Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They won't do another major plot point dragon break, way too weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Well, there was a dragon break in Skyrim's plot, as in, when I broke the dragon with a hammer

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
For a second I thought I was in the Elder Scrolls thread

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
This thread and Elder Scrolls were made for each other.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

It can't possibly be as weird as the versions in TERA can it?

Yes and no. One of the reoccuring jokes in FFXIV is that they're totally not little kids. Like, absolutely nothing in the game has them acting like kids or anything. But at the same time it's really weird seeing a tiny lalafell NPC cracking jokes about banging all the ladies. Also there's basically two kinds of lalafell players. The ones that find it hilarious to dress them up in full plate armor and go as the main tank, and the ones that just wear a bikini 24/7 and join all the weird lalafell exclusive chats.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy XIV has the worst way of handling high server load I've ever seen: a server that's too full will have character creation access shut down. Which, if you're intuitive, you might realize actually doesn't solve the congestion at all. It does make it borderline-impossible for new people to join some servers, though!

What doesn't help that the server all my friends play on is Balmung, the 'unofficial RP server' and one so impossible to get in on that I've heard multiple strategies and suggested timeframes to try.

Before you ask: yes, of course I'm going to the RP server, I have to see that poo poo unfold. I can't pass up a chance to boggle at an RP community.
You can always transfer from another server even when character creation isn't allowed. It's just an $18 tax to play on the server you want if it's too popular.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Yes and no. One of the reoccuring jokes in FFXIV is that they're totally not little kids. Like, absolutely nothing in the game has them acting like kids or anything. But at the same time it's really weird seeing a tiny lalafell NPC cracking jokes about banging all the ladies. Also there's basically two kinds of lalafell players. The ones that find it hilarious to dress them up in full plate armor and go as the main tank, and the ones that just wear a bikini 24/7 and join all the weird lalafell exclusive chats.

Dont some falafels have the same speech gimmicks as taru do in 11?

poo poo like rhyming, lisps and double speak.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kontradaz posted:

For a second I thought I was in the Elder Scrolls thread

You are, Skyrim probably has the most posts for a single game in this thread.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

They're clearly meant to be a race representing Akihiko Yoshida's artstyle (FF Tactics, the III and IV remakes, Bravely Default), but it just doesn't work for that and the result is just generally terrible.

And yeah, at this point I'm considering the server transfer just because the Halloween event's coming, and it's going to be well and truly impossible to find a window then. Really don't want to, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

They're clearly meant to be a race representing Akihiko Yoshida's artstyle (FF Tactics, the III and IV remakes, Bravely Default), but it just doesn't work for that and the result is just generally terrible.

And yeah, at this point I'm considering the server transfer just because the Halloween event's coming, and it's going to be well and truly impossible to find a window then. Really don't want to, though.

I just kind of gave up playing in general because it was almost impossible find groups of people to play with on my server because of how the content was set up. People were tired of farming the old content, but you couldn't do the new content without doing the old content at least once and it took hours of waiting to get a group together for that poo poo and half the time it would fail because if it didn't go perfectly on the first run people would lose their poo poo and rage quit. The only advice anyone ever had was "Server transfer to the goon server". :shrug:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
oh hey! i broke 1800 days play time.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/0TeXjcZ.jpg[[/timg]

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jesus dude

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
wolfenstein: the new order

i'm playing it on pc, and lockpicking doesn't seem to work for me with mouse controls. i have to have a controller by my side to twirl the right stick enough to unlock doors. so far that's the only gripe i've got.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

frodnonnag posted:

This...this is your replacement for Skype, IRC and whatnot with your closer friends, right?

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Action Tortoise posted:

wolfenstein: the new order

i'm playing it on pc, and lockpicking doesn't seem to work for me with mouse controls. i have to have a controller by my side to twirl the right stick enough to unlock doors. so far that's the only gripe i've got.

It took a while to get used to but you need to hold lmb and see how many green dots pop up, then readjust and click and hold again, if that in itself is not working then yeah not sure what to tell yah.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Polyseme posted:

This...this is your replacement for Skype, IRC and whatnot with your closer friends, right?

pretty sure at this point it's their replacement for friends period

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Polyseme posted:

Logged in time, no anti-idle.

Numerous reasons for the long playtime. Everything from bazaar selling items to looking for time of deaths on multi day spawn windows.

Hell, I'm not even the highest playtime in my linkshell (clan).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Thing dragging all games down, Booklets for game suck now,it's literally two almost empty pages with controls and a website,mgs5 was the worst offender and Arkham city was close behind.

I remember in the good old days when you'd buy a game and pore over the booklet on the way home :corsair: Or better yet if you got a secondhand game you'd check the back of the booklet to see what the last owner wrote in it (usually nob drawings or a dirty phone number)

Also deus ex human revolution, I wish I could change jensens face even just a little bit, I guess it would screw up the cg cutscenes though :/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Thing dragging all games down, Booklets for game suck now,it's literally two almost empty pages with controls and a website,mgs5 was the worst offender and Arkham city was close behind.

I remember in the good old days when you'd buy a game and pore over the booklet on the way home :corsair: Or better yet if you got a secondhand game you'd check the back of the booklet to see what the last owner wrote in it (usually nob drawings or a dirty phone number)

On the plus side, games in general are no longer so obtuse and poorly-designed that you have to literally study a manual just to figure out how to play them.

Though if you want new game manuals badly enough to pay for them there's a subscriptionmystery box for that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Guy Mann posted:

On the plus side, games in general are no longer so obtuse and poorly-designed that you have to literally study a manual just to figure out how to play them.

