Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Calaveron posted:

What was the point of the fly

BlackPersona posted:

We get confirmation that dead bugs have ghosts. That's about it.

Edit: ...I also missed the flyghost getting eaten in panel 5, so... that answers the entire question. What a brick joke.

Though I still don't understand why Zarei was so interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
The fly was possessed by Hijack which is one of Zarei's creations; its death means Hijack has now vanished, with the kids and spender now harassing random hapless teachers.

Or it was a brick joke.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My general impression is that for some reason Zarei was confused after coming out of spirit-time and thought the fly was Patchworm, and was afraid of its being hurt.

Why that would happen or why it would be relevant, I don't know.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I think we just don't know what's going on there yet¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I think the point was to show that Zarei values all life.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Fecha posted:

I think we just don't know what's going on there yet¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/788382761505742848

That seems to be the case.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I think the best assumption we can make about the fly is that it was one of the experiments she was worried about.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hey remember when there were hopes poo poo would start happening again once we got out of hitball? I like Zack but this really should have been reserved for the next book.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

No this scene is v good

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
its good but the timing is off is all

like putting dessert after the appetizer but before the main course,

like yeah you can do that and each individual course is still gonna be tasty but something went wrong there

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mazerunner posted:

like yeah you can do that and each individual course is still gonna be tasty but something went wrong there

Yeah, I'm not saying the scene is bad... it's just better for the start of the next chapter, not right now when we were in the middle of actually maybe resolving this one after a year of Hitball.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Well that's a matter of opinion.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Well that's a matter of opinion.

No it's a matter of pacing. And the pacing for this chapter has been awful. We have officially been going on longer than the train and we're hardly any further from where the chapter opened.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
The curse of unedited serial fiction.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Onmi posted:

No it's a matter of pacing. And the pacing for this chapter has been awful. We have officially been going on longer than the train and we're hardly any further from where the chapter opened.

Personally I enjoy the lazy pacing of this small town comic.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

"My opinions are objective, and absolute"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Onmi posted:

Well that's subjective!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
It's ok zack will publish the book with tear out pages and you can order it however you want

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i stand with omni

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

i stand with omni

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean I recognize the daunting challenges of real-time pacing with a longform webcomic and I cannot say I would do better if put in the same situation as Zack, but it's fair to say that Paranatural, as charming as it is, has not managed to overcome them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

majormonotone posted:

"My opinions are objective, and absolute"
I am enjoying this scene. I want the scene to be over due to the previous scene leaving off at a point that has not brought a sense of at least short-term closure. This is reducing my enjoyment of this otherwise enjoyable scene and also the Hijack storyline. I wish this were not the case.

Autistically pedantic enough?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I hope the next chapter straight up involves going to a fireworks factory so people can go all out

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I don't mind if Zach if having some trouble working out the storyline at the school, and is using this scene to give him some time to do that. I agree with everyone else that this scene is pretty good. I just wish it could be an official interlude instead of just being awkwardly lopped into the middle of Chapter 5.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

You guys are gonna look so foolish in a couple pages when Mr. Garcia ambles casually through this date scene, an exhausted Isaac still stalking him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chapters are fake.

Probably the best way to insulate pacing against inconsistencies in inspiration is by having a huge buffer of strips, and that can come at the cost of spontaneity and reaction.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Chapters are fake.

Probably the best way to insulate pacing against inconsistencies in inspiration is by having a huge buffer of strips, and that can come at the cost of spontaneity and reaction.

The best story-based webcomics, in terms of both art/writing quality and consistency, invariably have large buffers. It's worth the cost.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the best story based webcomics are:

1) paranatural
2) uh
3) um.
4) :whitewater:

oddium fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 19, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oddium posted:

1) paranatural
2) uh
3) um.

How soon we forget webcomic juggernaut Dominic Deegan

Real answer: It Hurts.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gunnerkrigg Court is still pretty good and so is Cucumber Quest. I haven't read Unsounded in the longest time but that was also pretty legit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gunnerkrigg is pretty powerful if not as charismatic as paranatural and it's got a multiple-month mwf buffer iirc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oddium posted:

1) paranatural
2) uh
3) um.

