Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

Now that Google's neural network is being used by the US military as a sort of sentry to detect aircraft, I look forward to their company slotting in along side GE as a defense contractor.

Assuming their all purpose auto-vehicle works out, I imagine their shares will continue to be good things to own.

Wasn't this original purpose of them buying out Boston Dynamics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sethex posted:

Now that Google's neural network is being used by the US military as a sort of sentry to detect aircraft, I look forward to their company slotting in along side GE as a defense contractor.

Assuming their all purpose auto-vehicle works out, I imagine their shares will continue to be good things to own.

I'd be worrying about the EU's a decade in the making anti-trust case if I had all my eggs in that basket.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Google abandoned the "don't be evil" motto a long time ago, but going full defense contractor would be just too much. They're basically cementing their way to full skynet

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Baby Babbeh posted:

True story, I once spoke with the CEO of a moderately successful tech startup who was into Quantified Self, and he let me know that he was experimenting with an all-cheese diet. He said he'd determined that the macros for a piece of hard cheese were nearly perfect, so it stood to reason that he could just eat cheese every meal and lose weight. He said he was carefully monitoring the PH of his urine to ensure that everything was working correctly.

This was over lunch. I ate normal food, he ate a block of Parmesan.

Please give the "Silicon Valley" writers this anecdote.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Was the CEO trying to put himself into ketosis?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MiddleOne posted:

You were supposed to eat it with something else! I still can't believe that you actually came to the conclusion that you were supposed to eat it hard.

In my defense, it was a mod challenge. Of course it would involve doing something horrendous to myself!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Waiter: "Sir would you like some parmes--"
DV: "NO! NOOOOO!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

pangstrom posted:

Waiter: "Sir would you like some parmes--"
DV: "NO! NOOOOO!"

Discendo Vox posted:

Eating now. I got:

Parmesano Reggiano (QTRS, Italy)
Societe Rocquefort (France)
Buttermilk Gorgonzola (Roth, Wisconsin)
Asiago (Belgioioso, Wisconsin)

All are unpasteurized. Pictures to follow.

edit: woof, one down. I feel unwell.

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh good christ, please tell me I don't have to eat this all at once. I am 3/4ths through this block of asiago and I think I may die. Is Parmesano Reggiano supposed to be eaten without being further altered? It's horrible in anything above minute quantities, crunchy, impossibly thick, nigh-tasteless...Kraft did it better. This is, like, something Umbridge would feed to Harry during detention. The Asiago would be bearable if there weren't .75 lbs of the stuff.

Discendo Vox posted:

update: Roquefort's done. Less cheese, less pain, really strong taste. My throat is burning.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

What claim had you made?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

BarbarianElephant posted:

Please give the "Silicon Valley" writers this anecdote.

they've actually got so many stupid stories they can't air because they think they'd be so unbelievable audiences from anywhere else wouldn't believe it.

quote:

According to The New Yorker report, the writers of "Silicon Valley" met with Astro Teller, the head of X, formerly known as Google X the division of Google parent company Alphabet responsible for "moonshot" projects, including Google Glass and self-driving cars. That meeting ended poorly, with Teller "standing up in a huff" and making a dramatic exit, says the report.

"His message was, 'We don't do stupid things here. We do things that actually are going to change the world, whether you choose to make fun of that or not,'" "Silicon Valley" writer Carrie Kemper told The New Yorker.

The issue, Kemper says, was that he felt that the show was disrespectful to Google X and its projects. In the second season of the show, fictional Google analogue Hooli forms the HooliXYZ "moonshot factory," a clear parody of Google X.

But where the real Google X is working on high-minded stuff like universal connectivity and drone-package delivery, HooliXYZ built potato cannons and provided a backdrop for crude monkey masturbation jokes.

The funniest part, Kemper says, is that Teller's attempt at a big exit was a bit awkward because he was wearing Rollerblades. He "wobbled" to the door and struggled to get the door open with his ID badge ... all in clear view of the gathered "Silicon Valley" writers.

