Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

The main issue people having with many anti-Clinton folks is that they rarely specify any actual policy they disagree with. It is a fact that Clinton is more left-leaning than the average Democrat. Granted, this is far from ideal and the average Democrat is not very left-leaning at all, but the problem is that people act like Clinton is more right-wing than most Democratic politicians, which is provably false. The impression that Clinton is notably right-wing seems to be entirely based on some vague perception created by the media, rather than reality.

*To be fair, there is a debate to be had here, and I don't like how many people immediately turn "we shouldn't intervene" into "YOU MUST BE PRO-ASSAD". It's no different than someone claiming someone is pro-Saddam for not supporting the sanctions or war in Iraq. It is a fact that regime change does not usually improve things in these situations (and often makes them worse), so the fact that Assad is bad is not a valid argument against non-intervention.

Idk the pro tpp thing should disqualify her from being considered progressive for me.

Simply emulating a bunch of bernie policy after she comes to the late realization that the democratic base has swung very formally to the left should give you pause when considering her to be progressive.

Her husband's legacy is her legacy, anyone who was around back then knows that was not a progressive time in American politics when welfare was being curtailed, prison populations were swelling, American empire was in full expansion and the corporate deregulation was the status quo.

Along with her being an iraq hawk, interventionist in the wrong way (libya).

There is a lot of progressive policy on her ticket now, but none of it will get past Congress so basing your choice on that is a bad idea. (Also lol at the amount of paid maternity leave she is offering, what a loving joke)

American politics goes through polar swings an the progressive options after trump will likely be significantly better.

If anything the US political culture is going to demographically shift permanently to a country made of different ethnic groups with a plurality of whites. Burn the Republicans for good in this new America an let them give trump a try.

If anything he will present an opportunity for the country to curtail the insane erosion of checks and balances that American culture has permitted over the last 60 years.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Source your quotes

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Brainiac Five posted:

Gotta say that while cutting off the house of Saud would feel good, they still have plenty of money to buy Eurofighters and so on with, so they're still gonna be supplying people with arms and propping up brutal dictatorships and inflaming civil wars.

Also it's not like things will go peaceful with the US's involvement. It's far more likely that either Russia or China will move in to fill the influence vacuum.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Also it's not like things will go peaceful with the US's involvement. It's far more likely that either Russia or China will move in to fill the influence vacuum.

I can't foresee a different country cutting them a cheque for more than a billion in military aid but maybe that's just me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rated PG-34 posted:

I can't foresee a different country cutting them a cheque for more than a billion in military aid but maybe that's just me.

It's not like Russia hasn't done it before.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rated PG-34 posted:

I mean, the US doesn't prop up Saudi Arabia for shits and giggles.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

I mean, the US doesn't prop up Saudi Arabia for shits and giggles.

Right, the US wants to secure their oil interest. I just figured other countries wouldn't be able to raise that amount of bling.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

It's not like Russia hasn't done it before.

For the Saudis, no I don't think so, they have largely been the British/American's monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Chessboard

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rated PG-34 posted:

Right, the US wants to secure their oil interest. I just figured other countries wouldn't be able to raise that amount of bling.

Well, heck, a quarter-billion still gets you plenty of guns and ammo to funnel to dickheads worldwide.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Most of y'all should look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04iWYEoW-JQ

Basically a bunch of aaa doc's edited to speak to our reality.

Vote based on sexually charged rhetoric, not on the details of American Empire.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 19, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
-vote for a real progressive

-vote trump, though

-check out this adam curtis documentary it'll blow your unwole sheep minds

Signed, a serious person

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

woke wedding drone posted:

-vote for a real progressive

-vote trump, though

-check out this adam curtis documentary it'll blow your unwole sheep minds

Signed, a serious person

So aside from demonstrating that the rules of D&D don't apply to you, what is your argument? or is signalling that I make you mad all you intend to do?

