Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stop filming me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

jonathan posted:

So I've always inhaled enough that it felt right for posture and then began exhaling slowly as I was 75% through the lift, then with about half my air capacity I'd let the bar down. I've never felt light headed. Are you saying that people hold until the top of the lift then exhale strongly and that is causing the drop in BP ? I'm just trying to make sense as to if I am at risk with my breathing.

It's not necessarily the breathing, but the straaaaaaaaaaaining and sudden release of pressure. Basically you're pushing all the blood toward your head, and when you suddenly release the pressure, your body as to adjust by making your blood vessels contract a bit to keep your BP normal. Sometimes it just can't adjust quick enough, your BP drops, and then you faint.

Example:ever sit up in bed really fast and get super dizzy? Same kind of thing, except that's related to your posture instead of hard muscle contractions.

Breathing will help. It's those longer, more strenuous lifts that'll make you dizzy.

Make sense?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 20, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Which is why rippetoe promotes holding your breath until the lift is completed, so you don't breathe out and lose compression in your core before you're done with the weight. Just take a few breaths in between each rep for high weight.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Who give a poo poo about what Markus Rippleto thinks. Judging by the sperglords who worship him I can only conclude he's king homo.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

idk why but this reminds me of the time I was doing a little btn press with just the empty bar then a bee flew right at me

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

FedEx Mercury posted:

Who give a poo poo about what Markus Rippleto thinks. Judging by the sperglords who worship him I can only conclude he's king homo.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Stan Efferding breathes while he squats and broke a bunch of powerlifting records while being an IFBB pro. I don't remember that fat texan idiot ever breaking or coaching anyone who broke a record.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
been lifting for ~3 years now and never done a pre-workout (other than coffee because lol pre-workouts)

jp8x hardcore just came in. going to try it tomorrow before squat day.

it better be like cocaine or I want my money back.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ive been tempted to order a thing of gnar pump but i work out mostly in the evenings

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you are a regular coffee/soda(with caffeine) drinker then preworkout stuff will only have so much effect

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Green Crayons posted:

been lifting for ~3 years now and never done a pre-workout (other than coffee because lol pre-workouts)

jp8x hardcore just came in. going to try it tomorrow before squat day.

it better be like cocaine or I want my money back.

It will be an amazing experience. I remember the first time a friend hooked up with some N.O. xplode a long time ago. It was a lifting day before practice and I demolished my numbers thoroughly. Now it doesn't do anything that extreme for me anymore, but it helps with stamina and you can really push it everyday.

gently caress I'm going to sleep now, I want it to be morning so I'm at the gym

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Zzulu posted:

If you are a regular coffee/soda(with caffeine) drinker then preworkout stuff will only have so much effect

Yeah man thats why you get the poo poo loaded with brain chemicals so you still feel insane as gently caress in the gym

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Lifting is healthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTAxJfVkPc

No, im serious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWSxP2GHLMs

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The best "pre-workout" I ever took for feeling weird at the gym was beta-alanine.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What the gently caress in the first one they lay down some towels for him to be sick on then the guys filming the video are talking about him throwing up before it happens

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

buddhanc posted:

It will be an amazing experience. I remember the first time a friend hooked up with some N.O. xplode a long time ago. It was a lifting day before practice and I demolished my numbers thoroughly. Now it doesn't do anything that extreme for me anymore, but it helps with stamina and you can really push it everyday.

gently caress I'm going to sleep now, I want it to be morning so I'm at the gym

Gotta cycle it bro, plus it's good discipline and practice for future juicing.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

What the gently caress in the first one they lay down some towels for him to be sick on then the guys filming the video are talking about him throwing up before it happens

To this day my theory remains that this competition is not actually about the lifting...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

The best "pre-workout" I ever took for feeling weird at the gym was beta-alanine.

gently caress that, I want some alpha-alanine.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I gotta recommend Phencyclidine. Nothing has made me more amped up in the gym

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
trip report.

will do again.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I like mixing various pre-workouts and creating my own supersaiyan gnar potion

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I gotta recommend Phencyclidine. Nothing has made me more amped up in the gym

you wouldnt believe how many pushups you can bust out when youre dissociated out of your mind

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Just hold your breath till your body explodes the rainbow that's when you know the blood is pumping around

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I saw a movie once where a guy had to do a lot of Crank to keep his heart racing or he'd die. I forget the name of it.

So that may be good for lifting.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

i ate pepperoni and not salami tonight how hosed are my gains

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bone app the teeth posted:

I was trying to figure out what food was high in carbs+fat and not protein earlier.

The answer was so simple.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

GORDON posted:

I saw a movie once where a guy had to do a lot of Crank to keep his heart racing or he'd die. I forget the name of it.

So that may be good for lifting.

hey guys i saw a movie where a guy got really sick of all these Star Wars , gently caress can't remember the name of it

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
i figured out that instead of loading pullups using a belt or dumbell you can just get really fat by eating cured meats

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bone app the teeth posted:

Hah, don't sweat it. "Pepperoni" is just the Italian word for salami.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
http://theydiffer.com/difference-between-salami-and-pepperoni/

quote:

Salami, pictured above, is a type of cured sausage that originated in Italy, but is now popular across the entire world. Salami can be made from a variety of meats, such as beef or pork, and is often made with a variety of ingredients including garlic, salt, fat, and different herbs and spices. Salami is made by mixing ground meat with all of the other ingredients, stuffing the meat into edible casings, and then hanging up the uncured salami to cure.

Pepperoni, pictured above, is a type of salami. Pepperoni is usually made from both pork and beef that is mashed together, and is popular in the United States. It is known as an American salami, though it has its origins in different kinds of spicy salami that are made in southern Italy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I had the flu for a week solid which has made me as weak as a babby. Lost about 10lbs in that week. The worst. Got back in the gym last night and holy gently caress it was pathetic.

:'(

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thee was a larger than usual group of lifters in the gym this morning, I mean "larger" in both their numbers and stomach girth. It looked like 2 experienced guys were training 4 new guys.

Anyway, is there a name yet for a group of lifters? I'd like to submit "grunt." There was a grunt of lifters taking up space in the gym this morning, putting their water bottles on equipment they weren't using, getting in everyone elses way.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
fukbois

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Parents gave me a hex bar for my birthday. Deadlifts are different but good and it rules for farmers walk.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i wish my parents were still alive

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

Thee was a larger than usual group of lifters in the gym this morning, I mean "larger" in both their numbers and stomach girth. It looked like 2 experienced guys were training 4 new guys.

Anyway, is there a name yet for a group of lifters? I'd like to submit "grunt." There was a grunt of lifters taking up space in the gym this morning, putting their water bottles on equipment they weren't using, getting in everyone elses way.

Its called a "fag" as in "there was a fag of lifter in my gym this morning"

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

It's called a stable and the members are called studs.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Its called a "fag" as in "there was a fag of lifter in my gym this morning"

I think I like that one better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If they're peacocking you can call it an ostentation of lifters.