Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

some texas redneck posted:

tl;dr add i. before imgur.com and l.jpg at the end for most forum posts.

Nice thanks! I didn't even notice it was lacking the file name extension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp, first camping trip, some friends own a golf course north of sexsmith Alberta, so we're going there for the weekend for a birthday party, after that, heading to kelowna on Sunday, about 1000km south.Interested to see if the tires hold up. They're 6 years old but very little usage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Parked just outside Valemount, BC

https://goo.gl/maps/2wVD4VG3LUs

Spent the night there amongst the semi's who shut their engines off since it was cool enough to not need A/C.

Got to Kelowna BC about 1pm, rested for the night and then went on a wine tour with the UK Director of nuclear energy. I didn't know him beforehand but his wife and him were really cool!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Well, we made it over two years!

The park has been slowly edging out the RV dwellers, and we're like one of the last five left. Rather than leave our fate up to their hands, we decided to get a little place for the winter, and found a cute little 500 square foot + 200 sf shed cottage in a very convenient part of Denver for a song. Tomorrow we get keys and start uh, i guess buying some Ikea furniture? Heh.

We'd keep it up but it's time for a break. Wife wants unlimited hot water and a good heater. I want to play radio not cramped up in the front seat of the bus all the time. If it weren't for that and the park situation in denver (real estate bubble means mobile/rv parks are turning into mobile only parks, and mobile only parks are being bought and razed for apartment blocks) is DIRE. We simply can't find another long-term place within an hour of our jobs.

Plan is to get outdoor storage for the bus, tarp it over the winter, when the snow starts to melt we'll shine it up a bit and then phase 2 starts - buying a few acres in the foothills to park Hausbus in her final resting spot and serve as our starter cabin. Holding out to make sure she has a good view.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Jonny 290 posted:

Well, we made it over two years!

The park has been slowly edging out the RV dwellers, and we're like one of the last five left. Rather than leave our fate up to their hands, we decided to get a little place for the winter, and found a cute little 500 square foot + 200 sf shed cottage in a very convenient part of Denver for a song. Tomorrow we get keys and start uh, i guess buying some Ikea furniture? Heh.

We'd keep it up but it's time for a break. Wife wants unlimited hot water and a good heater. I want to play radio not cramped up in the front seat of the bus all the time. If it weren't for that and the park situation in denver (real estate bubble means mobile/rv parks are turning into mobile only parks, and mobile only parks are being bought and razed for apartment blocks) is DIRE. We simply can't find another long-term place within an hour of our jobs.

Plan is to get outdoor storage for the bus, tarp it over the winter, when the snow starts to melt we'll shine it up a bit and then phase 2 starts - buying a few acres in the foothills to park Hausbus in her final resting spot and serve as our starter cabin. Holding out to make sure she has a good view.

That's pretty awesome man. I'm impressed that you've made it 2 years - really well done! Anything else you've run into that you'll like in a "real" place, or has it mostly been good?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I am a little sad that the RV experiment is coming to an end but I am very impressed you've stuck with it so far. Looking forward to hearing more about Homey290.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'd say it's more of a sabbatical than an end from the sound of things. Enjoy all the space jony

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
No shame in it dude! Its best to take a break before you get to the point of loving hating everything.

what are you using for a water heater/heat? just standard RV stuff?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We ended up using a window a/c unit in the rear escape window as the overheads are too loud and burn out motor start caps, and we also just used ordinary boring electric space heaters for 90% of the winters. Mainly because power was included in the rent here, heh.

#1 best $100 i spent on it was getting a Hott Rodz electric conversion kit for the gas water heater. Replaces the drain plug. STRONG recommend, made it easy to just leave the water heater on all the time. pulls ~400w, goes from winter near-frozen to piping hot in 3h and then can keep it there forever

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
I didnt know there was a camper thread. Heres what me and a friend bought at the beginning of the summer:

So far we have done nothing to it but drive it and camp in it a few times, found out after purchasing that it had a rebuilt 20r installed by the dealer in 2008, so the new motor has roughly 15k miles on it. First on the list is tires and then maybe some renovations. But for the first summer everything worked as anticipated including the a/c.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

I didnt know there was a camper thread. Heres what me and a friend bought at the beginning of the summer:

So far we have done nothing to it but drive it and camp in it a few times, found out after purchasing that it had a rebuilt 20r installed by the dealer in 2008, so the new motor has roughly 15k miles on it. First on the list is tires and then maybe some renovations. But for the first summer everything worked as anticipated including the a/c.

If I wasn't happily married with a family, I would love to buy one of these, outfit it as the ultimate "guy who will forever live alone" place (not in a Gundam figures and Body pillows kind of way, but in a remove everything meant to accommodate more people for shorter terms kind of way) get a job that involves telecommuting and just drive around the country chasing the nice weather or seeing interesting things.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

beep-beep car is go posted:

drive around the country chasing the nice weather

This might interest you: https://us-climate.blogspot.com/2015/10/70f-road-trip.html

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Thanks to the internet, I'll be safe knowing I'll never be original again.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh hi thread sorry for the lovely $20 Alcatel pic

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

beep-beep car is go posted:

If I wasn't happily married with a family, I would love to buy one of these, outfit it as the ultimate "guy who will forever live alone" place (not in a Gundam figures and Body pillows kind of way, but in a remove everything meant to accommodate more people for shorter terms kind of way) get a job that involves telecommuting and just drive around the country chasing the nice weather or seeing interesting things.

