Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Later in the announcement thread they also say that the BTCC Honda is essentially dead and they're talking to Ford about getting a Focus instead.

Which is bad news in one sense but also good that they're taking other options instead of beating on a locked door.

Motorbase are probably a more friendly team than Team Dynamics as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
iRacing deleted the tweet and made the video on youtube private. This is all that remains:

http://www.iracing.com/iracing-partners-with-ferrari-to-create-the-digital-simulation-of-ferrari-488-gte/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

GTE is the class used in WEC, I think the 458 is the Ferrari GT3 car. So it'd likely go into Proto GT if they weren't probably going to do a dedicated GTE series.

I hope they make a legit GTE series, do they have enough variation in cars to do something like that?

Cojawfee posted:

iRacing deleted the tweet and made the video on youtube private. This is all that remains:

http://www.iracing.com/iracing-partners-with-ferrari-to-create-the-digital-simulation-of-ferrari-488-gte/

They probably pulled the trigger a bit early on it, I'd guess they have something bigger planned than simply adding Ferrari into the mix.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 18, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

no bones about it posted:

I hope they make a legit GTE series, do they have enough variation in cars to do something like that?
They could mash something together with the existing GT1s and/or the Ford GT2 but it's more likely they'll sign up another 1 or 2 up to date GTEs (maybe running the 488s solo to begin with).

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
haha come to check on the thread and see how ya'll are going.

Is it still all ovals and Gooncar?

Formula Renault is really cool and I'm finally placing. I've learnt alot about the car, are there other FR people here? Star Mazda seems to have died, then the track changed to an oval and I saw why, nobody raced that week.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ovals are good you bizarrely militant nerd

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Star Mazda follows the schedule style of the real world Pro Mazda series which races on ovals. The Star Mazda drivers are constantly bitching about this despite it being the case as long as the Star Mazda has been around (though iRacing upped the oval count to 3 when the F-Renault came out which I loved). Also the Star Mazda is one of the most fun oval cars in the game so gently caress you.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I did most of the FR season last time around, but haven't much this season because I've been hurt and the schedule suuuuuuuucks. That's probably the most likely series that I'll run next season though. It's an interesting car, I think it's the only road car that I notice aero push on, but yet it has almost no draft effect.

Is there any oval that the SM races on where you don't just brick the gas pedal? I haven't run it in a few years, but I certainly remember that (and that awful awful engine noise).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only problem with the Star Mazda on ovals is that so many of the "regulars" have no idea how to drive on an oval. Iowa is very much a pack race and one of the only things you can do to get ahead is to get on the outside, and then run as low a line as you can manage.

This, of course, infuriates them.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tony Montana posted:

Is it still all ovals and Gooncar?

Vando posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only problem with the Star Mazda on ovals is that so many of the "regulars" have no idea how to drive on an oval. Iowa is very much a pack race and one of the only things you can do to get ahead is to get on the outside, and then run as low a line as you can manage.

This, of course, infuriates them.
Thread still thinks that oval drivers can't drive road and road can't drive oval huh? Always a good laugh.

Uh oh, oval car's at a road course this week, time for some chaos! :finishes2lapsdown,actuallyistheproblemhimself:

Also, in the above scenario, if the car on the bottom has any sense at all, he's either going to switch to YOUR outside, or notice what you're doing and end your race with a well timed drift up the track. If that hasn't happened to you yet, well, mazel tov, it's probably coming soon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh it absolutely has happened, but I have yet to have it happen where the guy who "drifts" up doesn't take himself out at the same time, while screaming about running side-by-side.

And oval cars on road courses are the best loving fun. Fixed trucks at Mosport will get me to hop in those every time, even though I hardly ever touch trucks on an actual oval anymore.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hehe, I have no idea what the thread thinks, Stripe, but I can tell you I and everyone who isn't American thinks ovals are a joke and the reason there are no top American drivers in F1 is because they're all too busy learning how to drive an asymmetrical car and how somehow 2 turns are actually 4. iRacing is an American service but it's not NASCAR SIMULATOR because even those devs that love NASCAR so much know that it's actually just a tiny kinda weird niche in racing that happens in a single country.

Lord Crapulus posted:

I did most of the FR season last time around, but haven't much this season because I've been hurt and the schedule suuuuuuuucks. That's probably the most likely series that I'll run next season though. It's an interesting car, I think it's the only road car that I notice aero push on, but yet it has almost no draft effect.

Is there any oval that the SM races on where you don't just brick the gas pedal? I haven't run it in a few years, but I certainly remember that (and that awful awful engine noise).

