Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Keep in mind that he accused STEP of being "the marketing arm of MO." Literally everything this guy says has to be taken with a loving spoonful of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah, I know Arthmoor can be paranoid and kooky. Statements along the lines of a virtual file system somehow degrading aren't wacky opinions, though. Somewhere along the line he had to back that up by describing how Skyrim accessing it causes blocks to become corrupt, or he had to deflect with an "uncle who works at Nintendo" defense, or maybe nobody challenged him because there's no point. It's probably the last one. I'm just curious if anyone knows.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Raygereio posted:

Simply using a variable from another as a condition in a recipe is easy. It's something you do in a matter of seconds in xEdit if you have all the necessary FormIDs at hand.
It's not a pain in the rear end at all (then again: I've been modding Bethesda-engine games since Morrowind, so maybe I've developed Stockholm syndrome by now).

But you seem to be planning something else. Give some details about what you want to do and we'll see if it's possible and how you can do it.

I'm a big fan of Frostfall, and if it hasn't been done already, I'd like to write up a quick mod that allows the player to add "liners" to their clothing/robes/armor. Basically a combination of felt, leather, and ties that gives the item additional Warmth (that's the value I'd need from Frostfall). From a design standpoint, it'd be made on a tanning rack and added via workbench. I think I'd make this mutually exclusive with armor upgrades - you can have extra protection from bad folks, or extra protection from the cruel and unfeeling hand of the Skyrim wilderness.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Herrvillain posted:

Yeah, I know Arthmoor can be paranoid and kooky. Statements along the lines of a virtual file system somehow degrading aren't wacky opinions, though. Somewhere along the line he had to back that up by describing how Skyrim accessing it causes blocks to become corrupt, or he had to deflect with an "uncle who works at Nintendo" defense, or maybe nobody challenged him because there's no point. It's probably the last one. I'm just curious if anyone knows.

Ah, I see. Well, every crazy thing he says may have a grain of truth. For example, it is true that STEP favors MO over other mod managers, and they phased out WB support in favor of it. The crazy comes in by assuming they did this for any other reason than genuinely thinking that it's superior. This is because Arthmoor seems to have a hard time with the idea of people disagreeing with him in good faith.

So for VFS, I'm going to guess that he got a complaint about his mod that might not have been related to a problem with his mod but was related in some vague way to a "missing file." A mutual failure of communication (misunderstanding on the user's part, hostile suspicion by default on arthmoor's part) led to the conclusion that it was MO's fault. This is just a guess though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I'm a big fan of Frostfall, and if it hasn't been done already, I'd like to write up a quick mod that allows the player to add "liners" to their clothing/robes/armor. Basically a combination of felt, leather, and ties that gives the item additional Warmth (that's the value I'd need from Frostfall). From a design standpoint, it'd be made on a tanning rack and added via workbench. I think I'd make this mutually exclusive with armor upgrades - you can have extra protection from bad folks, or extra protection from the cruel and unfeeling hand of the Skyrim wilderness.

I am prrrreetty sure the all of Chesko's major mods have "modder's resource" stuff for exactly this purpose because he is big on accommodating interoperability between his stuff and others'. Although it might be located in Campfire rather than Frostfall.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how anyone plays frostfall for more than an hour amazes me

it's a tedious minigame that puts a lot of strain on your game and adds a lot of crap you will never use. MAYBE if you're going full on realistic needs/diseases and want that added challenge, but Hypothermia does the same thing except doesn't add 10000 wool blanket scraps to lug around.

e: chesko fight me irl

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Herrvillain posted:

But I don't recall that it magically tracks conflicting loose files, and fixes the data directory if you ever uninstall the last mod that wrote a particular file
WryeBash actually does have this feature. If you have mod A, install mod B that overwrites a file X from mod A. And then uninstal mod B, Wrye Bash can restore the mod A version of file X. It's called Anneal and requires that you installed all your mods via BAIN installers.
Thing is: MO's method of handling this sort of thing is way better as it gives the user more control over the whole process and doesn't make you dependant on the mod author having set up a BAIN installer correctly.

Herrvillain posted:

When you get into an argument with Arthmoor about something and you continue to press him, provide facts and it because increasingly apparent that Arthmoor is wrong and has no idea what he's talking about, he'll either just stop responding or make increasingly absurd claims until it stops being worth your time to try and refute him. Basically he's the kind of person who refuses admit he's wrong. Ever.

