Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

steinrokkan posted:

It is! But personally I!d recommend playing it after the main plot and before Hearts, because then it feels a bit like Geralt's Mediterranean vacation between assignments.

I would actually advise 100% against this. Blood and Wine is intended to be a conclusion, not an intermission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

It is! But personally I!d recommend playing it after the main plot and before Hearts, because then it feels a bit like Geralt's Mediterranean vacation between assignments.

watch Alien, then watch Alien3, then go back to Aliens

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The biggest problem with playing HoS before B&W is that the rewards will all suck in comparison (including Roach's gear) and that B&W levels you up pretty fast so you'll come into HoS way overleveled. Your final experience with the game like this might end up being a wet fart.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Blood and Wine could have used a villain as intresting as Hearts of stone's villain but its still great and the new region is so amazingly pretty .

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
At the very least they needed to spend more time showing us why we should feel sympathy/empathy for him.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Blood and Wine should definitely at least be finished last even if you start on it earlier. I think the feeling of finality about the ending being Geralt finally settling down would be undercut if you then continue on to have another big adventure.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

At the very least they needed to spend more time showing us why we should feel sympathy/empathy for him.

Why? Geralt doesn't care about him, but he does care about his friend Emiel.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think ultimately the point of that was to provide an arc for your friend who has to get over acting like a naive fool with misguided good intentions, and also to create a dynamic between Geralt and his friend (will you trust his judgment, or do things your way?), rather than to make the villain feel sympathetic.

SirSamVimes posted:

I would actually advise 100% against this. Blood and Wine is intended to be a conclusion, not an intermission.

Yes, but it's also a nice counterpoint to the tense conclusion of the main plot.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
how bad did i gently caress up in the Favor For A Friend quest by killing Keira? i didn't realize i could talk her into going to Witcher HQ and now i feel like an rear end in a top hat!!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, she's awesome so you hosed up bad.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Megazver posted:

I mean, she's awesome so you hosed up bad.

I didn't know that dialogue option would mean murdering her lol. Even once combat started I thought it would just end with me beating some sense into her or something. More than anything I'm just wondering if I locked myself out of any major quest stuff related to her later on or if the Fyke Isle stuff was most of her story arc

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

goferchan posted:

I didn't know that dialogue option would mean murdering her lol. Even once combat started I thought it would just end with me beating some sense into her or something. More than anything I'm just wondering if I locked myself out of any major quest stuff related to her later on or if the Fyke Isle stuff was most of her story arc

Yeah her part at that point is mostly over, but she would have shown up later in the story for one of the games climaxes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Depending on how bad you gently caress up other poo poo, you might have also just killed Lambert.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

goferchan posted:

how bad did i gently caress up in the Favor For A Friend quest by killing Keira? i didn't realize i could talk her into going to Witcher HQ and now i feel like an rear end in a top hat!!

Sooner or later everyone feels like an rear end in a top hat.

Hell, I make saves before most important decisions just to see what the bad decision turns out like.

The "bad end" for the previous fyke isle quest is quite hosed up.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

goferchan posted:

how much did you play afterwards? if this just happened just redo it since she shows up some more later on. if you already sunk a few more hours in, don't fret its not that big of an addition.

but yeah you hosed up son

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Re: face animation chat from a couple pages ago....

My favorite is Triss's annoyed eyeroll when she asks Geralt how Yennefer is and he replies "She's fine". It's subtle but conveys a lot.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hobo Clown posted:

My favorite is Triss's annoyed eyeroll when she asks Geralt how Yennefer is and he replies "She's fine". It's subtle but conveys a lot.

Those little animations are so good I actually started making Geralt say the gooniest options just to see people's reactions to them. What a lovable oblivious doofus that guy is.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Shani's faces are amazing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Halser posted:

Sooner or later everyone feels like an rear end in a top hat.

Hell, I make saves before most important decisions just to see what the bad decision turns out like.