So I did one oval with the SM, I tried coming up with a setup myself but the lap times were way off. I spoke to some people and learned that.. maximum tire pressure on one side, minimum on the other. Maximum spring rate on one side, minimum on the other. Keep going through car making this ridiculous min-max setup with no consideration for anything except making the car unbalanced. Then yeah, it was totally insane. No braking, you wouldn't even lift.. just learn the turn in point and just keep it planted for 700 laps or whatever the hell it was. There is no such thing as a 'small accident', any dick doing anything has to involve a 10 car pile up because lets all drive side by side at 300kph for 700 laps and the first to get their turn in wrong by half a millisecond loses! Also the crowd was completely different, gone were the people I'd met in previous rounds and now it was just Americans talking loudly in chat and just dribbling absolute poo poo. I never really understood the KEEP A MUTE BUTTON NEARBY that is always said in these threads, I'd never had people just talking about bullshit in chat before. But these guys didn't give a gently caress, blah blah let me tell you about my weekend. So yeah, it was loving awful, the driving was poo poo, the crowd was poo poo and the setup was poo poo.

So anyway, ovals are not good. It is known. We can talk about other things, but I'm not about to hivemind up and agree with American oval love. Lets move onto the FR and talk about something we agree is cool.

That high and slender rear wing on the FR has to have something to do with it, the lack of draft is refreshing and changes how tracks are driven and raced. Coming from the SM the FR is significantly simpler, it was a bit annoying because I'd just gotten to the point I could set up the SM and then I learned it wasn't the series I was looking for. Moving over wasn't hard though, but learning to race with the car was. The standard of racing is so much higher than anything else I've raced, including SM, people were pulling poo poo in my first FR race that I hadn't seen before. Max Verstappen style blocking on the overtake, chucking it up in the inside and using the downforce to hang the gently caress on and at the front really brutal, longass battles of 2nd place sitting on the gearbox of 1st for 15 laps (like right up there, less than .5 between them) waiting and then finally striking.. which is all very pro and a bit scary. Also the paintjobs give it away a bit, the SM certainly had some cool ones but a grid of FR looks like a F1 race from the 90s.

The level of driving I found hard at first too. You're just going so much slower in the SRF, the pace and the requirement to keep it there. Also the precision, going wide on a corner once is enough to have people breathing down your neck. But it's all very rewarding and much closer to what I wanted out of the service.

A few setup points:
- DF is everything it seems, sure you're generating more drag but that doesn't really matter. The consistency and stability of a high DF car makes it solid to race and with the modern wings you can generate enough that you're getting on the power so much earlier that it overcomes the drag. I tried tapering back to find speed but always found the opposite. Perhaps at Monza I'll review this but so far, more DF is good generally.
- The spring rate is a bit weird, in that the back of the car can be configured a lot harder than the front. Again I wonder if this is a formula rule to promote racing and again this somehow lessens the draft or something. Anyway, by default the front is softer. I found in my last race though by having the front one click harder than the rear (which requires you to put the rear at minimum and the front at maximum) I got better turn in and it was easier to place the car because it was less 'spongey'.
- I found cranking the poo poo out of the bump stops to get rid of the dive underbrakes and reward movement under accel helped.
- I seem to leave the rear ARB disconnected whatever I do, it always seems to grip better.

The races are always fully packed and there are always crazy aliens at the front. I was frikkin lapped in my last race, no accidents and no pitstops, I came 7th overall but the first two were lightyears ahead of the rest of us. When I saw them in my mirrors the pace with which they closed on me made me think I was about to have an accident. Absolutely insane, just to sit behind them for a little bit and follow was one of the cooler experiences I've had with iRacing.

Bascially, the car is awesome, modern and a ton of fun to drive. It may seem a little underpowered at first, but when you get it singing you'll be squeezing on the throttle like a 800bhp beast anyways because you drive it right on the limit. The series is mega-competitive and even practice sessions are a ton of fun because there is always a ton of people in there.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
there are no americans in f1 because that poo poo is for bitch made euros

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

OhsH posted:

:drat:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Tony Montana posted:

hehe, I have no idea what the thread thinks, Stripe, but I can tell you I and everyone who isn't American thinks ovals are a joke and the reason there are no top American drivers in F1 is because they're all too busy learning how to drive an asymmetrical car and how somehow 2 turns are actually 4. iRacing is an American service but it's not NASCAR SIMULATOR because even those devs that love NASCAR so much know that it's actually just a tiny kinda weird niche in racing that happens in a single country.

you're dumb stop posting

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tony Montana is the Oval Guy of the road side of iRacing.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I just grab a set off the forums and fiddle with a couple minor things. I generally went for lower DF than most people so I could get more straightaway speed, but I don't think it really helped.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oval racers often approach road races with glee because its a different challenge. Road racers approach ovals with whining and contempt.