GunnerJ posted:

So for VFS, I'm going to guess that he got a complaint about his mod that might not have been related to a problem with his mod but was related in some vague way to a "missing file." A mutual failure of communication (misunderstanding on the user's part, hostile suspicion by default on arthmoor's part) led to the conclusion that it was MO's fault. This is just a guess though.
Arthmoor's "Skyrim is intended to load a BSA alongside it's ESM/ESP file." statement is nonsense.
But when you have MO unpack the contents of a BSA, the resulting loose files' file priority is going to be determined by MO's installation order and no longer by the plugin loadorder.
I've seen a lot of people not realize that they have to pay attention to the installation order and this can cause issue. For example a lot of people had a problem where dragons don't give souls and blamed it on the unofficial patches, when in reality they messed their file priority (or were using an incompatible mod, but generally it was a file priority problem).

In the interest of being fair: It is frustrating when people come to you with problems and bugs that are completely outside of your control. When the dev of xEdit sighs and wishes people would stop pestering him about how to use xEdit with MO because he doesn't use MO and so doesn't know, I totally understand him.
Arthmoor on the other hand had a hateboner for MO from the moment Tannin released the first version. And it has become very apparent the guy has no idea what a virtual file system is or how it works. I honestly think it just boils down Arthmoor not wanting to admit he's wrong.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 18, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

You probably don't need some "Warmth" value from Frostfall, you need it to recognize the lined-armor as being warmer.
I came across this in Frostfall's readme: "Armor from mods is granted Standard exposure protection by default if the user is using the W.E.A.R. system. The user can then change the Exposure Protection value themselves using Survival Skills, Inspect Equipment. No direct support is needed." You could try digging in Frostfall and see how that "Inspect Equipment" does its thing. You could also try PMing Chesko on the Nexus with your idea and ask him where to start.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't use Frostfall, so I don't know how it works.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 18, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Raygereio posted:

But when you have MO unpack the contents of a BSA, the resulting loose files' file priority is going to be determined by MO's installation order and no longer by the plugin loadorder.

I'm not disagreeing with you but isn't it priority order, which is by default installation order but not fixed as such? because MO makes it real easy to see when a file is overwriting another one and I've been troubleshooting that forever by dragging and dropping in my priority list

I basically just want to make sure I have it right

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

MO also has a thing that attempts to fix the mod order so it matches load order. It pops up whenever you sort out the load order I think? I can see being annoyed when users complain about problems caused by this, but the takeaway isn't that the way MO does things is bad, just that it's complex and you should really understand how to use it before you use it. No one ever claimed that it was the easiest thing to learn.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you but isn't it priority order, which is by default installation order but not fixed as such? because MO makes it real easy to see when a file is overwriting another one and I've been troubleshooting that forever by dragging and dropping in my priority list
I basically just want to make sure I have it right
When I say "installation order" I meant the list of your installed mods on the left side of MO's interface. Which you can set, just like plugin loadorder. The thing I was getting at is that especially in the early days of MO, a lot of people didn't seem to realize that MO introduced the new concept of an installation order.
Normally the order in BSAs are loaded is the same as the corresponding plugins' loadorder. In MO you can have plugin 1 load after plugin 2. But have BSA 2 load after BSA 1. Which like I said, can cause problems if you're not aware that's happening and when files from one mod's BSA are meant to overwrite those from another.

That is, I was still on WinXP until a month ago. So I was using an older version of MO. Maybe Tannin overhauled some of that behaviour?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I wouldn't know, I still use MO 1.2x because 1.3 refuses to launch on my system. As far as I know I have all the prerequisites but it just silently fails to launch every time. Since 1.2 isn't broken, no need to fix it :shrug:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

how anyone plays frostfall for more than an hour amazes me

it's a tedious minigame that puts a lot of strain on your game and adds a lot of crap you will never use. MAYBE if you're going full on realistic needs/diseases and want that added challenge, but Hypothermia does the same thing except doesn't add 10000 wool blanket scraps to lug around.

e: chesko fight me irl

Frostfall was fun for about 5 minutes.

I also got the Alternate Start mod and chose the wrecked ship on the northern coast. You start naked on ice cold water, about 100m away from the ice cold shore.