The writers weighed turning the event into a joke, but decided that it was "too hacky to use on the show," Kemper told The New Yorker.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

they've actually got so many stupid stories they can't air because they think they'd be so unbelievable audiences from anywhere else wouldn't believe it.

tech_bubel.txt: changing the world, one laff at a time.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

blowfish posted:

tech_bubel.txt: changing the world, one laff at a time.

In the book Disrupted, they mention how the Ceo of hubspot brought a teddy bear for the board room, so people would treat it as if it was THE CUSTOMER. Silicon Valley writers said they couldn't use it since nobody would believe it

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Non Serviam posted:

In the book Disrupted, they mention how the Ceo of hubspot brought a teddy bear for the board room, so people would treat it as if it was THE CUSTOMER. Silicon Valley writers said they couldn't use it since nobody would believe it

Techlords: there's always more and it's always worse.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Does the hubspot CEO still love holocracy?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

nachos posted:

Does the hubspot CEO still love holocracy?

I don't know if Hubspot ever actually implemented Holocracy. You're probably thinking of Zappos, where it's been... um, something of a mixed bag...

http://labs.openviewpartners.com/impact-of-holacracy-at-zappos/#.WAfvwY8rJD8

For what it's worth, people I know who work at Zappos absolutely love it, but it seems like the kind of place where you'd have to otherwise the cult would excommunicate you.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Baby Babbeh posted:

I don't know if Hubspot ever actually implemented Holocracy. You're probably thinking of Zappos, where it's been... um, something of a mixed bag...

For what it's worth, people I know who work at Zappos absolutely love it, but it seems like the kind of place where you'd have to otherwise the cult would excommunicate you.

Yeah your right, I mixed up my tech cults

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

In my defense, it was a mod challenge. Of course it would involve doing something horrendous to myself!

How do you like them protected indications of origin. :razz:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Non Serviam posted:

I wonder how they feel about rubber-duck debugging and design?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

One of my favorites, when Elon Musk met TJ Miller/Erlich

quote:

“Some Valley big shots have no idea how to react to the show,” Miller told me. “They can’t decide whether to be offended or flattered. And they’re mystified by the fact that actors have a kind of celebrity that they will never have—there’s no rhyme or reason to it, but that’s the way it is, and it kills them.” Miller met Musk at the after-party in Redwood City. “I think he was thrown by the fact that I wasn’t being sycophantic — which I couldn’t be, because I didn’t realize who he was at the time. He said, ‘I have some advice for your show,’ and I went, ‘No thanks, we don’t need any advice,’ which threw him even more. And then, while we’re talking, some woman comes up and says ‘Can I have a picture?’ and he starts to pose — it was kinda sad, honestly — and instead she hands the camera to him and starts to pose with me. It was, like, Sorry, dude, I know you’re a big deal — and, in his case, he actually is a big deal — but I’m the guy from ‘Yogi Bear 3-D,’ and apparently that’s who she wants a picture with.”

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

God, that had to suck.

Parm Reg is absolutely not an eating cheese, it's a grating cheese for using as a garnish and in sauces.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

JawnV6 posted:

One of my favorites, when Elon Musk met TJ Miller/Erlich
That is great.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

That's what they should try disrupting, by eating blocks of Grana Padano instead.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Baby Babbeh posted:

The lack of formal titles makes it difficult to communicate what you do in a succinct way, which is important on something like a resume. I have to wonder if this is considered a good thing by the "leaders."

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Another funny thing about hubspot is that the ceo and cto didn't actually care about it, it was just a vanity/meta project for them

The CTO was using it for a bunch of corporate culture celebrity and the CEO was just in a $$$ contest with peers

It's like how Musk was already rich before he even started X.com so most of his projects now are just high visibility rich dude stuff

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 20, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baby Babbeh posted:

Holocracy...... Zappos

Maybe I missed this part because of too much nonsensical information while reading the recently linked articles...........but does the executive suite just remain while everyone else has no titles? Because it seems like otherwise someone could decide they're the CDO and designated signatory for the company and firesale it off into their own bank account. Also, who decides on raises and poo poo?

I just really don't understand how this works and isn't just a facade. I think that's because it actually doesn't, but I'm willing to have someone show me how I'm wrong and that this isn't just then next iteration of "unlimited PTO".

