Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scyther posted:

Yeah but there's *describes simple most straightforward decision that even a monkey could consistently make in an optimal fashion* so there's strategy!

I know this is downright maturbatory but god drat do I hate the whole "you make a decision on your turn ergo strategy" thing that Bad Players seem to be infatuated with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
For those of you who ordered wave 1 of Mechs vs. Minions, my order status is still showing as Processing and I haven't received a tracking number, but UPS alerted me that a 15.5lb package from Riot Games is being delivered tomorrow.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Lunsku posted:

Looks like the next hottest board gaming kickstarter is here!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/bears-vs-babies-a-card-game

How does this not just snowball into a first to assemble their stupid creature wins because no one can ever catch up again?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I assume after every battle creatures get discarded. In any case this looks absolutely terrible and it's still going to raise 10 million dollars. gently caress this world.

e:

quote:

I wanted it to be more of a deck-building game, such as Dominion or Hearthstone, but without all the complexity.

Mission accomplished, I guess?

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 18, 2016

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Oh Great Goon Hivemind, what is Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn like and is it any good? Is it worth trying or should i just skip it?

I've enjoyed it but it can be a bit fiddly in the rules. Also, it has been hard to get copies of the expansions. I think it depends on if you have someone to play it with, or a local meta.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Here's a review of another light wargame - 1812: the Invasion of Canada. The actual War of 1812 was a muddled, second-rate North American phase of the Napoleonic wars in Europe. It involved a very small number of combatants and in the end it changed almost nothing. Nonetheless it's a cherished part of US history and a surprising number of wargames cover it.

This treatment of 1812 features five factions divided into two sides: the US regular army and US militias vs. the British, Canadian militias, and native Americans. You can assign each faction to a player if you have five at the table.

Factions on the same side can move one anthers' troops around, which is an entertaining design decision. On the one hand, it means that you and an ally can coordinate and share resources; on the other hand it may mean that by the time your turn comes around an incompetent partner may have lost most of your troops, or moved them to a desolate corner of Quebec. The game determines turn order randomly, per player, so you have some capacity to plan but it's not perfect.

Combat is another highlight - each faction gets its own set of dice, which have a different mix of hits, routs (which apply to your own units, not the opponent), and blank faces. British regulars hit on three out of the six faces of the die and never rout; militias hit on two faces and rout on two faces, etc. This turns combat into an appropriately 1812-style disaster - vastly superior numbers of militia may carry the day easily or may panic and flee. Generally it's bloody but not too unpredictable. Superior numbers generally win. Combatants get the first shot when in their own territory, which is an admirably simple way to handle offense/defense bonuses.

You roll dice equal to the number of units you have in the battle, but with a tight limit - British and American regulars never roll more than two dice per turn, other factions get three. You generally get to assign casualties to your own units so each battle is a bit of a puzzle where you are trying to decide if you want to take the hits on regulars or militia.

Say you have three militia and five regulars in the battle. This means that you can roll five dice total, three militia and two regulars. So you can lose three regulars before you have to reduce the number of dice rolled, while each militia lost will immediately remove a die. Troops of all kinds are plentiful so the decision is actually less simple than it might seem - it's not that regulars are inherently and universally more valuable than militias (probably some pretty simple statistics would reveal an optimal way to distribute losses, but this is really not that kind of game). Indians, uniquely, have the ability to use a blank face to retreat into enemy territory, which can make it very difficult to chase down and destroy warbands.

Game length varies based on when factions play treaty cards - if both factions on a side play their treaties the war ends and you decide the game based on who holds more enemy territory. You're required to play a movement card every turn, and the treaty cards count as movement, so again it's possible to plan around the treaties but you don't have total control.

Generally the game seems chaotic. In the games I've played territories have gone back and forth several times, battle lines have remained fluid, and units have been able to maneuver deep into enemy territory.

Everything about 1812 is easy to understand, fast moving, and entertaining. It's hard to say how much strategy is involved, or how deep the game is. Chance determines a great deal. The individual decisions - where to move (you get very limited moves), what to do in battle, when to use powerful event cards - are rarely obvious, so from moment to moment the game is always compelling. I'm impressed that they've managed to make so much of an extremely light ruleset, though again I'm not sure how it will do over many plays.

Gilgameshback fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 18, 2016

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Radioactive Toy posted:

For those of you who ordered wave 1 of Mechs vs. Minions, my order status is still showing as Processing and I haven't received a tracking number, but UPS alerted me that a 15.5lb package from Riot Games is being delivered tomorrow.

