Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Which Wave did the Jenner IIC come in on? I wonder if there might be a sale soon with it. Sure it's a minor at best discount but I'm not in a super rush at the moment.

You could kind of say Origins II-C is Clan Wave 4 though since they were all battlemechs it's kind of fuzzy. It was one of the last mech packs before going to the current "one mech and variants" model if I recall correctly.

Supernova looks perfectly fine I guess? Doesn't stand out from the crowd but I can't see it being anything worse than okay. The hero even looks good (of course it does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Q_res posted:

2 medium lasers, four SRM4s, biggest standard engine you can fit. Spring for Endo, you can fit Artemis and a bigger engine. I think that's pretty good.

currently running a STD225 in mine with 4xASRM4, 2xML. great little bot. great missile bay placements.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

My Warhansa order arrived. I haven't looked them all over yet, but so far the best of the lot in terms of quality is the Black Knight (not a surprise, they ran out and had to make a new batch of Black Knights to fulfill my order which delayed shipment a week). It stays together without glue and does so without being floppy or wobbly, and only needed minimal flash trimming.

The biggest loser is the Stalker, which seems to have had a mold problem and can't be pieced together without serious drilling. It's bad enough I'm not entirely certain I can salvage it.

The Atlas is properly huge, and the one I got had only minor flash problems. I want to say it's roughly 20-25% bigger than the Ral Partha / Iron Wind Metals model (I measured it, it's 2 1/4 inches (5 3/4 cm) tall). I don't have IWM Atlas to compare it to, but once I've finished assembly I'll take a shot of it next to some of the 'real' models so you can get a feel for how huge it is.

The big mechs have a tendency to get bubbles, extra plastic bulges, etc. I've had a few go that way.
Most of the MWO 3d prints tend to be the same or bigger than equivalent CBT minis.
Most attempts at the MWO atlas from various sources are real brutes.

LotB has a more expensive option, but it's on flavour of the day rotation printing, although you can order other previous prints and hope the guy gets around to your list sooner or later with whatever he's currently having printed.
There are two other options I think also, but getting access is tricky.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Would love to see the model PTN; are you planning on painting them? I have to admit I am tempted by the Warhansa stuff, and I hate owning things that don't have a use.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The KDK-2, DWF-S and Executioner can already do the same. And might actually be better, since the model looks like it comes with quite low slung arms. And we're also going to have the Marauder-IIC by then, which also has some Jump Jet capable Variants. And should have better hardpoint placement.

I dare say that the SuperNova is a Mech that might be interesting but will probably be surpased by other Mechs. Though it might be saved by quirks/hit locations.

The jumpjets on all three of those are bad, in a not-worth-the-tonnage kinda way. Been playing a lot of the EXEs lately, mastering them, but you don't really get enough height on it to actually poptart; if you try, you're not going to have enough fuel to get high enough & then let go of the jets to stop the reticle from being dumb. The Direwolf and Kodiak get even less height since they weigh more and that's how that works in this game. The Supernova would be a little better off since it's lighter (25.4m instead of 24.06m) but it maxes out at three jumpjets, so it's got 19ish meters of height instead. (Side note: despite being saddled with eight tons of bad jumpjets, the Executioner is actually pretty good, and more importantly, it's really really fun. The MASC adds a lot of value for four tons, just starting to get speed tweak now and it goes 90 with MASC. Been having a lot of great games with it, it's a nasty brawler.)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Remind me again why the 1E right torso on the loyalty Hellbringer, literally the only thing it brings to the table, makes it worthy of being a reward.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Did a couple Huntsmen drops after work. It's a pretty legit mech because even not giving a poo poo I can get kills and a nice score.
2x LPL and 3x SRM6 (no artemis) if you're wondering.

Need a "Wolverines" logo to match the woodland camo.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I am super-bad at making my own mech builds but I wanted to try out the loyalty Cataphract. I put 2 LPLs in the nipples and an AC/10 with 3 tons of ammo and put in the largest Standard engine I could fit, something like 67kph/h without speedtweak. I am sure it sucks but the nipple-mounts are pretty nice so there's that.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

I am super-bad at making my own mech builds but I wanted to try out the loyalty Cataphract. I put 2 LPLs in the nipples and an AC/10 with 3 tons of ammo and put in the largest Standard engine I could fit, something like 67kph/h without speedtweak. I am sure it sucks but the nipple-mounts are pretty nice so there's that.

