Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I thought the new DCU stadium was all set to start construction, but it turns out there are people still trying to derail it and/or hold it hostage until their demands are met. Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rip in piss crew playoffs :sigh:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Gerrard injured and apparently in Liverpool.

RIP Stevie G

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

threeagainstfour posted:

Gerrard injured and apparently in Liverpool.

RIP Stevie G

It's actually a good thing. It lets Lleget play an attacking role and we can still have Boateng on the field.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It's actually a good thing. It lets Lleget play an attacking role and we can still have Boateng on the field.

Oh yeah, Stevie G is past it and I'm glad he's gone finally

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

camoseven posted:

You'd probably be better off driving to and parking at Tyson's Corner or McLean on the Silver Line cause that'll take you straight to RFK. You'd have to transfer from the red line if you went to Bethesda, which can be kind of a pain on weekends.

Just saw this. This is the general right call, but make sure Metro construction isn't causing the Silver to stop at Ballston, could take forever to get in. It may be safer to drive to Arlington and park near East Falls Church. That way you'll be able to use either Orange or Silver trains.

Anyway, scoreless draw against Houston isn't awful, but Ozzie managed to make it an annoying result regardless. Could our players please stop getting suspended for critical games like dumbasses tia

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I thought Giovinco was supposed to be back by now..

Edit: Nevermind he's there. Wasn't shown on the starting lineup on twitter.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 16, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol loving awful officiating in NY/CLB today, he let so much poo poo slide from both

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

lol loving awful officiating in NY/CLB today, he let so much poo poo slide from both

MLS refereeing has always been bad but I feel like they've actively regressed this season.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

It's because they're being told what to call. Remember at the beginning of the year when all those reds were being issued and the media and players bitched so hard they stopped? Yeah the refs then had to be told what to call and what not to. The wild inconsistencies are because they aren't entirely sure what to give anymore.

Add in the asinine and loving stupid new way to call offside and everything turned to poo poo.

I could probably do a whole hour on the state of officiating at the higher levels and how hosed it is, but I'm phone posting.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I liked all the red cards.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I want to get off Robert Kraft's Wild Ride.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It is the duty of the Los Angeles Galaxy to dismember FC Dallas. And Houston, if you could do the Rapids a favor and let them run all over you, that would be swell too.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Draft Draft was today. Atlanta gets first Expansion Draft pick, first rank in Allocation, and 21st in Waiver/Reentry. Minnesota gets first SuperDraft pick, first rank in USL/NASL priority, and 21st Discovery.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I was about to ask about LAFC, but I guess they don't start until 2018. I guess they'll put Minnesota in the Western like SKC unless it's time for the return of the Central Conference.

e: And maybe they'll move to home and away in conference, one game cross conference, figuring Beckham will get his poo poo together for Miami in 2018. 34 games, the way Garber likes it.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 17, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Welp, FC Dallas has a good chance to take the Shield, but Mauro Diaz is out for the rest of the season with a bum Achilles.

Roll the dice, the postseason will be a goddamn mystery.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I know Alexi Lalas isn't the most beloved figure in American soccer, but he has a pretty good and long interview with Sigi Schmid on the latest episode of his podcast.

https://art19.com/shows/the-mutant-gene-podcast/episodes/4d11a7fe-a5e6-4902-b45a-3b7322a723c1

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Going to the CCL game in Portland later tonight, then headed up to see the season finale in Vancouver. This will be the 4th CCL I've gone to, and this one has me super excited. It sounds like we are going to be missing almost all of our offense, so here's to hoping that Nagbe, Jack Mac or (god help us) Melano can find a way to score a goal. :ohdearsass:

I'm far less nervous about the Vancouver game, but very excited to experience the city of Vancouver and BC Palace.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

It's hard for me to see them investing in advancing in the CCL over simply making the playoffs in MLS.

That match Saturday is essential for the latter, so tonight they pretty much have to go with scrubs plus Chara and Ridgewell who are both suspended Saturday for Yellows.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Welcome to GBS posted:

I'm far less nervous about the Vancouver game, but very excited to experience the city of Vancouver and BC Palace.

BC Place is a lot of fun. The beer is expensive, but comes with sippy cup lids which is the best drat thing in the world. The hanging curtains soak up a lot of noise, but it still gets fairly loud.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

porkface posted:

It's hard for me to see them investing in advancing in the CCL over simply making the playoffs in MLS.