That's great to hear, I'm still in processing too and was starting to stress since the ordering process was so jacked. Hopefully my Wave 1 version will be here in the next few days!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Lump Shaker posted:

I've enjoyed it but it can be a bit fiddly in the rules. Also, it has been hard to get copies of the expansions. I think it depends on if you have someone to play it with, or a local meta.

My local meta is choosing the voodoo lady and then explaining for the thousandth time that yes, that's how her dolls work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LudiCreations had their cashbox stolen at Spiel. Their response: to immediately create a microgame based on the event and put it on Kickstarter. Cost is $5, or effectively free if you pledge to buy one of their other micro/minigames.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Jedit posted:

LudiCreations had their cashbox stolen at Spiel. Their response: to immediately create a microgame based on the event and put it on Kickstarter. Cost is $5, or effectively free if you pledge to buy one of their other micro/minigames.

Are any of their other microgames any good?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

foxxtrot posted:

Are any of their other microgames any good?

[Microfilms] is a unique little hidden role/deduction game with hidden teams. They Who Were 8 is also really unique in that there's a single winner by the end, but the only way for a player to win is by other players helping them (in an effort to help themselves; a shared build-up that leads to one person on top). The former is available now, and the latter is coming next year from Passport (assuming you're in North America, otherwise TWW8 is already available elsewhere I believe).

The third game offered, Kune vs Lakia, is one I don't know anything about, but it looks really cute on the BGG page, so I'm in for that one.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Countblanc posted:

I know this is downright maturbatory but god drat do I hate the whole "you make a decision on your turn ergo strategy" thing that Bad Players seem to be infatuated with

Bad players also like to play games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I made a space for all my GMT games.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
It's sad that the space for many of those games doesn't seem to be on the table :(

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Oh Great Goon Hivemind, what is Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn like and is it any good? Is it worth trying or should i just skip it?

Well, every game is worth trying. I played it once and had the death powered guy playing against a witch who summoned dreams and things. The only strategy I could think of was blowing up and resurrecting my own troops every game - I didn't have enough creatures to attack. Then the other player milled me and I was so bored I conceded. My friend played a different game and enjoyed it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Radioactive Toy posted:

speak of the devil, I just went to check my mail and saw a shipping notification

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I made a space for all my GMT games.

Have you ever been able to play 1805: Sea of Glory? I would love to hear impressions from someone who has actually played it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Lunsku posted:

I never realized until now that I wanted a (not (very) poo poo) Kobolds Ate My Baby board/card game, kinda like how Paranoia had the Mandatory Bonus Fun Card Game way back when.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gilgameshback posted:

Have you ever been able to play 1805: Sea of Glory? I would love to hear impressions from someone who has actually played it.

I have not, and I listed it for auction today on BGG and someone's gonna be taking it off my hands. I'm at the point where I want to severely downsize my collection, and if down the road I end up playing someone else's copy and falling in love with it, I'll pick it up again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would've taken it off you! Never heard of it and looking it over I like what it's talking about. Thankfully it's like $25 on the secondhand market which is unheard of for all the GMT games I want.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

al-azad posted:

I would've taken it off you! Never heard of it and looking it over I like what it's talking about. Thankfully it's like $25 on the secondhand market which is unheard of for all the GMT games I want.

CSI has it for $23 new, FYI, 4 copies left. If there's other stuff on my for trade list (https://boardgamegeek.com/user/malloreon) you're interested in, I just re-did that and my wishlist and I am ready to move some games.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

For what it's worth I looked at picking it up at one points and the reviews on BGG weren't stunning.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

For what it's worth I looked at picking it up at one points and the reviews on BGG weren't stunning.

Well, it's a game about naval blockades, one of the most tedious activities in human history, so I'm willing to bet that it's an acquired taste.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As a veteran salt naval activity in that period interests me more than infantry combat with boring muskets.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

al-azad posted:

Thing is it's not clam it's clams, crab is crabs, stone is stones. It goes from being generic to specific.

I'd rather just make my own cards in that case.

There's still plenty of other words that don't have that issue. I agree there are "bad" words that don't play as well (g spot for instance), but if the purpose is to bolster your word bank, well over half are perfectly fine.

edit: wrote more words but eh, don't want to continue it. I disagree that the words have less overall associations, but to each their own.

Gzuz-Kriced fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 19, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My initial Feast review is up on BGG. https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23987593#23987593

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

This is confusing

quote:

There’s no adventuring to speak of either.

