Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I was born in 81 too, and in grade 12, my friend and I would watch Pokemon every day. We were way too old for it. Now I'm a HS teacher, and knowing those original 151 Pokemon is a huge asset when relating to my students!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Popular "IT'S A PRANK BRO" racist youtuber makes fake racist video and gets exposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkvwKDTS3Bo

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Don't like the guy one bit but I do appreciate the response.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

belt posted:

Popular "IT'S A PRANK BRO" racist youtuber makes fake racist video and gets exposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkvwKDTS3Bo

Goddamn, that dude is completely insufferable

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

*Gently rest the enormous concrete sphere two inches above the collarbone to release the upper leg ligaments *

*This kills the strongman *

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Toot toot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETrWMvicKps

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

drat, to get that close and then drop the ball :(

He must be all broken up over it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

:kimchi: Such a good video :kimchi:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFv42UP4Pg

- Old people selfies.

-Grand dad telling kid to "suck my balls" on xboxlive.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's adorable. I always wondered if truckers liked honking their horns for little kids. It seems like it would be one of the only perks to that job.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's adorable. I always wondered if truckers liked honking their horns for little kids. It seems like it would be one of the only perks to that job.

I think most of them do. In the province where I live there are several yearly "truckruns". These are events where the truck drivers have a person with intellectual disability in the passenger seat, where they drive in a convoy through several villages and where the horn is being honked constantly. I used to go and watch them pass by when I was a kid and it was guaranteed half hour cacophony of honking while we waved towards the trucks. And that's just them passing by, they probably end up driving and honking for at least two hours.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Oct 19, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

I think most of them do. In the province where I live there are several yearly "truckruns". These are events where the truck drivers have a person with intellectual disability in the passenger seat, where they drive in a convoy through several villages and where the horn is being honked constantly. I used to go and watch them pass by when I was a kid and it was guaranteed half hour cacophony of honking while we waved towards the trucks. And that's just them passing by, they probably end up driving and honking for at least two hours.

Yeah they have one going through the town where I grew up too. Always makes me wonder how many people are walking away from that with hearing damage, those things are loving loud.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Having a non-specific puking illness is the best schadenfreude. This last week I traveled out east to visit family and was sick for a day for non-specific reasons. Lots of vomiting. I was with my father and he decided that, instead of just letting me be sick for a day, he would tell everyone in my family that I was on deaths door.

People I didn't even know were asking me if I was OK and how my health was. Was I dying? Am I able to soldier on? It was ridiculous. I was sick for 24 hours and got better. That was the alpha and omega. Jesus Christ, sometimes one gets sick and then gets better. How does vomiting equate with death? It's the single most common, simple, illness that you can get.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I was born in 1981 and every two years, like clockwork, I am reassigned to a newly-designated generation. Off the top of my head I have been told that I am Gen X, Gen Y, Millenial, "The Internet Generation," and a bunch of others that just go in oue ear and out the other. Basically these labels are bullshit and not descriptive in any useful way.

The only significant generational marker I have found that may actually separate "millenials" from the X/Y older group, at least in the West, is exposure to Pokemon as a kid/teen. I don't know a goddamn thing about Pokemon. I don't care about it, and I don't get it. It didn't exist when I was anywhere near its original target demographic. I don't even really care that you know that I don't care about it. I only bring it up because there are people who are only 2-3 years younger than me who insist that Pokemon was literally everywhere when they were growing up, and even if they didn't themselves have any interest, it was unavoidable in that way of really big trends.

I've noticed that as well. I was born in 1978 and so far I've been Generation X along with a handful of others. I think it's just Baby Boomer mentality trying to relate to the youth today in terms that Boomers can relate to but no longer truly understand. So instead of realizing all people age, the Post-Boomers will always have a different name and a different sort of issues that somehow make us not as great as the Boomers or somehow different and prone to mockery by a generation that is really uncomfortable with not being young and in charge of culture in the way they once were. I suppose the real schaden is that the Boomers did change the world but in the same way fell victim to the same things they claimed to be against, even to the point of trying to label the youth in a variety of ways that have never stuck.

Also, Pokemon is a good divider if we were talking generations. Being raised on '80s cartoons/toy commercials, I missed the Pokemon thing by a few years and it still seems strange to me that it caught on. To me anime was just those adult cartoons in video stores that were full of nudity and gore.

mostlygray posted:

Having a non-specific puking illness is the best schadenfreude. This last week I traveled out east to visit family and was sick for a day for non-specific reasons. Lots of vomiting. I was with my father and he decided that, instead of just letting me be sick for a day, he would tell everyone in my family that I was on deaths door.

People I didn't even know were asking me if I was OK and how my health was. Was I dying? Am I able to soldier on? It was ridiculous. I was sick for 24 hours and got better. That was the alpha and omega. Jesus Christ, sometimes one gets sick and then gets better. How does vomiting equate with death? It's the single most common, simple, illness that you can get.