You could go full-nipple and stuff PPCs in there.
Which would be terrible since you should never ever use unquirked ppcs, but efficiency has to make way for sexy.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Remind me again why the 1E right torso on the loyalty Hellbringer, literally the only thing it brings to the table, makes it worthy of being a reward.

It doesnt, its all about the cb boost of the ct.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, 30% Cbill boost is really the only thing going for it. Though I thought the arms were at least a little interesting, combining the Prime and B arm hardpoint setups.

edit: EBJ-A

I got asked about this build last night grouping. It's effective when the CT doesn't melt because I'm getting focused over Assaults...

Q_res fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 19, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

aniviron posted:

Would love to see the model PTN; are you planning on painting them? I have to admit I am tempted by the Warhansa stuff, and I hate owning things that don't have a use.

I am, which means they're getting the full treatment today. (soaking, toothbrushing, rinsing).

The King Crab is one I know everyone's interested in, but it's going to need serious touch-ups. They send both 'open' and 'closed' claws, but the open claws are hollow which means the resin is too thin. I'm going to have to fill it with two-part epoxy to feel good about painting it, otherwise the first little bump and I'm sure the top of the claw is snapping off. It's definitely not a model for beginners.

I can't recommend the Black Knight strongly enough, though. It's small enough that it's unlikely to have mold problems. Here it is, unpainted and unglued standing next to an IWM Black Knight (which also aren't immune to mold problems, as you can tell from the misaligned PPC). It's got the fewest bits, admittedly (5, the hips and torso are molded together) which is part of why it's so stable.

And here's the Stalker. Nearly all of the right-side connectors are filled with resin, but it's so bad it feels like a fluke rather than a faulty mold. I'd still probably avoid getting one, but only because the torso is so thick it's bound to have bubbling issues.

The Atlas is also capable of standing under its own power (barely) and is probably what I'd consider 'average' quality among the `Mechs I received. There was a fair bit of resin flash to trim but none of it was in any particularly awkward places. It's definitely big enough to be a centerpiece of an army without being too big to use. It does fit on its hex base and because its so tall its arms aren't likely to interfere with other `Mechs.

Edit: Oh, and the bottom of the Awesome's left foot is labeled "Acid Megatron" which seems to be the original "Not Awesome" name before they decided on Valhalla Gun. The right foot has "Awesome" printed on it, as well as a big RL... which is necessary because the feet were molded separately from the leg.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 19, 2016

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I'm saying gently caress it and giving it a try anyways. If nothing else I will enjoy running about like a pubbie for a few days until my frustration takes hold again.

When I loaded in, it forced me to play a tutorial before letting me look at my mechs. And the entire mech-equipping interface is now massive kinds of wonk.
I just want to stomp around in a big angry robbit an shoot things. Why must this be so hard? :negative:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Cobbsprite posted:

I just want to stomp around in a big angry robbit an shoot things. Why must this be so hard? :negative:

You know the answer

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Cobbsprite posted:

When I loaded in, it forced me to play a tutorial before letting me look at my mechs. And the entire mech-equipping interface is now massive kinds of wonk.

On the plus side, that tutorial is worth about five million c-bucks to buy stuff to wonk with. And the interface is the worst, except for all the previous interfaces.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Those are looking pretty promising, despite the issues. Thanks for posting them, would love to see the rest when they're presentable.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

aniviron posted:

Those are looking pretty promising, despite the issues. Thanks for posting them, would love to see the rest when they're presentable.

The Atlas and Black Knight are the only two that can stand unaided right now (the rest have some weird issues or are retrograde `Mechs that won't stand without help no matter what).

The Stalker's cleaning up a little better than I'd hoped, so it'll probably be the first one I prime, paint, and assemble.

I went a bit overboard, and there're a couple I'm planning on showing off earlier rather than later, but here's what I picked up:

Inner Sphere:
Atlas
King Crab
Stalker
Awesome
Black Knight
Warhammer
Raven
Spider

Clan:
Warhawk
Timber Wolf
Hellbringer
Ebon Jaguar
Stormcrow

Wherever possible I'm going to compare them with a matching Iron Winds Metals model, but I don't own the official versions of all of them and some I'll be comparing to the ancient box-set plastics.

