Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if i could only play blitzball if it meant the next fallout would NOT be on the gamebryo engine..i'd finally understand that the hell blitzball is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

If it have spent almost five years logged into any video game, you should seek help.

I've seen worse. I knew someone who had multiple accounts and systems active at once so they could group with themselves.

Not saying you're wrong, of course, but there's always worse. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

spit on my clit posted:

if i could only play blitzball if it meant the next fallout would NOT be on the gamebryo engine..i'd finally understand that the hell blitzball is

Blitzball wasn't actually bad under two conditions.
1. You accepted that it wasn't a real sports game, it was just spreadsheets with visuals.
2. You used the goal glitch until you got someone who could score from anywhere on the field.

Then it wasn't so bad because it just became a matter of passing to that one guy and getting instant goals.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

spit on my clit posted:

yeah, i meant Xenoblade X

here's another gripe about it: Mastermind is the only class path that looked interesting, and yet its the worst of them

I love that the endgame for Xenoblade X is "use very specific builds to cheese the bosses or get one shot because we thought it was a good idea to have monster damage to keep scaling up but not the player's health and defenses." Like, there's no in-between. Either the bosses are absolutely zero threat, or they one-shot you because you aren't literally invincible/they aren't asleep/toppled the whole fight.

Also the story was just kind of insulting, which is weird because some of the side missions were pretty good.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I liked chaos theory's lockpicking.

and oblivions once I got the skeleton key

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hey speaking of things dragging Skyrim's lockpicking down, you get its skeleton key from the second last quest of the lovely thieves guild questline and lose it in the next. Compare to Oblivion where it's a reward for an independent fetch quest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Blitzball wasn't actually bad under two conditions.
1. You accepted that it wasn't a real sports game, it was just spreadsheets with visuals.
2. You used the goal glitch until you got someone who could score from anywhere on the field.

Then it wasn't so bad because it just became a matter of passing to that one guy and getting instant goals.

And also that even if you are good at blitzball, that first game at the cup is nigh-unwinnable and just an awful tutorial.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

AlphaKretin posted:

Hey speaking of things dragging Skyrim's lockpicking down, you get its skeleton key from the second last quest of the lovely thieves guild questline and lose it in the next. Compare to Oblivion where it's a reward for an independent fetch quest.

Man that was the dumbest thing of all loving time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Everything about the Skyrim Thieves' Guild was astoundingly terrible. I like Shamus Young's breakdown of it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I used a lockpick mod almost exclusively for skyrim. I cant imagine how much time i saved by seeing exactly where to position the pick every time, and i have over 1000 hours logged in skyrim.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Especially because lockpicking is pretty loving easy even on master-level locks and you can steal everything you can click on with 20 lockpicking.

It would probably be less interesting but more effective if lockpicking was a fixed yes/no based on your lockpicking rank.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Especially because lockpicking is pretty loving easy even on master-level locks and you can steal everything you can click on with 20 lockpicking.

It would probably be less interesting but more effective if lockpicking was a fixed yes/no based on your lockpicking rank.

At least in skyrim where you can do that. In fallout 3 you weren't allowed to try to unlock something unless you met the level requirement.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Dewgy posted:

I've seen worse. I knew someone who had multiple accounts and systems active at once so they could group with themselves.

Not saying you're wrong, of course, but there's always worse. :v:

the worst i do is my limited farming runs of voidwatch. Due to the way the event runs, it is insanely profitable to multibox. Worst i've done is 6 characters at once.

I'm also not the only person with my account login.

To give you guys an idea of why my playtime is so long, it'd be helpful to explain some of the older content in the game like ground kings. Ground kings were a timed spawn that would only spawn exactly 21 to 24 hours after previous death, in 30 minute increments.Then there were the HQ versions that were 3 to 7 day random spawns off that. Small spawn area, really rigid spawn conditions, piss easy to bot-claim or track.

Then there were other high end rare spawns that were 3+ day random spawns. This shitsockery culminated with ixion and sandworm who were 3-5+ day spawns across several zones. Ixion had the added bullshittery of being spookable. if a player ran into him, he would despawn and repop in15 minutes to 3 hours. Since servers were unsegregated, Players were known for insane poo poo like holding these monsters for 12+ hours to get into their 'timezone' and spooking ixion over and over until other groups quit.

Bonus content: The clickthru warning every time you log into ff11.

frodnonnag has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Oct 20, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A number of areas in the base game of Dark Souls 2: SOFS for PC look a lot like something out of Tomb Raider, circa 1996. Just large, flatly-lit , repeating textures unbroken by any visual complexity. What other games have suffered poor or inconsistent graphics because of a lacking artistic direction?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Miijhal posted:

I love that the endgame for Xenoblade X is "use very specific builds to cheese the bosses or get one shot because we thought it was a good idea to have monster damage to keep scaling up but not the player's health and defenses." Like, there's no in-between. Either the bosses are absolutely zero threat, or they one-shot you because you aren't literally invincible/they aren't asleep/toppled the whole fight.

Also the story was just kind of insulting, which is weird because some of the side missions were pretty good.

It was really strange how the story was just kinda barely there after Xenoblade was an extremely story-focused game. I still liked it, but it felt like a missed opportunity. I'd rather they had just scrapped the character sidequests and put all that work into main story content.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

I liked chaos theory's lockpicking.

and oblivions once I got the skeleton key

The dumbest thing about oblivion's skeleton key is that it doesn't auto succeed. And skyrim's, for that matter.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

It was really strange how the story was just kinda barely there after Xenoblade was an extremely story-focused game. I still liked it, but it felt like a missed opportunity. I'd rather they had just scrapped the character sidequests and put all that work into main story content.

That would have been better than the system they went with. I hit a point where I had to go grind a few levels before I hit the requirement to do a mission that was a prerequisite to the next story mission iirc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Everything about the Skyrim Thieves' Guild was astoundingly terrible. I like Shamus Young's breakdown of it.
"Bethesda's games are lovely."

"Yeah, but the writing is so good!"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Ubisoft's current Steam sale just reminded me that mandatory uPlay DRM is somehow still a thing Ubisoft is requiring for their games. I had hoped that somehow their quirky little art games would be immune but nope, Child of Light warrants just as much bullshit as a Far Cry or Assassin's Creed title.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

Ubisoft's current Steam sale just reminded me that mandatory uPlay DRM is somehow still a thing Ubisoft is requiring for their games. I had hoped that somehow their quirky little art games would be immune but nope, Child of Light warrants just as much bullshit as a Far Cry or Assassin's Creed title.

Dont worry, vivendi will get rid of uplay

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Nuebot posted:

At least in skyrim where you can do that. In fallout 3 you weren't allowed to try to unlock something unless you met the level requirement.

Yeah, a block on lockpicking if you don't have enough skill makes sense, but I definitely pretty the Skyrim model.

Dragon Age: Origins, I was recently playing. You cannot open locked chests without sacrificing getting skills on level up to spend them in Lock picking. If you don't do that, you cannot open about half of the chests in the game.

If you DO spec into that, at anything resembling a moderate-to-aggressive pace, you will still run into a lot of chests that are outside your skill level. And if you go HAM on leveling it, and can open all of them, you're almost guaranteed an inventory full of iron daggers, elfroot, and small piles of copper.

When I finally broke down and made a character solely for the purpose of being able to open chests, I realized how much the game hosed with my mind by making NONE of the chests worth the investment.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Captain Lavender posted:

Yeah, a block on lockpicking if you don't have enough skill makes sense, but I definitely pretty the Skyrim model.

Dragon Age: Origins, I was recently playing. You cannot open locked chests without sacrificing getting skills on level up to spend them in Lock picking. If you don't do that, you cannot open about half of the chests in the game.

If you DO spec into that, at anything resembling a moderate-to-aggressive pace, you will still run into a lot of chests that are outside your skill level. And if you go HAM on leveling it, and can open all of them, you're almost guaranteed an inventory full of iron daggers, elfroot, and small piles of copper.

When I finally broke down and made a character solely for the purpose of being able to open chests, I realized how much the game hosed with my mind by making NONE of the chests worth the investment.

At this point any skill that is just "more loot" is utterly valueless to me. If the game is balanced properly I'll get what I need from other sources and not waste precious levelling points on stuff that has no chance of being with me at the end of the game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is a dark confession, I know, but I kind of like the Bethesda lockpicking games.

