Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

As far as MDT vs WDS goes, I feel like MDT has had more development time than WDS has in the last 5 years. As buggy as MDT is, I feel like WDS is only good for hosting boot disks at this point and shouldn't be your primary imaging system.
This is exactly how I use it/them and it's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I like calling our CFO 'Mr. Shortcut'

Takes every shortcut possible. Always bites us in the rear end.

Alright, so the company we work for has like 5 subsidaries. 3 of which have different EIN or tax ID's.

ABC - tax id 1
ABC service co - tax id 1
QRS - tax id 2
XYZ - tax id 3
DEF - tax id 4

These companies all use the same bank account. Same owner, they all roll up accounting wise to the same consolidation company, blah blah.

We're putting in a new accounting system, and that's where the fun begins. Previous, when we did ACH/direct deposit, we always used ABC's tax id, no matter which company it was actually a transaction for (I think the old software was only aware that there was one company). So we tried a ACH from QRS company, and what happens? The new ACH company rejects it because the tax id doesn't match up with what we gave them (bank account xxxxxyyyy belonging to company ABC with tax id nnnnnn).

We call them up to see whats going on and they basically say we can't do what we're doing. "We have been doing it for years! Blah blah." So the new accounting software is to blame of course, along with the ACH vendor. I looked at the old ACH files we were sending the bank, and sure enough no matter what company they were for, they always used the tax id of ABC. So I go into the new accounting software and add A BC's tax id to company QRS....the ACH transactions go through just fine.

So that was 2 weeks ago. Now, a vendor complained that they were getting payment from ABC when it used to say QRS. I told my boss that something like this would happen. We call the ACH place and they say 'no poo poo you dumbasses you're using the same tax id, you're confusing the software as to what the company name is. federal regulation blah blah blah NACHA bank schmoodorf.

I'm cool with that. But of course my CFO is whining like a little baby and wants to go back to the old software and the old provider blah blah.

The funny part is the consultants said we need to split the bank accounts up for various reasons (such as security reasons, having a separate account for payroll) before we started this but he whined and cried about that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

I like calling our CFO 'Mr. Shortcut'

The older I get the more I realize business worldwide are just a huge goon in well situation, but you just get to climb up the dead bodies that drown beneath you as you all dig.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had a client fired their IT guy, I did their network/pbx, and he managed everything else. He was in the process of setting up a domain controller for them, and when he was fired he remoted into it and screwed it all up. When I found out, I just laughed since he did an awful job anyways (like using raid stripping, a hacked unlicensed Win2k8 version, etc), so I just reinstalled Windows Server and had an entirely new domain setup and ready in like an hour. There wasn't any users or anything configured, so he did actually zero damage.

At my job I've run into this and a few other engineers have too, primarily from a former idiot engineer who got fired over a year ago. He had at least 4 clients that he did this with, where he used some registry hack to license servers (and some PCs) with single use licenses because clients were cheap and he was too spineless to push back on them purchasing licenses. I ended up getting one of his clients passed to me when he got canned, and it was a loving nightmare because the lady managing the place not only didn't want to spend money, but had no idea they were out of compliance on licensing and could get hit with some hefty fines from Microsoft.

Long story short, we pushed back to get licensing updated, she pushed back, we explained the risks and gave an ultimatum - either update your licensing, or we discontinue our services with them. She didn't want to update, we didn't renew their contract when it expired, they moved to another IT provider and last I heard they were going through an extremely messy Microsoft audit with fines that could potentially put said client out of business :lol:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 19, 2016

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

baquerd posted:

I once worked in a an office tower with some sort of primary building UPS's when the power went out entirely (building full of servers, financial traders, etc.). Turns out some guy put the wrong UPS into pass-through mode before testing that the battery back-up worked. Since I was working the night shift, I got to wake up the CEO at 2AM.

I've had a colo facility do basically the same thing on a generator test. They didn't have the UPS's in-circuit when they cut over from mains to generator. Oops. I didn't lose anything, but I did get to share a very busy afternoon with a cold facility full of other pissed off people. In the middle of the business day.