After working for 5 months as an engineer I think this might be the future in some capacity. We will see, definitely have thought about it quite a bit... Put my 300 on the back for my round towner...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The ex-First Sergeant of my company bought a converted short bus from a traveling RN. It has rainwater collection and solar heating on the roof, a teeny toilet stall, outdoor shower with pop-out privacy curtains on rods, a full-size bed, and other poo poo. I really need to get a picture of it. Every summer he goes to work up in some capacity in the oil industry in Alaska, then lives in it down here in AZ during the winter.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
welcome to our new thread residents! Please remember to chock your wheels and we suggest if you are staying in the thread over winter to put up skirting, as it gets cold around here.

Skoolies are fun as gently caress but you have to roughneck it. Most parks won't take any sort of DIY or conversion job. Which sucks, because if I ever got some weird inheritance windfall i'd _totally_ buy a miled-out accordion bus from RTD or something and turn it into an insane RV, the whole back section would be a big rear end bedroom suite

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nor will a lot of insurance companies touch a schoolie. That said, they make *awesome* toy haulers. make a small camper up front, cut the back off and flatbed it.

Mine has a shoolie cab, but it never hauled kids, or even had seats. titled as a motorhome when it left the factory as an incomplete vehicle.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

cursedshitbox posted:

Nor will a lot of insurance companies touch a schoolie. That said, they make *awesome* toy haulers. make a small camper up front, cut the back off and flatbed it.

Mine has a shoolie cab, but it never hauled kids, or even had seats. titled as a motorhome when it left the factory as an incomplete vehicle.

A bunch of guys in my offroad club have done that:

That one is my good buddies, chopped 2/3rds of the roof and lifted it a few feet, hauled his buddies rig behind and a samurai and toyota pickup inside, and 4 people. Also used it for his wifes birthday party as a party bus, rigged a stereo, threw in some bales for seats and had a white trash bash, with another club member with chauffeurs license driving.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Was that one of those mini-homes that had a lawsuit about axles failing at the drop of a hat?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf

I'm not sure about the law-suit part of it, but thats a good read on the problem and fixes involved with those 'yotas

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
It sure looks like it, although it is a 77 with wide singles not duals, I imagine it being considerably lighter compared to some of the later dolphins I have seen. But it definitely has the 5 lugs, the axle looked to be in good shape last time I was under there, but the leafs are sad.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I am sorry to report that mine got too rotten to be safe or livable and went to the great campsite in the sky about 3 months ago :(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It happens. Hausbus is an '89 so we are suffering from delamination pretty badly. It's such a solid chassis though, i mean, P30 with a 454, that'll go forever. I'm thinking of actually doing it right next year while she's in storage and pulling the side skins off and re-plying the inside this summer. It'd be a huge amount of work but I dont want to scrap this thing just because some idiot EPA poo poo 30 years ago.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Eternabond is your friend. You can get sheets of the rubber roofing too. (the name escapes me atm)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If i do all this, i'm going straight cowboy, ripping out the lovely Coleman roof a/c units, replacing with vents, and installing a two zone mini split. You seen the efficiency numbers on those things? Twice as good as the Coleman trash. You can get more BTUs than both a/c units together, with the power draw of one. That means no two-circuit poo poo. Plus, they're heat pumps too, so as long as it's not fuckoff arctic temps, you get heat in winter too.

Oh and since it's not a dwelling that is bound by building code, you can self-install mini-splits legally in RVs! Was thinking of just tucking the exchanger underneath, back under the bedroom. Lots of wasted space back there.

$700 or so from glorious China. I bet I could sell the colemans for $150 apiece to defray

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, what's the EFR on mini splits? My window unit is 11.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im seeing ones in the 10-12 range for decent prices. for comparison, standard coleman is around 8, so maybe it's not double - 50% increase or so. Still a huge jump and in the limited-current RV scenario, the benefits are manifold

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you're ok with fab, look into variable refrigerant flow systems too. thats what is slated for use on the bus.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Old and busted vs. new hotness

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah, nice. Right away I put new vent lids on and added the weatherproof vent covers over our bathroom vent, strong rec - lets you crack the vent 24/7 rain or shine, which helps in the shitter

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is the chassis I am using for my father and I's camping project. I have a travel trailer that is great, but can't really take it places like hard to get to lakes. It's almost finished and just needs a bed and deck winch installed. Basically it's going to take a tent trailer without wheels or suspension sitting on a skid, and drag it up onto the deck and bolt down. Once at camp, it can be slid off onto the ground. similar to a mini bed truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvduZ_wEyGA

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

My jealousy runs so strongly right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

drat

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
:eyepop:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Hoooly poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
does this go in here or osha thread

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

does this go in here or osha thread

I have that exact car and color, but 100% electric. Best $11k I've ever spent.

That gas version has a curb weight of like 1700lbs so it really works well as a toy to haul.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

jonathan posted:

This is the chassis I am using for my father and I's camping project. I have a travel trailer that is great, but can't really take it places like hard to get to lakes. It's almost finished and just needs a bed and deck winch installed. Basically it's going to take a tent trailer without wheels or suspension sitting on a skid, and drag it up onto the deck and bolt down. Once at camp, it can be slid off onto the ground. similar to a mini bed truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvduZ_wEyGA

Uhhhh, is there a thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Where did you even find this thing?

• Locked thread