Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I at least had hildebrand to do in between MSQ. The two rear end in a top hat scholars that made me travel 20 minutes for a single thing into the deep canyons of where drybone was and tell me that was for nothing was goddamn annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh speaking of, FAU, you're not gonna see it 'till you're 50 or close to 50 but the last two major instances of the 2.0 MSQ (I'll abbreviate them CM and Prae here) have a really bad problem of cutscenes mid-duty where most people doing them in Duty Finder skip the things to get their daily clears out of the way, leaving any genuine newbies to not actually get to see anything

Consider getting friends or goons or w/e together to do a 'cutscene' run for those two; I know you can watch the cutscenes later in the inn but I really enjoyed the end of 2.0 when I went there and I feel it would be a lot worse for having to view cutscenes out of their context

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like Mor Dhona a huge amount, and it's ridiculous to me that it takes so long to get to a really cool and dramatic area.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If you can get 7 other goons to run it at min ilevel with you it also makes them actually moderately challenging again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

vOv posted:

If you can get 7 other goons to run it at min ilevel with you it also makes them actually moderately challenging again.

Definitely do this if you can; the length and relative difficulty of the last couple encounters made the final story beats that much more satisfying. Can't think it'd be much fun with the wet fart that the encounters are now

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If you want to be outright trolled with worthless fetch quests, do the ARR relic quest at some point. It's been nerfed to hell and back to make it far less time consuming, but when it was current, just imagine doing some excruciatingly time consuming hunting for [thing] (the quests were made to tide people over for months until the next patch), and the quest giver goes:
"Oh thanks for that but didn't really need it after all, i found a replacement for [thing] in my cellar last night. *throws over shoulder* Well it's the thought that counts, so here's one of my old and grimy wiping cloths that i have literally hundreds of (which is actually an ancient treasure map to a chest guarded by difficult monsters with exactly one of an item of which you need about a hundred), come back tomorrow for my next quest if you wanna have another dirty rag!"

And then at the last step, you find out the weapon you've been crafting for the last 300 hours of game time is actually trash and you need to transfer all the aether or whatever in it to a new better weapon case, so you have to convert it into a special materia with a like 2.7% chance

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I mainly use controller for noncombat stuff like fishing. Just lie down, put on a podcast and press the reel button every time the tugging sound effect plays.

SirPhoebos posted:

I really want SE to do more Postmoogle quests, because those went a long way towards fleshing out minor characters.

I know I'd love to learn more about Spikebutt. There's even a HW group of Moogles that can be trained to deliver the post.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like Mor Dhona a huge amount, and it's ridiculous to me that it takes so long to get to a really cool and dramatic area.

You're on Excalibur now, right? Once you get to Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium, speak up and we'll run you through there nice and slow and full of cutscenes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

If you want to be outright trolled with worthless fetch quests, do the ARR relic quest at some point. It's been nerfed to hell and back to make it far less time consuming, but when it was current, just imagine doing some excruciatingly time consuming hunting for [thing] (the quests were made to tide people over for months until the next patch), and the quest giver goes:
"Oh thanks for that but didn't really need it after all, i found a replacement for [thing] in my cellar last night. *throws over shoulder* Well it's the thought that counts, so here's one of my old and grimy wiping cloths that i have literally hundreds of (which is actually an ancient treasure map to a chest guarded by difficult monsters with exactly one of an item of which you need about a hundred), come back tomorrow for my next quest if you wanna have another dirty rag!"

And then at the last step, you find out the weapon you've been crafting for the last 300 hours of game time is actually trash and you need to transfer all the aether or whatever in it to a new better weapon case, so you have to convert it into a special materia with a like 2.7% chance

One of the steps (Zeta I think?) has the non-Gerolt NPC whose name I forget start talking about spirit glazed Atmas or something before someone else interrupts him to say that that's a stupid idea.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

One of the steps (Zeta I think?) has the non-Gerolt NPC whose name I forget start talking about spirit glazed Atmas or something before someone else interrupts him to say that that's a stupid idea.

I forget if it was Nexus or Zodiac where they're tossing out ideas like "what if we made them gather 100 of each atma, or ten thousand pieces of alexandrite" was pretty goofy, and you could tell they were having fun with the complaints people had about the previous steps. the 2.7% materia conversion prompt with something like three confirmation boxes was icing on the cake.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
for whoever was posting asking for a smn guide: the super spergy one from release has been updated to account for the ruin 3 buff and is now more or less accurate again???

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19oKu4Isuu8rn4v5Lc4gjQhTkXSZFcmnPrcFJWVSKlvU/edit?usp=sharing

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

for whoever was posting asking for a smn guide: the super spergy one from release has been updated to account for the ruin 3 buff and is now more or less accurate again???