That's the 360 Spear St facility in San Francisco. Avoid it. I don't care if the idiots who ran it when I had hardware there sold it, nobody did an exorcism aft MCI sold it off.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

I'm cool with that. But of course my CFO is whining like a little baby and wants to go back to the old software and the old provider blah blah.

This is where I lost it. Yeah it sucks to have to adjust workflow and process. It's going to take time and work and training. Nobody is going to be happy. But in two months when reports that used to be fuzzy now generate crystal clear everybody will forget about how they used to do things.

To jump off of working software because it requires compliance enforcement that is hard to do right now is dumb as poo poo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A server has a hard drive with a flashing amber light.
It's a non-HP server with no visible manufacturer markings, and not only is there no iLO, there's no IPMI at all.
It has an asset tag, and our finance lady is really good about inventorying.
The company has written off this server, so we don't know when we bought it or who manufactured it.
Remote into the server, it's really slow. No management or monitoring programs are installed.
It's using an Intel onboard RAID, so I install the Intel RAID management tools. One of the drives is rebuilding.
Both drives are 250GB WD Blues in a RAID 1. My coworker suggests replacing them with 1TB Seagate Barracudas we had lying around.
This server is extremely business-critical, since it's the one with a fax card in it, plugged into our PRI line.
The fax card is a Brooktrout TRxStream, which is apparently a loving full-length board, which is probably why the previous IT team cobbled together some shitbox to house it in years ago.

e: My coworker suggested that I replace these disks with two 1TB Seagate Barracudas that, apparently, we just had lying around.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 19, 2016

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

A server has a hard drive with a flashing amber light.
It's a non-HP server with no visible manufacturer markings, and not only is there no iLO, there's no IPMI at all.
It has an asset tag, and our finance lady is really good about inventorying.
The company has written off this server, so we don't know when we bought it or who manufactured it.
Remote into the server, it's really slow. No management or monitoring programs are installed.
It's using an Intel onboard RAID, so I install the Intel RAID management tools. One of the drives is rebuilding.
Both drives are 250GB WD Blues in a RAID 1. My coworker suggests replacing them with 1TB Seagate Barracudas we had lying around.
This server is extremely business-critical, since it's the one with a fax card in it, plugged into our PRI line.
The fax card is a Brooktrout TRxStream, which is apparently a loving full-length board, which is probably why the previous IT team cobbled together some shitbox to house it in years ago.

e: My coworker suggested that I replace these disks with two 1TB Seagate Barracudas that, apparently, we just had lying around.

If maintaining that shitbox is a requirement, at least throw two cheap SSD's at it.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

The company has written off this server

This server is extremely business-critical

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

xzzy posted:

The douchiest firing I've witnessed was my last job in silicon valley, I was about to leave the area to move in with my future wife. About two days before I intended put in my notice my boss hinted he was going to terminate another guy in our group. He wasn't the highest quality worker in the world but he was competent and had just had a baby. Figured I'd try and help him out and clued my boss into the fact I was leaving and he was all "thanks for the offer but I think we're going to stick with our plan."

So they were out two employees that day. :iiam:

Pretty low on the jerk scale but I've had a pretty sheltered career.

The worst I have seen was at a small company where the husband was in charge of the company and the wife worked there but did not have authority to fire anyone or make any significant changes. If she wanted to updated a distribution list or any managed change we would email the husband to check first. A significant amount of the requests would be denied. The office manager there was not happy dealing with the wife in person and had quit twice before but somehow was talked back in to coming back in. We were helping to set up a new office location, normal last minute stuff, making sure the internet is turned on. Moving computers over the weekend. The office manager was not part of the move, IT only. Everything was setup and ready for Monday. A ticket comes in from the husband to disable the office managers account. We get a call from the office manager that email is not working and the office is locked. All we can say is to call your manager.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Re: fire chat I posted this a while ago but I love it so much.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The tech desk area had a small office to the back corner that was for a salesman. The guy that went back there always got fired with in a month. We hung an exit sign above the door, and whenever a sales guy got moved to it, he'd ask us about the sign. We'd say "oh you'll find out."

