Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I asked this before but I think I might try converting my tickets to a annual pass when I go to visit this December; can I simply upgrade my tickets to a annual pass or do they not do that?

Yes, you will just need to make sure you do that before you've used the last day of your tickets. I'd do it on the first day so you can get all the discounts. But you just pay the difference between the ticket you bought and whatever the AP costs. No big deal. And this is a good time to do it because you get an extra month because of the 45th anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah im going to do it, especially since we're thinking of moving down to Florida anyways it'd be silly not to get it (sorry braksgirl).

The other question is, do discoutns stack like can you use a AP discount AND a disney card holder discount?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
You can do it at the guest relations counter outside the main gate of any park. I did it on my last trip. You just pay the difference between your ticket and the AP that you want.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah im going to do it, especially since we're thinking of moving down to Florida anyways it'd be silly not to get it (sorry braksgirl).

The other question is, do discoutns stack like can you use a AP discount AND a disney card holder discount?

Nope, discounts do not stack.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Got all of my reservations for my April trip! I like the restaurants that have unique atmosphere since both my wife and I aren't too picky when it comes to food. Excited to try Sanaa and Skipper Canteen, and to return to Boma and Sci-Fi Drive In.

Forgot that Plaza only does walk-ups for dinner now, though. Has anyone checked it out since they made the change and knows how long waits have been? I'm not dead set on eating there but I'd like to try the burgers and desserts!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Since a good chunk of you are huge Disney nerds like me, thought I'd share. This book came out today. I think it's from the people who did the "Poster Art of the Disney Parks" coffee table book.

(Original concept art for MGM Studios)

Lots of awesome stuff in a really nice hardcover book. It covers Disneyland to now all over the world.

I bought it on Amazon ($25) as opposed to MSRP $40
https://www.amazon.com/Maps-Disney-...he+disney+parks

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 19, 2016

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Anyone tried Skipper's Canteen yet? The menu looks interesting.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I haven't been, but heard it's universally great. An underappreciated gem with an adventurous menu.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Tried it in April, theming is great. Food was good, though I had the head on shrimp and wished I got more shrimp. I was confused by the spieling servers, it's done in the vein of Jungle Cruise, and the one I had was really laying it on thick (was expecting just normal servers).

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

poolside toaster posted:

Eaten there a few times, I like the menu, and the theming is really cool.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

That book looks amazing. I have way too many coffee table books to buy. :sigh:

chitoryu12 posted:

The issue with the random checks is that it's a really bad security policy for actually finding anything hidden.

Oh, that makes sense! In my head the alternative was profiling. I've probably been paying too much attention to election politics, haha.

poolside toaster posted:

I was a big fan but my SO thought it was merely fine. I got the whole fried fish, for what it's worth. Your enjoyment of the atmosphere will be directly proportional to how much you enjoy terrible jokes.

If you're definitely going to eat a table service restaurant at MK, Skipper Canteen feels like a pretty great choice.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 19, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah I love terrible jokes, but this lady literally didn't make any sense with hers. I was jealous of my friend's mac and cheese - it was phenomenal. Desserts were great. You got a beeper to tell you when your table was ready so we putzed around for a bit, it was a last minute ADR obviously for us.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'd like to try Skipper's again with the new menu. My friends and I weren't fans of it the last time we went.

And I NEED that map book! NEED IT.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boxman posted:

Oh, that makes sense! In my head the alternative was profiling. I've probably been paying too much attention to election politics, haha.

Profiling is actually good, but only certain types of profiling. Racial and demographic profiling is what most people think of, and those are pretty crappy because you waste a lot of effort searching innocent people. The better way to do it is to profile people based on behavior, like nervousness during the search, moving away from security or trying to sneak past them, or trying to prevent certain parts of their bag or body from being searched clearly.

CSC, the company Universal used to hire for HHN security (and Disney had when they first started metal detectors before using their own Disney security), is awful about demographic profiling. If a young man like me empties his pockets and doesn't set off the metal detector, he'll still often get a full waistband search and pat-down. Meanwhile, older women like my mother will set off the detector and not even get a comprehensive bag check before being allowed through because nobody expects a 50-year-old smiling woman to be hiding any kind of contraband.