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19oKu4Isuu8rn4v5Lc4gjQhTkXSZFcmnPrcFJWVSKlvU/edit?usp=sharing

This is incredible. Are there guides that are this comprehensive for other jobs?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One difficulty I just realized I'm going to have: I did some of the 2.1 story quests before I stopped playing and I have no idea where I left off. Is there a comprehensive list of the pre-HW quests anywhere that I can reference?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah i've been meaning to ask: What was the big Flare nerf that mages got with HW? I missed the entire first year of HW, but as a tank i loved running dungeons back in ARR with two BLMs. Pull everything, quad-flare, everything ded. It was very satisfying to watch.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Oh yeah i've been meaning to ask: What was the big Flare nerf that mages got with HW? I missed the entire first year of HW, but as a tank i loved running dungeons back in ARR with two BLMs. Pull everything, quad-flare, everything ded. It was very satisfying to watch.

I got so loving sick of speedrunning HM Longstop.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

One difficulty I just realized I'm going to have: I did some of the 2.1 story quests before I stopped playing and I have no idea where I left off. Is there a comprehensive list of the pre-HW quests anywhere that I can reference?

If you don#t currently have a MSQ active, you can open up your list of completed story quests, check the last one, and punch its name in to xivdb.com to see what the next quest in the chain is, and where to accept it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HenryEx posted:

the potency got lowered slightly for the second enemy to be hit and lowered slightly more for the third enemy and so on

holy got hit by the same nerf :(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

All the 2.x MSQ questlines start in either the Waking Sands or the Rising Stones, I believe.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The second enemy gets 90% damage, the third enemy gets 80%, etc., though it doesn't go below 50%. So on a 3-enemy pack (which is the minimum for AoE anyway) it's a 10% nerf and on a 5-enemy pack it's a 20% nerf.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HenryEx posted:

If you don#t currently have a MSQ active, you can open up your list of completed story quests, check the last one, and punch its name in to xivdb.com to see what the next quest in the chain is, and where to accept it.

cheetah7071 posted:

All the 2.x MSQ questlines start in either the Waking Sands or the Rising Stones, I believe.

Oh cool, thanks. That should help once I get a job I want to do all of the MSQ stuff on to 50.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's too bad you're relatively new; Mor Dhona has been steadily built up every patch. Back in 2.0 it was basically a campsite, and I don't think the 2nd story buildings were added til around 2.4.

You can see the same thing happening in Idyllshire nowadays. Hopefully you get there soon: the goblin factory building there wasn't there a couple of patches ago, the area where you exchange tomestones and Alex drops used to be a little courtyard instead of an almost fully-enclosed building with multiple doors and everything, etc. It's really one of the neater little bits of worldbuilding in the game, IMO.

e: I guess technically it'd be more correct to say Revenant's Toll has been built up, the rest of the zone hasn't changed.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Ciaphas posted:

Alphie is only likable now because he gets socially poo poo on in every single 3.x patch in some way or another for being an immature little wiener

To be fair, I think they had probably been planning for Alphinaud to get clowned on hard and then mature as a person from the get-go.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I think they really missed a great opportunity to have Tactics-style mission reports from your squadron recruits. It's a shame that they have nothing to say at all, and I'm glad that got brought up at fanfest.

I agree, it'd add a lot of charm to the whole system and I had really been hoping for it when they were first announced.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FactsAreUseless posted:

poo poo, yeah, Kelp touched on this but some background:

The Mor Dhona you're seeing is the 2.5 update of Mor Dhona. At launch, Mor Dhona (Revenant's Toll specifically) was basically a rough campsite for frontiersmen. As refugees and adventurers filtered in over time, Mor Dhona became more developed from patch to patch to patch (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, finally 2.55). You're seeing the final stage of it where it's a proper settlement.

If you google around you can probably find screenshots of old Mor Dhona. They do a similar thing with the hub of Heavensward. It brings the world to life and makes the player feel like the world is tangibly changing and I love it a whoooole bunch.

Edit: They also do a similar thing with the Heavensward Beast Tribes. By doing dailies and accumulating rep you help them build up and improve their livelihoods, which is reflected in the world actively phasing in new structures. It owns.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HenryEx posted:

There was a second secret nerf that only hit high-effort people, because at HW launch there weren't Ethers good enough to restore enough MP to Flare again at level 60.

Yes, I know how few people cared.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If there was a TP potion that restored like 100, would people buy it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Captain Oblivious posted:

poo poo, yeah, Kelp touched on this but some background:

The Mor Dhona you're seeing is the 2.5 update of Mor Dhona. At launch, Mor Dhona (Revenant's Toll specifically) was basically a rough campsite for frontiersmen. As refugees and adventurers filtered in over time, Mor Dhona became more developed from patch to patch to patch (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, finally 2.55). You're seeing the final stage of it where it's a proper settlement.

If you google around you can probably find screenshots of old Mor Dhona. They do a similar thing with the hub of Heavensward. It brings the world to life and makes the player feel like the world is tangibly changing and I love it a whoooole bunch.

