Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

It's a separate key from GMG, check your GMG account or confirmation e-mail.

Ah, two codes in confirmation email. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bubbacub posted:

This thread has pulled a real 180 from the "never preorder a game" sentiment.

B-but sales!

(No one ever said goons were smart. Myself included in that.)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

We have principles, but also poor impulse control

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
No one claimed to be consistent with their beliefs. :v:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

We have principles, but also poor impulse control

This is pretty much my life's motto.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KyloWinter posted:

^The devs have been pretty transparent about what you are getting in civ 6 with all the prerelease editions given out to youtubers etc.

Honestly I think that's probably one of the best milestones for if you should pre-order a game. "How transparent are the devs" The more transparent the more confident they are in it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Alkydere posted:

Honestly I think that's probably one of the best milestones for if you should pre-order a game. "How transparent are the devs" The more transparent the more confident they are in it.

Ya. It's nice. The AI in this game looks pretty bad so far. There's little war and the AI guy said he's never run a total AI game where an AI has won the domination victory. But it's nice that they but the AI guy on stream and he was very honest about the shortcomings of the AI. With release in less than 48 hours I doubt that they will make huge strides in the AI, but hey at least we know what the product will look like on release day.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Changes they could make to eurekas.

1. Have the eureka grant a smaller amount of science progress towards the research
2. Make the eureka harder to obtain by having more difficult requirements to obtain, or have multiple requirements
3. Make the eureka harder to obtain by making some eurekas globally unique. Eg, in the modern era patents prevent more than one Civ from getting a Eureka on radio broadcasting as an example.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's wrong with the eurekas now?

Toga
Oct 13, 2016
If anything, now that the AI's shortcomings are known, it might be the first thing to be modded as soon as modding kicks off.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Which Civ game would be the best for good AI, Civ 4?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Olive Branch posted:

Which Civ game would be the best for good AI, Civ 4?

No Civ game had particularly good AI, but doomstacks play to the military AI's strengths (overwhelming production) rather than its weakness (moving things around in a sensible manner without taking forever to calculate), so it was less obvious. Or necessary, if you look at it that way; it was Good Enough for what it needed to do.

That said, I'm bad enough at the game that I play on Prince anyhow (or whatever the middle difficulty is, I don't remember) so it's not going to matter to me. :v: I get fun games out of it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KyloWinter posted:

Ya. It's nice. The AI in this game looks pretty bad so far. There's little war and the AI guy said he's never run a total AI game where an AI has won the domination victory. But it's nice that they but the AI guy on stream and he was very honest about the shortcomings of the AI. With release in less than 48 hours I doubt that they will make huge strides in the AI, but hey at least we know what the product will look like on release day.

And compare this to V's release where Firaxis held everything close to their chest and had promised the AI would behave more like players. Which in turn translated to "would hate the player and be completely random, unpredictable and not to mention entirely obfuscated and opaque". They literally had to patch in the ability for the player to see the like/hate modifiers.

In all I'd rather have an honest and realistic admission that the AI is not the brightest.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
^Agree with you on that.

Jay Rust posted:

What's wrong with the eurekas now?

Have you seen the livestream AI battle? Have you watched any playthroughs on youtube? Have you read the last page of this thread?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They make the tech tree go by really, really quickly. Reducing them, increasing tech costs, and/or making their requirements more difficult is probably going to be a popular mod and/or balance request.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If the argument is that scientific progress is too fast, the answer isn't, in a vacuum, to nerf eurekas. Yes, eurekas make science twice as fast, but twice as fast as what? You're comparing to an arbitrary baseline anyway. If you want to change how fast science progresses, then the dials to tweak are science costs and science income.

Changing the effectiveness of eurekas doesn't particularly change the rate of science any more effectively than changing the baseline rate would, but what it DOES do is change the incentives for achieving eurekas. By making eurekas harder or less rewarding, you are discouraging the players from attempting to achieve them.

Right now, eurekas themselves are in a good place. By being easy to do, the assumption is that you achieve all or nearly all of them, and the science rate can be balanced around that assumption. By being rewarding to do, they shape play so that you explore a wide cross section of game elements in game.

All that being said, I do think the raw numbers of science progess do need a tweaking. Space race in 1800 isn't exactly NEW for the series, but you should at least have to be TRYING to achieve that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Honestly the only thing I feel is that the AI should perhaps be a bit more aggressive. We really didn't see that much warmongering.

Then again, Spain got turbofucked by start so it couldn't get started Conquistadoring, Greece got a too juicy of a start for Gorgo to really want to conquer instead of building up, and Monty did chomp down on a city state early on at least.

However, I'm honestly quite fine with the AI as is for the most part, especially since turns were lightning quick compared to V.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tendales posted:

If the argument is that scientific progress is too fast, the answer isn't, in a vacuum, to nerf eurekas. Yes, eurekas make science twice as fast, but twice as fast as what? You're comparing to an arbitrary baseline anyway. If you want to change how fast science progresses, then the dials to tweak are science costs and science income.

Changing the effectiveness of eurekas doesn't particularly change the rate of science any more effectively than changing the baseline rate would, but what it DOES do is change the incentives for achieving eurekas. By making eurekas harder or less rewarding, you are discouraging the players from attempting to achieve them.

Right now, eurekas themselves are in a good place. By being easy to do, the assumption is that you achieve all or nearly all of them, and the science rate can be balanced around that assumption. By being rewarding to do, they shape play so that you explore a wide cross section of game elements in game.

All that being said, I do think the raw numbers of science progess do need a tweaking. Space race in 1800 isn't exactly NEW for the series, but you should at least have to be TRYING to achieve that.

