Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

That roasting cage looks awesome man.

Any of you guys know someone that repairs curb rash on wheels preferably the south part of the province? I've got a couple spots on my 911 Twist rims that I am thinking of getting fixed this winter.

The only guy I've heard of is in Edmonton. He does the wheel finish repairs for the Audi dealership my boss spends all of his $$ at, so I'd guess he's not too bad. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

Any of you guys know someone that repairs curb rash on wheels preferably the south part of the province? I've got a couple spots on my 911 Twist rims that I am thinking of getting fixed this winter.

All the wheel restoration shops around here are garbage, but Kwicksilver here in Calgary is the least worst that I've come across thus far.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just got the tickets for the BBQ tonight guys. The five dollar all you can drink keg beer was a no go thanks to the aglc, but I'll explain how it'll work in person when you show up.

Dinner is nominally around five or six, feel free to show up anytime around three or four if you'd like to help out with the pig or just hang out around the roaster / firepit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

All the wheel restoration shops around here are garbage, but Kwicksilver here in Calgary is the least worst that I've come across thus far.
http://www.kwicksilver.ca/

quote:

Owning a Kwicksilver franchise can provide:

90% Gross Profit
No Competition
Guaranteed National Accounts
Immediate Startup and Income
Financing Assistance
Protected Territories

:wtc: Let's make our main website show our prospective customers how badly you're going to get raped!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'll be out sometime around 5:30-6 or so, all things being equal.

slidebite posted:

:wtc: Let's make our main website show our prospective customers how badly you're going to get raped!

Yeah, that's kind of hosed up, but he does reasonably good work. At least, better than Alberta Wheel Repair, which is a pretty loving low bar admittedly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you guys have the opportunity to, please do this survey from the Alberta government on changes to the future K-12 curriculum.

http://www.alberta.ca/curriculum-survey.aspx

Section B, if you want to do it can be quite time consuming so you are warned, but the initial basic survey is a 5 minute thing.

I did and mentioned in the comments at the end that strongly believe that critical thinking skills and basic financial literacy need to be taught in the schools. Especially since most parents are loving woeful at doing it themselves so they have to get it somewhere.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That is completely unsustainable in this province, how else are we supposed to keep a sufficient population of grade nine educated speed addicts to keep our oil and gas industry running?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

That is completely unsustainable in this province, how else are we supposed to keep a sufficient population of grade nine educated speed addicts to keep our oil and gas industry running?

Northern ontario and newfoundland still exist.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

Can concur. You think rig-pigs like their meth? Come see what miners love.
Seriously.
Its loving sad.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Until Brian Jean wins and builds a wall on the North, East, and Western borders of the province.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just cleaning the coal out of that bus took a year off my life, most of those miners won't live long enough for drugs to kill them anyways. Even if they're smoking crack, it's probably the 3rd most toxic thing to take a trip through their lungs in a day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

That won't be an issue, there will still be a healthy population that start dropping out at grade 7 with their parents blessing anyhow.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

That won't be an issue, there will still be a healthy population that start dropping out at grade 7 with their parents blessing anyhow.

We need them to staff the Timmy's drivethru to keep Our Boys in Carhartts tweaking though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

We need them to staff the Timmy's drivethru to keep Our Boys in Carhartts tweaking though.

Trudeau is bringing back the temporary foreign visa program, and establishing paths to residency, so we'll have plenty of filipinos happy for that $15/hour.

He's also shying away from a $15/hr min wage, so we might be alone in that, We'll have all the immigrants all to ourselves.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Trudeau is bringing back the temporary foreign visa program, and establishing paths to residency, so we'll have plenty of filipinos happy for that $15/hour.

He's also shying away from a $15/hr min wage, so we might be alone in that, We'll have all the immigrants all to ourselves.

Our Lord and Messiah Brian Jean will repeal that minimum wage law and put it back to three dollars an hour where it belongs, Hail Kleinphomet.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OK so after last tire change took 5 loving hours at crappy tire :suicide: and now calling a local Kal tires about putting on the winter tires got a first available quote of November 22nd, and me laughing in his face at that, looks like I'm in the market for a jack and torque wrench to just do the job myself. Been avoiding it because I live in a condo and don't really have a lot of work or storage space. Suggestions or recommendations welcome if there are any sales on out there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So, do you have the snow tires on rims already?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yeah good to go, just a matter of swapping the rims and bolts.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Are you free Sunday afternoon? I could probably help you then if you're in the Calgary area.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

If you're in the Edmonton area, I can help Sunday (maybe Friday evening, I'll have to check). I have all the tools, just show up with the wheels.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I'm humbled by everyone's generosity, thanks! I am in Calgary and free Sunday afternoon.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm nearly done building this monstrosity. Need a lid, skin the whole thing with sheet, and build some dampers to control airflow.

