Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any advice for the strategic campaign as Dwarves? I started up a campaign last night in advance of the DLC and the tech tree is so vast and there are so many building options I'm having a hard time figuring out what to prioritize etc.

Once you have a Clan Barracks in Mount Squighorn, drop the one in Karak in favor of a Gem Mineshaft. Easy money early on. For the tree, upgrade your warriors and especially quarrelers. Even in late game, well-upgraded quarrelers are solid, important units. The income stuff on the tree is good too if you want some money. Get some growth in the province and build a Siege Workshop ASAP. The Dwarfs kind of own in that the only units that you really need are in the basic barracks and siege shops. Gyros, hammerers, and Ironbreakers are all really nice units, but they're not totally necessary for victory.

Once I unite the first province, I usually either go for that first quest battle or grab Karag Dron as it has a logging building and it can act as a watch post in case Greenskins try to move north.. Most of the time it seems like if I go for the quest battle while ignoring Dron, Barak Varr will fall and you can snatch up their poo poo from the Orks. So, as a result, I usually ignore Varr until I can either confed with them or they're wiped out.

General tips:

-Your heroes are kind of crap on the map, but fantastic in armies. Runesmiths and Thanes will most likely always get assassinated by Greenskins, but along with Master Engineers they are incredibly useful battlefield units.

-Don't worry about battering rams as miners are genuinely more useful in every way and can help you get into siege battles sooner.

-Use tunneling stance often. You can skip huge chunks of the map by using it, and tunnel encounters are really easy for Dwarves to win since it's nearly impossible to be outflanked.

-I don't hate Slayers, but they remind me of cavalry in previous games where it seems like if you auto-resolve a lot of battles, you'll never have a full unit of them since auto-resolve fucks them so bad. I don't refuse Slayers if I confed with somebody and they're already there, but I certainly don't go out and seek them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

toasterwarrior posted:

Any footage of Bolt Throwers fighting against cavalry? I want to see if it's possible to use them as anchors for your flanks. Surely faster reloading and better accuracy will shine against flankers?

I don't have any footage, but what I can tell you from the stream is that they cost the same as a unit of Quarrellers! If they perform at all, they'll have a place in the meta.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Any advice for the strategic campaign as Dwarves? I started up a campaign last night in advance of the DLC and the tech tree is so vast and there are so many building options I'm having a hard time figuring out what to prioritize etc.

RE: The tech tree: All the t1 research (the ones that finish in 3 turns) are all aces and you should probably grab those first before going any deeper. Aside from that there's a number of star talents (+5 defense to all infantry comes to mind, as is the reload reduction for ranged units and +10% strength to hand weapons) that you can build into depending on your priorities. Aim to have the passive -corruption to all regions talent by turn 80-100, it's a big help to keep your public order in check when the passive chaos corruption starts ticking in.

You have the strongest first tier infantry in the game, full stop. Use this to your advantage. Crossbows are the hardiest ranged unit in the game and *will* win in any shooting match you'll get in that's not against thunderers. Warriors are basically an immovable object vs skeletons, zombies, goblins, and orc boys, and that's 90% of what you'll be fighting early game.

Keep in mind that you don't have cav or really any fast attack options and generally speaking have poo poo charge bonuses (minus slayers and hammerers). You do your best if you can wedge yourself in somewhere or squat on a hill and wait for your enemies to come to you.

In going with the above: Always have artillery advantage. If your enemy has more artillery engines than you do, they will be perfectly content staying at max range pelting your warriors down while you try to furiously waddle your fat, slow rear end army all the way across the map.

For early game army composition, I like to have 2 miners, 8 warriors, 5-6 crossbows, and then fill the rest out with heroes and/or catapults. As the game progresses you'll upgrade miners to blasting charges and probably mix in a unit or two of thunderers/cannons/organ guns/longbeards depending on what you're fighting. As far as where Rangers will fit in I don't know, but I would guess they will be fairly robust as ranged or melee if the free company militia are anything to compare them against.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Plan Z posted:

-Use tunneling stance often. You can skip huge chunks of the map by using it, and tunnel encounters are really easy for Dwarves to win since it's nearly impossible to be outflanked.

Additonally, underway stance makes you immune to vampiric/chaos corruption, the usefulness of which cannot be understated when Manny needs a good bitchslap

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Which stats should I be upgrading on a fighty LL?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Soup du Journey posted:

Grimgor should be all the melee tree and the Leadership tree. Ignore the bottom tree because if you are using lightning strikes to take out one stack after another, you aren't playing Grimgor properly.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Arcsquad12 posted:

Grimgor should be all the melee tree and the Leadership tree. Ignore the bottom tree because if you are using lightning strikes to take out one stack after another, you aren't playing Grimgor properly.