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

lancemantis posted:

Another funny thing about hubspot is that the ceo and cto didn't actually care about it, it was just a vanity/meta project for them

The CTO was using it for a bunch of corporate culture celebrity and the CEO was just in a $$$ contest with peers

It's like how Musk was already rich before he even started X.com so most of his projects now are just high visibility rich dude stuff

Not just that. They wanted a company, but didn't know what they'd do.
A lot of startups are just idea guys getting together and getting enough capital from suckers.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hubspot also got a lot of funding from its own CTO -- need that shell of a company for your meta project to go up Up UP

Because like many of these guys he rode his "signaling" into a nice fat wad so time to move on to vanity

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Randler posted:

:argh:

WrenP-Complete posted:

What claim had you made?

I can't remember the details, but I overreached in an argument in which I was generally opposed to unpasteurized dairy, including cheeses. It involved broader disease risks created by people who produce consume unpasteurized cheese. It looks like it's one of the possible vectors for antibiotic-resistant listeria.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Motronic posted:

Maybe I missed this part because of too much nonsensical information while reading the recently linked articles...........but does the executive suite just remain while everyone else has no titles? Because it seems like otherwise someone could decide they're the CDO and designated signatory for the company and firesale it off into their own bank account. Also, who decides on raises and poo poo?

I just really don't understand how this works and isn't just a facade. I think that's because it actually doesn't, but I'm willing to have someone show me how I'm wrong and that this isn't just then next iteration of "unlimited PTO".
Holacracy still designates people to roles when it's needed for dealing with the outside world. So the finance circle or whatever designates a member/s responsible for signing for poo poo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Motronic posted:

Because it seems like otherwise someone could decide they're the CDO and designated signatory for the company and firesale it off into their own bank account.

ah, EVE Online rules

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yesterday I got a promotional flyer for Blue Apron in the mail. It's headed "Seasonal recipe guide: Simple Fall Recipes". The final recipe is "roasted sweet potato pizza with caramelized onion, béchamel sauce, & arugula salad."

Any recipe that has you both caramelize onion -- they don't mean just brown, they do mean caramelize -- and make béchamel from scratch is not what the majority of home cooks would call "simple". (I can do both, and I'd think 'no big deal', but I'm a total food nerd.) Furthermore, the recipe they give is going to lead to pain unless you already know how to make a roux without lumps.

quote:

In the pot used to caramelize the onion, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Slowly whisk in the milk, lemon zest and 1/4 cup of water. Cook, stirring frequently, 2 to 4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the juice of 2 lemon wedges; season with salt and pepper to taste.
"Stirring frequently" and "slowly whisk" work as shorthand instructions if you already know how to cook flour in fat into a smooth paste rather than a lumpy paste. (My family uses Wondra flour because this is what technology is for, dammit.) If your normal gravy has lumps, or if you've never made gravy at all, this is going to be nasty.

By my count, the cooking time they list to create the individual components of the pizza sums to 50 minutes; to this add prep time to wash arugula, grate 3 oz. fontina cheese, peel and slice a pound of sweet potatoes, 3 cloves of garlic, and an onion, and zest a lemon. They say "Cook time 25-35 minutes", but they do this by summing only the lowest values for each range of times and ignoring the time taken to do things like "heat olive oil until hot" and "stir and scrape pan to deglaze, season with salt and pepper to taste. "

I don't see who the market is. If you're a food nerd in Silly Valley, you can have Instacart deliver groceries from your favorite money-to-burn grocery store, then cook this extravaganza. If you're a rushed person with money to burn, you don't have time to make a 1 1/2 hour (conservatively) meal, and you'd rather get takeout. If you want chef-quality meals in limited time, you go to one of the startups that send you pre-prepped food.