Outside of the adventuring spots, we didn’t compete much for the other spots.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Radioactive Toy posted:

Mechs vs Minions and Feast for Odin coming the same week :supaburn:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

This is confusing

In context it's not though. In Caverna you get a dwarf and go on a game defined "adventure". In Feast I'm naming the die rolling actions as adventures because they are random.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Radioactive Toy posted:

It's sad that the space for many of those games doesn't seem to be on the table :(

:negative:

As the person who bought Dominant Species, I am also bestowed the dubious honor of being the only one in my group who can mostly recall the rules when we play it once every 8 months or so.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

deadly_pudding posted:

:negative:

As the person who bought Dominant Species, I am also bestowed the dubious honor of being the only one in my group who can mostly recall the rules when we play it once every 8 months or so.

We've played Dominant Species two consecutive weeks :unsmith:....

...because too many people show up to try Cuba Libre :smith:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Nice Review.

I'm also really digging this game and I'm thinking about it constantly.

Will play a few more solo rounds this week and hopefully get a 3 player game going this weekend.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I got an email from Miniature Market that a big sale is starting today. Their site is down getting ready for it. They are touting it as bigger then black friday.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rad Valtar posted:

I got an email from Miniature Market that a big sale is starting today. Their site is down getting ready for it. They are touting it as bigger then black friday.

Nooo but I just spent like... $220 on games this month. And MMP is having a secret sale too!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"Also these are clearly my opinions from my personal experience with the previous games, your experience and opinions may be different."

Nice.

Given that this thread has trouble with the concept, adding that on BGG is a good plan.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

We're 4 missions into Mythos Tales.

So far, it has been consistently OK - no great mysteries, no terrible groaners, just OK. A few good things as compared to Sherlock:

1. So far, no big game breaking editing screw-ups (other than the fact that the "prolog mission" is not a prolog you should do as an introduction, but an epilog that you should do last)
2. The requirement cards (eg. location A gives you "card 1" which represents a key or name or pink salmon which opens up new options at location B) make a lot of sense. Sherlock sometimes had awkward writing problems because there was no way for the game to "know" whether your visit to a place made sense. In this game, the game can have a generic location (eg. the airport) turn you away cleanly unless you have Darth Vader's boarding pass or whatever.
3. The stories are fun

A few problems:

1. Because it's a magic universe where anything can happen, often there's not a great logical path for deducing what furniture may have opened a portal to Narnia or whatever. Oddly, that isn't the problem - the problem is that the game knows this and tries to work around it... by just having people tell you what happened. Often you end up knowing the core story of what happened very early, and spend the rest of your time just sussing out details. It feels anticlimactic, and robs some of the satisfaction of piecing stuff together.
2. The best mysteries in Sherlock were better than what I've seen so far here, though this is perhaps more consistent.
3. We encountered a few goose chase scenarios where we got bounced around for no good reason. Looking back at our decisions it feels like we tried the most logical path to find "Bob" but ended up chasing him for 4 places, while we could have saved some time (and location points) by making a very tenuously supported guess about where Bob might be. Sometimes there's 2 Jugo Juices that you have no way to distinguish, and you just kind of hope you get the right one first. Honestly, Sherlock was bad for this too sometimes.
4. They didn't do a good job of writing "time". I think the best approach to a game like this is to pretend your investigation is happening instantaneously. In this game, sometimes different locations seem to be happening at different times, hurting your ability to reason about where to go.
5. The "time cutoff" system doesn't seem to add anything; the one time we hit it we just pressed through because we were close to the "satisfying reveal", and stopping would have sucked. I suggest ignoring it mostly, and mostly ignoring the points even. We've generally scored well in both games, but I don't think it adds much to the experience (and especially in Sherlock, the "optimal path" was often eye-rollingly lucky). Just try not to "spam visit everywhere" (ie. have a good reason to go where you go), do the side quests, and play mostly for fun and curiosity. The joy of the game should be the setting and writing, so rewarding yourself for seeing as little of it as possible seems kind of silly.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 19, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Lunsku posted:

Stuff like this makes me sad since it's basically a favor to his 'game design' buddies. Meanwhile actual solid boardgame designers barely make ends meet making actual solid boardgames.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

As a veteran salt naval activity in that period interests me more than infantry combat with boring muskets.

I think you will find that muskets are smoothbore rather than boring.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

My copy of Mechs vs Minions arrived today! :) Now if only I could actually play it with some people before Tuesday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

My copy of Mechs vs Minions arrived today! :) Now if only I could actually play it with some people before Tuesday...

How is the quality?