Anyone have a 120v ac motor that runs at like 3-400 rpm and around 1/4 to 1/2 HP? Gear motors are fine. My stupid 3/4hp bandsaw motor runs too fast.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wowza. That's bigger than I expected.

What's that gearbox ratio and what is your target overall RPM coming out of it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Wowza. That's bigger than I expected.

I'll take "Good Things To Hear From Your Date But Not From The Guy Who Specified The Bearings" for $500, Alex.

Luckily we probably don't need bearings at all!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLoqutcghtd/?taken-by=seatsafetyswitch

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lol bearings will be fine I'm sure.

Might have a couple ideas for the drive though... Although there might be something at the princess auto surplus section.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The gearbox is 100:1, and I'm looking for somewhere around 10rpm or less.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'll take "Good Things To Hear From Your Date But Not From The Guy Who Specified The Bearings" for $500, Alex.

:golfclap:

In regards to a motor, would a washing machine motor work? I think my dad has a spare kicking around that he kept because, why not. I'm heading over there tonight, I can check.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a blender in the garage with the plastic bits blown apart, not sure if that will be big enough.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

:golfclap:

In regards to a motor, would a washing machine motor work? I think my dad has a spare kicking around that he kept because, why not. I'm heading over there tonight, I can check.

Maybe? See if you can grab some pictures of the mounting plates.

Don't washing machine motors need step drivers?

Local company has a low rpm gear motor for sale that's about the right size and speed, but it's 20 inch pounds output, and DC, but it comes with a speed controller.

Seems... low on torque for this purpose unless I get the balance just right.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm trying to remember what the hell my dad used for pig roasts when I was a kid but I'm drawing a blank, I know it was chain driven but that's about it. I'd probably see what Princess Auto has on offer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Keep in mind the motor itself doesn't need a lot of torque, that 100:1 gearbox is going to do the heavy lifting. That said, 20 in/lb is pretty weak :shobon:

If it wasn't such a high reduction box, I'd almost say go to Walmart or Superstore and just use a standard BBQ rotisserie setup and use that as the primary mover, but that would probably be way too slow for you after that big reduction box.

Most "modern" (as in since turn of the century) washing machines have inverters/speed controls inside them and actually have DC motors. Maybe an old-school top loader might be scavanged for parts.

How about ripping apart an old garage door opener? Plenty of HP on them. I know the final output on them is fairly slow but you might be able to take off some final stage reduction bits.

Comedy option? Fashion a handle on the input of that gearbox and give the kids something to do. You will be able to easily turn that thing by hand, guaranteed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you want to buy me a new garage door opener you can have my current one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Keep in mind the motor itself doesn't need a lot of torque, that 100:1 gearbox is going to do the heavy lifting. That said, 20 in/lb is pretty weak :shobon:

Comedy option? Fashion a handle on the input of that gearbox and give the kids something to do. You will be able to easily turn that thing by hand, guaranteed.

Get this, it has a loving 5/8ths shaft on it. What the hell needs such a beefy shaft with such low torque???

But yes, I will be putting something we can turn it by hand with anyway, just in case anything burns out or breaks. We can do 45' turns every five to ten minutes, it'll still be fine.

I put a couple calls out to Calgary suppliers, hopefully one of them can source something for me today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah that's obviously very little power but anything smaller than 5/8 becomes a pain in the butt to find coupling parts for. 5/8 up is standard run-of-the-mill off-the-shelf stuff even if it's gross overkill

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I think I'm gonna go loving balls out crazy and drive my tractor down to use its battery pack, charger, and motor controller to run a spare 48v DC motor that I have to run the rotisserie instead of an AC gear motor.

Place I called can get a 1/4 horse baldor with a 60:1 planetary on it but they want almost eight hundred loving dollars for it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

or find a small gas engine for it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

What about a bicycle? I could sit there pedaling all night.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Take a wheel off and use an idling car on jackstands.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 19, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Neighbour found a gear motor on a parts tumbler, might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Take a wheel off and use an idling car on jackstands.

This is what I proposed in the first place.