Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Maybe, but you don't actually know that. Right now they are in government as one of the big 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

Maybe, but you don't actually know that. Right now they are in government as one of the big 4.

I just didn't feel like explaining them since it's not very relevant and currently seems to be a one election thing anyway. This government is still also very much the Center party + National Coalition show when you look at how little influence the TF have actually had on its policy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are you sure you're not just projecting Czech politics onto every other country with a proportional voting system?

It's simple arithmetics. If anything this theory was developed by French and Italian authors who had rich experience with proportional systems causing their countries to fail.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

I guess the thing with Finland is that we have three "big" parties of similar size and our governments have two of the three in it. This means the government policy is almost always a big pile of compromises and generally the smaller parties don't have that much say.

For example, our Green Party that loving hates nuclear power has in the past allowed new nuclear power permits to go through the government while they were in it.

Small parties can be a stabilizing factor as well. In Germany the Freie Demokratische Partei had been traditionally a moderating force that created a continuity between left and right governments. Electoral math is fickle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

It's simple arithmetics. If anything this theory was developed by French and Italian authors who had rich experience with proportional systems causing their countries to fail.

I'm pretty sure it's their voters and politicians being dumb idiots that are causing their country to fail

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't really see how FPTP is getting much justification in the countries its most prominent in atm.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

khwarezm posted:

I don't really see how FPTP is getting much justification in the countries its most prominent in atm.

Changing stuff like that is risky and a huge pain in the rear end. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't and all that. In a political system with little resistance to change someone might get in and just change it but then if another person gets in they can change it right back again so you're not really fixing anything are you? NFL medical system more resistant to change it takes broad agreement , generally not forthcoming without agreed-upon dysfunction.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

YF-23 posted:

This is nuts. :stare:

We have such things to show you. :v: (Actually, I dont think we have anything to top that one)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Changing stuff like that is risky and a huge pain in the rear end. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't and all that. In a political system with little resistance to change someone might get in and just change it but then if another person gets in they can change it right back again so you're not really fixing anything are you? NFL medical system more resistant to change it takes broad agreement , generally not forthcoming without agreed-upon dysfunction.

Most of this post isn't very clear, but PR doesn't intrinsically just let anyone in power completely upend existing systems anymore than FPTP does. And at least with PR you don't get results as garish as the most recent UK General Election which really makes me wonder just how dysfunctional a democracy can get before people start reconsidering what they're using.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, it is the voting systems that caused this, not literally everything else about the political process in those countries.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Those latins are just too hot blooded

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really liking the guy who is crying that czech voters are voting for left wing parties and since those parties aren't in favor of more neoliberal policies to fix neoliberal problems it means they're actually harmful and allowing the right to increase their power

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"if we aren't privatizing everything and creating giant walls to prevent refugees from coming in then the right wing will gain strenght :qq:"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mans posted:

really liking the guy who is crying that czech voters are voting for left wing parties and since those parties aren't in favor of more neoliberal policies to fix neoliberal problems it means they're actually harmful and allowing the right to increase their power

What

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Mans posted:

"if we aren't privatizing everything and creating giant walls to prevent refugees from coming in then the right wing will gain strenght :qq:"

The right wing is taking over europe and all the left is doing is crying about it, a good post.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The left had a good run as long as they kept wages up, unemployment down and foreigners out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mans posted:

no homonazi in czech republic, god bless communism

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

no homonazi in czech republic, god bless communism

Since the Czech Communist party has officially endorsed the North Korean regime as allies in their struggle against enemies of the revolution, I don't know what is better, them or homonazis.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mans posted:

(Insert your Tsipras neoliberal tears img here)

btw can someone repost it in this thread so I can post it whenever Mans posts something?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

btw can someone repost it in this thread so I can post it whenever Mans posts something?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Pinch!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

FPTP encourages consensus, not polarization. European PR systems have much more polarized parties than the US or UK

Not in any country I can think of. Even for the autistic pedant troll routine that's a bad argument

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
This piece of news had eluded me for some reason and is quite frightening:

One third of french nuclear reactors are currently stopped.
Article in French

The ASN is invistigating an issue with the reactors' vessels that was first pointed out in the Flamanville's experimental EPR nuclear reactor design. This is the same tech we sold to the UK, which will be built at Hinkley Point.