Unsounded, Stand Still Stay Silent, Gunnerkrigg, Evan Dahm's work. That's what jumps to mind from my short list, at least.

Paranatural is not a good story based webcomic. It's very funny and energetic and its dialogue and art is top-notch, but it's crap at actually telling a story.

e: in fact, the way it approaches narrative reminds me of Hanna is Not a Boy's Name more than anything else right now, and that is not a flattering comparison.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 19, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Unsounded, Stand Still Stay Silent, Gunnerkrigg, Evan Dahm's work. That's what jumps to mind from my short list, at least.

Paranatural is not a good story based webcomic. It's very funny and energetic and its dialogue and art is top-notch, but it's crap at actually telling a story.

i disagree 👼

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

oddium posted:

1) paranatural
2) uh
3) um.

Demon's Mirror. It even has an ending!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 19, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My MS Paint Adventures avatar and I heard y'all are discussing pacing issues in a webcomic where each individual update is good but the overall story structure is expanding unsustainably, paired with a habit of constantly switching perspectives when action is just spinning up and regularly expanding the cast/scope? I'll try to think of some relevant comparisons...

For real though, one of the challenges of writing is "killing your darlings", meaning editing out self-indulgent parts - even if they're very good parts! - for the sake of the overall story. One of the challenges of the webcomic format to writing large, ambitious stories (as opposed to something more episodic or just serialized arcs) is you don't really have a chance for proper editing passes and the long-term skeleton of the story you sketch out when you first start doesn't give you a good sense of what will work, how long different sections will take, and how your thoughts on your work will change over time. It's not a fatal problem and some authors or stories adapt to it better than others, but it's not unfair to acknowledge it.

One simple editing suggestion might've been to make Hitball the whole chapter and just end it with Hijack escaping Jeff after the game but the Activity Club having no idea where he got to. If they need to track him down in the school and learn more about the teachers, have them do it the next day (and next chapter) to give everyone a breather, because as-is it's tricky to remember stuff that was introduced near the start of this chapter that's meant to be paying off now and in the scenes to come.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dolash posted:

One of the challenges of the webcomic format to writing large, ambitious stories (as opposed to something more episodic or just serialized arcs) is you don't really have a chance for proper editing passes and the long-term skeleton of the story you sketch out when you first start doesn't give you a good sense of what will work, how long different sections will take, and how your thoughts on your work will change over time. It's not a fatal problem and some authors or stories adapt to it better than others, but it's not unfair to acknowledge it.

I mean theoretically you could go back and edit it after it's done, although the star wars controversy suggests this might not be a great idea unless you can bring yourself to not attempt to eradicate all evidence of the original draft.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

The best story-based webcomics, in terms of both art/writing quality and consistency, invariably have large buffers. It's worth the cost.

At some point I think he really needs to take a month or two off updating the comic to create a buffer, which would also give him time to plan things out better. Sure we won't get Paranatural for a while, but when it comes back we won't have missed updates because he was busy with his life outside the comic unless he just keeps eating into his buffer forever.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VerdantSquire posted:

I don't mind if Zach if having some trouble working out the storyline at the school, and is using this scene to give him some time to do that. I agree with everyone else that this scene is pretty good. I just wish it could be an official interlude instead of just being awkwardly lopped into the middle of Chapter 5.

So pretend that it is an official interlude. It's not like Zach is going to break into your home and make you taste the curb if you do.

Also echoing that you should just ignore the fact that chapters exist.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

It might be better to think of the Chapters as part of one Day/Night cycle rather than actual chapters, from what I've seen. So Chapter 1 would be Day 1 (Well, two days and one night considering the parts where the Pucketts move in), Chapter 2 would be Night 1, Chapter 3 is Day 2, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I genuinely forgot there were chapters for a bit and I still feel the pacing feels a bit off.

If writing cute and charming character scenes is Zack's way of working through writer's block then more power to him, but I'm not going to say that this charm doesn't come at the cost of pacing.