I got to Dawnstar after freezing to death 4 times and decided to never adventure again.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I love Frostfall but I can recognize that it is not for everyone. It adds a bunch of stuff that might not be your idea of a good time. But what I like about it is that it makes Skyrim being a cold place really matter, even if in practice it just means thinking about starting a fire just to keep warm or wrapping yourself up in a cloak. That little addition to my thought process as a player is "immersive" to me, at least.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

Raygereio posted:

WryeBash actually does have this feature. If you have mod A, install mod B that overwrites a file X from mod A. And then uninstal mod B, Wrye Bash can restore the mod A version of file X. It's called Anneal and requires that you installed all your mods via BAIN installers.
Thing is: MO's method of handling this sort of thing is way better as it gives the user more control over the whole process and doesn't make you dependant on the mod author having set up a BAIN installer correctly.

Relies on manifests included in the BAIN packages, I take it?

Seems like this is kind of poorly documented, aside from telling you what it's meant to do in the Wrye Bash readme. I went looking for how it works, how the installers are structured, or what BAIN even actually stands for, and eventually found a bug report on Git Hub where Arthmoor was complaining that Auto-Anneal doesn't function in WB as of 2014. A fix was made in May of this year that may get it working again, but nobody in the thread has confirmed. All of which is sort of funny in a way.

Edit: I had guessed Bash Installer, and it looks like that's what it is. Yeah, MO's solution is better. Works for everything and doesn't require everyone use a particular format that had to be invented, at least in part, just to solve the issue.

Herrvillain fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 18, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
So I should check out Hypothermia Plus for colder areas to be more challenging?

Kinda going for a Skyrim version of ARK: Survival Evolved, but don't want to make it too tedious.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 18, 2016

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Herrvillain posted:

Relies on manifests included in the BAIN packages, I take it?

Seems like this is kind of poorly documented, aside from telling you what it's meant to do in the Wrye Bash readme. I went looking for how it works, how the installers are structured, or what BAIN even actually stands for, and eventually found a bug report on Git Hub where Arthmoor was complaining that Auto-Anneal doesn't function in WB as of 2014. A fix was made in May of this year that may get it working again, but nobody in the thread has confirmed. All of which is sort of funny in a way.

Edit: I had guessed Bash Installer, and it looks like that's what it is. Yeah, MO's solution is better. Works for everything and doesn't require everyone use a particular format that had to be invented, at least in part, just to solve the issue.

This is not quite correct. Wrye Bash doesn't need BAIN manifests or specially built archives, it just inspects the contents of a mod archive and as long as the archive is organized properly to drop into the data folder it catalogs the files and works out any conflicts.
It does this by building a table that lists all of the files installed in the game folder every time you start Bash, so on a large install it can take several minutes for all the files to be catalogued and conflicts identified, etc.

This is where Wrye Bash starts to break down, especially when you are trying different graphic packs. The time it takes to add and remove loose files, and pluck individual files from an archive etc really builds up.

I still use Wrye Bash for my Oblivion install (since MO has major problems with Oblivion), but switched to MO for Skyrim and never looked back.

Incidentally you can cut down on the time it takes by packing your files in BSA's. So now you know why Arthmoor loves them so much. They cut down on his precious Wrye Bash's loading times.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
That makes more sense. From my earlier reading on GitHub it sounds like it would CRC all the drat files and search for them by name and CRC in every installed archive Bash is aware of, or check each archived file to see if it's in the game folder. (Arthmoor briefly remarked that a change in CRC should have affected the Anneal feature, anyway.) I can see how that could get to be a horrible drag, regardless of the direction it's approached from.

I used Bash for Oblivion too, but I pretty much installed mods according to one mega-pack/guide, played through it once, and never touched it again.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Arthmoor is a talented modder.
He has a toxic personality. Basically a virtual file system is the devil, and you should always install mods manually or use Wyre. Make sure you actually put them in the Data folder! Never ever extract your .bsa files. You'll break things. Do you know how many times Arthmoor had to do tech support for someone who installed his files and extracted the .bsa file manually?
Probably once, when he did it himself as he's against Mod Organizer and think any mod manager is upsetting his vision.
At least he doesn't go "Steam Workshop only".

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Source your quotes.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Agents are GO! posted:

Source your quotes.