Uh maybe this is true if you only play one single genre of game or something but overall it is completely false. Making things worse is the idea of "digital manuals", that is, the same info-dense stuff that used to be on the pamphlet on the box is now only accessible when the game is paused/closed so you can dig through a big badly-formatted proprietary pseudo-PDF on your lovely 3DS screen or from ten feet away on your TV.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

Uh maybe this is true if you only play one single genre of game or something but overall it is completely false. Making things worse is the idea of "digital manuals", that is, the same info-dense stuff that used to be on the pamphlet on the box is now only accessible when the game is paused/closed so you can dig through a big badly-formatted proprietary pseudo-PDF on your lovely 3DS screen or from ten feet away on your TV.

More games need to go the Civ V route . The Civipedia is a great feature.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Feonir posted:

It took a while to get used to but you need to hold lmb and see how many green dots pop up, then readjust and click and hold again, if that in itself is not working then yeah not sure what to tell yah.

You can also just hold down lmb and dial in the sweet spot.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Xenoblade Chronicles 2:

Guy Mann posted:

you have to literally study a manual just to figure out how to play

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

spit on my clit posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2:

I wanted to like that game so much more than I did :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wait, 2? Do you mean X? Or is there a 2 somewhere?!

E: XCX is seriously the first game that sprung to mind when I was complaining about digital manuals, by the way

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Oct 19, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wait, 2? Do you mean X? Or is there a 2 somewhere?!

E: XCX is seriously the first game that sprung to mind when I was complaining about digital manuals, by the way

yeah, i meant Xenoblade X

here's another gripe about it: Mastermind is the only class path that looked interesting, and yet its the worst of them

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Feonir posted:

the tutorial prompt said something like hold lmb and move the mouse around until you line up the tumblers. it's only spun once when I did it. not sure if adjusting mouse sensitivity affected it.

I'll try it again when I get home, but it's not too much of a dealbreaker for me

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Speaking of lockpick minigames I started playing some Dying Light this week and opened exactly 2 very hard locks before I said gently caress it and started skipping them because nothing is worth having to go through the trouble. At this point I only bother with easy and very easy locks. I still don't understand why these minigames exist. They're not the least bit compelling. Just open the loving lock if I have a lockpick. Break the pick if you like or put up a timer or have it make noise or all the above or whatever else, just enough with the goddamn minigames.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
In Dying light I just learned what all the sweet spots were because there were only like, 5 of them at very hard.

The only lockpicking game I remember being fun was in Anachronox, because it was an actual game there, not just "do you have patience and basic motor skills?"

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

are mmorpgs required to have some kind of way to tell how long you've spent in the game? i mean, it comes across as less of a feature that you'd actually want in your game, and more like one of those SMOKING KILLS stickers that are required to be on cigarette packs in some areas.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Grandmother of Five posted:

are mmorpgs required to have some kind of way to tell how long you've spent in the game? i mean, it comes across as less of a feature that you'd actually want in your game, and more like one of those SMOKING KILLS stickers that are required to be on cigarette packs in some areas.

A Word to Our Players

Exploring Vana'diel is a thrilling experience.
During your time here, you will be able to talk, join, and adventure with many other individuals in an experience that is unique to online games.

That being said, we have no desire to see your real life suffer as a consequence.
Don't forget your family, your friends, your school, or your work.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

yeah, i meant Xenoblade X

here's another gripe about it: Mastermind is the only class path that looked interesting, and yet its the worst of them

Go blast fencer or go home, scrub

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GTA Online's numerous control systems and menus and submenus are loving baffling. I can't imagine what the manual to that must look like. It relies on pop ups to make it easy to play, but sometimes those don't come up. I only discovered last night that to use melee from a motorbike, you need to hold A (on a 360/bone controller), which no other weapon type requires. I have no idea where you are supposed to find that information. I defy someone to make a sensible, intelligible manual for it, digital or otherwise.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GTAV's controls and documentation are absolutely awful, especially for a game intended to sell roughly nine billion copies. I never did work out how garages and storing cars worked, or whether it was actually possible.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Online saves your cars even if they're blown up. Single player is and has always been convoluted. The oversized garages function as free spawn points for certain cars but as far as trying to keep a car you've found you are suffering from "too good to use syndrome" and for your health I'd advise driving any cars you find into the ground.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Grandmother of Five posted:

And we still have Steam's Hours Played and the like. People just need to know how much time they've used on that thing. Also, for races.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

frodnonnag posted:

This is nearly five years spent logged into a game that came out six years ago. Please seek help.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

This is nearly five years spent logged into a game that came out six years ago. Please seek help.

That's FF11, which came out 12 years ago. I mean, that's still over 40% uptime, but if you've been subbed that long I can definitely see idling to be a bazaar merchant that long while you go to work or sleep or whatever.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Dewgy posted:

That's FF11, which came out 12 years ago. I mean, that's still over 40% uptime, but if you've been subbed that long I can definitely see idling to be a bazaar merchant that long while you go to work or sleep or whatever.

If it have spent almost five years logged into any video game, you should seek help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Higsian posted:

Speaking of lockpick minigames I started playing some Dying Light this week and opened exactly 2 very hard locks before I said gently caress it and started skipping them because nothing is worth having to go through the trouble. At this point I only bother with easy and very easy locks. I still don't understand why these minigames exist. They're not the least bit compelling. Just open the loving lock if I have a lockpick. Break the pick if you like or put up a timer or have it make noise or all the above or whatever else, just enough with the goddamn minigames.

Lock pick minigames are universally awful and the only time they weren't complete poo poo was when Oblivion had the "auto try" function they, of course, removed for every game after it because I guess they want people to just use console commands instead. The best part is when they seem to have think they struck gold with Fallout 3's extremely poo poo "find the one pixel that works" minigame because they've been using it for four games now. And it sucks. I would rather play a round of blitzball for every single chest than have to do one more master level unlock.