Sethex fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 19, 2016

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sethex posted:

So aside from demonstrating that the rules of D&D don't apply to you, what is your argument? or is signalling that I make you mad all you intend to do?

Maybe you should present something that is legitimately worth debate and discussion

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

fivegears4reverse posted:

Maybe you should present something that is legitimately worth debate and discussion
No you. Seriously how do you demonstrate something isn't worth debate or discussion without engaging in debate or discussion? If I may merely declare that something isn't worth discussing, what's the point in posting? Got to up that post count?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Please stay out of this thread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sethex posted:

Most of y'all should look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04iWYEoW-JQ

Basically a bunch of aaa doc's edited to speak to our reality.

Vote based on sexually charged rhetoric, not on the details of American Empire.

Check this out!

*posts dead link*

:bravo:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Please stay out of this thread.
No you. You've made three posts, none of which had any substance, in a just forum you would be on probation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

No you. You've made three posts, none of which had any substance, in a just forum you would be on probation.

A classic example of the Just Forums Fallacy

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, heck, a quarter-billion still gets you plenty of guns and ammo to funnel to dickheads worldwide.

Yes, though I would prefer it's not our quarter billion of tax dollars.

It's possible that another state would simply start backing these sort of mercenary states if the US changed its policies. In that event, whatever military actions these mercenary states took on behalf of their backers or through their own behest could be dealt with through internationally led initiatives.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Check this out!

*posts dead link*

:bravo:

Lol

sorry man, my fault a dmca took it down since I posted it; but srsly please demonstrate more how you hate the things I say while simultaneously demonstrating that your moral urges are outside your ability to articulate.

Look up hypernormalisation

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sethex posted:

Lol

sorry man, my fault a dmca took it down since I posted it; but srsly please demonstrate more how you hate the things I say while simultaneously demonstrating that your moral urges are outside your ability to articulate.

It's less hate and more jovial bemusement.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"The joke is on all of you for caring that I'm an idiot" :smugdog:

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://thoughtmaybe.com/hypernormalisation/?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87au-Y0AaKQ

One mirror is likely to stay up for awhile but is getting way above the normal traffic so might not work, an the other is a youtube mirror, works for now.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 19, 2016

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hillary's political alignment; not worth debate or discussion. #D&D2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sethex posted:

Unfounded conspiracy theories about Hillary's political alignment; not worth debate or discussion. #D&D2016

FTFY

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I read the excerpts from the goldman sachs speeches and they imply a pretty right wing economic policy.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

I read the excerpts from the goldman sachs speeches and they imply a pretty right wing economic policy.

There's also her entire political career that implies a pretty right wing economic policy

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sethex posted:

Hillary's political alignment; not worth debate or discussion. #D&D2016

When the discussion is being led by a useful idiot (you) who refuses to actually adress the gaping holes in his positions, with back-up from his forums Libertarian Cheer Squad, no it certainly isn't worthy of anyone else's time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Panzeh posted:

My feeling about Clinton (and most Democrats for that matter, including Obama) is that they will definitely do stuff that helps the country economically, but there's a strict limit in the sense that they'll never do anything that investment banks like Goldman Sachs (and the wealthy in general by proxy) are strongly opposed to. I don't think this is due to any conspiracy; I think it's just because people like Obama and Clinton have spoken with firms like Goldman Sachs and think "these people look and sound professional and intelligent" and build a strong relationship as a result.

This isn't exactly a condemnation; like I said, I think Clinton will be a good president and will help the country in various ways. But I definitely think that she won't do anything that has a significantly negative impact on the investment banks or wealthy Americans in general. This doesn't mean she won't increase taxes on the wealthy; that's possible since a large portion of wealthy are willing to accept some tax increases. It just means there's a strict line that she won't cross (and that line is when the banks and/or wealthy Americans says "no we don't want this").