They're invested enough to have Steven Taylor record a robocall to all season ticket holders reminding them of the match.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

highme posted:

They're invested enough to have Steven Taylor record a robocall to all season ticket holders reminding them of the match.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they didn't start a few of the regular starters beyond those who can't play this weekend. Progressing in the CCL seems like it is as important as making the playoffs to me. Not to mention the game this weekend is a road game, and we all know how the Timbers do with those this season.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

El Jebus posted:

Progressing in the CCL seems like it is as important as making the playoffs to me.

Really?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

agreed, that's crazy. CCL is way more important.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

MLS teams and fans don't seem to give a poo poo about the CCL (rightfully so) unless Montreal is making an importable run to the final.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I believe that Merritt Paulson has stated multiple times that CCL is a priority to him. I wouldn't be surprised if MP asked Caleb Porter to ensure a win, no matter the cost.

If we end up getting CONCACAFed on our home turf, it will be a sad, sad day.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Yes.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Do you mean to you personally or to the team/front office?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Don't tension sir, the Red Bulls have already done both.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Seltzer posted:

To me personally. I can't speak for the FO/team. I don't think a competitive game in a tournament is less important than a competitive game in the regular season.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The mood in Kansas City over the last several years has been that nobody cares about the CCL, and then we put out a garbage reserve team and go out in the group stage. It's an endless cycle.

e: then again, we're also doing horribly in the league. The team needs a major overhaul, I think, and the FO won't spring for any big moves until we stop backing into the playoffs on the last day of the season. Fingers crossed

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It should be every team's goal to win everything. Winning things is awesome and people want to be there when you win.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I will buy a Timbers kit and scarf and start the CR branch of the Timbers Army if they embarrass the purple shits tonight, will be hilarious if they don't make it out of the easiest group because they couldn't beat Dragon away.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Mauro Diaz is out for potentially eight months with a torn Achilles:
http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2016/10/18/13321998/mauro-diaz-surgery-torn-achillies

FCD's playoffs, and the upcoming offseason, just got a lot more interesting. Not only do we need a game-destroying #9, now we'll need a game-destroying CAM as well.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Mauro Diaz is out for potentially eight months with a torn Achilles:
http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2016/10/18/13321998/mauro-diaz-surgery-torn-achillies

FCD's playoffs, and the upcoming offseason, just got a lot more interesting. Not only do we need a game-destroying #9, now we'll need a game-destroying CAM as well.

As much as I feel for him and your fanbase: :slick:

I hope we don't blow it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Timbers are being concacaf'd, penalty not called for them.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

Timbers are being concacaf'd, penalty not called for them.

Here is a CCL thread, but I agree. Timbers scored and now Saprissa is getting concacafed.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

As much as I feel for him and your fanbase: :slick:

I hope we don't blow it.

A win or a draw gets Dallas the shield, so I'll be satisfied with a draw. The really interesting thing is that nobody has any idea how Pareja is going to replace Diaz. Do we keep the 4-2-3-1 and use Rosales as a like-for-like replacement? That's the reason Rosales was signed, but he's ancient and hasn't gone over 70 minutes yet this season. We used Acosta in that spot one game earlier this season, although he didn't do great. We also just signed some 16-year-old homegrown player who plays in that same position. However, when Diaz was out earlier this season, we used a flat 4-4-2 (with mostly uninspiring results). My one consolation is that, at least for this game, the formation will probably be a total surprise to everyone until an hour before the game, and that'll make it tough for Bruce to gameplan.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

TheNakedJimbo posted:

A win or a draw gets Dallas the shield, so I'll be satisfied with a draw. The really interesting thing is that nobody has any idea how Pareja is going to replace Diaz. Do we keep the 4-2-3-1 and use Rosales as a like-for-like replacement? That's the reason Rosales was signed, but he's ancient and hasn't gone over 70 minutes yet this season. We used Acosta in that spot one game earlier this season, although he didn't do great. We also just signed some 16-year-old homegrown player who plays in that same position. However, when Diaz was out earlier this season, we used a flat 4-4-2 (with mostly uninspiring results). My one consolation is that, at least for this game, the formation will probably be a total surprise to everyone until an hour before the game, and that'll make it tough for Bruce to gameplan.

If Urruti becomes a back to back champ, I will give him his own gold star and declare him MLS Linear Champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Your Boy Fancy posted:

If Urruti becomes a back to back champ, I will give him his own gold star and declare him MLS Linear Champion

I'm on board with this plan.

• Locked thread