And now, a meme.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Not in any country I can think of. Even for the autistic pedant troll routine that's a bad argument

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Article in French

It's actually 12 of the 22 reactors that have been shut down for inspections. The other 10 are shut down for regular maintenance work.

Right now the main concern is that EDF might not be producing enough power for the winter (because cheap electricity means a lot of places have electric heaters) and that France would have to import some at a high price.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

hmm what could have happened to greece to cause that

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A sad and inevitable result of PR :smith:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Cécile Duflot, former leader of the Green Party in France and their only hope to get more than 2% of the votes in the general election (based on name recognition), just lost the party's primary for the presidential election, coming in third.

So somehow the Greens managed to get even more irrelevant than we'd expected.

Hilarious.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Hilarious.

That's somehow a theme in every single country.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

This piece of news had eluded me for some reason and is quite frightening:

Article in French

The ASN is invistigating an issue with the reactors' vessels that was first pointed out in the Flamanville's experimental EPR nuclear reactor design. This is the same tech we sold to the UK, which will be built at Hinkley Point.

And now, a meme.

ehhh not really it's just a moderate inconvenience, worst case the oldest two reactors shut down a few years early and a few others spend a couple hundred million on upgrades

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

ehhh not really it's just a moderate inconvenience, worst case the oldest two reactors shut down a few years early and a few others spend a couple hundred million on upgrades

Most of the ones with multiple reactors on site are still operating one of the reactors while the other is inspected and/or their maintenance is carried out.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Romania is now officially vetoing CETA unless Canada removes visas for romanian citizens

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cécile Duflot, former leader of the Green Party in France and their only hope to get more than 2% of the votes in the general election (based on name recognition), just lost the party's primary for the presidential election, coming in third.

Hilarious.

who won

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Hilarious.

To be fair, while Duflot is among the most well-known Greens, she's certainly not among the most liked (even by the broader public, not only Green militants who voted in the primary).

@ Kurtofan: The second turn is going to be between Yannick Jadot and Michèle Rivasi.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

cue the LBJ quote about Greece. nobody cares about Greece

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I hope it's Gaston.

And now, a meme.

The reality of energy in Germany is coal, lots and lots of coal. And landscapes that look like this:

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Cat Mattress posted:

I hope it's Gaston.

The reality of energy in Germany is coal, lots and lots of coal. And landscapes that look like this:

Yes, and no. Coal is still a big part regrettably, but renewables are making a very noticeable dent. It would be awesome if you didn't have 17 GW of lignite as baseload tough...

I just stumbled into this pretty cool tool some days ago, it gives a good hourly breakdown of the German electric generation mix. Some days renewables make up for more than 50% of the power generated, while at others times it falls to 20ish%.

https://www.agora-energiewende.de/en/topics/-agothem-/Produkt/produkt/76/Agorameter/

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Freezer posted:

Yes, and no. Coal is still a big part regrettably, but renewables are making a very noticeable dent. It would be awesome if you didn't have 17 GW of lignite as baseload tough...

I just stumbled into this pretty cool tool some days ago, it gives a good hourly breakdown of the German electric generation mix. Some days renewables make up for more than 50% of the power generated, while at others times it falls to 20ish%.

https://www.agora-energiewende.de/en/topics/-agothem-/Produkt/produkt/76/Agorameter/
the reality is germany positioning itself under Russia's thumb due to the gas imports. Sorry about your independence. :ussr:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wild Horses posted:

the reality is germany positioning itself under Russia's thumb due to the gas imports. Sorry about your independence. :ussr:

we were never independent tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Morticia makes me hard posted:

we were never independent tho?

Yaes, The Napoleonian Empire never ended, yase.