Disney somehow manages to make it even more useless, as they select people for extra security with literally no reason other than something like shirt colors or being in the right place at the right time. For every person who gets put through the metal detectors, there's probably a dozen walking right past them. Universal's improvement gives everyone an equal, thorough check.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

poolside toaster posted:

Good stuff we've been there maybe five times I think and never disappointed.

On random checks there was a firefighter from up north recently who thought it was a grand idea to sneak a firearm in the baby bag. He had the clip double ziplocked and went to the trouble of removing the entire contents of the baby wipes burying it at the bottom before covering it again. The firearm he also bagged and put at the bottom of the lunch cooler below the ice packs trying to hide them both. It didn't work, the security guard found the clip first then after finding that he asked where the firearm was as he was holding the cooler about to go through it.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 19, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did have one guard at Dapper Day ask if I could open up my Kodak Brownie to prove I wasn't hiding anything in it. I had to explain to him why opening a camera loaded with film wouldn't be the best idea.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Why on earth would you go to that much trouble to test the security? People are dumb.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Anya posted:

Why on earth would you go to that much trouble to test the security?

Anya posted:

People are dumb.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wife and I have figured out that the easiest way to solve our travel dilemma (AA changed our flight schedule, so we arrive later in the day and too late to hit up a park) is to extend our trip out a day. Anyone do this? How hard is it? Do they kill you on the price of the added night?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Anya posted:

People are dumb.

Oh the stories I hear.. firearms in restroom stalls, in the planters.. the list goes on.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I follow the TSA's Instagram feed and it blows your mind the amount of weapons each day they find.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anya posted:

Yeah I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I follow the TSA's Instagram feed and it blows your mind the amount of weapons each day they find.

Which is impressive since in tests, 95% of fake bombs and weapons made it past their security.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Omne posted:

Wife and I have figured out that the easiest way to solve our travel dilemma (AA changed our flight schedule, so we arrive later in the day and too late to hit up a park) is to extend our trip out a day. Anyone do this? How hard is it? Do they kill you on the price of the added night?

It honestly just depends on room availability. The price is the price.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

I know, right? Safety in the sky for real.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Omne posted:

It won't hurt you on ticket prices since those just get cheaper the more days you buy. Any time we have done it room rate stayed relatively the same, the main worry is availability. I would call soon and try and sort that out.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Three more YesterEars shirts, but IMO the weakest of their offerings so far.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/10/yesterears-collection-returns-to-disney-parks-online-store-from-october-20-27-2016/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah those ones suck.

I saw on WDWMagic about the website redbubble, any of you ever ordered from there?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I've ordered tons of stickers from Redbubble. Took like a solid week before shipping but they were good print quality.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any reccomendations?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I don't like either of those. I kind of wish they would do one with the 20th anniversary because I was there that year.

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

I can always appreciate a clean simple crew neck. So much merchandise/apparel for sports teams, theme parks, wrestling, etc are so overdone that a simple shirt is almost an anomaly.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Holiday party tickets are linked to my MB right?

But then is there also something you get on entry to signify that you get to stay past 7pm?

Wait... id assume they arent on the MB.

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 21, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

But then is there also something you get on entry to signify that you get to stay past 7pm?

Do they show up on the MDE website?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BlueBayou posted:

Your admission will be linked to your MB/card. They put a special wristband on you with the button clasp or sticky material so you can't remove them. They start passing them out around 4 pm and start checking everyone for them at 7.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Do they show up on the MDE website?

Yes

My fear is that I will tap into MK at 4pm and it will take one of my park hoppers instead of just my holiday party ticket.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Yes

My fear is that I will tap into MK at 4pm and it will take one of my park hoppers instead of just my holiday party ticket.

You can ask Guest Relations just to be sure it doesn't (and if it did get it reimbursed). Also you somehow quoted me with someone else's question haha.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

As long as it's after 4 pm and the tickets are linked in your MDE, you'll be fine.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Ok whew

I like to worry about everything ahead of time so I can just relax when I'm there :p

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
So, can you leave the holiday party and come back in?
They sent me hard tickets for Xmas Party and I thought it just went on our bands automatically but I seem to have a huge collection of things to bring. Plus my dad sent me 100$ in Disney cards since it will be my bday trip, with instructions to buy flaming drinks at all the places. 15 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can, but you should probably make the most of a night in MK with really cool characters that aren't normally out, as much premium candy (or cocoa and cookies) as you can physically carry, and short queues. :v: