Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

you should be happy about Pandemic Legacy as it'll mean that there will be plenty of leftover card stock and the like for you out there.

Trivial Pursuit has already taken care of this need in spades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Re: Replayability and justifying cost

I think a lot of that is gonna come down to the group dynamic. We definitely have several more plays of Dungeon Lords in us before we have it totally figured out, for example, but we haven't played in over a year because there's usually 5 of us. On the other hand, there used to be like 7 of us, so Battlestar Galactica we've probably played like 30+ times.

I kinda agree that "around a dozen" is the number of plays you can usually hope for before a game fades out of favor with a group, with occasional exceptions like BSG, which was like FFG catching lightning in a bottle. I can't think of any FFG game I like more than Galactica, and I played Arkham Horror like every other week in college.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Shadow225 posted:

I totally get that. The way I'm looking at it: the only games in my collection that are nearing 12 plays are Codenames and Avalon, the latter is probably permanently benched. If I get 10 plays out of a Tragedy Looper, Sherlock Holmes, or Pandemic Legacy, then that's money we'll spent. I just wish season 2 lets you play base game on it after the fact.

Yeah I remember when I brought this up way back. I said I usually aimed for at least a dozen plays each for my carefully selected board games and many people here haven't even gotten that much play out of theirs.

So far I'm 2 plays into FCM. :mrgw: I actually prefer going last much of the time for optimal restaurant placement after ads and houses have been placed.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Smash Up has a F2P digital version on Steam. I'm going to give it a try to see if a computer keeping track of all of the book keeping makes the game marginally better.

edit: nope, but it did confirm that I loving hate Smash Up.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 18, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I remember when I brought this up way back. I said I usually aimed for at least a dozen plays each for my carefully selected board games and many people here haven't even gotten that much play out of theirs.

So far I'm 2 plays into FCM. :mrgw: I actually prefer going last much of the time for optimal restaurant placement after ads and houses have been placed.

FCM was originally my first choice for new board games this year, but I got sticker shock when I looked it up on Amazon, haha. I love strategic management games like that. I'm kinda hoping my one friend who has more disposable income for hobbies ends up picking it up, since we have similar taste in games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

deadly_pudding posted:

FCM was originally my first choice for new board games this year, but I got sticker shock when I looked it up on Amazon, haha. I love strategic management games like that. I'm kinda hoping my one friend who has more disposable income for hobbies ends up picking it up, since we have similar taste in games.

Yeah. I wouldn't get these expensive board games if I wasn't transitioning away from a more expensive hobby. I'll just say that it's nice when magic cards have gone up to ridiculous prices the past couple years. I also got lucky since someone was selling it on ebay for $100 including shipping. Usually those are only for dinged versions but mine was a totally mint box so I guess it sat on his store shelf for a while and he just needed room.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Given my tastes a Splotter game is easily worth any two of any other game I've ever bought, so while they are expensive I guess I'm just one of the people in the target market.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I just preorderd Inis and ordered A Feast for Odin. Too bad CSI won't ship the latter until the former is ready to ship.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Given my tastes a Splotter game is easily worth any two of any other game I've ever bought, so while they are expensive I guess I'm just one of the people in the target market.

Agreed. Splotter games are very much worth the cost of admission.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sure the games are expensive, but that's nothing to the costs of bribing 3 other people to play them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Oldstench posted:

I just preorderd Inis and ordered A Feast for Odin. Too bad CSI won't ship the latter until the former is ready to ship.

Agreed. Splotter games are very much worth the cost of admission.

I just made the same order. Heard nothing but good things about Inis.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sure the games are expensive, but that's nothing to the costs of bribing 3 other people to play them.

:(:respek::(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Also, there's a new Kemet expansion coming that has some more tiles and a new action board with 4 layers on the pyramid. That's pretty much the only info out there about it so far, but I'm ready.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
My Inis is sitting in the cupboard until I can get a game night with only 4 players.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mr. Squishy posted:

The real trick is bribing them to play it a second time :v:

The place where it becomes a Greek tragedy is that the other guy in my group who would definitely want repeat plays is our Analysis Paralysis guy.

EBag
May 18, 2006

One of my favorite aspects of the hobby is that games tend to hold their value well, and I've built up enough of a collection that when some new stuff comes out I can just sell a few older games that aren't getting played and cover most of the cost.

I didn't preorder the initial shipment of Feast for Odin up here in the great north and now it looks like there won't be any copies for a month or two.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friends and I can't get enough of FCM after 2 back to back (last Friday, Saturday) plays. I think it's mostly the refreshing change of theme from wargames on a simple but heavier game.

Also, which 18xx line is the one with more accounting? I have friends who'd prefer that variety if given the choice.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
1830 is robber barons in a poorly regulated corporate environment. 1846 is more "run train companies well".

Speaking as someone looking to try 18xx but haven't actually played.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 18, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can you play 1830 with only three people or should I try to loop in two unsuspecting people to play with my core group?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Can you play 1830 with only three people or should I try to loop in two unsuspecting people to play with my core group?

Any number between 3 and 6 is fine, though at 3 everyone will be flush with cash at the start, so bid up appropriately.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

EBag posted:

One of my favorite aspects of the hobby is that games tend to hold their value well, and I've built up enough of a collection that when some new stuff comes out I can just sell a few older games that aren't getting played and cover most of the cost.