Yeah, I'm not exactly bothered myself, I'm just explaining the stuff I've been seeing. I like them as they are, more or less, and think that most changes could/should be elsewhere.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly, I'm still pretty optimistic for this, there were some pretty noticeable issues in the game, but they seem fixable. Seems like the big three issues are tech speed, aggression and unit upgrading.

Slow down science progression through whatever means (I think just making techs cost like 25% more or something might be all that's really needed, but I'm just some dumbass who hasn't even played the game yet) and increase the AI's willingness to pull the trigger in the first half of the game.

Unit upgrading might be a bit tougher than the other ones, since I'm not entirely sure what mechanics will make the best work of it.

Alkydere posted:

Then again, Spain got turbofucked by start so it couldn't get started Conquistadoring, Greece got a too juicy of a start for Gorgo to really want to conquer instead of building up, and Monty did chomp down on a city state early on at least.

The Aztecs also seemed pretty occupied with their other agenda: Wonders

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I've been a huge fan of the Civilization series and have sunk hundreds of hours into each iteration. This is the one series I'm confident preordering with because I know I'll play the hell out of it eventually.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i had a quick look at what happened to civ5's community manager at launch (who is goon), looks like he's gotten out of the biz, doesnt seem to be following civ6 at all

he's still cool because he's still running a pitboss tracker website for the civ4 community (i hope civ6 has a pitboss mode)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Godmachine posted:

I've been a huge fan of the Civilization series and have sunk hundreds of hours into each iteration. This is the one series I'm confident preordering with because I know I'll play the hell out of it eventually.

:same:

I thought Civ 5 was the weakest Civ I've played (started with 3) and I still put 500 hours into it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bubbacub posted:

Lets be honest, this is a flagship Civ game, and we're posting on somethingawful.com~

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also im getting civ6 for significantly less than what i paid for civ5

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phobophilia posted:

also im getting civ6 for significantly less than what i paid for civ5

I got 6 and all its forthcoming DLC (virtually guaranteed to make the game significantly better, regardless of its it good or bad at launch) for, what, $4 more than the MSRP of the base? I'll be happy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Preordering 6 months ago is dumb. Ordering the game after seeing it 24 hours before release is fine.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I am so glad there's no tech trading like there wasn't in V. Tech trading was always horrendous because you'd inevitably get the AI constantly beg you for a tech for free as a gift and of course huge negative penalty for "not helping them".

Almost as bad as how the AI always valued its poo poo maps 100x what yours were worth. I remember having the whole world explored aside from Egypt and Hetseptsut or however the gently caress you spell her name wanted my map and all my gold for her poo poo map of 3 cities

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

jivjov posted:

all its forthcoming DLC (virtually guaranteed to make the game significantly better, regardless of its it good or bad at launch)
Maybe this a wording thing, but you got the next four small DLCs which will be a mix of civs, leaders, scenarios and map packs. Those are incredibly unlikely to have mechanical changes that will alter the game. Whatever the expansion is that is probably at least a year out is not included in the Deluxe version.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So anyone got some decent VPNs they like to use? Because I am totally playing this after work tomorrow.

...Perhaps I should play Japan in honor of me suddenly moving to Japan for a day?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Alkydere posted:

...Perhaps I should play Japan in honor of me suddenly moving to Japan for a day?

Does Bushido Code allow this behavior?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe this a wording thing, but you got the next four small DLCs which will be a mix of civs, leaders, scenarios and map packs. Those are incredibly unlikely to have mechanical changes that will alter the game. Whatever the expansion is that is probably at least a year out is not included in the Deluxe version.

Huh...that's what I get for not reading. Oh well, at least I get more Civs

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
The biggest thing I noticed in the battle royal was that the AI was really bad at upgrading its units. You had civilizations that had hit the medieval era but were still using slingers and had armies of warrior running around.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 31, 2022

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

I'd like to see two or three smaller eurekas on each tech. Like, three different things you can do, each of which provide a 15-20% boost. That way, it can sort of be assumed that you'll do one or two of them, but to do all three would take effort, and require more focus on getting that specific tech faster.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Star Warrior X posted:

I'd like to see two or three smaller eurekas on each tech. Like, three different things you can do, each of which provide a 15-20% boost. That way, it can sort of be assumed that you'll do one or two of them, but to do all three would take effort, and require more focus on getting that specific tech faster.

This sounds like a bit more complicated than it needs to be. I honestly think the Eureka system is fine as is, though tech costs and prerequisites are not what they should be. I'd like to see more inter-dependency between techs and civis to prevent beelining, and tech costs to scale up more with each era.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Kinda sucks how fast the tech tree seems to go by. I can understand entering the Industrial Era in the 11th century from a human player with a really good start/strategy, but not from the Aztecs on King difficulty. It's only going to get worse the higher you go in difficulty too.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I really don't see what the big deal is in a game where launching an interstellar spaceship in the 17th century is not only normal, but a metric for success on higher difficulties. Play Eu4 if you want technology levels to be narrowly constrained to historical dates. Civilization is not a history simulator, it's a history themed strategy board game that plays loose with reality.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I really don't see what the big deal is in a game where launching an interstellar spaceship in the 17th century is not only normal, but a metric for success on higher difficulties. Play Eu4 if you want technology levels to be narrowly constrained to historical dates. Civilization is not a history simulator, it's a history themed strategy board game that plays loose with reality.

Honestly if WW2 didn't happen humans probably would have been on the moon around 1885 anyway.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Joink posted:

Honestly if WW2 didn't happen humans probably would have been on the moon around 1885 anyway.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Maybe Einstein invents time travel instead of nukes. But I think that just leads to the plot of Red Alert.