Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I believe Horikoshi really likes'em superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone was surprised he was a big Marvel fan wanting to make a Marvel thing for Japanese audiences.

Comics and manga are good.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
he specifically wrote in a reference to the "silver age" at one point talking about all-might

i like contrasting it with one-punch man in that sense

opm is super japanese in its reference base. the main character and the title of the series is even a direct reference to an old popular japanese cartoon.

opm is like a japanese/japanese supperhero show and mha is like a japanese/american superhero show

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They are also both really good shows.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope Hori gets to do a Marvel collaboration like Murata and a few other mangaka got to a while back.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That'll never happen (Much to our mutual dismay, I assure you!) due to insufficient boobage. Why do you think they keep throwing work at Yamashita Shunya?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That'll never happen (Much to our mutual dismay, I assure you!) due to insufficient boobage. Why do you think they keep throwing work at Yamashita Shunya?

MHA has Midnight and Yaoyorozu. Horikoshi is not exactly averse to drawing boobs.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Deku probably just earned a bunch of points.

I'd actually find it pretty interesting if Hot'n'Breezy both failed.

I hope that having a gang of sinister henchmen is one of Gang Orca's powers.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 17, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Green Intern posted:

Well he does have all the socializing ability and charisma of a killer whale.

But on land!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Green Intern posted:

I assumed they were robots.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Green Intern posted:

I hope his gang is called 'The Pod'.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Deku absolutely does not have time for this Dawson's Creek-level Drama

And they're gonna listen to him right now, or he's turning this test around, and there'll be no provisional licenses for anybody!

Just caught up, manga still owns. It would be pretty interesting if Todoroki actually failed because of this, though; it'd be a pretty big wake-up call for him if he lost for still acting like his father, provoked or not. What if pretty much everyone from UA fails, except for Deku and Bakugou? (That probably won't be the case, but I'm thinking in terms of what would make Bakugou the angriest :allears:)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

resurgam40 posted:

And they're gonna listen to him right now, or he's turning this test around, and there'll be no provisional licenses for anybody!

Just caught up, manga still owns. It would be pretty interesting if Todoroki actually failed because of this, though; it'd be a pretty big wake-up call for him if he lost for still acting like his father, provoked or not. What if pretty much everyone from UA fails, except for Deku and Bakugou? (That probably won't be the case, but I'm thinking in terms of what would make Bakugou the angriest :allears:)

the problem with anyone failing is that they effectively get written out of 50-60% of the manga

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Petiso posted:

Never thought I'd see Hot Toys stuff outside of BSS.

Anyway I'm surprised that he doesn't seem to have a Superman.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Never thought I'd see Hot Toys stuff outside of BSS.

Anyway I'm surprised that he doesn't seem to have a Superman.

the easy answer for that is that he has good taste

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elfgames posted:

the problem with anyone failing is that they effectively get written out of 50-60% of the manga

Idk, it's not like they still don't have three more years of hero school with the guys who pass, who still need to learn how to be better heroes. And them all passing would be terrible writing from a pretty good author; they're all more capable than their peers thanks to the Handyman, but Baukugo is the most qualified of all of them and even he has a ways to go.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Petiso posted:

this is some weird optical illusion where every time i look there are more venoms than the previous time

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, it's not like they still don't have three more years of hero school with the guys who pass, who still need to learn how to be better heroes. And them all passing would be terrible writing from a pretty good author; they're all more capable than their peers thanks to the Handyman, but Baukugo is the most qualified of all of them and even he has a ways to go.

Why?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

because it's generic

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

alot of mha's plot beats are generic, that doesn't stop it from being good and well-written

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

where the red fern gropes posted:

because it's generic

And because, in this particular instance, two chucklefucks who attack each other for personal grudges whilst another attack is taking place, thus endangering the lives of both the people they are supposed to save AND the people doing the saving, during a test to specifically measure their ability to save people- well, call me draconian, but I don't really think they deserve to pass that test.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Are we really gonna rehash the "yes it's a generic plot point but he does it so well" thing for the 1000th time?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

more like third.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Talking about how it's a generic plot has become a generic plot

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Everything is generic when you really think about it

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Everything is generic when you really think about it

Even thinking is generic - Descartes already strip-mined the concept of "thinking" way back in the 17th century.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
They didn't attack each other. They are refusing to coordinate the use of their powers. The interaction between the flames and the wind make both powers chaotic.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Remember when Josuke punched a guy a bunch of times? Yeah that was the most generic thing on planet Earth

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Remember when Josuke punched a guy a bunch of times? Yeah that was the most generic thing on planet Earth

Spring Heeled Jack did punching first anyway.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Gilgamesh and Enkidu were punching people way before it was cool

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

They didn't attack each other. They are refusing to coordinate the use of their powers. The interaction between the flames and the wind make both powers chaotic.

Cut wind guy, let todoroki get one last chance to prove himself. Bickering during crises is silly as hell, and should be grounds to redo the test another year.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

Cut wind guy, let todoroki get one last chance to prove himself. Bickering during crises is silly as hell, and should be grounds to redo the test another year.

or they just lose some points and make it up by working together and saving people, like you have to lose 50 points i think before you get cut.

i'm gonna go ahead and say pretty much everyone with a name makes it through

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, it's not like they still don't have three more years of hero school with the guys who pass

But they couldn't use their powers in public when (and not if) the villains that have attacked them multiple times come back. It sure would be great writing if you went from a story moving towards a team of heroes working together to inspire people got cut abruptly down to the Protag and his rivalfriend.

Hell, it was good enough writing that Digimon Frontier decided to do it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

:gonk: that was... Unrestrained.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Elfgames posted:

or they just lose some points and make it up by working together and saving people, like you have to lose 50 points i think before you get cut.

It was my understanding that losing 50 points was an automatic cut, but that the hero association would still only be taking the top X of the passing group.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Elfgames posted:

Points docked for this blunder should be massive. A hero-in-training was almost hurt, for real.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

112 Korean Raws.

https://manaa.space/post/uploader/Lgp4y325kGqRMBGz

Gang Orca doesn't gently caress around.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh, so that was the Digimon series I always faintly remembered.

Anyway, it's good that animes where multiple people get to contribute and do cool things are coming up very easily for people to find. Personally, I'm kinda sick of 'here are your two important characters and the love interest who shouts the main character's name and does little else' being the theme of the show.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
My favorite thing about Gang Orca is that Horikoshi has chosen to interpret the slightly strange-looking eyes of real killer whales as loving Soul Eater crazy eyes all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/112/3744/1