Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gunnerkrigg Court, Kill Six Billion Demons, Cucumber Quest, Paranatural, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
The pacing is bad, and that's okay as long as Zack learns from it. Also this thread gets weirdly defensive about constructive criticism even though we're all coming from a place of love. :colbert:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Oh are we having pacing chat? I bet there are a lot of new ideas and opinonzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The pacing is bad, and that's okay as long as Zack learns from it. Also this thread gets weirdly defensive about constructive criticism even though we're all coming from a place of love. :colbert:

People generally are only getting defensive about it because it's been a recurrent complaint every few pages of this thread, justified or not

it's less of a "how dare you" and more of a "god can we not start talking about that AGAIN," you know?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This wouldn't even be an issue if people would just admit the pacing sucked and shrugged it off

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Serial fiction pacing rule #1: a significant plot beat needs to happen every update. There's a few webcomics that are great at that (Gunnerkrigg Court, Kill Six Billion Demons). You can take any given page and boil it down to a single sentence that advances the plot. A lot of the recent Paranatural pages haven't done this. What did the two and a half pages about the fly show us? The current page has a beat ("we used to come here, you know") but could have come three pages ago.

Sure, the fly arc was whimsical and fun, but was it necessary? What did it add to the story?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blastron posted:

Sure, the fly arc was whimsical and fun, but was it necessary? What did it add to the story?

It added fun and whimsy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Zach fairly obviously likes to make updates with funny character moments or neat art/setpieces even if it doesn't advance much! I think that's a pretty okay thing to do!

blastron posted:

It added the question of what's up with the fly, which is intentionally supposed to be a weird/mysterious thing as mentioned by Zach on twitter when poked about it. It's currently unresolved, but is a setup for something in the far future. Compare with the really odd dog at the start of the chapter which on first blush just seemed to be some silly/dumb thing but turned out to be the first sign of the antagonist of the chapter so far.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

SHE CAN'T BE TRUSTED! *she giggles at me once* My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I-
Who is this mythical Pippip?

Is it Doctor Zarei?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

blastron posted:

Serial fiction pacing rule #1: a significant plot beat needs to happen every update. There's a few webcomics that are great at that (Gunnerkrigg Court, Kill Six Billion Demons). You can take any given page and boil it down to a single sentence that advances the plot. A lot of the recent Paranatural pages haven't done this. What did the two and a half pages about the fly show us? The current page has a beat ("we used to come here, you know") but could have come three pages ago.

I agree with you, but to be fair, I suspect the fly interaction will be more meaningful in hindsight and was probably a secret plot beat.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lol

just lol

"flies are cool" - Zack

keep on keepin on brotha

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

Who is this mythical Pippip?

Is it Doctor Zarei?

Yeah, it's Zarei who starts telling her life's story (represented in the hovertext by the incipit of Great Expectations) to someone who she thought she couldn't trust with anything.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update. Zarei, that's gross, don't do that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Zarei mysteries continue.

Patchworm is the friendliest spirit that isn't encased in rock underground.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Have we seen the people in the foreground of panel one before?
They seem remarkably detailed for throwaway characters if not.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

smug n stuff posted:

Cameos, according to the post text.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

In his post Zack says they are a cameo from his friend's comic.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

smug n stuff posted:

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/789571380006293504

Fake edit: drat, if only twitter things worked properly in the post preview.

Real edit: Odd that the thing also brings along the tweet the linked tweet is replying to.

Akett fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 22, 2016

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I really feel as though I'm missing some subtext to this conversation, and what neither of them are doing is making all that much sense to me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I feel like we're supposed to care about these two characters but there is no reason to care for them at all. Blind girl was fawning all over formerly snake-like lady who had a personality that was a foil to most of the cast but is now basically Spender x1000 and just keeps losing her poo poo over anything blind girl does while her ghost friend keeps telling and repeating to us that awww shucks she's just such a softy inside and it's just bad and should probably move on to Isaac following that one teacher or Max and Isabella looking for Hijack or Ed being an annoying prick or the hints that PJ and Lefty are hanging out at school or Hijack controlling one of the teachers or the principal and the vice-principal being easily manipulated and conniving or journalist girl doing her journalism or whatever Johnny and his gang are up to or basically anything else that is more interesting than this poo poo

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Axiem posted:

I really feel as though I'm missing some subtext to this conversation, and what neither of them are doing is making all that much sense to me.