Edit: They also do a similar thing with the Heavensward Beast Tribes. By doing dailies and accumulating rep you help them build up and improve their livelihoods, which is reflected in the world actively phasing in new structures. It owns.

I also understand from a sidequest between 51 and 60 that More Donuts's current site is not actually the site of the original More Donuts back in 1.X, and that the quest will lead you there so you can see its remains.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There was a second secret nerf that only hit high-effort people, because at HW launch there weren't Ethers good enough to restore enough MP to Flare again at level 60.

Yes, I know how few people cared.

I have a crippling addiction to max-ethers. Please send help.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Tae posted:

If there was a TP potion that restored like 100, would people buy it?

Depends on the cooldown. Melee DPS isn't TP-stable, but you can still probably get a better DPS return by using a stat potion if the cooldown on the TP potion was high enough, even on 100% uptime fights, as long as you remember to actually use your +TP skills. Note that there's currently one fight with 100% uptime, and he's sort of easy (Refurbisher Zero).

edit: Maybe it would be nice to have around if you're prone to dying.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The entire Crystal Braves Foam Adventure is leading up to a really, really great plot development so even that I consider good story. Because if you're cringing, it means that and Alphinaud are doing exactly what they're meant to.

And since his character development kicked in Alphinaud's basically my favorite character now.

FactsAreUseless posted:

All of your complaints about the entire mid-to-high level story of the 2.0 ARR storyline are true and correct. I assume it was written in such a slapdash goose-chase way because the entire development of 2.0 was such a desperate, down-to-the-wire thing that it was a miracle there was a game at all and story was not as big a priority then as it probably could've been.

If you like Mor Dhona I get a feeling you'll enjoy the Heavensward zones when you get there.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

100 degrees Calcium posted:

This is incredible. Are there guides that are this comprehensive for other jobs?

OF number cruncher savant Dervy has a DRG guide which is, I believe, considered authoritative. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/261773-How-to-Dragoon-per-Second-A-DPS-Paradigm

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Apparently that guide is a bit outdated though. You could probably get more current stuff from his YouTube channel.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there any way to set up a controller to cycle through targets with R3? I've played a bunch of Souls so that's a really easy reflex for me, easier than targeting with A, anyway. But it doesn't seem like I have that option.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hah, you can dye the vampire vest from the event. Goes well with the witch hat, gloves, and legs, and some good pants (chose/dyed the valentione skirt)

Also /gpose is pretty amazing I gotta say

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is there any way to set up a controller to cycle through targets with R3? I've played a bunch of Souls so that's a really easy reflex for me, easier than targeting with A, anyway. But it doesn't seem like I have that option.
I guess you could make a target forward macro and bind it to R3, but you're better off using left/right dpad targeting, and then l1+up/down dpad enmity list scrolling after they get on your threat list IMO

e: Oh also, r1+r2/l1+l2 are target forward/backward

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 20, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

One more question: are there guidelines for why to join which goon guild? When I last played like a year and a half ago, I was in PBC, but I'll join whichever one makes the most sense for a returning-after-a-long-time player.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

No, they're all full of bads. Chose the one with the best guild tag and then be filled with buyer's remorse when it's changed arbitrarily.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

From what I understand TPT has a no spoilers rule, so that is something to think about.

Edit: Also DGKK tends to have the worst tags.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can't disagree. On the upside, the game stops having those issues not far from where you are :unsmith:

They did indeed learn from their mistakes.

They instead all new mistakes like making overworld mobs damage sponges. I think someone experiments with this every five years in an MMO and there needs to be a commision or something that just runs around smacking hands saying "NO HP SPONGES ON OVERWORLD TRASH SUCKS"

I was actually kinda perplexed like I felt I was loving something up or there was some new hidden toggle I forgot to set or something. I went from feeling moderately powerful from 1-50 to feeling like a gimp. I didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

They instead all new mistakes like making overworld mobs damage sponges. I think someone experiments with this every five years in an MMO and there needs to be a commision or something that just runs around smacking hands saying "NO HP SPONGES ON OVERWORLD TRASH SUCKS"

I was actually kinda perplexed like I felt I was loving something up or there was some new hidden toggle I forgot to set or something. I went from feeling moderately powerful from 1-50 to feeling like a gimp. I didn't like it.

The mobs in HW are tuned assuming you've had months to gear up in i120+ Ironworks gear, which was indeed a mistake because it was something I noticed going in. As I was not one of those players who was bedecked in Ironworks blues.

If you haven't gotten someone else to craft leveling gear for you, there's always the vendors at Ishgard. The NQ vendor stuff isn't better than dungeon drops of comparable level but, for example, the lvl56 HQ equivalent, like what you get from the quests and sidequests, will easily outpower the lvl55 greens you might have gotten from the nearest leveling/story dungeon.

If you're still at like i50 going into HW then you'll really, really want to hit the vendors in Ishgard. And it's something I feel should be written out in big bold letters somewhere in the game.

• Locked thread