Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Per Amanda Peacher it looks like we have this attorney's closing arguments, then another one's, then the government's rebuttal. Then the jury deliberations begin :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I thought government already did rebuttal? Before defense?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bobulus posted:

I thought government already did rebuttal? Before defense?

quote:

Three other defense lawyers are expected to present closing arguments in the afternoon, followed by an estimated 45-minute government rebuttal before the case goes to the jury for deliberations before day's end.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/conspiracy_charge_stretches_re.html#incart_river_home

I guess the government gets to rebut the closing arguments?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nocturtle posted:

From here:

It seems like Fry's defender is trying to argue he didn't intend to be involved in a conspiracy and the charges are inappropriate. I'm guessing they're trying to generate sympathy instead of appealing to potential nullifiers.
This is basically the same thing. If you believe the elements have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt and don't convict, it is nullifcation regardless of whether the reason is because gold fringes or you like the dude

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That reminds me: has a gold fringe come up in the proceedings at all?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rebuttal close is different than the rebuttal case. The government gets the last word. Government's first close is Spock "here's all the reasons the this guy is technically guilty." Rebuttal close is Kirk "what the defense attorney just told you is a bunch of bullshit. Here is why."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

"Yes, I understand that I broke into your house. But you were on a long trip to Europe, so it doesn't count!"
They should have worn fezs and said they were Moorish Science guys.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
https://twitter.com/amandapeacher/status/788883324412370944

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Please please please tonight.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Casimir Radon posted:

Please please please tonight.

I'm sure there will be an epic multiday deliberation session as the jurors struggle with their consciences.

It will be 30 minutes tops

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm sure there will be an epic multiday deliberation session as the jurors struggle with their consciences.

It will be 30 minutes tops
"Let's pretend we're doing 12 Angry Men in here so they have to get us a pizza!"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

We can't close the thread tonight Cliven Bundy doesn't even have a court date, possibly. I googled this info half-assedly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Mods please change my name to Favio Minooggio or John Kilman.

https://twitter.com/EileenParkTV/status/788904481979195392

I would blow Dane Cook has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Oct 20, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > C-SPAM > A jury is judging those Bundy hicks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Who here has been following this since Bunkerville?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I tried to ignore that one for the most part, but I've been keyed up on Oregon since January. Militiatards are one of the things I hate the most in the entire world.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I started following before we even got sumo guy and I was there for just about all the infamous moments, like when Agent Marc tried to lure them out of the tents with promises of warm armored cars and the first reports of a militant being shot filtered out from Twitter. Unfortunately the closure of the thread I was following kept me from catching up until a few weeks ago.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Capntastic posted:

Can't wait to see the thread title change

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > C-SPAM > A jury is judging those Bundy hicks

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I've been around since the beginning-ish. This thread made me come out of lurking.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > C-SPAM > Obama just pardoned 3/5th of those Bundy hicks
Fixed/embellished to improve Lowtax click-thru revenue

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lmao holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/788953506732355584

The judge will just reject this, right? Or is she obligated to go through the motions?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao holy poo poo.

The judge will just reject this, right? Or is she obligated to go through the motions?

Its garbage sovcit nonsense. This will elicit a one line "motion denied" response because there is nothing of merit.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao holy poo poo.

This is a pro-click. She quotes loving Cicero as proof the judge is corrupt and should be dismissed, and since 99% of prosecution objections were sustained.

They know this is the end. I hope Cox gets loving destroyed.

I have been loosely following since Bunkerville, I.E. using women and children as human shields because they don't want to pay their fair share of grazing fees.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've just been really following since they took over the Malheur refuge. I was mildly aware of Bunkerville, and read some articles about their dumbassery and villainy there, but once they came to my state and started acting up then I really started paying attention.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao holy poo poo.

It probably isn't timely even if it were meritorious, unless there is some claim that these facts shouldn't have been known to the defense earlier.

She will probably go through some motions to protect the record. That doesn't mean there is any merit at all, but no one wants to retry this bullshit again.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao holy poo poo.

Motion filed: The judge is a big ugly doody head

Judge files ruling on motion: am not

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

My favorite thing to do with sovcit filings is to file a motion that basically says "Judge, please line out all of this bullshit except for the three paragraphs where he admits to everything."

I've never had it granted, because the system overcorrects to protect idiots from themselves, but it's always fun to have them freak out about a proposed redacted filing that basically says "I did it. - signed Defendant"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dr. Killjoy posted:

David Fry is a Messianic Jew, which is a fancy term for Christian Evangelicals who engage in Hebrew cosplay
:rock:
I'm gonna steal this and pretend I said it first so many loving times.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/789132454011416576

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Let's go around the table in the jury room after that defense, ready for deliberation, in the endless moment after getting seated and before anyone has broken the sacred silence hanging in the perfectly still air like crystal windchimes on a cold morning:

Juror 1: :staredog:

Juror 2: :aaaaa:

Juror 3: :captainpop:

Juror 4: :chanpop:

Juror 5: :confused:

Juror 6: :doh:

Juror 7: :dogbutton:

Juror 8: :eek:

Juror 9 is a constitutional law buff: :dukedoge::fh:

Juror 10: :geno:

Juror 11: :haw:

Juror 12: :holy:

Alternate 1: :shepicide:

Alternate 2: :quagmire:

Alternate 3: :frogdowns:

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Oct 20, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I am somehow fond of Juror 9.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

God drat it, I am seriously concerned about a jury nullification. Bury these fuckers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TotalLossBrain posted:

I am somehow fond of Juror 9.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

red19fire posted:

God drat it, I am seriously concerned about a jury nullification. Bury these fuckers.

I wouldn't be. We'll have a guilty verdict today most likely.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I live in the (relatively) sane part of Nevada, but I have tons of friends/family in or around Vegas, so I was following it very closely from the start, mostly before it even broke nationally. It was pretty great to watch all faux rancher idiots I work with who live in half million dollar homes and drive around in spotless Rancher King Ford 450's talk about how this was going to be Obama's Waterloo and the start of the next great Revolution. Oddly enough they all stopped talking about it after Cliven's " here's the thing about them lazy negros" bon mot. After those two yahoos shot up a Walmart dressed in Gadsen Flags even the most ardent supporters didn't want anything to do with them.

Opinions about Malheur were almost universally negative, everyone just thought they were idiots. There is a guy I see every now and then with a blue tarp flag but that's about it. When the dude in HR with a "BENGHAZI" bumper sticker thinks your occupation is pointless then you've got a problem.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

red19fire posted:

It's strange that such a fundamental element of the justice system can be compromised if even a small minority of the population comes to accept jury nullification as legitimate. It would be difficult to prosecute even marginally popular defendants in that scenario. Fortunately the Bundys will never be popular.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sold.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Pre-emptive mod request to retitle as "The Feds are currently housing and feeding those Bundy hicks" when the convictions start coming in.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Is there a quick summary of how the defense went? I paid attention during the prosecution, but got distracted from following the trial due to the circus that is the Trump campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nocturtle posted:

It's strange that such a fundamental element of the justice system can be compromised if even a small minority of the population comes to accept jury nullification as legitimate. It would be difficult to prosecute even marginally popular defendants in that scenario. Fortunately the Bundys will never be popular.

Yes. Jury nullification sucks; there just isn't a good way to prevent it.