I didn't preorder the initial shipment of Feast for Odin up here in the great north and now it looks like there won't be any copies for a month or two.

Yeah, this is why I don't have an issue with spending money on games I probably will only play a few times a year. The resell market is really good compared to video games and some other hobbies.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, there's a new Kemet expansion coming that has some more tiles and a new action board with 4 layers on the pyramid. That's pretty much the only info out there about it so far, but I'm ready.
Oh poo poo. Between this and Inis, I'm gonna put so many dudes on maps.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

the panacea posted:

Sounds interesting. I'm still quite sad that Warhammer Card Quest got aborted.

We played Warhammer ACG the other night and I got all sad again. That's been my favorite game released in the last year.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I know it sounds like blasphemy, but I'm not hyped at all about another Kemet expansion. I still have used the Ta-Seti board (although I did try out the Black Pyramids) and I'm looking over at my Cyclades set where Titans still hasn't seen a play (but I've at least gotten in Hades) and Monuments is on the horizon...

And that's without even taking Inis into account.

I realize the simple solution is to not buy the expansion, but Matagot is getting dangerously close to FFG for my money when it comes to oversaturating its flagship titles.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Looks like the next hottest board gaming kickstarter is here!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/bears-vs-babies-a-card-game

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just goes to show you that art + concept + brand will take you a long way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm working on a card game that will be better than that card game and make -0.00001% of the money.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Memnaelar posted:

I know it sounds like blasphemy, but I'm not hyped at all about another Kemet expansion. I still have used the Ta-Seti board (although I did try out the Black Pyramids) and I'm looking over at my Cyclades set where Titans still hasn't seen a play (but I've at least gotten in Hades) and Monuments is on the horizon...

And that's without even taking Inis into account.

I realize the simple solution is to not buy the expansion, but Matagot is getting dangerously close to FFG for my money when it comes to oversaturating its flagship titles.

I'm not sure how 2 expansions for Kemet over 4+ years can in any way be compared with FFG pumping out dozens of Descent expansions, waves of poorly balaced Xwings, and overpriced mythos models so shoddy I'd rather use tokens.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lunsku posted:

Looks like the next hottest board gaming kickstarter is here!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/bears-vs-babies-a-card-game

Boy that looks like ... hot unfunny garbage.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Sockser posted:

Boy that looks like ... hot unfunny garbage.

It looks better that Exploding Kittens, but that bar is so low it's buried.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It looks like if you have more cards out then there are babies, you're fine? So the only difference between cards is what part of the body they connect to. So if you just keep drawing torsos but nothing else you're screwed. Yeah that sounds great. Can't wait to get my hands on that. At least he admits it started out as a gimmick (building "monsters) and then a game mechanic was strapped on after the fact.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well, yes. The "game designer" of Exploding Kittens is a hack.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Yeah but there's *describes simple most straightforward decision that even a monkey could consistently make in an optimal fashion* so there's strategy!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Does the box grunt?

Memnaelar posted:

I mean, I don't feel like I absolutely need another Kemet expansion, but Ta-Seti was a very good one. And by now I have so many games that buying an expansion for one I play at least semi-regularly is a better choice than buying an entirely new game. (I will still buy Inis.)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm not sure how 2 expansions for Kemet over 4+ years can in any way be compared with FFG pumping out dozens of Descent expansions, waves of poorly balaced Xwings, and overpriced mythos models so shoddy I'd rather use tokens.

Dangerously close might be a little bit of hyperbole on my part, but I don't think I'm talking particularly crazy. There does seem to be a ramp-up in terms of expansions from Matagot. Yes, Kemet has 2 in 4 years (3 if you count C3K) , but it's on track to get an expansion next year after getting an expansion last year. Cyclades also seems to be going about every two years, with 3 expansions (I'm not counting promos or C3K) in Hades, Titans, and now Monuments.

Does that make it Eldritch Horror? Of course not. But I know I'd prefer that Matagot focus more on new properties (even though I imagine that profits from low-cost expansions probably help keep the lights on).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

foxxtrot posted:

It looks better that Exploding Kittens, but that bar is so low it's buried.

I went to a board game cafe the other week and we played five or six short, casual games, ending with Exploding Kittens. Afterwards I bought Munchin and Dixit having enjoyed them, and my friend bought Exploding Kittens.

gently caress if I know why. It's barely a game. It's barely a joke game. It was seven of the most boring gaming minutes of the day. Trying to work out where the actual strategy or humour was hurt my brain.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Steve2911 posted:

Afterwards I bought Munchin

I'm so sorry. I feel like we as a thread have failed you.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I went to a board game cafe the other week and we played five or six short, casual games, ending with Exploding Kittens. Afterwards I bought Munchin and Dixit having enjoyed them, and my friend bought Exploding Kittens.

gently caress if I know why. It's barely a game. It's barely a joke game. It was seven of the most boring gaming minutes of the day. Trying to work out where the actual strategy or humour was hurt my brain.

Another sweet summer child

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Steve2911 posted:

This post makes me sad

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

please set fire to munchkin and your friend's exploding kittens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Oh Great Goon Hivemind, what is Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn like and is it any good? Is it worth trying or should i just skip it?