Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Popete posted:

It was fun the first pass through but once you realize that you pretty much always see the same events and the AI aren't much different it gets stale. There aren't enough nations and they all feel the same. I felt no reason to go back after my first play through.

Somehow, this is not too different from how Stellaris feels to me in its current form. Sure, you have ridiculous customization options and the visual variety of empires you encounter are immense, but you essentially encounter a finite set of ethos/trait archetypes in the other empires and the game pretty much plays out the same each time save for one of the 3 random endgame crises. I know Paradox will eventually patch and DLC in a lot more depth to give the midgame a lot more variety and unpredictability though.

So far with Civ VI though, it seems that each empire is truly unique and offers a very different play strategy for you. Whether that reduces the midgame drag remains to be seen, but I'll be happy if they can nail it on the retail release instead of needing a couple of expansions to get it near perfect like Civ V did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Beyond Earth's AI was poor, the game was extremely easy, and the balance was non-existent. Coupled with Firaxis hardly patching it at all, and the result was just a mess.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

paperwind posted:

Somehow, this is not too different from how Stellaris feels to me in its current form. Sure, you have ridiculous customization options and the visual variety of empires you encounter are immense, but you essentially encounter a finite set of ethos/trait archetypes in the other empires and the game pretty much plays out the same each time save for one of the 3 random endgame crises. I know Paradox will eventually patch and DLC in a lot more depth to give the midgame a lot more variety and unpredictability though.

stellaris is actually getting its first non-cosmetic dlc tomorrow

which is uh, kinda ballsy of paradox since civ 6 is gonna take all the air out of the room

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Battle Royal starts in a few minutes.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Oh Twitch chat... overweight community manager is one of the first people on screen and chat becomes nothing but <message deleted>

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Looking forward to seeing the AI trip over itself in full view with no distractions :getin:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Do we know what the achievements are going to be?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, why'd you guys have to start talking about the Greenman discount...I just bought Civ VI and I was planning on waiting!

EDIT: Oh hey...and they just handed me my key. Looks like I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I appreciate the pageantry of this AI game

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Man, why'd you guys have to start talking about the Greenman discount...I just bought Civ VI and I was planning on waiting!

EDIT: Oh hey...and they just handed me my key. Looks like I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow

I did a refund and bought it on GMG, spent $3 more for the deluxe. Worth it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I appreciate the pageantry of this AI game

What pageantry? There's just a fat dude and a really, really fat dude sitting talking. Or is the game on another stream?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Brannock posted:

What pageantry? There's just a fat dude and a really, really fat dude sitting talking. Twitch chat is apparently dead. Or is the game on another stream?

When you say dead, do you mean scrolling by so fat it would be hard to read, except for the fact that half the comments are 'message deleted'?

Edit: I meant to say fast, but it seems appropriate, so I'm leaving the typo.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

counterfeitsaint posted:

When you say dead, do you mean scrolling by so fat it would be hard to read, except for the fact that half the comments are 'message deleted'?

I was getting a bug where the only messages displayed were users timing out, a reload fixed it :shobon:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jastiger posted:

I did a refund and bought it on GMG, spent $3 more for the deluxe. Worth it.

Oh, that's exactly what I did; I was planning on waiting for like Summer 2017 to buy Civ VI at all!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Brannock posted:

What pageantry? There's just a fat dude and a really, really fat dude sitting talking. Or is the game on another stream?

I mean that they're talking up each entrant into the battle royale before going. I guess it's not much, but it makes it seem like something more than just a pre release demo

I'm picking Russia to win this one. Second pick Gorgo.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 19, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Gort posted:

Beyond Earth's AI was poor, the game was extremely easy, and the balance was non-existent. Coupled with Firaxis hardly patching it at all, and the result was just a mess.

At least it's not Starships.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm picking Aztecs to get eliminated first because it would be funniest.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
What a waste of time this introduction was.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Estraysian posted:

What a waste of time this introduction was.

That was the point yes

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hills look very very smudgey

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Yeah is this just bad stream quality or is the map really so ugly

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think its a combo of both. It looks like they are running at a low resolution but the stream quality makes it hard to tell, cause those trees are bad too.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Greece has by far the best land and I think I'd take Aztec's start after that.

Spain is boned.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
So did they confirm if you can have your own AI Only Matches in Civ 6? I missed a couple of parts due to rendering issues. I'd love to set up my own match and just watch what happens.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Muted for asking if Sombra was a great general. Firaxis tyranny!!!!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Russia's already got a religion and they haven't even started to pump their unique district

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Russia's already got a religion and they haven't even started to pump their unique district
They rushed stonehenge apparently. But yes I think Russia is really strong contender for a religious victory. They have a lot of land to themselves.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dang La Venta died so fast.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Super Jay Mann posted:

Greece has by far the best land and I think I'd take Aztec's start after that.

Spain is boned.

Greece is going to kick the poo poo out of this match

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Aztecs rock.

Meanwhile Rome falls to barbarians :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Holy poo poo that tile Greece has.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

"Ed, are you going to open the Civpedia?"

:allears:

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Ed opening up civlopedia haha

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The inevitable Brazil/Aztec conflict is gonna be fun.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

whoa wait can city states declare on each other?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Lavra also generates +1 Great Artist/Musician/Writer points over the Holy Site.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Holy crap that Russian settlement location :stare:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
A very aggressive settle on the Aztecs by Russia

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What's the next level up from forward settling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They must have taken it from barbarians.