. Performances don't exist in a vacuum.

It isn't about intent, it is about impact. In other words, Poe's Law.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sassassin posted:

Leia is a strong independent woman who saves the day in Jedi.

Padme runs a whole drat planet.

Mon Mothma knew what's up too.

The Sarlacc Pitt is literally a giant vagina that eats the male aggresors who subjugate women into slavery.

George Lucas, enemy of the White Man. The hero that we need.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Now you're lying. In the vast echoing cavern of your skull, do you have a "Mission Accomplished" banner hanging up? Do you believe yourself to be crusading against racism and thus justified in any evils you may commit?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ruddiger makes me legit vomit.

Anyway, back to STAR WARS, I'm extremely excited for rogue one and the interesting places Garreth will take us. The droid that looks like the medical droid from Esb looks dope as gently caress and I hope they live.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think I side with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on jar jar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

temple posted:

Ahmed Best is dead. Context matters. Performances don't exist in a vacuum.

It isn't about intent, it is about impact. In other words, Poe's Law.

Then we agree even more completely! If you're talking purely about context, then Jar Jar is an even better mirror to hold up against the audience

He's a guy who's fallen on hard times who gets saved by a chance encounter by people who think he's an idiot because he doesn't have a standard way of speaking. They (and by extension the audience) are shamed by Jar Jar when it turns out that he's an emotionally and genuinely intelligent dude who helps them beat the Trade Federation

• Locked thread