I'm not generally one of these uptight lore nerds but I will loving throat punch you if you turn down a bigger fight with Grimgor.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yep, when I did my orc playthrough, I did lightning strike and it didn't feel right, honestly orc lords are the only ones I wouldn't go for that. I want Skarsnik and Wuzzragh so bad, haven't played orcs since launch and they are super fun.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
To me lightning strike is a huge, huge disadvantage most of the time anyway as greenskins. Your units suck pound for pound so you do not want to be fighting pound for pound. Agent actions to delay army movements do you much better, especially when you should be building the agent building everywhere anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Soup du Journey posted:

There was a great post somewhere recently about how to get the most bang for your buck in LL upgrades. The main takeaway I remember was that vigour loss reduction us about the best thing and the percentage charge bonus is relatively worthless except for very niche uses. Flat weapon damage bonuses are better than percentage bonuses usually also due to the way armor penetration works, but most weapon improvements are wasted regardless because most individual targets don't have much health so your Lord is always overkilling except against other hero or Lord units or stuff like giants.
All that's from memory anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 19, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What spells should I be aiming for in multiplayer with a Night Goblin shaman? The AP buff and curse of Da Bad Moon seem obvious, but others seem more circumstantial, like the range and sight debuff only really being effective against Empire/Dwarf gunlines.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

What spells should I be aiming for in multiplayer with a Night Goblin shaman? The AP buff and curse of Da Bad Moon seem obvious, but others seem more circumstantial, like the range and sight debuff only really being effective against Empire/Dwarf gunlines.

In my experience it's strengths are Sneaky Stabbin (make your guys hit harder) and Itchy Nuisance (make their guys hit worse). Combined they let you make solidly mediocre troops able to go toe to toe with much more expensive dudes pretty well.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Has there ever been a mod that let you use Sarthoreal? I've searched the workshop to no avail but if they can get Isabella Carstein as a hero you'd think we could use Sarthoreal.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

fnordcircle posted:

Has there ever been a mod that let you use Sarthoreal? I've searched the workshop to no avail but if they can get Isabella Carstein as a hero you'd think we could use Sarthoreal.

Chaos Divided (lets you recruit Lords of Change on the Campaign Map, but it also adds heaps of other units so that might not be what you're looking for.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

You can use him without mods, just beat the grand campaign and he should unlock.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Korgan posted:

You can use him without mods, just beat the grand campaign and he should unlock.

BWAH?

This is what happens when you play campaigns until it's obvious you're going to win and then start over with something else. 500+ hours put into this game having done campaigns with every single LL except Ghorst and I've never bothered to win once it became obvious I was gonna steamroll.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The Big Bird can only be used in custom battles and multiplayer.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Oh, I want him for SP. Multiplayer is for more handsome and successful people than I.

Whorelord posted:

Chaos Divided (lets you recruit Lords of Change on the Campaign Map, but it also adds heaps of other units so that might not be what you're looking for.

Cool, I was searching by name not "Lords of Change". Thanks!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Additonally, underway stance makes you immune to vampiric/chaos corruption, the usefulness of which cannot be understated when Manny needs a good bitchslap

I think it also lets you forgo diplomacy penalties for standing on land without military access.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Angry Lobster posted:

The Big Bird can only be used in custom battles and multiplayer.

He only has lore of metal too so he's not very good.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

He has that charge attack bullshit though which can be pretty nice to abuse. If you give him a charge order to a unit in range, he does a weird flying charge and you can use that even when he's in combat. So you can just have him constantly fly charging around ignoring enemies units trying to tie him down

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Also any battles fought in underway stance (whether due to ambush or being attacked while in underway stance) results in fighting in the underway map. The underway map is basically one long corridor where the two armies face off with little flanking opportunity or LOS shenanigans. In other words it's the perfect map for Dwarfs.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

It might be too late but the death of my Dwarven campaign was helping my northern allies fight the vampires early on and losing two armies to bullshit banshee shenanigans. It caused a bunch of anti-vamp grudges to build up and I couldn't get north quickly enough to get them out of my book. Then the green skins counterattacked from the south and hit my depleted garrisons which then led to my public order spiralling.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 20, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Danann posted:

Also any battles fought in underway stance (whether due to ambush or being attacked while in underway stance) results in fighting in the underway map. The underway map is basically one long corridor where the two armies face off with little flanking opportunity or LOS shenanigans. In other words it's the perfect map for Dwarfs.