Speculation because of the way he seems to be toxic against Mod Organizer and extracting .bsa files.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Someone on reddit compiled info about SSE & mods.

quote:

Note that most of the following has now been confirmed by either a Bethesda employee or by mod authors that are in the beta. SSE is really an upgrade for consoles; very little information has been released on what it means for PC players, and we won't get the full picture until release (really a few days after release, as it will take time for the community to process information and discuss what it means for us). But we now have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen thanks to the beta and some anonymous sources who have come forth with this information.
  • Any mod with a .dll will need to be redone. SKSE, ENB, and any mod with an SKSE plugin will have to be entirely rewritten. How difficult and time-consuming this process will be is unknown. Our current best case scenario is a few weeks; worst case may be up to a year or more (based on how difficult F4SE has been to make).

• "Existing mods will mostly work (they need to be resaved in the new CK)" - This apparently means that any mod that is an esp simply needs to be reloaded into the creation kit, then saved. This process could also be done with a TES5edit script, which I'm sure mator will make for us as soon as we have enough information for him to do so.
Trainwiz was given access to a SSE beta, and he says here that for his mods (which include meshes, textures, and complex scripts) really were as simple as "save in the new CK, play!". This is excellent news for PC modders - while we still won't have the dll mods above (which are a core part of any modlist), you'll still be able to piece together something quite good on your own... even if the mod authors do not update the mods, you can edit them for personal use as long as you do not share the resulting files.
  • Scaleform (the UI) has updated from 10 to 15 (according to the version in the swf files). However, this is not as bad as it could be. The sources say "the UI part didn't seem to have changed much. the old skyui inventory swf just worked out of the box" - which means it's actually possible for a (mostly broken) SkyUI to be out very quickly, and easier for other UI mods to update as well (of course SKSE will still need to be updated for a fully functional one).

• The Havok SDK did change. This has broken all old animations, but old nifs still work. HDT will also need to be even-more-redone-from-scratch if it's still relevant.

• Nif and texture format did change. Old nifs and textures work just fine, but will have much worse performance than the new version. If you are using old SMIM for example it would have a massive performance loss compared to one with updated nifs. nifs and textures still need to be converted individually; while it can be done in the CK there is no batch function for it.

• BSA format changed, different header format and faster compression. This means that old BSAs will need to be repacked in the new CK (part of the "load into new creation kit, save" process).

• As far as scripts (papyrus) there weren't any structural changes - the most that seems to have changed is maybe performance of the VM. There's two different reports on the process of updating old scripts. One author reports they updated their esp, but didn't touch the scripts at all, and the mod works fine in game. Another one reports this: "we're currently assuming that old .esp plugin and old papyrus scripts are working if simply copy/pasted, but as soon as you save the .esp in the new CK, the old scripts won't work anymore" - what this means is that when you copy the old esp and scripts in, it works and CK doesn't throw an error, but if you update the esp format without recompiling the scripts, the scripts don't work at all anymore and have to be recompiled in order to work. So far I haven't heard enough reports to say which is more likely to be true, although the first is more consistent with Trainwiz's post above.

• Expired commented on the updating of SKSE and SkyUI here. That's an essential read for anyone who's curious about what's going to happen, and still our best guess on how that update will go.

• Overall the engine is more like Skyrim's engine than FO4 engine. It is updated, but it is not the FO4 engine. Version numbers are like halfway between Skyrim versions and FO4 versions for things like nif format.
A few more points: Boris (ENB dev) gave his take here. So ENB won't be as cool as it is for Skyrim (old edition). But it may not be needed either; the lighting in FO4 looks pretty nice even without ENB. Nexus shared their plans here. ModPicker, for its part, will almost certainly make a separate section for SSE mods.

The bit about Scaleform is some good news since the main guy behind SkyUI already said he wasn't interested in updating SkyUI for SkyrimSE.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 19, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jesus, everything related to HDT physics just got rekt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

Jesus, everything related to HDT physics just got rekt.

oh noes my waifu's boobs wont bounce anymore what will we do the horror the horror

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

oh noes my waifu's boobs wont bounce anymore what will we do the horror the horror

I was honestly pretty impressed by the cloak flowing (fluttering?) and equipment jostling animations, which I guess made very slow progress because boob physics were a higher priority. :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The horse physics are pretty good too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

GunnerJ posted:

I was honestly pretty impressed by the cloak flowing (fluttering?) and equipment jostling animations, which I guess made very slow progress because boob physics were a higher priority. :v:

Progress was slow for HDT all around because it was like one Chinese guy making it, but clothing physics was the first thing he showed HDT off with. Made a poofy concept dress for it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
In this instance I'm quite glad waifu boobs are a thing because that wilk drive development of the new physics that need to be redone.
I'm not even joking either.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The uncomfortable fact is that some of the most daring innovations in Skyrim modding as well as obscure and useful discoveries seem to be driven by the desire to turn it into a virtual sex playground for 'slab posters' perversions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This applies to technology advancement in general tbh

