Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you get underneath the bedrock, don't you just fall forever?

Perhaps, who actually surmises what is beyond the normally impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A dirtomancer that punches through bedrock could probably construct skymines. Perhaps out if said bedrock.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you get underneath the bedrock, don't you just fall forever?

You're very clever, young man, but it's bedrock all the way down.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Every time I underestimate Don's intelligence, he swings back. He's a far better negotiator than given credit for because his one negotiation before now was against a man who he didn't have all the information on.

It's interesting to watch him bait Charlie into giving him information for free, even if it's false information.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It's kind of interesting realizing how out of place Sizemore is among your average dirtamancers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Benagain posted:

It's kind of interesting realizing how out of place Sizemore is among your average dirtamancers.

Design wise? Yeah, it is a bit strange, he did mention being very popular until Parson's gambits, but he does not look like what one would now think of the typical Dirtamancer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Link to the new page

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This still seems like a really bad idea from Don, given that "turned units have notoriously low loyalty".

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

This still seems like a really bad idea from Don, given that "turned units have notoriously low loyalty".

Is she turning though? Is she a barbarian caster employed by Faq as a mercenary, a Faq unit, or a Charliescomm unit?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
She mentioned to be a free caster, so barbarian.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, maybe it's possible that the first caveat is that she must use her Turnamancy powers on herself to ensure her loyalty. Is that doable?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also, maybe it's possible that the first caveat is that she must use her Turnamancy powers on herself to ensure her loyalty. Is that doable?

Thinkamancers can improve a units loyalty to a side. Transylvito is currently in possession of two Thinkamancers, one of whom is master class.

In short, if she turns, then Bunny can turn the screws and make her loyal to Transylvito, and Don gains another unit. If she refuses, he knows she's full of poo poo.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 20, 2016

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It's a somewhat contextual thing. That's generally in the context of "kidnapped an enemy warlord, stuck them in the dungeon until they turned." Very different from "barbarian caster formerly of a very closely allied side."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don is stubborn and old-fashioned, but he's definitely not stupid. I'm actually kind of hoping that this whole ordeal changes his signamancy, because 'mafia don in a Hawaiian shirt' does not speak well for his long-term survival, especially not if he's going up against Charlie.

I could see a tilt towards a Tony Soprano sort of deal either coming from him directly, or after a timeskip for whoever might end up on the throne after he's croaked (if he is).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

It's a somewhat contextual thing. That's generally in the context of "kidnapped an enemy warlord, stuck them in the dungeon until they turned." Very different from "barbarian caster formerly of a very closely allied side."

Well at least Caesar agrees with me. :colbert:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The pace of progress is going from "glacial" to "interminable." By my count we have:
1) At least two plot threads in Transylvito, which admittedly seem to be converging
2) Stanley, Ace and co in Spacerock
3) Ivan and Claud on the run (and the reaction to that)
4) Wanda's trial
5) Charlie plotting
6) The Thinkamancers and their spell
7) Sizemore and Janis
8) Turmoil at home in FAQ
9) Jillian's attack

Am I missing any? That's a lot of balls in the air and they seem to be getting short shrift. Who can forget the comic page that was just Stanley sitting bored in his office?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I get the same feeling from the story I got from Game of Thrones. The writer doesn't know when to stop writing new stuff and start finishing plotlines, but is now so overwhelmed he needs much more time to make it all fit, so buys time with filler.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is all building up to the punchline n'erf.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still love that, as unquestionably OP as they are, the Great Minds are still so caught up in bureaucracy and so stuck up their own asses that they're fumbling to keep up with an Erf that's changing dramatically every tenturn.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm. So, to what degree are Roger's agenda and the Great Minds' agenda the same and different?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm. So, to what degree are Roger's agenda and the Great Minds' agenda the same and different?

My guess:
Great Minds want Charlie out of the picture cause he challenges their (secret) dominance of the magic kingdom. They'll go to great lengths to do this, working with Stanley and Parson.

Roger wants back to the status quo before things got complicated by Arkentools. He wants to get rid of the troublemakers, manipulating his peers to make a return to his simpler life possible.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

That gun fired faster than I thought it would.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm sure I'm gonna get tired of Charlie's plans unraveling someday.

But not yet. That's what happens when you don't do a Spy Check!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Odds of decryption?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cat Mattress posted:

Odds of decryption?