There are so many reasons for Dwarfs to stick to Underway movement I'm actually surprised they have the option to not use it.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I think it also lets you forgo diplomacy penalties for standing on land without military access.

Nah, I've underway moved onto neutral territory a lot of times as Greenskins, it pisses them off.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Underway is probably TOO good, tbh. It should probably have some sort of general framework, with certain areas not connected.

Or at least areas of it being "Unreclaimed" with dangerous penalties or attrition etc.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 20, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Underway is probably TOO good, tbh. It should probably have some sort of general framework, with certain areas not connected.

Or at least areas of it being "Unreclaimed" with dangerous penalties or attrition etc.

Anybody can get an ambush on you while you're in the stance, same as you have a chance to ambush them. If anything is too good it's the abilities that help prevent that.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Oh no, they'll "ambush" me in a fight I'm almost always willing to take, and when I win, it wipes them out to the last man without having to deal with a follow up fight / benny hill chase. This is a "drawback" to that mode of travel.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm going to tunnel past this chaos horde. Sure hope they don't ambush me and end up dropped into a map that's literally a long straight line with entirely unobstructed sight lines just wide enough to be entirely blocked off by my front line troops.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's very easy to lose stacks that way as greenskins on very hard or legendary. If you're talking about dwarves you're usually right but that's more on their units being unbalanced for single player than the stance being poorly balanced.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I won my VH Dwarf campaign not only without losing a battle but I didn't record a single lost unit in nearly 200 turns, and that was only possible by very heavily leaning on how the underway works.

If someone says it works a little too well for the Dwarfs I'd be hard pressed to disagree.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 20, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The ultimate insult: that Night Goblin Fanatic Regiment that swings dwarves around instead of a ball-and-chain? Those dwarves are shaved.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mordja posted:

The ultimate insult: that Night Goblin Fanatic Regiment that swings dwarves around instead of a ball-and-chain? Those dwarves are shaved.

How right that they die impacting the shield of a brother dwarf, so that the not be forced to live with the shame.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mordja posted:

Pack owns so bad.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
My matches with Sammvt and Nanomashoes respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWo9wYJ5heM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tELb0M5Zobo

A big part of what I have to do now is very carefully select when I'm playing Chaos or Beastmen. I find that they have really bad match ups, both when I play them and when I'm against them. One match that I'm confident on both sides of though is when I'm playing chaos vs. dwarves, I find I can win that one playing on either side as it's a matchup I feel I know pretty well. I'm really looking forward to the updates to chaos in particular since they're one of the ones I know are just kind of crap.

To some extent, I feel like orcs are the kings of this composition rule set. Their units in core are amazing, they don't need a huge number of heroes to win but they can also spam them out effectively even with the 27% limit. I think if I weren't trying to challenge myself by sticking to the bottom 4 in this tournement I'd put them as my main clutch pick in every set, probably replacing beastmen in this case. In other words, they're a smart guy pick I feel.

Undead I'm still finding are much weaker than they are under normal composition rules and if it weren't for my self imposed idiocy, I'd love to try them more with these composition limitations. I think other people cope with it pretty well as I'm one of those players that just doesn't use their core picks, I spam grave guard rather than using their monsters or crypt horrors which means I take fewer skeletons or zombies. Other people I think naturally tend to take their monstrous units or blood knights.

Vs. Sammvt, 2-2

Vs. Nanomashoes, 4-0 in my favour.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Mordja posted:

:stonk: that's going in the book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mazz posted:

I won my VH Dwarf campaign not only without losing a battle but I didn't record a single lost unit in nearly 200 turns, and that was only possible by very heavily leaning on how the underway works.

If someone says it works a little too well for the Dwarfs I'd be hard pressed to disagree.

The Underway works extremely well for dwarfs because it limits maneuverability which plays to that faction's strengths. I rarely intercept Dwarfs on the underway in my Greenskin campaigns because I have better odds fighting them above ground where my mobility trumps them.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Mordja posted:

Welp, that tops the Gob Lobber. Gobbos take the lead in this shame-off

e: in light of new photographic evidence, this may not be the case

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 20, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Mordja posted:

According to this image, you are wrong.

The beard might be a bit hard to see with all that rope, but it's there.

I do belive this means I have to put you in my book of grudges now for spreading lies and slander.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

• Locked thread