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there any explanation for FPS drops when your CPU and GPU aren't being taxed? If I run the game with the HD texture DLC and an ENB I net 55~ FPS when looking at Riverwood from the bridge, but I'm only getting something like 30% GPU usage. If I install more 2K texture packs, with parallax, I've hit 66% GPU and 51% CPU usage, but I'm getting 40~ FPS while looking at Riverwood. My VRAM isn't going beyond 2300 MB, and I'm using ENBoost and the SKSE memory patch. I don't really get why the game is lagging, or why installing 2K texture packs over preexisting 2K textures is reducing performance.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

Is there any explanation for FPS drops when your CPU and GPU aren't being taxed? If I run the game with the HD texture DLC and an ENB I net 55~ FPS when looking at Riverwood from the bridge, but I'm only getting something like 30% GPU usage. If I install more 2K texture packs, with parallax, I've hit 66% GPU and 51% CPU usage, but I'm getting 40~ FPS while looking at Riverwood. My VRAM isn't going beyond 2300 MB, and I'm using ENBoost and the SKSE memory patch. I don't really get why the game is lagging, or why installing 2K texture packs over preexisting 2K textures is reducing performance.
it's depressingly normal. Skyrim doesn't work very well.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

This whole upgrade thing sounds like a huge pain in the rear end, better be worth it.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I don't know where else to post this so bear with me.

I bought Skyrim back in the day, but never had time to really dig into it. I'm looking forward to the updated version. I want to play an archer, is there a good guide for how to not suck at it in the early game?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

IMB posted:

I bought Skyrim back in the day, but never had time to really dig into it. I'm looking forward to the updated version. I want to play an archer, is there a good guide for how to not suck at it in the early game?

Here's what you need to know about being an archer in skyrim.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Davoren posted:

This whole upgrade thing sounds like a huge pain in the rear end, better be worth it.

I'm anticipating better performance (Fallout 4's engine is much, much better than any iteration of ~~~gamebryo~~ we've seen to date) at the risk of being a few months without a few critical mods.

I'll probably play the game again (and maybe finish?) it vanilla once through for the new version, and then get back to the modding game, which as we all know is the actual game.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Trainwiz was given access to a SSE beta, and he says here that for his mods (which include meshes, textures, and complex scripts) really were as simple as "save in the new CK, play!".
This is literally all I care about. I decided to do one last, big script heavy mod install - with tons of wild gameplay changing SKSE required mods. Rather than find compatibility patches for some of Trainwiz's mods, which I still haven't gotten around to, I elected to just leave them (and a handful of other quest only mods) until SSE and just use them as some new content for an otherwise Vanilla playthrough.

turn off the TV posted:

Skyrim's shadow engine is strictly single threaded. You will hit instances where you drop frames (in some particular instances, down to the 20s) despite CPU usage being sub 50%, and often even lower GPU usage.

Fortunately, these instances are very few and far between. Additionally, they are typically only occur in instances where the frame drops don't really matter. For example, standing at the top of Dragon's Reach stairs and looking down over whiterun is usually a good way to hamstring framerate - but nothing ever happens right there, so the need to maintain framerate is irrelevant.

The only trouble spot I ever personally have is in Solitude with Legacy of the Dragonborn installed. That usually brings me down to the 20s, and the impact will be felt at the front door, so it actually becomes a problem when the drat suck heads show up.

Exteriors have very broadly been well optimized that you will rarely see drops below 60. I don't know what could be causing you trouble in Riverwood, but you're looking at a "town" in it's entirety. It's probably just one of those odd instances where some LOD and the shadowing engine gets hit. Make your way over to whiterun and see what you're looking at from Dragon's Reach. If you're still 30+ it's just something you'll have to deal with. If you're looking at sub 30, you might still be able to deal with it, but some mods may make some spots especially frustrating.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

IMB posted:

reduce the difficulty, increase after a while

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I had such great luck with my mod list and now my main save crashes every time I go in the vicinity of my character's home. :saddowns: on the whole though I guess I'm surprised it took this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A Game of Chess posted:

I had such great luck with my mod list and now my main save crashes every time I go in the vicinity of my character's home. :saddowns: on the whole though I guess I'm surprised it took this long.

U got a crash log m8