Almost none, given that they're at the bottom of an undiggable hole with the wrench that let them dig it down at the bottom with them, the Arkenpliers are in Spacerock, and Wanda is a prisoner, and they'll both evaporate next turn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I feel like I missed something here.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
btw there was another chapter that I didn't see posted, so some may've missed it.

Seems this will be the kind of chapter that will only make complete sense in hindsight.

Also leaks. Leaks everywhere.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, uh, did a unit somehow follow them in (a stealth doll?) or did the Thinkamancers decide to remotely cut their strings? I'm not clear on if that 'wide-eyed' spy in the last image there is supposed to be Charlie or the killer.?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 9, 2016

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Bobulus posted:

So, uh, did a unit somehow follow them in (a stealth doll?) or did the Thinkamancers decide to remotely cut their strings? I'm not clear on if that 'wide-eyed' spy in the last image there is supposed to be Charlie or the killer.?

The little spy is Claud's action figure, which turned blue when Claud did.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rand Brittain posted:

Almost none, given that they're at the bottom of an undiggable hole with the wrench that let them dig it down at the bottom with them, the Arkenpliers are in Spacerock, and Wanda is a prisoner, and they'll both evaporate next turn.

Unless the action figure does whatever it is you do to keep the bodies from decaying, perhaps.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

We did literally just read about how Thinkamancers can remotely cut strings, and when you consider their situation, there are no real drawbacks to them doing so in this case and a lot of potential downsides if they did happen to get back to Charlie. It's not likely anyone will ever know what they did, either, though judging by Charlie's reaction he probably has some idea.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I do wonder why they waited until Charlie turned them to cut the strings. To send a message? To send a team to retrieve the bodies in Charlie's livery?

Maybe it somehow gave them plausible deniability with the scrying Charlie thought about earlier.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's probably exactly as Charlie feared. As free casters under contract they had plausible deniability. Once turned, I guess the Minds thought "welp that seals the deal" and nipped it in the bud.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Masterstroke for the Minds, then, if they can get to the bodies or decide to reveal that they can Look beneath bedrock to show those casters in Charlescomm livery.

That should pretty much do for Charlie if that happens.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, right, string-cutting. :downs:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

nimby posted:

I do wonder why they waited until Charlie turned them to cut the strings. To send a message? To send a team to retrieve the bodies in Charlie's livery?
Plausible deniability. Revealing that they could see through the bedrock that everyone else thought was impenetrable would show their hand too strongly. Partway through page 208 they say the Dirtamancers believed the bedrock wasn't able to be seen through. If the Minds cut the strings, it'd reveal the truth. By waiting until Claud & Ivan turned to CharlesComm, it fed into the belief Charles had, thinking that they were easier to hide as free casters.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 9, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Most importantly, those two corpses represent incontrovertible evidence that Charlescomm is actively plotting against the magic kingdom, which is what the Minds lacked until now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Most importantly, those two corpses represent incontrovertible evidence that Charlescomm is actively plotting against the magic kingdom, which is what the Minds lacked until now.

Which, hilariously, is Charlie fulfilling his own prophecy by mistake. He prophecised that they would die. In turn he turned them to Charlescomm to protect them, which lead to the Minds likely killing them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

Only if they can be exhibited as evidence. This will require either moving them out (which would preserve them) or otherwise allowing other casters to see them where they are.

In the first case they need to replicate the ability to dig through bedrock to get at the bodies. Either they somehow take control of the action figure, and get it to use the wonky wrench; or they convince a dirtamancer and a carnimancer to link up with them to create a new wonky wrench. Alternatively some summoning spell (from a link with findamancers?) to teleport the bodies. Regardless of which unlikely scenario is used, the result is that the bodies are moved and therefore preserved, allowing them to be later decrypted.

The second case is simpler but requires the Great Mind to reveal one of their closely guarded secrets. They might think that the outcome (allowing them to censure Charlie) will be worth it. In that situation the bodies will just disappear.

Finally there is the "none of the above" scenario. The Great Mind don't have any evidence to show to the other independent casters, and the bodies disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Finally there is the "none of the above" scenario. The Great Mind don't have any evidence to show to the other independent casters, and the bodies disappear.

None of the above: The Great Minds didn't kill them. Something lurks beneath the bedrock that only tolerates free casters did.