Let me know if there're any you'd like a look at and I'll see what I can do... the only one I really worry about is the Spider since its feet are tiny and separate from the legs. :gonk:

I should mention: Shipping was $7 for the lot, airmail, so I got the order very quickly (it took 3 weeks, and one of those was them making a Black Knight for me).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 19, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's quite a decent turnaround time to be sure. The ones that interest me the most are the King Crab, Warhawk, Awesome, and Raven- but no need to rush things on my account, if you were planning to post updates at some point anyway I'll see them sooner or later, whether they're here or in the Battletech thread or in your LP.

I know it's a pain, but a part of me is happy that most of the mechs have trouble standing up. Seems very appropriate for Battletech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's a problem the Iron Winds designs usually have, at least the ones that come with separate arms and legs. As a general rule the more parts something has the less likely it is to be able to stand, which is why the Black Knight (5 parts) and Atlas (6 parts) can, the Warhammer (6 parts that matter) almost can, while the Timberwolf (9 parts) can't.

I have yet to encounter a bird-legged `Mech that can stand without glue, although I haven't tried piecing the Raven together yet either.

Edit: And if the Stalker hadn't had a mold issue, it almost definitely could've done so.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 19, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

aniviron posted:

The jumpjets on all three of those are bad, in a not-worth-the-tonnage kinda way. Been playing a lot of the EXEs lately, mastering them, but you don't really get enough height on it to actually poptart; if you try, you're not going to have enough fuel to get high enough & then let go of the jets to stop the reticle from being dumb. The Direwolf and Kodiak get even less height since they weigh more and that's how that works in this game. The Supernova would be a little better off since it's lighter (25.4m instead of 24.06m) but it maxes out at three jumpjets, so it's got 19ish meters of height instead. (Side note: despite being saddled with eight tons of bad jumpjets, the Executioner is actually pretty good, and more importantly, it's really really fun. The MASC adds a lot of value for four tons, just starting to get speed tweak now and it goes 90 with MASC. Been having a lot of great games with it, it's a nasty brawler.)

If youre trying to use the JJs on an EXE for poptarting, youre doing it so wrong. Jumpturns in combat and general map traversal all the way. Fuckin no-one expects an assault to drop out of the sky behind them from a roof.
Also, if you have ERLLs or PPCs, the jets are exactly powerful enough to get you to good sniping spots, as long as you know how to work em.
On river city I run around on top of the apartment buildings or citadel all the time.

e: also, those prints actually look pretty good. Can't wait to see them properly done up.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 19, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So, for the loyalty blackjack are we just running 4xASRM4, Std235 and heatsinks/ammo to taste? It seems to leave a lot of empty slots. I tried ASRM6's, but it'd mean compromising on engine a lot.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Confirming that A-SRM6s do not work very well with the loyalty blackjack.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
What, exactly, are these loyalty mechs and how are they obtained?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
There was an event recently, if you spent money buying MC or mechs, you got a free mech with a unique layout and colour scheme. It's too late to spend money to get them now, and they weren't a hugely great deal in any case, in my opinion.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

vorebane posted:

There was an event recently, if you spent money buying MC or mechs, you got a free mech with a unique layout and colour scheme. It's too late to spend money to get them now, and they weren't a hugely great deal in any case, in my opinion.

85 bucks for a Stalker. gently caress.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

85 bucks for a Stalker. gently caress.

What? No, that's ridiculous! You're completely wrong!

The ECM Stalker costs a mere eighty bucks :eng101:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got it and I also needed the Mauler and Black Knight so it worked fine for me

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: And if the Stalker hadn't had a mold issue, it almost definitely could've done so.

The Ebon Jaguar stands unaided, which is a huge advance over the IWM model which doesn't even want to stand up after you've glued it to a hex base (it's very back-heavy).

Downside is, it's not really recognizable as a Cauldron Born. It winds up looking much more like a Black Python.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

If youre trying to use the JJs on an EXE for poptarting, youre doing it so wrong. Jumpturns in combat and general map traversal all the way. Fuckin no-one expects an assault to drop out of the sky behind them from a roof.
Also, if you have ERLLs or PPCs, the jets are exactly powerful enough to get you to good sniping spots, as long as you know how to work em.
On river city I run around on top of the apartment buildings or citadel all the time.