Of course the best people race both because being able to race both makes you a better racer and I prefer this thread when Tony isn't posting loving dissertations in it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OhsH posted:

Remember how Richard Hammond always copped poo poo for being a brit that really wanted to be an American? Yeah.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

#notallroadracers

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

Oval racers often approach road races with glee because its a different challenge. Road racers approach ovals with whining and contempt.

Of course the best people race both because being able to race both makes you a better racer and I prefer this thread when Tony isn't posting loving dissertations in it.

I've checked the thread a couple and if you really want to go back to one liners about gooncar then I am in the wrong place.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

njsykora posted:

Oval racers often approach road races with glee because its a different challenge.

i dont believe i've ever run into that phenomenon

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Just make the old version of tube frame twister an official series, goddamn, it's like the best thing ever. Or at least make it unofficial like carb cup.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OhsH posted:

i dont believe i've ever run into that phenomenon

I'm one, I suck at road races and feel that I don't have the time to devote to learning the sets of corners but I love gooncar because it makes me road race, even with ams, I suck but I hop in to learn. Hell I've even become a better oval racer imo because I learned how to manage and identify throttle off oversteer. That learning experience is solely due to my time in the skippy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Thoughts on all these thoughts.

1) Road is harder than oval.

2) All other things being equal, a road iRating is harder to achieve than its corresponding oval iRating, except at the highest level. At the top level of every series it is exactly as hard as any other series - if it weren't, then everyone would be there. There's exactly as many places in the top 10 of one series as there is in the top 10 of another series. If you don't believe me, hop into a rookies Mazda Cup race in the top split some time and let me know how you do. The best drivers from such unspeakably low series as the Mazda Cup, D series oval, or Kia Cup racers will rip your arms off and beat you to death. Except for the highest level (thinking more SOF here, not necessary just top split), road racing is harder.

3) Because road racing is harder, accidents in road racing are more likely to be on accident than they are on ovals. Only about 10% of oval accidents are actually accidents which are on accident as I would define it. Oval racers aren't as dumb as you think they are, they're just playing dumb. Most oval accidents, while not malicious in nature, are not caused by innocent "oh man I didn't see you" moments or legit spinning like you might have in a road race if you put a tire in the dirt at the wrong spot.

4) The reason an oval setup is asymmetrical is because you're turning only in that direction and the track is slanted. I am not sure I understand why someone would complain about this, while also pointing out that making the appropriate setup changes made their car faster. I actually think it's really interesting. How am I going to make this car fast without simply loading all of my weight onto the right front and having tires that last 3 laps? The nuance in setup building really appeals to me.

5) "lets all drive side by side at 300kph for 700 laps and the first to get their turn in wrong by half a millisecond loses" - wow, oval racing sounds hard as poo poo. Because it is.

6) Chat in oval races is worse than road races. Two causes - 1) No language barrier, it's mostly Americans, so more people can participate because they understand the conversation and 2) There are more good ole boys in oval races. I don't deny this and I have a lot of trouble relating to most oval drivers. C'est la vie.

7) All nationalities are bitch made except for the Japanese who never, ever gently caress around.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Some people take sim racing too seriously, therefore i will continully post about how stupid it all is, while also trying to rile up because seriously, too many words about fake race cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm going to build an oval track around this thread and Tony Montana is going to pay for it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Thoughts on all these thoughts.

1) Road is harder than oval.

2) All other things being equal, a road iRating is harder to achieve than its corresponding oval iRating, except at the highest level. At the top level of every series it is exactly as hard as any other series - if it weren't, then everyone would be there. There's exactly as many places in the top 10 of one series as there is in the top 10 of another series. If you don't believe me, hop into a rookies Mazda Cup race in the top split some time and let me know how you do. The best drivers from such unspeakably low series as the Mazda Cup, D series oval, or Kia Cup racers will rip your arms off and beat you to death. Except for the highest level (thinking more SOF here, not necessary just top split), road racing is harder.

3) Because road racing is harder, accidents in road racing are more likely to be on accident than they are on ovals. Only about 10% of oval accidents are actually accidents which are on accident as I would define it. Oval racers aren't as dumb as you think they are, they're just playing dumb. Most oval accidents, while not malicious in nature, are not caused by innocent "oh man I didn't see you" moments or legit spinning like you might have in a road race if you put a tire in the dirt at the wrong spot.