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Got a lovely email from a dumbass 'network administrator' that works for a client this morning. Doing a huge project for them, basically going to tear their entire domain apart and start over. New server, reconfiguring everything else, virtualizing yadda yadda. Anyways ole fuckknuckle decides to try and lay some issues they're having with a server hosting their accounting software at my feet. I told his rear end up front there was no way anything I was doing caused it - because I hadn't started doing anything. On Monday I had to go to their colo because I was having an issue with uninstalling the Pinto of Antivirus software in VIPRE off their server. It looked like VIPRE kinda halfway shut the machine off, I dunno it didn't matter because it wasn't production. I guess he figured that would be good enough reason to blame me.

Anyways I get called down to their site and want to make sure I can't be blamed for this. Got their software working again because dipshit turned on Windows Firewall and it was blocking the port needed for ODBC. I left a triumphant hero, everyone was amazed at what little knowledge I possess, and I can feel good about myself for 10 minutes.

Go to draft an email about what happened this evening and notice this poo poo is hosed up again. They use team viewer and I was able to connect to a server at the same site as the server holding the accounting software. From there I could RDP into the server that looked offline, yet it couldn't reach the DCs to log me in. Luckily they use the same password for everything so I logged in locally. Noticed it was assigned an IPv6 addy, tuned IPv6 off, voila it all works. Run Wireshark and test out DHCP and waddya loving know they have two devices offering up DHCP addresses and only one of them is on a subnet this company actually uses. Don't know where that AirPort Extreme is plugged in, but I doubt they'll find it because they're loving IT staff are incompetent and now I have to burn hours off this project on something totally unrelated to what they're paying us for.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

'Network administrator' that hasn't configured DHCP snooping. Lol.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

End users that don't know the first thing about their special snowflake systems.

There's a national agency in UK healthcare that deals with "bank" staff (nurses/doctors/etc working extra shifts in their off time to cover shortages) - there's user portals for signing up, organising the extra shifts you want to take, getting paid, etc and that is all fine and dandy and there's support from that form the national agency.

We've got two people at my hospital who do the management side of it (organising our bank staff, publishing shifts to over, etc) and they use some portal deployed via Citrix. They're having problems with certain functions through it (mostly printing, because it's always loving printing). It's not a local machine / Citrix receiver issue, it's a problem on the far end. Of course, the two people no nothing about the portal or how to fix anything with it, not the smallest thing. They have no support details for this portal at all. Not a thing, no phone, no email, no business relations contact at the national agency, nothing. I get they won't know much about Citrix (heck, neither do I, I just support a Cerner EPR), but not having any knowledge or contacts about your little snowflake app?

So our helpdesk has been doing all the legwork, trying to find any info online or any support they can try to give. Not my area at all and I only know it because one of the lead helpdesk people called me as "Your name's been floated because you know loads of odd facts no one else ever does..." Pointed them to the national 3rd line helpdesk that supports most national applications, hopefully they can do something or at least someone there knows someone who does IT at the national agency. Not my problem, but at least I could offer up something.

I know I'm being pissed off on behalf of our helpdesk people, but it just seems to happen why too much here.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 20, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh cool I need to create an account with Zebra to download loving label printer drivers.

Oh even cooler, they apparently have to manually approve the account creation!

gently caress. Printers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My boss is more and more wanting to understand how things work from a technical side. When he fails to get the concept, he is getting spooked and not wanting to do it. I have recently setup a one way trust with a subsidiary domain we have over a site to site vpn. Once he saw the word "trust" in the email I sent him he freaked out. "We shouldn't trust anything!" when speaking about the other site. It took a long time to get him to understand that the trust was one way and their office is forced to trust our end. He doesn't understand how site to site vpn works and why it works so well for our purposes. At this point its clear that this project has left his area of technical understanding and how he is being superstitious as the users.

He is afraid of my big voodoo magic.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh cool I need to create an account with Zebra to download loving label printer drivers.

Oh even cooler, they apparently have to manually approve the account creation!

gently caress. Printers.

what? Type in the printer model number here.

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads.html

I had no problem just pulling up the driver for our 220xi4 by typing it in there without being logged in
https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/printers/industrial/220xi4.html#downloadlistitem_9aa

Their site does say some downloads are restricted but I have no idea what that would be. Did you get the printer through UPS or Fedex? Both of them have really annoying processes about getting drivers for their custom firmware Zebras.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pixaal posted:

what? Type in the printer model number here.

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads.html

I had no problem just pulling up the driver for our 220xi4 by typing it in there without being logged in
https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/printers/industrial/220xi4.html#downloadlistitem_9aa

Their site does say some downloads are restricted but I have no idea what that would be. Did you get the printer through UPS or Fedex? Both of them have really annoying processes about getting drivers for their custom firmware Zebras.

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/printers/desktop/lp-2844.html#downloadlistitem_1e9

It doesn't even show up when I search on that first page you linked. loving absurdity.

Oh wait maybe I don't actually need the Setup Utility? I hate Zebra.

EDIT: It's me, I'm the poo poo pissing me off.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 20, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh wait maybe I don't actually need the Setup Utility? I hate Zebra.

Is this for Fedex or UPS? UPS and fedex actually have their own websites on Zebra as they load custom firmware to lock it down to their software.

UPS
Fedex

They will not work right with the normal driver. You shouldn't need an account for these either though. If you bought the printer yourself and are using it with Fedex or UPS you use the normal Zebra driver, but why would you, both offer free printers if you ship enough with them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pixaal posted:

Is this for Fedex or UPS? UPS and fedex actually have their own websites on Zebra as they load custom firmware to lock it down to their software.

UPS
Fedex

They will not work right with the normal driver. You shouldn't need an account for these either though. If you bought the printer yourself and are using it with Fedex or UPS you use the normal Zebra driver, but why would you, both offer free printers if you ship enough with them.

It's Fedex, I'm not sure where the printer came from originally. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm still waiting on FedEx to send the installer for ShipManager now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You got 2 options,
have them install it around lunch time and they will bring you food if you have a good rep and not charge you for any of it.
Or try this Canada? download I couldn't find a US one but this should still work fine.
I guess you could wait for the disc too.

During install you are asked for your shipping number so make sure you have that on hand, this is what they use as a CD key of sorts. Your shipping account with them will be flagged and it should automatically populate everything after that. Or that's how it works during upgrades.

Fedex and UPS will tell you you need 1 computer per each and any support will uninstall the other Zerbra printer as a troubleshooting step and not help you set it back up. UPS world ship and Fedex Ship Manager can work perfectly fine on the same computer with a UPS and a Fedex Zebra printer. You are just going to be on your own if you are trying to keep it to one computer. It really just works as long as you double check the driver, windows likes to see that you have 2 printers of the same model and change them to the same driver at random. I solved that issue by getting a different model UPS printer using their technology program to score a free printer. Haven't had an issue in over a year, used to be once every 2-3 weeks to switch the driver back. I basically don't hear anything from shipping now, and that's really nice.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

'Network administrator' that hasn't configured DHCP snooping. Lol.

A device got factory reset at their colo and was performing dhcp and acting as a DNS server for 11 or so sites :lol:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've been waiting well over a month for our networking folks to open a port in the firewall. They had the paperwork initially over a year ago, but last month they had an issue with the switches and firewalls and had to roll a bunch of things back, and this closed the once-open port. Re-sent the paperwork and sat back and waited. And waited. Yesterday got told the port was open again. It wasn't. Emailed the lead. "I'm out of the office until Oct 24." Motherfucker...

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've been waiting well over a month for our networking folks to open a port in the firewall. They had the paperwork initially over a year ago, but last month they had an issue with the switches and firewalls and had to roll a bunch of things back, and this closed the once-open port. Re-sent the paperwork and sat back and waited. And waited. Yesterday got told the port was open again. It wasn't. Emailed the lead. "I'm out of the office until Oct 24." Motherfucker...

If the change was already approved and in, why are you resubmitting paperwork. the closing of it is a fault.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

pixaal posted:

UPS world ship and Fedex Ship Manager can work perfectly fine on the same computer with a UPS and a Fedex Zebra printer. You are just going to be on your own if you are trying to keep it to one computer. It really just works as long as you double check the driver, windows likes to see that you have 2 printers of the same model and change them to the same driver at random. I solved that issue by getting a different model UPS printer using their technology program to score a free printer. Haven't had an issue in over a year, used to be once every 2-3 weeks to switch the driver back. I basically don't hear anything from shipping now, and that's really nice.
I have two workstations, both running Ups and FedEx, and they all use a single network-shared zp450 (Ups supplied). I don't remember having to jump through any hoops to set it up.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

sixth and maimed posted:

Shitiest fireing I was in my first job. The company was going down the drain, so every three months they'd lay off a bunch of people. Always less then 10% of the workforce because of local specific restructuring laws. So, one guy's phone would started rining and he'd go to the manager's office, then another guy's phone would ring, etc.

They also tried to gently caress us on the severance packages.

I've been in a situation like that too. Right after 2000 all IT work just went dead, so our smallish consulting company struggled. 1/3 of our crew got fired in one fell swoop - while we were all on a schooner cruise. "Oh by the way, we have to cut down on employees, so we have to let %People% go. What a fun four hours that was until we docked again and people didn't have to pretend having a good day.

Six months later they fired half of what was left. I got canned in that wave, but honestly I was relieved - the company was going under and everyone knew it, the question wasn't if we were getting fired, but when.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Crowley posted:

I've been in a situation like that too. Right after 2000 all IT work just went dead, so our smallish consulting company struggled. 1/3 of our crew got fired in one fell swoop - while we were all on a schooner cruise. "Oh by the way, we have to cut down on employees, so we have to let %People% go. What a fun four hours that was until we docked again and people didn't have to pretend having a good day.

Six months later they fired half of what was left. I got canned in that wave, but honestly I was relieved - the company was going under and everyone knew it, the question wasn't if we were getting fired, but when.

Only time I have lost a job without quitting was said to be because of the 'GFC'. It was out of nowhere. Two weeks later the owner of the company saw me pumping gas on night shift as it was the most immediate job I could get. He gave me my job back. I don't work for him anymore but I will always remember the shock in his eyes when he saw I went from an office to pumping his gas.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

KennyTheFish posted:

If the change was already approved and in, why are you resubmitting paperwork. the closing of it is a fault.

Because they couldn't find the paperwork and the work itself never documented that the port was open. The person who originally did the work left, and the person they hired to replace him apparently is still getting his feet wet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Humphreys posted:

Only time I have lost a job without quitting was said to be because of the 'GFC'. It was out of nowhere. Two weeks later the owner of the company saw me pumping gas on night shift as it was the most immediate job I could get. He gave me my job back. I don't work for him anymore but I will always remember the shock in his eyes when he saw I went from an office to pumping his gas.

One time, when I was sure I was getting fired for a huge mistake, I noticed the Starbucks I lived near was hiring so I got an application and everything. I knew the people so they were pretty cool about it.

I got to the office, nothing ever came of the mistake, and we barely talked about it. It was strange.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Thing pissing me everyone off today? DNS

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gounads posted:

Thing pissing me everyone off today? DNS

They're DDoS'ing Dyn

https://www.dynstatus.com/incidents/nlr4yrr162t8

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Welp that explains a lot.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Upgraded our Sonicwalls to newest firmware last night.

Woke up this morning to over 7000 emails in my inbox...

All the upgraded Sonicwalls decided to start detecting normal, completely legitimate network traffic as RST floods.. Nightly backups via SMB over the VPN? OMG FLOOD! Unifi controller traffic between the APs and controller? OMGOMG FLOOD!. SMNP traffic between some printers? Lets fire off an alert for every single packet!

They sent so many emails, apparently either Google or Mandrill started rate limiting them. I disabled the false positives an hour ago, but I am still receiving emails and they are from over 2 hours ago.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 21, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm still waiting on FedEx to send the installer for ShipManager now.

In order to get the installer, you have to log in to your FedEx account and file a request with their support.

FedEx will then ask of your contact name, business name, account #, and main business phone. All of the information except for the main business phone can be found from the admin panel of the account you logged into to make the request.

To change the contact phone if you don't know it, you have to call a different FedEx department and give them your account number and most recent invoice amount. All of this information can be found from the admin panel of the account you logged into to make the request.

I said it's ridiculous to make people jump through these hoops just to download the shipping software and they said it was for security reasons so that people couldn't just pretend to be us, yet all of the information needed to get the installer is behind a single account so why don't you just let me log in and download it you fuckers.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

stevewm posted:

Woke up this morning to over 7000 emails in my inbox...

All the upgraded Sonicwalls decided to start detecting normal, completely legitimate network traffic as RST floods.. Nightly backups via SMB over the VPN? OMG FLOOD! Unifi controller traffic between the APs and controller? OMGOMG FLOOD!. SMNP traffic between some printers? Lets fire off an alert for every single packet!

They sent so many emails, apparently either Google or Mandrill started rate limiting them. I disabled the false positives an hour ago, but I am still receiving emails and they are from over 2 hours ago.

At an old job we used to manage firewalls for clients. Every so often a client would schedule a pen test (usually at like 3am) and not tell us, so we'd suddenly get flooded with alerts as the firewalls got the poo poo scanned out of them. Some of them were large enough that we'd get alerts in faster than we could delete them and the mail buffers would fill up and start rejecting incoming mail outright.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I've been attending meetings that don't, to me, have any sort of focus towards a resolution.

As a good person I've been challenging myself to be more accepting, and understanding, so I've been trying to put myself in place of the attendees to understand what they're on about. Normally this works, and I can translate my language into theirs, and understand what they're really looking to do.

Here, I can't and it is driving me up a wall. It seems as though to avoid getting snared in technical challenges, they've chosen to simply disregard them. Questions about resourcing, demand, bandwidth, and pricing - when it comes to network services anyways - are important. "Cloud" doesn't just arrive for free - how much usage do you intend to have? All of it? Do you have all of the money?

We're already into the stage of demos and evaluations of products that do similar things, but, not the same things. There are key differentiators that are a result of misunderstanding what is being asked for an evaluating products not on an equal basis. Entire obstacles and use cases are left out of the scope for ~reasons~ but they don't seem as though they should be.

I've been told to not think technically, and I think I actually went a touch insane for a few minutes trying to work out my boggle on just what is we're trying to do, or how we're attempting to do it. I don't get it. I think the entire meeting (which has been going on much longer than I've been attending) has developed its own momentum and just happens because it does without any purpose.

Are zombie meetings a thing?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

stevewm posted:

[...]

Found your problem there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Hey cisco, do you think that you could fix the bug where when I add a local network to a site to site-to-site vpn that it doesn't automatically make a nat exception? I mean you automatically make them if you are creating a new site to site connection for a reason. Its the only way they work. Tired of troubleshooting dumb problems because I assume you would be doing what makes sense.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Found your problem there.

Yeah... We were kind of forced to. I generally leave the firmware alone unless it's a security issue, but they apparently dropped SHA1 support from the domain the things use to sync licensing and security updates. So I had to update the firmware to keep that stuff working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Partycat posted:

Are zombie meetings a thing?

Absolutely.

My theory is that these types of meetings are a way of dealing with their feelings of helplessness. They don't really know what they're doing, so they hold pointless meetings to feel like they have accomplished something.