Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Do they have any plans for after the election? Is it just going to be polls and foreign elections? They should get into entertainment.

They will probably do more markets of things like "will this politician do X" or "will this law get passed". If they can pick ones that reel in diehard partisans it'll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

groundhogs day shadow market

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Trash Trick posted:

You joke (maybe), but there's no way they don't do this.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I hope they do a literal "will our coin land on heads or tails" market. I'll be a diehard tails pumper, because tails never fails.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Concerned Citizen posted:

I hope they do a literal "will our coin land on heads or tails" market. I'll be a diehard tails pumper, because tails never fails.

typical tails pumping. heads is scientifically more likely, you know.........

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I'd play both sides flipping shares but it would be a toss up.

Trash Trick posted:

Could shook Nate come up with a model to predict the outcome?

dangling pointer has issued a correction as of 06:20 on Oct 19, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

typical tails pumping. heads is scientifically more likely, you know.........

Technically correct for U.S. quarters, but not by nearly enough to beat the vig.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Trash Trick posted:

I just saw an ad for predictit on facebook

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I saw a banner ad on here. It's catching on! Just in time to become irrelevant!

do you guys not understand google retargeting

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

do you guys not understand google retargeting

it's weird to see predictit advertising at all, even if it is targeted, friendo.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
What's a good thing to bet on also you can't short sell stuff, just buy yes or no?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That new map thing is hilarious to me because it illustrates that California and New York are both being treated as less sure blue than Washington and Oregon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ditocoaf posted:

That new map thing is hilarious to me because it illustrates that California and New York are both being treated as less sure blue than Washington and Oregon.

They’re all straddling 95˘ and flip shades depending on which direction the last trade went.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

I think that has more to do with the fact that PI takes a 5% withdrawal fee than anything else, so buying something like CA or NY for >94c is just losing money

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

dik-dik posted:

I think that has more to do with the fact that PI takes a 5% withdrawal fee than anything else, so buying something like CA or NY for >94c is just losing money

If you immediately withdraw, yes. If you reinvest that, it's a VERY safe 5% gain.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

dik-dik posted:

Yah whenever you buy something on this site, you should put a sell order in at 94 cents. Otherwise you'll start to lose money when it goes over that amount.

Cus thats how math works.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Baddog posted:

Yah whenever you buy something on this site, you should put a sell order in at 94 cents. Otherwise you'll start to lose money when it goes over that amount.

dik-dik's post is how the math works out if you deposit/withdraw money for a single bet. Profit and withdraw fees are more expensive than the flat winnings from buying 95˘ shares. If you keep your winnings on PredictIt, you can go nuts with buying 99˘ shares until you cross the threshold.

I'd guess most people on PredictIt have little interest in reinvesting winnings, causing the common ~95˘ ceiling across the safest states.

DMCrimson has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Oct 19, 2016

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

OAquinas posted:

If you immediately withdraw, yes. If you reinvest that, it's a VERY safe 5% gain.
You're totally right, but I still don't see why anyone would tie up their money in that, instead of one of the 85-90c bets with essentially the same amount of risk.

North Dakota and South Dakota are at 90c and 88c for the Republicans respectively, and Minnesota and Wisconsin are at 91c and 89c respectively for the Democrats, for example.

I think that PredictIt folding up is far more likely than any of those four states flipping at this point, and they'd get you double the return.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Baddog posted:

Can someone elaborate on this? It's been years since I've taken a math class and I want to not be dumb anymore.

There's a 10% cut on profits.
And a 5% cut on withdrawals.

If you deposit $1, invest in a $0.80 option, win, and withdraw, it would look like this:

.95(Deposit + .9[{Deposit x 1.2} - Deposit])

Right? Wrong? Why does selling at $0.94 make more sense in that scenario?

e: was that a joke? Will I always be dumb?

Fitzy Fitz has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Oct 19, 2016

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can someone elaborate on this? It's been years since I've taken a math class and I want to not be dumb anymore.

If you deposit $1, invest in a $0.80 option, win, and withdraw, it would look like this:

He was being both sarcastic and incorrect, please ignore that post.