In general, I think it's accurate to say that both Republicans and Democrats represent the interests of the wealthy, but they represent different subsets of the wealthy. Not all wealthy people have the same opinions, after all. Republicans represent the most greedy and bigoted rich people, while Democrats represent the "best" wealthy Americans (who are generally cool with minorities and don't want people to live in poverty). Despite this, voting Democrat is still important because there is a significant difference between the views of these two subsets of the wealthy, with one maliciously wanting to gently caress the poor and the other wanting to help the poor (as long as it doesn't have a significant negative impact on them).

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

When the discussion is being led by a useful idiot (you) who refuses to actually adress the gaping holes in his positions, with back-up from his forums Libertarian Cheer Squad, no it certainly isn't worthy of anyone else's time.

yeaaaah sorry you're going to have to do better than 'that argument has holes in it'

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

My feeling about Clinton (and most Democrats for that matter, including Obama) is that they will definitely do stuff that helps the country economically, but there's a strict limit in the sense that they'll never do anything that investment banks like Goldman Sachs (and the wealthy in general by proxy) are strongly opposed to. I don't think this is due to any conspiracy; I think it's just because people like Obama and Clinton have spoken with firms like Goldman Sachs and think "these people look and sound professional and intelligent" and build a strong relationship as a result.

This isn't exactly a condemnation; like I said, I think Clinton will be a good president and will help the country in various ways. But I definitely think that she won't do anything that has a significantly negative impact on the investment banks or wealthy Americans in general. This doesn't mean she won't increase taxes on the wealthy; that's possible since a large portion of wealthy are willing to accept some tax increases. It just means there's a strict line that she won't cross (and that line is when the banks and/or wealthy Americans says "no we don't want this").

In general, I think it's accurate to say that both Republicans and Democrats represent the interests of the wealthy, but they represent different subsets of the wealthy. Not all wealthy people have the same opinions, after all. Republicans represent the most greedy and bigoted rich people, while Democrats represent the "best" wealthy Americans (who are generally cool with minorities and don't want people to live in poverty). Despite this, voting Democrat is still important because there is a significant difference between the views of these two subsets of the wealthy, with one maliciously wanting to gently caress the poor and the other wanting to help the poor (as long as it doesn't have a significant negative impact on them).

I agree with pretty much everything.
But change comes with crisis and strain, a deviation from the status quo.

You can choose to do your thing an that's cool but don't expect that path to lead to anything more than a continuation of the system that is essentially terrible.

Democracy was largely meant to be a system to protect the majority from the powerful, now it is just about the continuation of stability? A retention of status quo? That's a bit defeatist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sethex posted:

yeaaaah sorry you're going to have to do better than 'that argument has holes in it'

We actually don't, is the thing.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

We actually don't, is the thing.

Barbed messages without substance is an interesting way to manifest your anxiety.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Sethex posted:

Barbed messages without substance is an interesting way to manifest your anxiety.

I agree, you should go pop a xanax for that.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Clinton just claimed that russia is plotting to destroy here. Clinton lool go vote for her guys, serious amazing progressive choice.

Enjoy your cold war 2.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

Clinton just claimed that russia is plotting to destroy here. Clinton lool go vote for her guys, serious amazing progressive choice.

Enjoy your cold war 2.

There assuredly would be no tensions between the USA and Russian Federation without the Demon KKKillary KKKlinton.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't like this Roosevelt guy who keeps saying Hitler is a bad dude, some "progressive".

Now this Charles Lindbergh fellow, he's got some fresh ideas about world peace.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You know what's left-wing? Spheres of influence. Progressivism would consist of Russia having unquestioned dominion over the government and people of Ukraine, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

You know what's left-wing? Spheres of influence. Progressivism would consist of Russia having unquestioned dominion over the government and people of Ukraine, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia.

Whoa, that's heresy. Only America is allowed that privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

VitalSigns posted:

I don't like this Roosevelt guy who keeps saying Hitler is a bad dude, some "progressive".

Now this Charles Lindbergh fellow, he's got some fresh ideas about world peace.

Like Hitler and the Nazis are going to do anything. Germany was broken by The Great War.

• Locked thread