I would like them a lot more if lockpicks were harder to come by and far more expensive (so the minigame actually had any kind of stakes), keys actually existed for locks in sensible places (so there are other ways to accomplish goals without dealing with the minigame if you don't want to), and there were more games/types of locks (are you kidding me? Every lock on this entire continent is identical? What about simple combination locks?).

Either way that's one thing that drags Bethesda games down for me - everywhere you go, you're tripping over chests that have crazy-powerful locks by in-game standards, but almost nobody has a key to their own poo poo. Slaughter a camp of bandits but can't crack their Master-level safe? Tough luck, they apparently undid the lock with freaky Stranger Things telekinesis or something because not a single one of them ever has a key.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Here's a gripe I have about Dying Light

The music that played in the school was the best thing they had on the soundtrack and there was no option to have that constantly playing indoors

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

frodnonnag posted:

the worst i do is my limited farming runs of voidwatch. Due to the way the event runs, it is insanely profitable to multibox. Worst i've done is 6 characters at once.

I'm also not the only person with my account login.

To give you guys an idea of why my playtime is so long, it'd be helpful to explain some of the older content in the game like ground kings. Ground kings were a timed spawn that would only spawn exactly 21 to 24 hours after previous death, in 30 minute increments.Then there were the HQ versions that were 3 to 7 day random spawns off that. Small spawn area, really rigid spawn conditions, piss easy to bot-claim or track.

Then there were other high end rare spawns that were 3+ day random spawns. This shitsockery culminated with ixion and sandworm who were 3-5+ day spawns across several zones. Ixion had the added bullshittery of being spookable. if a player ran into him, he would despawn and repop in15 minutes to 3 hours. Since servers were unsegregated, Players were known for insane poo poo like holding these monsters for 12+ hours to get into their 'timezone' and spooking ixion over and over until other groups quit.

Bonus content: The clickthru warning every time you log into ff11.

You have spent literally over four years logged into a single video game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

food court bailiff posted:

Either way that's one thing that drags Bethesda games down for me - everywhere you go, you're tripping over chests that have crazy-powerful locks by in-game standards, but almost nobody has a key to their own poo poo. Slaughter a camp of bandits but can't crack their Master-level safe? Tough luck, they apparently undid the lock with freaky Stranger Things telekinesis or something because not a single one of them ever has a key.

The Witcher 3 got this right since the game is less a stat-heavy RPG, more a beardy Legend of Zelda.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

spit on my clit posted:

Dont worry, vivendi will get rid of uplay

And replace it with vPlay, because what strong triple-A publisher doesn't have their own game client these days? Origin, Steam (for Activision at least), Bethesda.net, GOG Galaxy (admittedly largely DRM free). Hell, even Windows 10 has one.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jetamo posted:

And replace it with vPlay, because what strong triple-A publisher doesn't have their own game client these days? Origin, Steam (for Activision at least), Bethesda.net, GOG Galaxy (admittedly largely DRM free). Hell, even Windows 10 has one.

Well, the difference is that with the exception of Origin all of those services also sell their games on Steam and don't require you to install or run their proprietary storefront to play them through Steam.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

food court bailiff posted:

Uh maybe this is true if you only play one single genre of game or something but overall it is completely false.
Pretty much every modern game has a tutorial or at least messages that pop up to tell you how to do something the first time. Try playing any moderately complex game from the '90s without reading the manual and see how far you get.

Grandmother of Five posted:

are mmorpgs required to have some kind of way to tell how long you've spent in the game? i mean, it comes across as less of a feature that you'd actually want in your game, and more like one of those SMOKING KILLS stickers that are required to be on cigarette packs in some areas.
People like seeing numbers go up, and there's a sort of prestige associated with having the highest numbers. It feels like an accomplishment even when you know it absolutely isn't.

AlphaKretin posted:

The problem with Skyrim's lockpicking is that it's completely pointless. Except for right at the beginning, you're never going to run out of lockpicks, so there's no reason for them to exist, and since there's no penalty for failure you may as well not be able to fail. The answer to "will you be able to pick this lock?" is always "yes". That's not a challenge. And the lockpick thing isn't fun either. So what's the point?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

In Dying light I just learned what all the sweet spots were because there were only like, 5 of them at very hard.

The only lockpicking game I remember being fun was in Anachronox, because it was an actual game there, not just "do you have patience and basic motor skills?"
From the response this minigame gets from it's constant use in all kinds of game, for the most part the answer is No.
Mafia 3 has an even more watered-down version of lock'picking' but for the most part you can just choose to kick it in if it's a door so that's nice.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The only game to do lockpicking right is Path of Exile. It's an optional, rare, random quest where the challenge is "can you game the AI well enough to be able to stand on that spot over there, for three seconds, without attacking, without dying, and without killing the biggest threat on the map which just so happens to have spawned on that spot?" If you can, they die instantly and you get all their stuff as well as some shop-unlock points. Plus if you gently caress it up you can try again as long as the primary target ain't dead yet.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A number of areas in the base game of Dark Souls 2: SOFS for PC look a lot like something out of Tomb Raider, circa 1996. Just large, flatly-lit , repeating textures unbroken by any visual complexity. What other games have suffered poor or inconsistent graphics because of a lacking artistic direction?

FEAR: Perseus Mandate. The only explanation I can think of is that the texture artist quit halfway through the project and they couldn't find another one.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

You have spent literally over four years logged into a single video game.

enough already. post content or just don't post.

Gitro posted:

The dumbest thing about oblivion's skeleton key is that it doesn't auto succeed. And skyrim's, for that matter.

it's funny to me that the best upgrade to a game mechanic is the one that brute forces through it so you don't have to engage with it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

enough already. post content or just don't post.

it's funny to me that the best upgrade to a game mechanic is the one that brute forces through it so you don't have to engage with it.

You can tell the difference between an upgrade and an admission of shite design by whether or not it allows you to engage with it more, or allows you to skip it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

You can tell the difference between an upgrade and an admission of shite design by whether or not it allows you to engage with it more, or allows you to skip it.

Lockpicking should be entirely optional to begin with. Well, it is in the overall sense. But what I mean is, if say you have 100 lockpicking then you should be able to automatically unlock every poo poo chest in the game like you can if you grab the tower stone. The mini game should only be used if you don't have the stats to unlock something, if they're not going to straight up lock you out of it. As a result, in skyrim lockpicking is just a useless skill tree and the lock picking skill exists just to give you free levels to put towards anything else. But then you get the fallout 3 approach where leveling up lock picking just rewarded you with more lock picking. At least in Oblivion you could click the force lock button until it clicked because you never ran out of lockpicks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I preferred Oblivion's lockpicking to the Fallout/Skyrim lockpicking even outside of the auto attempts, just because it had something vaguely similar to skill involved. It was sort of a test of patience and observation, that admittedly wasn't hard (except when it was bullshit) but worked for me. Also because you could just auto-attempt and cop the fact it was gonna break a few of the lockpicks you amass hundreds of anyway.

Fallout's hacking minigame is fantastic, though, and I love every second of it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

It's clever, but let down by execution. There should have been a less metagamey way to get more tries.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I had two issues with it. The first one being that, IIRC, they deliberately made it so if you backed out once to retry every time after the first you couldn't skip the stupid computer start up. So it just became really aggravating waiting for computers to just start up so you could get back to hacking. This same kind of poo poo crops up in fallout 4 where inexplicably security doors just take loving forever to let you exit out of them once you click the button.

Secondly, the difficulty was backwards as hell for me. Hacking is just based on the length of the word so sometimes you're just given like GATE, MATE, RATE and FATE as your choices for an easy level hack after you're finished clicking on all the decoy elimination things. Meanwhile on the hardest difficulties you'll end up with choices that end with ING, IES or other common word endings so you just click on a choice and if you get 3 or more matches then 9/10 times it's one of those.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Best lockpicking minigame was clearly from Hillsfar:

The rest of the game was steaming hot garbage, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I preferred Oblivion's lockpicking to the Fallout/Skyrim lockpicking even outside of the auto attempts, just because it had something vaguely similar to skill involved. It was sort of a test of patience and observation, that admittedly wasn't hard (except when it was bullshit) but worked for me. Also because you could just auto-attempt and cop the fact it was gonna break a few of the lockpicks you amass hundreds of anyway.

I always thought it was boring garbage and the fastest way to do it was just spam tries, especially at the harder terminals.