Dr. Zarei is trying to reveal things about herself that aren't damaging to the secrets she's keeping with Richard DarkLightSephiroth. By revealing intimate moments from her past, she hopes to demonstrate that she's being open and trustworthy. It won't work because she got overheard when she tried to have a secret conversation under the table, but that's why she's talking about what she's talking about. She's turning funny colors and spitting water everywhere because she's in lurrrrrve but that's not subtext, that's just text.

Meanwhile Lovespy Iforgothername is doing her inquisitive spy routine. By asking lots of friendly, innocent questions, with the occasional pointed barb, she's hiding the fact that she's heard enough to probably lock Dr. Zarei in jail forever.

....do the ghost cops have a jail? Or a justice system? Or any form of authority besides a mummy who visits them in their dreams?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

I feel like we're supposed to care about these two characters but there is no reason to care for them at all. Blind girl was fawning all over formerly snake-like lady who had a personality that was a foil to most of the cast but is now basically Spender x1000 and just keeps losing her poo poo over anything blind girl does while her ghost friend keeps telling and repeating to us that awww shucks she's just such a softy inside and it's just bad and should probably move on to Isaac following that one teacher or Max and Isabella looking for Hijack or Ed being an annoying prick or the hints that PJ and Lefty are hanging out at school or Hijack controlling one of the teachers or the principal and the vice-principal being easily manipulated and conniving or journalist girl doing her journalism or whatever Johnny and his gang are up to or basically anything else that is more interesting than this poo poo

I mean, liking the characters or this scene is your prerrogative but I think you misunderstood almost everything that happened in this interlude. Zarei was never the foil, she IS female Spender - plays it cool but is actually a fuckin' dork. Meanwhile Day is being flirtatious because :siren: THAT'S LITERALLY HER THING HER INTRODUCTION WAS A FUCKIN CUPID ARROW ATTACK FFS :siren: and it's actually working against socially inept awkward nerd Zarei.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah zarei wasn't a foil, her introduction was just framed to not make her look like a dork immediately. i'm sure that given the right circumstances spender could just as easily seem powerful, mysterious, and interesting

and then you realize he literally never takes off his sunglasses when you meet him at night

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
"I uh, have light sensitivity. Just like Kazuhira-senpai!"

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Part of the problem, I think, is that everyone keeps using the word "dork", and I have no idea what that word means.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Axiem posted:

Part of the problem, I think, is that everyone keeps using the word "dork", and I have no idea what that word means.

Imagine what every goon was like aged 13. That's a dork.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Axiem posted:

A dork is a dweeb.

Zarei and Spender insta-lock Reaper on OW. This is why they have an uneasy relationship.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you want to get specific, it's extremely soft/old slang for "penis". Now it just means someone who's goofy/corny/socially awkward or embarrassing, particularly if they themselves don't seem to notice or care.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zarei plays witch mercy and spender plays s76

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Axiem posted:

Here's a detailed explanation coming straight from 2002:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tollymain posted:

zarei plays witch mercy and spender plays s76

Spender doesn't play S76, if he's not Reaper he's McCree. :colbert: I'll give you grimdark support Zarei tho.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hear me out, spender is all about his mission that he refuses to actually tell anybody else the details of even when it's very clearly sort of impacting everybody else because it's "his responsibility" or some such bullshit

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Come on people, a light theme? He's clearly a Symmetra slampicker who switches out to Reaper when the monster inside him tries to break out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whenever i take joy in paranatural i can always rely on this thread to suck it right back out again

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

whenever i take joy in paranatural i can always rely on this thread to suck it right back out again

maybe you shouldn't come to this thread then

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hell, same when you're here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

whenever i take joy

STOP

oh nvm, you good

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paradoxGentleman posted:

maybe you shouldn't come to this thread then