I never got why a day or two of illness suddenly had to be justified either. Sometimes you get a bug. It happens.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Ghost Pepper-Eating Contest Leaves SF Man With Hole In Esophagus

The Journal of Emergency Medicine

quote:

But one man almost didn’t. Doctors at UCSF Medical Center are reporting a case of a 47-year-old man who came to the emergency room with severe abdominal and chest pain followed by “violent retching and vomiting after eating ghost peppers as part of a contest.” The man ate a hamburger with a ghost pepper puree that was so hot, it burned a hole in his esophagus, which then collapsed one of his lungs. He spent 23 days in the hospital and went home with a tube down his stomach.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That's not possible for it to burn a hole in his esophagus. What really happened is that he coughed and vomited so violently that it tore a hole.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
"Hot pepper melted a hole in my throat!" sounds far cooler, tbh.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

That's not possible for it to burn a hole in his esophagus. What really happened is that he coughed and vomited so violently that it tore a hole.

Sounds like he aspirated some of vomit as well.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

flosofl posted:

Sounds like he aspirated some of vomit as well.

I think what happens is air goes through the hole in the esophagus but cant get out and as the air pressure builds in the chest cavity it collapses one or both lungs. afaik the solution is ramming a needle into the chest to drain excess air. It happened in the movie Three Kings in a prety graphic scene.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TotalLossBrain posted:

"Hot pepper melted a hole in my throat!" sounds far cooler, tbh.

Yeah but peppers are technically a neurotoxin which is cooler

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A burger with purée hot peppers on it does sound pretty drat good though.

*Not ghosties.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rolo posted:

A burger with purée hot peppers on it does sound pretty drat good though.

*Not ghosties.

Pretty sure the Vektor at Kuma's Corner had a chili puree on it. I could be wrong though. It was either that or the Megadeth which they got rid of.

Knock yourself out:
http://www.kumascorner.com/gallery/botm

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Happy Birthday to the GROUND.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Here is an on-topic shadenfreude to break up the derails about millennial semantics and goobers upset about getting paid to watch Netflix at the office ON A SATURDAY!?!??! AN OUTRAGE I WILL NOT STAND FOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vN8AA6hmVI

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Being in my mid 30s and just now realizing that I'll never again feel the same level of joy/excitement as when a truck driver blew his air horn at me and my buddies on the school bus doing the HONK HONK motion is some pretty spicy schadenfreude :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait till you're 36 and realize the things that were important to you 8 years ago now mean nothing and you let the one thing you truly cared about go because you couldn't find a middle ground.

There will be nights when you're walking home with a random woman you've just picked up in a bar and you'll let your liquor soaked mind pretend it's actually someone that holds meaning to you. You'll call her a different name by mistake, but you'll both ignore it and then quietly make your way home after she falls asleep. You'll make drunken small talk with the cab driver, unload a bunch of baggage on him, then tip him a $20 once you get home.

You'll slide into bed and look at your ex's number through slightly misty eyes and wonder to yourself if she still had the same number. Then you'll wonder if she'd even answer if you called. You'll realize that the answer to both is obviously no and sleep will slowly fall over you. Right before you slip into unconsciousness you'll mutter to the dark emptiness of your room, "At least I don't work Saturdays."

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait till you're 36 and realize the things that were important to you 8 years ago now mean nothing and you let the one thing you truly cared about go because you couldn't find a middle ground.

There will be nights when you're walking home with a random woman you've just picked up in a bar and you'll let your liquor soaked mind pretend it's actually someone that holds meaning to you. You'll call her a different name by mistake, but you'll both ignore it and then quietly make your way home after she falls asleep. You'll make drunken small talk with the cab driver, unload a bunch of baggage on him, then tip him a $20 once you get home.

You'll slide into bed and look at your ex's number through slightly misty eyes and wonder to yourself if she still had the same number. Then you'll wonder if she'd even answer if you called. You'll realize that the answer to both is obviously no and sleep will slowly fall over you. Right before you slip into unconsciousness you'll mutter to the dark emptiness of your room, "At least I don't work Saturdays."

:laffo: i love this post

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Solice Kirsk posted:

:gary::vince:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lol why do you have your ex's number on your phone

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I love all kinds of stuff on the internet, but it's rare something makes me involuntarily cackle out loud. Good work.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Whoop, wrong thread

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mars may have claimed another lander. Poor EU space agency. The score is what 2 to 7 in favor of Mars, now?

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/10/19/world/europe/ap-eu-europe-mars-landing.html

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

fullroundaction posted:

Being in my mid 30s and just now realizing that I'll never again feel the same level of joy/excitement as when a truck driver blew his air horn at me and my buddies on the school bus doing the HONK HONK motion is some pretty spicy schadenfreude :smith:

I did this to a train driver and the feeling is real, even at 35.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Baronjutter posted:

I did this to a train driver and the feeling is real, even at 35.

Thanks. This means a lot :glomp:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Also, Pokemon is a good divider if we were talking generations. Being raised on '80s cartoons/toy commercials, I missed the Pokemon thing by a few years and it still seems strange to me that it caught on. To me anime was just those adult cartoons in video stores that were full of nudity and gore.

Born in 1979, was already out of high school when Pokemon became popular, and I can only name a few things from it through cultural osmosis and niece's/nephew's descriptive fandom of it over the years :shrug:

Another good divider I find is the princess's name from the Super Mario games: Toadstool or Peach? I still call her Toadstool :shroom:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stop aggressing at me with your straightsplaining.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

LeJackal posted:

Stop aggressing at me with your straightsplaining.

Not even trying anymore. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Dude socially isolated himself for so long that he lost the ability to speak and had to be retaught. No wonder his a crazy egotist.

What? Do you have a source for this?