4) The reason an oval setup is asymmetrical is because you're turning only in that direction and the track is slanted. I am not sure I understand why someone would complain about this, while also pointing out that making the appropriate setup changes made their car faster. I actually think it's really interesting. How am I going to make this car fast without simply loading all of my weight onto the right front and having tires that last 3 laps? The nuance in setup building really appeals to me.

5) "lets all drive side by side at 300kph for 700 laps and the first to get their turn in wrong by half a millisecond loses" - wow, oval racing sounds hard as poo poo. Because it is.

6) Chat in oval races is worse than road races. Two causes - 1) No language barrier, it's mostly Americans, so more people can participate because they understand the conversation and 2) There are more good ole boys in oval races. I don't deny this and I have a lot of trouble relating to most oval drivers. C'est la vie.

7) All nationalities are bitch made except for the Japanese who never, ever gently caress around.

This is all cool and good. I agree with all of it, the stuff I understand anyway.

2) oh I know, I went back to drive the new MX5 and quickly learned I wasn't really interested in spending the time to get competitive again. I certainly didn't rock up and own.
4) yeah I know that, I guess its a bit like the driving. It's just got nothing to do with anything except driving ovals. It's got nothing to do with driving a road car on a windy piece of mountainous road, it's got nothing do to with winning races in any other kind of racing. It's very specific driving skill and setup knowledge that has very little crossover. What you're doing with the car setup you'll never do anywhere else. I guess that's why it frustrates me, because why do I have to learn this weird poo poo if the only place its ever used is something I don't want to do. I suspect that's how many SM drivers felt too. The setup between a F1 car and a WRC car are very different, but there are constants like balance, brake bias, suspensions concepts that all carry over. Then you get to a oval car and I have no idea what is going on.
5) yeah it is. I just don't like it, but I wasn't great at it automatically. It certainly take practice.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Its almost like oval and road driving are two vastly different forms of racing with vastly different challenges, skills, and setups.
Its also like some people favor one or the other.
One thing stays true for ever. gently caress lo206 oval karters.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I wish I had the discipline to run the road series I want to. Instead, I'm in warmup for a D car race because I know the car and I know the track so I know this'll be easy for me. I don't have the discipline to sit down and learn say the Mercedes at Sarthe or the Frenault at COTA, so instead I just drive what I know instead of what I want to drive.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I just drive what I know instead of what I want to drive.

This is pretty much me whenever I join a public session.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That's why I was Mr. SRF for so long, once you're in a groove and there is a steady stream of online racing there then its a comfy, fun place to be.

But the SRF and SM just died, I found it hard to find official races and after practicing for a week in the SM and then was unable to find an official race I just got fed up with it.

FR is kinda the opposite, it's so popular that the millions of super-keen and super-fast people can be annoying and discouraging.

Ha, yes I pay per month for this.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Road races are fun to watch for the battles between one or two people, the skill in learning the lines, and the slow gains over the course of three-minute laps, ovals are fun to watch for the constant speed, hilarious wrecks, and intense battles.

I was watching a road race tonight where someone slowly gained on a -20s leader until being only +0.3 behind at the finish line (with a car that had steering damage), and then an oval race that had 7 people at the front of the pack all within 1s of each other, and a constant battle between them until someone finally bumped into someone else with enough force to cause a yellow at the end.

Chill out and enjoy the races :unsmith:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

Also ovals improved my car control/ability to hold a line with other cars close by, so holy christ stop with the "ovals are good for nothing for road racers" poo poo you're objectively wrong

Also, just stop

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'm a non-American and >90% of my (admittedly short & lovely) iracing career has been done on ovals.

Having said that, holy gently caress bottom split c-fixed is a shitstorm of epic proportions.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh god its such a hard hole to dig out of.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

OhsH posted:

Some people take sim racing too seriously, therefore i will continully post about how stupid it all is, while also trying to rile up because seriously, too many words about fake race cars.

Gonna have to somehow agree with Ohsh on this one. I definitely lean more towards one than the other but both are fun and can help improve driving.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I'll just say that the only reason I hate ovals is because I'm loving horrible at them and will never get better.

And I think being horrible at road (where even alone you can still hotlap and fight the track) is more fun than being horrible at an oval, where you just get swallowed up by the field which just floats away and you're left alone just turning the wheel left occasionally :smith:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Excuse me... :finland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Running ovals improved my road racing. :shrug: