Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of vilerat, does anyone feel kind of awkward when Benghazi comes up around family because of his role in the forums? Like, we sort of knew the dude, but we didn't really know the dude, but we at least knew him better than everyone using him as a political prop. I always feel weird about it, and am now sure how to react.

No different than when spree shootings come up after that nutcase asked TFR about ammo and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Nenonen posted:

:smith: this loving election is ruining everything good and beautiful

~~~ don't forget, Don - friendship is magic ~~~

Reminder, after then RNC, a talking head literally mention pony and actually quoted an episode line(of course the context was that it was an Inception go into the dream world deal and-OHMYFUCKINGGODFUCKDONNIEFORMAKINGMLPAFOOTNOTEINCOLLEGEHISTORYTEXTBOOKSFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mdemone posted:

Hell, I don't even know if you can develop them or if you're born with it. To me it's not quite about power or ambition, but I can't exactly put my finger on what I feel that it is most/all Presidents have had in common.

Yeah, there's something though. Beyond just inordinate amounts of charisma, which most of the modern presidents on both sides have had.

Has anyone here ever met a president?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

O RLY?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of vilerat, does anyone feel kind of awkward when Benghazi comes up around family because of his role in the forums? Like, we sort of knew the dude, but we didn't really know the dude, but we at least knew him better than everyone using him as a political prop. I always feel weird about it, and am now sure how to react.

I mentioned it when she was on during the RNC. I only mentioned it to give the context of "Yeah, the dude was a huge leftist and pretty much hated his mother because she was a right wing conspiracy nut" and that he moderated the politics forum on a dead comedy site and started a "crazy forwards from family" thread.

I wanted to let them in on the irony of watching someone become the very thing they fought against.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, there's something though. Beyond just inordinate amounts of charisma, which most of the modern presidents on both sides have had.

Presidential candidate!

Of Peru!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Presidential candidate!

Of Peru!

Haha how was it?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

RuanGacho posted:

This forum knew vilerats mind better than his mother did, but I find it distasteful to discuss him in general, as the GOPs behavior is pretty much the anthesis of Rest In Peace and I don't advocate encouraging it.

It's an interesting observation, though-- such requests to let the dead rest in peace are really only privileged in our political discourse if they come from people with personal stake, such as friends and relatives. Not that the requests of friends and relatives are necessarily honored either; Stevens' mom and Vilerat's wife have both been very emphatic about the grossness of using Benghazi as a weapon. Like I said earlier, the speed at which previous appearances of decorum have fallen apart over the last eight years is really astonishing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I've often thought that it's actually APD-spectrum stuff. Most sociopaths have perfectly normal family lives, and so on.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Haha how was it?

We briefly talked about books

It was Mario Vargas Llosa :ssh:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Crain posted:

I mentioned it when she was on during the RNC. I only mentioned it to give the context of "Yeah, the dude was a huge leftist and pretty much hated his mother because she was a right wing conspiracy nut" and that he moderated the politics forum on a dead comedy site and started a "crazy forwards from family" thread.

I wanted to let them in on the irony of watching someone become the very thing they fought against.

DailyDot had an article about that not long after the RNC.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

g0del posted:

Ailes has a really lazy half-windsor knot for someone who presumable wears a tie more than once every few years.

In his defense that's probably the best his aides could get straightened before the pic after he tried to strangle himself with it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Quorum posted:

It's an interesting observation, though-- such requests to let the dead rest in peace are really only privileged in our political discourse if they come from people with personal stake, such as friends and relatives. Not that the requests of friends and relatives are necessarily honored either; Stevens' mom and Vilerat's wife have both been very emphatic about the grossness of using Benghazi as a weapon. Like I said earlier, the speed at which previous appearances of decorum have fallen apart over the last eight years is really astonishing.

It's primarily because the guy running on one side right now has absolutely none. Zero. To him, rules other people follow because that's an agreed upon norm of behavior (but that aren't accompanied by immediate punative consequences) don't exist and people are stupid for following them.

I'm really glad that attitude is losing him the race so far.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its kind of interesting because you know if there was a grieving mother on the left and her dead son had a bunch of internet history exposing himself as a hardcore right-winger, the GOP would have dug that up and paraded it around in a second.

In a second.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You mean the only people who matter?

If Patty Smith goes on a tirade during the debate the story could easily be about a grief stricken mom regardless of whether Hillary's answer is acceptable or not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I've always felt that "Birther Queen" was something you should expect to find at the end of a Resident Evil game.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I usually mention his name, and the fact that we goon folks as a group put up his kids' college fund, and that's pretty much killed crappy Thanksgiving table benghazi chat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So who's Trump's mystery guest?

Keefe?
A 19 year old black man from Illinois?
Bill's 'son'?
The woman who said Hillary assaulted her?
That fixer from the Enquirer?
The body of Vince Foster?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

haveblue posted:

I've always felt that "Birther Queen" was something you should expect to find at the end of a Resident Evil game.