This service doesn't solve anybody's problem well.

e: I looked up the numbers, and Blue Apron charges a minimum of $60/week for two people and three meals, which works out to $20 per meal. The ingredients for this recipe are a pound of pizza dough, fontina cheese, milk, an ounce of arugula, a lemon, a pound of sweet potatoes, an onion, a bunch of oregano, and 2T flour. Granted that there are a lot of hidden costs, when you get that for your $20, it's going to look like a ripoff. The other recipes in the booklet have more obviously expensive or unusual ingredients like salmon fillets, demiglace, and ground sumac.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 20, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Don't all "simple recipes" underestimate the work time? I get the feeling that this is the time an experienced chef takes to make a meal, not the home cook who is wondering where the grater is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Don't all "simple recipes" underestimate the work time? I get the feeling that this is the time an experienced chef takes to make a meal, not the home cook who is wondering where the grater is.

The times listed on recipes are almost always wrong for a bunch of reasons; cooking is more a knack that you pick up by doing it a lot. The best recipes (baking especially) actually have ranges for the time because, well, sometimes that loaf takes 35 minutes, sometimes it take 50.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The experienced chef is going to blaze through the prep time, not so much the cooking time; Blue Apron only counts cooking time. Assuming you don't have a multi-megakiloton thermonuclear stove, roasting sweet potatoes or caramelizing onion takes pretty much the same amount of time for everybody.

e:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The times listed on recipes are almost always wrong for a bunch of reasons; cooking is more a knack that you pick up by doing it a lot. The best recipes (baking especially) actually have ranges for the time because, well, sometimes that loaf takes 35 minutes, sometimes it take 50.
THIS. I couldn't tell you for the life of me how long it takes to make a loaf of bread, because I just go into this sort of Zen state then slap the dough on the counter, and how long the rises after that take is entirely up to God and the ambient temperature. Professional bakers have proofing ovens and work based on the %humidification of the flour, not on "welp, add enough flour that it's not sticky, how much that will be today, who knows".

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 20, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
when we used hellofresh the recipes were a lot simpler than that but still lmao at making a roux

they should market this as a "learn to cook" service not anything related to convenience or cost savings. my cooking level is that i can confidently bake chicken without killing anyone and i'd look at that recipe and say gently caress this, i'm getting takeout

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

boner confessor posted:

they should market this as a "learn to cook" service not anything related to convenience or cost savings. my cooking level is that i can confidently bake chicken without killing anyone and i'd look at that recipe and say gently caress this, i'm getting takeout
But unless there are longer versions of the recipe (or videos, because that would add genuine value), they aren't teaching you to cook. Teaching you to cook requires explaining what you're doing and why it works. The steak recipe says "cook 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until browned and cooked to your desired degree of doneness." 2-4 minutes is a big enough range to give you anything from raw to burnt depending on your stove and pans, and they give you no insight into how to look at a brown surface and intuit how pink the middle is.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

The company has an incentive to underestimate the time in their brochures. Also, the time is probably calculated based on someone who knows how to do things.

A few years ago I tried to paint miniatures as a way to deal with stress and burnout. Although it was relaxing, it was always interesting to take a day or two to paint an "easy 20 minute miniature paint."

I'm clumsy as gently caress though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But unless there are longer versions of the recipe (or videos, because that would add genuine value), they aren't teaching you to cook. Teaching you to cook requires explaining what you're doing and why it works. The steak recipe says "cook 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until browned and cooked to your desired degree of doneness." 2-4 minutes is a big enough range to give you anything from raw to burnt depending on your stove and pans, and they give you no insight into how to look at a brown surface and intuit how pink the middle is.

Yeah really. No generalization done and to boot the recipe you mentioned has a heavy reliance on acid balance. It is as newbie unfriendly as it can get for a relatively simple dish.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah really. No generalization done and to boot the recipe you mentioned has a heavy reliance on acid balance. It is as newbie unfriendly as it can get for a relatively simple dish.
I was worrying about the acid re-curdling the béchamel if it wasn't already curdled, but I didn't know enough to be sure one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The recipes are generally straightforward, I haven't seen a roux or anything like that. I am a terrible/incurious cook and over the past 2 years of blue apron I haven't screwed up much of anything. A few of the pan-fried crusts haven't worked out too well but a number have. Your argument might be "well you should be a better cook now" and, well, yeah guilty on that because I'm only slightly better / more aware of things that seem to happen together a lot. Really knife skills are the thing that I should have fixed by now and yeah I always chuckle at the "25 minutes" or whatever they put in the bottom right.