Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lizabeth gonna Liz

https://twitter.com/ElizabethMay/status/788838041024602112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
She should resign in protest solidarity with Israel.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Is it my imagination or do Canadians really just want an electoral system that produces minority governments?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

P.d0t posted:

Is it my imagination or do Canadians really just want an electoral system that produces minority governments?

Minority parliaments are better than majority ones.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

P.d0t posted:

Not counting 84 (50.03%), it's been 48 years since the popular vote was over 50%. We just want a government comprised of who we voted for.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

P.d0t posted:

I imagine most people don't know enough to have much of an opinion. Alternate voting systems have been getting some good press and attention but I don't think it's anywhere near enough for the average person to consider getting rid of the system we have. And it's not like democracy isn't working in the sense that nothing will happen until we choose a system to fix the problem. We have governments, they pass bills, etc. A new electoral system will (hopefully) optimize things but that's not what gets people's juices flowing. Plus the average person might be overly worried about Fringe Groups Having All The Power.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/TrudeauGoogles/status/788774070032666628

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mik posted:

I often think the thread's 20/20 "Told you so!" attitude towards the Libs is misguided, but holy lol that's terrible.

Just wait until they campaign on marijuana law reform again in 3 years.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

At what point to we begin to blame ourselves

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Duggler posted:

gently caress you I voted NDP. I blame all of you.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

Finance Minister Bill Morneau held a private Liberal Party fundraiser attended by business executives at the waterfront mansion of a mining tycoon turned land developer in Halifax last week in what appears to be a direct violation of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s rules against preferential access for financial donors.

Mr. Morneau, who is designing the 2017 budget, controls the purse strings for billions of dollars of infrastructure cash and other major funding initiatives, including a possible new container terminal and redevelopment of federal port lands in Halifax.

Sources say about 15 people attended the $1,500 a person Liberal Laurier Club event at the home of Fred George, a former gold and silver mining magnate who has branched out into land development. Other donors were prominent Nova Scotia property developers Danny Chedrawe, president of Westwood Developments, Jim Spatz, chairman and chief executive of SouthWest Properties, and Philip Jenkins, vice-president of RBC Securities.

Mr. George is a business partner in a hotel complex with Mr. Spatz, who was recently appointed to the board of directors of the Halifax Port Authority on the advice of federal Treasury Board President Scott Brison, the Liberals’ political power broker for Nova Scotia.

lmaooooo

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Furnaceface posted:

Do you think Mulcair and the platform he presented would have been better?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The NDP platform was better so even if they did an equal amount of Libbing as the Liberals we would still be coming out ahead of this garbage

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brannock posted:

Yes? It was a hell of a lot better than what the Liberals were proposing and by no means intended to pick up where Harper left off which is exactly what we are seeing happen now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brannock posted:

Yes, although probably not that much.

Still, I mostly voted for my local NDP mp who was good and against Melanie Joly who is terrible.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

THC posted:

lmaooooo

Morneau is married to a McCain. His ties to the east coast super rich run deep.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Furnaceface posted:

Same, I blame all these naive sunny ways suckers.

What did we get? Long form census. Anything else yet? (Semi trying to give the benefit of doubt, but I cannot recall anything else that was followed through on.)

Bet he is juuusssttt about to repeal C-51.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The Duggler posted:

well I dunno buds, did you end up voting for your local Lib candidate because weed like you said you would?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They doubled First Nations health funding! While creating dozens of separate, redundant new FN health programs ensuring each one will be underfunded and ineffective :smith:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 20, 2016

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
It would be amazing how much better if we went on an infrastructure spending spree in native reserves such as building paved roads to them and providing decades of promised funding to maintain them and also making it so none of them have third worldly water and sewage systems. The amount of money needed to spend on other programs could possibly be reduced if we took the time to build stuff for them.

But nope.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

They kept their promise to let in a bunch of refugees (mostly sponsored because they knew it would trigger ikantski) but failed to actually have a plan to deal with them once they were here and it ended up costing more because of the hotels/motels/fast food they had to budget for.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

:same:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

OSI bean dip posted:

Minority parliaments are better than majority ones.

Harper had a minority government and just kept proroguing parliament until the next election

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Harper had a minority government and just kept proroguing parliament until the next election

The hilarious thing is he got away with it time and time again. Know why?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Scorchy posted:

And eventually people would get tired of that poo poo. Minority parliaments do a better job ensuring that poo poo legislation (like C-51) do not get passed.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

OSI bean dip posted:

And eventually people would get tired of that poo poo. Minority parliaments do a better job ensuring that poo poo legislation (like C-51) do not get passed.

People were so tired of it he was rewarded with a majority government.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

Same, I blame all these naive sunny ways suckers.

What did we get? Long form census. Anything else yet?

They re-opened the coast guard station in Kits.
Then promptly forgot to pay the employees.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Scorchy posted:

People were so tired of it he was rewarded with a majority government.

He convinced enough people that nothing was getting done because his minority wasnt given enough power.

Also voter burnout. Wasnt it like 3 elections in 5 years?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD50CatjpmQ

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 20, 2016

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the only person more unlikeable than harper

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Furnaceface posted:

He convinced enough people that nothing was getting done because his minority wasnt given enough power.

Also voter burnout. Wasnt it like 3 elections in 5 years?

To be honest if I had to go and cast a vote against Harper every day for a decade I'd do it with a spring in my step.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's not like Stephen Harper was available to run for the liberals, so who else could they ever think of running.

Also didn't ostensibly liberal papers just say to vote Harper out of fear that the NDP might win when polls started showing them in the lead

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

B33rChiller posted:

They re-opened the coast guard station in Kits.
Then promptly forgot to pay the employees.

It really has been pretty thin gruel.

I guess it's for the best marijuana isn't legalized yet.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The fact that Canadians got tired of doing something once every 500 days is more indictment than excuse.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
In the 2011 election Harper increased his overall vote count by 1.97 percentage points, to a whopping 39.62%. His majority in parliament had less to do with voter fatigue at minority governments or with "rewarding" Harper and a lot more to do with the Conservatives effectively microtargetting voters in key ridings.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Just wait until they campaign on marijuana law reform again in 3 years.

Not to worry. Our world now includes a Nobel Laureate whose body of work includes this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Zxd5jp-lI

Sunny Justin and Boot-Stomping Blair will get 'er done!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

jacks ghost is more electable than mulcair and he wouldn't have stumbled with the wind in his sails.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This thread needs to be put in segregation.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I was wondering when currently straight white males were going to start being bi to harvest LGBT status. Didn't think it'd be NDP.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/ndp-candidate-reveals-bisexuality-after-questions-over-party-s-equity-rule-1.3811299

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cool biphobia. Got any other rad opinions to contribute?