see also: DeviantArt fetish

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Longish read, but a good read of an interview with Naomi Klein and Glen Greenwald about the journalistic ethics of covering a lot of the poo poo wikileaks is upto these days: https://theintercept.com/2016/10/19/is-disclosure-of-podestas-emails-a-step-too-far-a-conversation-with-naomi-klein

Highlight is her very mild zinging of him for devoting significant resources to covering several gross violations of privacy, while building himself up as the lone defender of such:

quote:

"The other thing I would say is I think there’s a particular responsibility for you as a journalist — and others at The Intercept — because you’re the ones who brought us the Snowden files, and I am one of many people who are tremendously grateful for that line in the sand about our rights to electronic privacy. You are one of three or four people in the world who have done the most to defend that principle for our electronic communications — because we live our lives online, we can’t distinguish that from our right to privacy, period. These leaks are not, in my opinion, in the same category as the Pentagon Papers or previous WikiLeaks releases like the trade documents they continue to leak, which I am tremendously grateful for, because those are government documents that we have a right to, that are central to democracy. There are many things in that category."

size1one posted:

If Patty Smith goes on a tirade during the debate the story could easily be about a grief stricken mom regardless of whether Hillary's answer is acceptable or not.

That literally won't be allowed to happen (1) and (2) she did that during the RNC.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Former President, George HW was in town eating at the same Chinese restaurant when I was a little tyke and shook my hand. It made my week. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Furnaceface posted:

Replace the live audience with muppets.

Is it bad that I would actually expect Clinton to reply properly to the stairs question?

I'd laugh. Then probably drink myself to death.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren: Q NATIONAL POLL :siren:
https://twitter.com/QuinnipiacPoll/status/788809886507343876

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

Keefe?
Bill's 'son'?

John Miller.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
New Quinnipiac poll has Hillary up 7, and considering it's built in Republicsn bias it will probably be adjusted to +8 or 9.

So that makes over half dozen polls released over the last 48 hours that has Hillary up at least 7 points. And over half have her up over 10.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/788810207342260225

Quinnipiac national, 47-40

Was 45-40 2 weeks ago.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Fangz posted:

Keefe?
Bill's 'son'?

It's one of Hillary's lizard spawn who's gone rogue, it'll expose her as the Lizard Matriarch in return for the right to kill her and take her place at the head of the globe-spanning brood.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

but legit you guys if I get killed by a brown person I am asking all of you to go out there and tell the world I was a lefty commie mother fucker and don't want any racist poo poo done in my name

Unironically same

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, Trump's wild flailing is because he's realized, even in his dumb lizard brain, he can't beat Clinton in an actual debate. He's hoping to de-legitimize it the same way he is the election as a whole because he knows he's losing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

size1one posted:

Don't care (beyond the issue of the decorum of such a thing), and it doesn't matter (because this poo poo is OVAH)

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Of course the media is biased against Trump - everyone who has two brain cells to rub together ought to be.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Quorum posted:

It's one of Hillary's lizard spawn who's gone rogue, it'll expose her as the Lizard Matriarch in return for the right to kill her and take her place at the head of the globe-spanning brood.

And then she'll disembowel it and mount its carcass on the podium as an example to other overly optimistic usurpers.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

"media is biased by showing direct quotes of Trump in context that were not made in private email conversations but in public settings" never gets old.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I mean, Trump's wild flailing is because he's realized, even in his dumb lizard brain, he can't beat Clinton in an actual debate. He's hoping to de-legitimize it the same way he is the election as a whole because he knows he's losing.

Yeah my concern at this point is about repairing the integrity of our electoral system after his tantrum is over in November.

I hope the GOP as a whole has enough respect for our democracy as a legacy and institution to try and restore dignity to their side of politics soon

oh god we're hosed aren't we

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

And then she'll disembowel it and mount its carcass on the podium as an example to other overly optimistic usurpers.

May her descendants be belligerent and numerous, and death come swiftly to her foes!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah my concern at this point is about repairing the integrity of our electoral system after his tantrum is over in November.

I hope the GOP as a whole has enough respect for our democracy as a legacy and institution to try and restore dignity to their side of politics soon

oh god we're hosed aren't we

That particular finish line is several laps behind us.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fangz posted:

Keefe?
Bill's 'son'?

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/788795440800075776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

He's literally going Full Springer. This is going to be batshit insane and ugly.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

my dad once had george hw bush make a campaign stop at his workplace in 1992.

also i was once personally inconvenienced by president obama because i had to go up to fotokem to get some film processed for a film class, and obama was going to be on the tonight show that night and so the burbank police closed off half of the streets around the nbc lot for security reasons.

so i had to go somewhere else to get my film telecine'd since they were going to close down the road that fotokem was on later that day and i wouldn't have had time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OAquinas posted:

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/788795440800075776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

He's literally going Full Springer. This is going to be batshit insane and ugly.

So, what does the debate commission do, exactly? They shot down his dumb 'WE'LL YELL BILL CLINTON IS A RAPIST WHO RAPES' moment last time. Do they just deny these guests or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Richard Nixon. :nixon:

But I was five and he died a few months later, so I can't really comment on his charisma.

• Locked thread