The math is simple: If you put in money for a bet and expect to withdraw after that bet closes, make sure that the shares you buy are 94˘ or cheaper. If the shares are more expensive, you will lose money even if the bet settles in your favor.

DMCrimson has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Oct 19, 2016

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Your math equation came through weird on my phone, but selling at 94 cents does not make more sense than selling at $1.00. Say that you put $800 into a market that trades at 80 cents and you hold it to the end you will have $1000. You are automatically dinged $20 on the $200 profit, you have $980 in your account. Take that out and you lose another $49. You are ahead $131.

If instead you sell at 94 then you will have $940 in the account, $140 being profit. They will take $14 leaving you with $926. When you close the account they will take $46.30. You will pull out $879.70. Ultimately you will be ahead by $79.70.

They take more money in scenario 1, but only because there is a bigger pool of profits and money there. You should be trying to make as much as possible.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OK, that's what I originally thought. Thanks.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
You all are cracking me up :)

Just three pages back I replied to someone who was pushing the "94 cent rule". Forgive me for being irritated that its coming up again so quickly. Just realize there is a 5% fee on everything you withdraw, a 10% fee on each trade's profit, and taxes on your overall winnings if you are honest and/or make enough in a year to get them reported to the irs. And then do the math for your ROI over however many trades you are planning to do before you want/need to withdraw.

How about we try a better rule, like "Don't deposit money for just one bet and withdraw it immediately after, cus you usually give up a relatively big chunk of your win, and maybe even lose money if you do that. You're loving poo poo with money just stop it".

Or maybe just keep telling everyone the "94 cent rule", because I do like making 6%+ in nearly 100% lock markets that are going to resolve very quickly.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
To be honest I'm kind of hoping the site largely clears out after the election so I can go back to making really easy buys at unfair prices like before the primaries started. I feel like those days may be gone for good, though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Anyone else taking the under on the debate viewers? Cubs Dodgers and Bear Packers should drive down viewership, plus campaign fatigue. Only crazy people are excited for it?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Anyone else taking the under on the debate viewers? Cubs Dodgers and Bear Packers should drive down viewership, plus campaign fatigue. Only crazy people are excited for it?

Yeah, seems likely.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/a-ratings-history-of-third-presidential-debates/308605

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

quote:

While anchors from ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN have all moderated in the past, this is the first time the 20-year-old has been included in the moderator pool.

The article seems to be missing a key word?

I don't have a lot of big bets going on, but I'm

Handshake - yes The optics looked so weird last time, they want to avoid such awkwardness this time. Right?

Podesta - no
McMuffin - no

Just bought NO on the top 3 viewership tiers. as long as it comes in below 70 I'll make a 30% return. The record was 66.9 million in 1992 when there was a significant 3rd party and everything else was a lot lower. Based on games in the Chicago and LA, the 2nd and 3rd largest cities, general fatigue and disgust, not hitting 70 seems like a given.

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Oct 19, 2016

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.predictit.org/Contract/599/Will-the-Republican-party-win-the-US-Senate-Race-in-Wisconsin-in-2016#data

No is currently only 89 cents! Get it while it's hot.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In with:

"Podesta" any mention -- No
"Rigged" moderator mention -- No
Pre-debate handshake -- No

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Only jumped in on the handshake market due to this weirdness: http://www.mediaite.com/online/report-clinton-requested-to-skip-pre-debate-handshakes-between-her-family-and-trumps/

Could potentially eat poo poo pretty badly tonight!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bought 2 shares of "Will a UNLV debate moderator say “lock her up"?" Yes @ $.16 per share because I have 32 cents lying around on that site now.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

handshake no
open borders no

lets go

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

reminder ive lost every single bet so far on the debates. good money could be made just betting against me, in general.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Only jumped in on the handshake market due to this weirdness: http://www.mediaite.com/online/report-clinton-requested-to-skip-pre-debate-handshakes-between-her-family-and-trumps/

Sold my handshake YES for a 2 cent profit. Didn't by NO.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Good enough for me. In on this stupid poo poo.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

In the handshake NO.

Ride together, die together!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

dangling pointer posted:

In the handshake NO.

Ride together, die together!!!

Grats, all!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005