I'm not really a jump sniping kinda guy, two of my three EXEs have optimum ranges under 300m; trying it was mostly for science. That said, I still don't feel like they provide much utility for how heavy they are. It takes eight tons and you still can't get from out of the canyon in Canyon Network unless you take a run up with MASC and even then you need to pick a shallow part of the cliff. Horizontal traversal isn't much better, I haven't been able to leap from one side of the canyon to the other even with MASC, though I did not have speed tweak last time I tried it. The jets are so slow and so floaty that it's almost always faster to go around small obstructions than jump over them as well. The jets do give some use, but for the weight it's terrible utility, and I'd much prefer a version with just MASC.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

hey, why can't i buy the new loyalty summoner omnipods? Or do they take a while to hit the general populace?

I seem to recall the novapods were fairly quick to release.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Are Night Gyrs good?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
They look like Scopedogs, for what that's worth.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

aniviron posted:

I'm not really a jump sniping kinda guy, two of my three EXEs have optimum ranges under 300m; trying it was mostly for science. That said, I still don't feel like they provide much utility for how heavy they are. It takes eight tons and you still can't get from out of the canyon in Canyon Network unless you take a run up with MASC and even then you need to pick a shallow part of the cliff. Horizontal traversal isn't much better, I haven't been able to leap from one side of the canyon to the other even with MASC, though I did not have speed tweak last time I tried it. The jets are so slow and so floaty that it's almost always faster to go around small obstructions than jump over them as well. The jets do give some use, but for the weight it's terrible utility, and I'd much prefer a version with just MASC.

While I understand where you're coming from, I do believe that (and im aware this makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat) youre just using them wrong. Hop in the mumble with us some time when i'm playing my EXE. I sprint and jump all over the map in that thing, outmaneuvering and outraversing some our mediums, much less our heavies or assaults. "How the hell did you get up there" is a pretty common refrain.
Just tonight I killed 2 marauders alone in like 30sec because they literally couldnt look up to shoot back at me while i ruined them with my arm lasers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TheParadigm posted:

hey, why can't i buy the new loyalty summoner omnipods? Or do they take a while to hit the general populace?

They take a while. I think the last set of loyalty mechs/pods took eight months before they were available to the unwashed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheParadigm posted:

Can't buy omnipods from any mech chassis not available for c-bills.

Yes this includes heroes/variants that you actually own as well. No duplicate omnipods - you have to cannibalise mechs instead.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

DancingShade posted:

Can't buy omnipods from any mech chassis not available for c-bills.

Yes this includes heroes/variants that you actually own as well. No duplicate omnipods - you have to cannibalise mechs instead.

Well, you could always buy another hero... :pgi:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rysithusiku posted:

While I understand where you're coming from, I do believe that (and im aware this makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat) youre just using them wrong. Hop in the mumble with us some time when i'm playing my EXE. I sprint and jump all over the map in that thing, outmaneuvering and outraversing some our mediums, much less our heavies or assaults. "How the hell did you get up there" is a pretty common refrain.
Just tonight I killed 2 marauders alone in like 30sec because they literally couldnt look up to shoot back at me while i ruined them with my arm lasers.

After i elite this treacle-esque maller this has to be next

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I logged in yesterday not having paid any attention to the Customer Appreciation thing this year and and realized I had qualified for all the rewards, so... gently caress. On the one hand, I guess I get a bunch more cool robbits that I didn't know I was getting. On the other hand I am completely done giving PGI any money for quite some time, just on the basis that I've already given them way way way too much. Are the two Summoners worth doing anything with? I'm new to Summoners.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

Are the two Summoners worth doing anything with? I'm new to Summoners.

1. Take-off the RT/LT of one of those and put it in the other.
2. Add 2 arms with 2 Energy Hardpoints each.
3. Install 6 x Medium Pulse Laser, a single Active Probe (CT) and all the DHS
4. Profit & fun*

*fun in MWO is not guaranteed.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nice, a clan heavy with the firepower of a crab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Just make a all SRM Summoner and call it a day.

• Locked thread