The "bad end" for the previous fyke isle quest is quite hosed up.

yeah I played the game at launch and got to Novigrad and dropped it for MGSV; just started a new game last week because i couldn't remember what was going on. I got the "bring him the bones" ending for Fyke Isle my first time through, pretty brutal!!

edit: and yes it's been quite a few hours since the Keira stuff so I'm gonna live with my decision

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goferchan posted:

edit: and yes it's been quite a few hours since the Keira stuff so I'm gonna live with my decision

you monster.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

:/ You hosed up as much as you possibly could there. :/

I didn't even know you could *do* that. What was your general sequence of events?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 19, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

redbackground posted:

I didn't even know you could *do* that. What was your general sequence of events?

I killed her the first time, just because its an unexpected escalation, but then i immediately reloaded and tried the other options and got her to Kaer Morhen

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That's not the worst outcome possible though. The worst is letting her go to Radovid because then she dies in a way more horrific way than by Geralt's sword.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

That's not the worst outcome possible though. The worst is letting her go to Radovid because then she dies in a way more horrific way than by Geralt's sword.

i looked that up back when and goddamn its brutal

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I disagree with the people saying you should reload. Actions have consequences, live with them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I disagree with the people saying you should reload. Actions have consequences, live with them.

its a game, and not everyone is going to do multiple playthroughs

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Even if you only do one playthrough it's ok to not get the optimal solution to everything.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

redbackground posted:

We went on the date and had sex and all that. I think I said "I can't believe we hosed" because that's a really funny dialogue option and then basically stood my ground with "I can't let you take the notes to Radovid" -- you don't like straight up run her through or anything though, she tells you to draw your sword and actually puts up a pretty decent fight. But yeah I did NOT think it would be a duel to the death

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Mzbundifund posted:

Even if you only do one playthrough it's ok to not get the optimal solution to everything.

except for the bad dad end.

I reloaded a save five hours prior, speedran the poo poo out of the game and finished the game again.

It was 3AM, I had to wake up at 6AM, and it was worth it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i probably woulda watched it on youtube in that situation

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
People on Youtube don't get Geralt's hair right.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been getting back into the game recently and am loving every second of it. The one major turn-off is the massive amount of NPC bugs I'm running into. I'll stumble upon large boss NPCs either in contracts or out in the wild, and for the first 10% of the fight they're great, but then afterwards they bug out and just glitch themselves to the point where they don't move and don't attack. It means most of my fights end up with me cheesing it and attacking something that hasn't got the chance to fight back. I've only noticed this with larger NPCs. Is there any way to fix this? It takes out so much fun from the game and makes me feel like I'm not even being challenged. This is Blood and Broken Bones difficulty.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

I've been getting back into the game recently and am loving every second of it. The one major turn-off is the massive amount of NPC bugs I'm running into. I'll stumble upon large boss NPCs either in contracts or out in the wild, and for the first 10% of the fight they're great, but then afterwards they bug out and just glitch themselves to the point where they don't move and don't attack. It means most of my fights end up with me cheesing it and attacking something that hasn't got the chance to fight back. I've only noticed this with larger NPCs. Is there any way to fix this? It takes out so much fun from the game and makes me feel like I'm not even being challenged. This is Blood and Broken Bones difficulty.

Verify/repair the game first?
reinstall any mods.

Just a suggestion. I've never experienced what you're describing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So? It's a story, bad things can happen in stories sometimes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just do what you want

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no, do what i want

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Megazver posted:

Depending on how bad you gently caress up other poo poo, you might have also just killed Lambert.

wait, are these alternatives to having Vesimir die? having Lambert die instead of Vesemir would own bones

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

wait, are these alternatives to having Vesimir die? having Lambert die instead of Vesemir would own bones

no, Keira saves Lambert while hes getting mobbed near the entrance. Vesemir always gonna get got.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
I feel like both Keira getting impaled by the Witch Hunters and Lambert dying both add to the, heh, stakes of the story, and the overall depressing feeling of the Witcher universe. Couldn't go through with that, though. Maybe in another playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nycticeius posted:

I feel like both Keira getting impaled by the Witch Hunters and Lambert dying both add to the, heh, stakes of the story, and the overall depressing feeling of the Witcher universe. Couldn't go through with that, though. Maybe in another playthrough.

There will never be a playthrough in which Kiera and Geralt don't have a picnic. :colbert: